• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin returning for another season

Makes me nauseous to say or think it, but on ESPN radio yesterday, here in NY, Jermey Fowler was discussing NFL coaching changes and when it came to Tomlin, not only is it ridiculous to think he’ll walk away, he expects an extension in the not so distant future. That it’s probably Tomlin’s job as long as he wants it.

Fowler spewing the same old S&!t that he has no losing seasons in 17 years, blah blah blah and even said he’s produced for extended period with poor QB play???

5 consecutive playoff losses without a win, allowing opponents 30+ in each, 40+ in 3 of those! No playoff wins in 7 years! Only 3 playoff wins since losing SB in 2010! 3 playoff wins in 13 seasons! In that time, Belichick has WON 3 SUPER BOWLS and appeared in 5, yet it’s time for a different vision! Carol has gone 1-1 in SB’s and it’s time for a different vision, The playoff loss to the Browns was every bit as embarrassing to the Steeler organization and its loyal fan base, as the Cowboys loss just was to GB!

And this guy is a national media darling!!!

Again, 5 consecutive playoff losses in the last 7 years, allowing an average of just under 40 points per game!!! Falling to first have deficits of 21-0, 21-0 and 28-0 in 3 of those games! Losing as home favorites multiple times and never ever winning as dogs in that time!!!

When is it enough to have a different vision???
They have a distinct agenda they won't alter it. I guess that different vision comes with a loss of money. Which obviously isn't going to happen win or lose. The owners are comfy in their wallet.

They have a distinct agenda they won't alter it. I guess that different vision comes with a loss of money. Which obviously isn't going to happen win or lose. The owners are comfy in their wallet.
I suppose that’s the truth!

I’ve pulled back significantly in recent years… can’t recall the last jersey I’ve bought? Definitely no one on current roster. I’ve made the trip from NY to Pitt for games 25-30 times as I recall, and have seen games in Jacksonville, Miami and New England, each at least once as well as just about every time they play the Jets/Giants in NY for some time, but I haven’t been out to Pitt now in over 8 seasons or a game in NY since ‘20???

But I guess there’s an *** for every seat whether we personally fill it or not!

Steelers are like a microcosm of the NFL when it comes to broadcasting on streaming sites… “as long as I gots mine!!!”

Only because you can verify the QB did slide AFTER the fact. THATS the problem. The QB has the option of sliding or making a cut and continuing downfield, neither will result in a penalty. A defensive player has two options, one of which could result in a major penalty and automatic first down.

If the NFL really wants to protect the QB, they change the rule that any kind of hesitation is a QB downing himself, lest a defensive player mistakes his intentions and knocks him out with a vicious hit? Right?
I mean, I don't know what else to say. Let's try this:

WHEN THE QUARTERBACK STARTS TO GIVE UP THE PLAY AND PUTS HIS FEET IN FRONT OF HIS BODY, THIS IS THE START OF A SLIDE. THIS MOTION IS ALWAYS THE START OF A SLIDE, WHILE A HESITATION DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN THAT A SLIDE IS IMMINENT.

What Pickett did in college was obviously a fake slide, and while personally I wouldn't outlaw that in the NFL, I can understand the reasoning behind it. Stopping the play because a referee thinks that a QB might decide to slide after a moment of hesitation, with all due respect, is pure idiocy.

The side view looks quite different. The first step of his juke when he slows down instantly makes defenders think slide. I am not trying to say it was anything intentional. He was trying to juke. BUT when he slows down for the juke on the side angle it looks like he is possibly going to slide. The issue here is the fact that a slide even being a possibility gives a QB an unfair advantage on making jukes like this.
No. No, my friend, the side view looks just the same. Allen is running full speed ahead, has blockers on each side, than he slows down, plants with his right foot, and cuts to his left as he sees Kazee approaching. A fine football move from a great football player who happens to play quarterback. The NFL is not going to take that kind of play out of the game, nor should they. No matter how much an embarrassed no-name defensive player complains about it while looking for an excuse.

I'll have to take a break as well. Maybe not as bad as I did with the Pirates, but if they don't care,I don't care. This last season was awful.

It took a while to reach this point of being indifferent and emotionally detached, but I have fully arrived.

It's not like I'm a fan of the NFL product. I like the playoffs even less than the regular season. To me it mostly looks like bullshit.
Same. They’ll be like the Penguins to me, where I casually follow and want them to do well but no longer must-see TV.
The Pirates have been dead to me for a while.

WHEN THE QUARTERBACK STARTS TO GIVE UP THE PLAY AND PUTS HIS FEET IN FRONT OF HIS BODY, THIS IS THE START OF A SLIDE. THIS MOTION IS ALWAYS THE START OF A SLIDE, WHILE A HESITATION DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN THAT A SLIDE IS IMMINENT.

What Pickett did in college was obviously a fake slide, and while personally I wouldn't outlaw that in the NFL, I can understand the reasoning behind it. Stopping the play because a referee thinks that a QB might decide to slide after a moment of hesitation, with all due respect, is pure idiocy.

Devils advocate here... After Pickett did his slide, college immediately banned it. When questioned why the nfl didnt do the same, the director of nfl officiating said they didnt have to..

"The college rule is different than the NFL rule,” Blandino said. “once you start the slide — once you break down — and your backside starts to go toward the ground. It’s over. The officials are supposed to kill it. End the play. You can’t advance the football. You can’t fumble it. You basically become a defenseless player. And that’s basically what Pickett did.”"

So the fake slide is already a dead play in the NFL

Now I tend to agree that its on the edge with Allens run. His butt might have, for a split second, get in front of his torso .. but its not a clear fake slide...

If an actual rule change were to happen, it should just be that qbs who dont immediately slide after reaching the first down marker should not have that option going forward... they are just runners at tgat point

WHEN THE QUARTERBACK STARTS TO GIVE UP THE PLAY AND PUTS HIS FEET IN FRONT OF HIS BODY,
Right, pulls up, hesitates.
THIS IS THE START OF A SLIDE. THIS MOTION IS ALWAYS THE START OF A SLIDE, WHILE A HESITATION DOES NOT NECESSARILY MEAN THAT A SLIDE IS IMMINENT.
Right, and as I said, the defensive players needs to guess right or risk getting a penalty, giving up a first down, and getting fined.
They don’t stop the play when the QB begins to slide, they spot the ball there. They could do the same with a hesitation.

Devils advocate here... After Pickett did his slide, college immediately banned it. When questioned why the nfl didnt do the same, the director of nfl officiating said they didnt have to..

"The college rule is different than the NFL rule,” Blandino said. “once you start the slide — once you break down — and your backside starts to go toward the ground. It’s over. The officials are supposed to kill it. End the play. You can’t advance the football. You can’t fumble it. You basically become a defenseless player. And that’s basically what Pickett did.”"

So the fake slide is already a dead play in the NFL
Well then, I guess that's why they let Allen keep going. Because he in no way prompted use of that exisiting rule.

Right, pulls up, hesitates.
If you simply cannot understand that the concepts of hesitiating and actually beginning to slide are not one and the same, then I give up.
Right, and as I said, the defensive players needs to guess right or risk getting a penalty, giving up a first down, and getting fined.
They don't need to "guess right." They need to make a tackle if the quarterback hesitiates and keeps running, or try to avoid forward contact with the quarterback once he gives himself up on the play. Like when Myles Jack hit Allen after he was sliding, and Jack threw up his hands as if to say "Not me!" He could have easily stood there and accepted Allen at his feet -- he knew that he had made a mistake, immediately.
They don’t stop the play when the QB begins to slide, they spot the ball there. They could do the same with a hesitation.
LOL. Wrong. They do stop the play. See @madinsomniac's post above.

Stopping the play when a player is giving himself up makes sense. Stopping a play because a player hesitates while he's running the ball would be pure conjecture and beyond stupid.

If you simply cannot understand that the concepts of hesitiating and actually beginning to slide are not one and the same, then I give up.

They don't need to "guess right." They need to make a tackle if the quarterback hesitiates and keeps running, or try to avoid forward contact with the quarterback once he gives himself up on the play. Like when Myles Jack hit Allen after he was sliding, and Jack threw up his hands as if to say "Not me!" He could have easily stood there and accepted Allen at his feet -- he knew that he had made a mistake, immediately.

Stopping the play when a player is giving himself up makes sense. Stopping a play because a player hesitates while he's running the ball would be pure conjecture and beyond stupid.
Just a heads-up before you waste years of your life like Tim has done. You can go back and forth with Trog until this thread is 800 pages long. He'll never give an inch.
It is hard to win an argument against an intelligent person. It's impossible to win against a dumb-a$$.

I have seen QBs running to the sideline get hit inbounds and the defender gets a flag. I have seen QBs run to the sideline and defenders pull up and the QB sneaks in a few extra yards because the defender pulled up. The NFL should simply go back to how it was before. If the QB decides to run then he is like any other player. If they don't want hit they will go down. They won't of course. Watching some QBs get hit while in the pocket and no flags are thrown vs other QBs in the pocket get a flag thrown if they get touched at the discretion of the ref has game-changing implications anymore. When after every play you look around to see if a flag is thrown every time a QB is touched there is something wrong with the game.

I suppose that’s the truth!

I’ve pulled back significantly in recent years… can’t recall the last jersey I’ve bought? Definitely no one on current roster. I’ve made the trip from NY to Pitt for games 25-30 times as I recall, and have seen games in Jacksonville, Miami and New England, each at least once as well as just about every time they play the Jets/Giants in NY for some time, but I haven’t been out to Pitt now in over 8 seasons or a game in NY since ‘20???

But I guess there’s an *** for every seat whether we personally fill it or not!

Steelers are like a microcosm of the NFL when it comes to broadcasting on streaming sites… “as long as I gots mine!!!”
It is a big business now. Teams like the Steelers, Cowboys, Packers and Raiders make $$$ regardless of their on field record. They’re established brands. Fans are going to funnel money in based on franchise alone

What separates the two? A few seconds or a few one-hundredths of a second?
Again. You’re talking about professional athletes running upward of 20 mph towards each other. Do you really think that every personal foul for hitting a QB while sliding was because the defensive player had bad intentions?
Not when they BEGIN the slide, they blow the whistle after the fact.
No more than so many of the other judgement calls.

I have seen QBs running to the sideline get hit inbounds and the defender gets a flag. I have seen QBs run to the sideline and defenders pull up and the QB sneaks in a few extra yards because the defender pulled up. The NFL should simply go back to how it was before. If the QB decides to run then he is like any other player. If they don't want hit they will go down. They won't of course. Watching some QBs get hit while in the pocket and no flags are thrown vs other QBs in the pocket get a flag thrown if they get touched at the discretion of the ref has game-changing implications anymore. When after every play you look around to see if a flag is thrown every time a QB is touched there is something wrong with the game.
The roughing and late hit rules protecting the QBs often have ridiculous judgment callls. For the integrity of the game, make it an even playing field and let the QBs know it’s also up to them to protect themselves.

What separates the two? A few seconds or a few one-hundredths of a second?

Again. You’re talking about professional athletes running upward of 20 mph towards each other. Do you really think that every personal foul for hitting a QB while sliding was because the defensive player had bad intentions?

Not when they BEGIN the slide, they blow the whistle after the fact.

No more than so many of the other judgement calls.
Awesome post. You CRUSHED it!!!!!.

/Troglodyte drops the might a walks out of the room.

The roughing and late hit rules protecting the QBs often have ridiculous judgment callls. For the integrity of the game, make it an even playing field and let the QBs know it’s also up to them to protect themselves.
Agreed.

did not want to start a new thread. and no link as I heard it on radio, but apparently Rooney came out today and said that he definitely is extending Tomlin

Ummm, that wasn't my point and it's not ironic. Andy Reid completely turned around a 2-14 franchise (and one which had had 4 wins or less in 4 of its prior 6 seasons). Tomlin inherited a roster with a bunch of players one year removed from a Super Bowl title. What does one have to do with the other?

Also add the FACT that Tomlin also got a Highly talented HOF QB in his prime, on top of the gifted talented team he inherited.

Salute the nation

Just to be clear I wasn't necessarily arguing against a new coach.

I was coming from the "be careful what you wish for" "err on the side of caution" "devils advocate" side of the issue.

I would like for him to retire on his own accord, the sooner the better. Like at the conclusion of " another winning season" next year.
His tenure has been longer than Cowhers.
It's time Mike.

Thanks for the Super Bowl. You did well with Cowher's players.
A lot don't recognize when it's time. There are two approaches when it comes to managing a team. You can respect your all-time greats and let them go out on their own terms or take the approach of getting rid of a player (or coach) a year too early rather than a year too late.

Not sure if this was posted anywhere. Buckle up.

Steelers president Art Rooney II told Gerry Dulac of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the team plans to extend Tomlin’s contract, and the two sides are expected to have little difficulty finding an agreement.
It'll be three years just like it was last time he only had one-year left on his deal. I'll be stunned if it isn't.