• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Trump - Make America Great Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Deljzc;

You can say the " poles " are off. I think they are + or - 5% almost always. Okay, let's say you are right. Trump can be overstated or understated on the poles. Consider this:

Look at the crowds Trump draws! Then look at everyone else including Clinton. Frontrunners who draw the biggest crowds are often for real.

The media is doing everything it can to take down Trump, and label him this or that. It is my contention that some people like Trump but are shy to admit it. Put these people in a private booth, and they have no such worry.

Folks need a tax break. Legal cheap labor it getting creamed by illegals in many cases. And many working class people who pay their taxes are tired of the people who vote for a living outnumbering the people who work and pay taxes. Trumps middle-class message, I think is a home run for him if articulated correctly.

I disagree on the tax breaks. Every republican promises cuts and we got some under Bush, but it didn't make a damn of noticeable difference to me. And I am very typical middle-class America. I live in an area with a pretty high standard of living and my household is between the 50k-100k range. I'm getting by on a single bread winner because my wife and I believe in staying home with the kids means something.

I don't want a tax cut. Giving me $500 more dollars a year won't mean ****. My wife will just spend it at Target or Walmart or Amazon.

What I do want is common sense taxation. I want to get rid of loopholes. I want the tax code to be easier. I'm tired of "hidden taxes". I'm tired of tolls going up and tax on my beer going up and speed traps (I haven't had a ticket in 10 years but...). I want to tax the **** out of wall street CEO's giving themselves $20 million bonuses. I want Roger Goodell to pay $10 million in federal taxes. Period. No ******* way to get out of it.

I want small business to pay less tax than Exxon or GM. If there's a sliding scale for personal income tax, I want a sliding scale for corporate taxes too.

Big government has led to Big business as its antithesis. I'm tired of companies gobbling each other up to get bigger and have greater influence of government so big no one but a truckload of lawyers knows what the **** is going on.

Walgreens needs to buy RiteAid? Really? Drug companies are now "too big to fail". Pharmacies won't be far behind. We already know banks are. Hospital conglomerates will be too big to fail in another decade. Big government has led to this.

I want smaller government, but I don't necessarily want less taxes. I want a balanced budget or reasonable yearly debt spending. In good times (5%+ economic growth), it should be a MANDATORY balance budget spending or even better MANDATORY federal government pays off some debt.

The bullshit cut taxes by a trillion dollars and still balance the budget by Carson, Trump, Cruz and some others is utter nonsense. Every one of their tax plans only works because they model the numbers believing their plans will result in 10%+ economic growth. That is a bold faced lie to the American people.

I like Kasich because he's the only one telling it like it is. A balance budget isn't going to happen with tax cuts and unrealistic growth projections. A balance budget will happen with tax code reforms that yield the same government income and CUTTING $500 billion dollars in federal government spending, some of which will have to happen to defense spending too.

I'm all for raising the age of retirement and when social security kicks in. We live longer. We need to work longer. End of discussion. That will save money. We need to cut entitlement programs. We need to get out of some "state" business.

All this is workable but it takes compromise. It will take time and give/take. Anyone that believes the bullshit "cut taxes and the economic boom will take care of the budget" that some of these republican candidates are spewing is a fool.

I disagree on the tax breaks. Every republican promises cuts and we got some under Bush, but it didn't make a damn of noticeable difference to me. And I am very typical middle-class America. I live in an area with a pretty high standard of living and my household is between the 50k-100k range. I'm getting by on a single bread winner because my wife and I believe in staying home with the kids means something.

I don't want a tax cut. Giving me $500 more dollars a year won't mean ****. My wife will just spend it at Target or Walmart or Amazon.

What I do want is common sense taxation. I want to get rid of loopholes. I want the tax code to be easier. I'm tired of "hidden taxes". I'm tired of tolls going up and tax on my beer going up and speed traps (I haven't had a ticket in 10 years but...). I want to tax the **** out of wall street CEO's giving themselves $20 million bonuses. I want Roger Goodell to pay $10 million in federal taxes. Period. No ******* way to get out of it.

I want small business to pay less tax than Exxon or GM. If there's a sliding scale for personal income tax, I want a sliding scale for corporate taxes too.

Big government has led to Big business as its antithesis. I'm tired of companies gobbling each other up to get bigger and have greater influence of government so big no one but a truckload of lawyers knows what the **** is going on.

Walgreens needs to buy RiteAid? Really? Drug companies are now "too big to fail". Pharmacies won't be far behind. We already know banks are. Hospital conglomerates will be too big to fail in another decade. Big government has led to this.

I want smaller government, but I don't necessarily want less taxes. I want a balanced budget or reasonable yearly debt spending. In good times (5%+ economic growth), it should be a MANDATORY balance budget spending or even better MANDATORY federal government pays off some debt.

The bullshit cut taxes by a trillion dollars and still balance the budget by Carson, Trump, Cruz and some others is utter nonsense. Every one of their tax plans only works because they model the numbers believing their plans will result in 10%+ economic growth. That is a bold faced lie to the American people.

I like Kasich because he's the only one telling it like it is. A balance budget isn't going to happen with tax cuts and unrealistic growth projections. A balance budget will happen with tax code reforms that yield the same government income and CUTTING $500 billion dollars in federal government spending, some of which will have to happen to defense spending too.

I'm all for raising the age of retirement and when social security kicks in. We live longer. We need to work longer. End of discussion. That will save money. We need to cut entitlement programs. We need to get out of some "state" business.

All this is workable but it takes compromise. It will take time and give/take. Anyone that believes the bullshit "cut taxes and the economic boom will take care of the budget" that some of these republican candidates are spewing is a fool.

Deljzc,

You're a smart guy. What if your family would save several thousand, not just $500.00 a year?

I urge you to take a look at Trump's tax plan and evaluate later if necessary.

http://taxfoundation.org/article/details-and-analysis-donald-trump-s-tax-plan

Under Trump's plan, married couples with a household income of 50,000 to 100,000 are would pay a federal tax of just 10%. You might save 3,000-5,000 a year. A game changer for any middle class family.

Economist's can agree or disagree on many topics, but one thing they almost universally agree on is the 70% give or take a few percentages points of the economy is based on consumer spending. Families could use the tax relief money on education, getting out of debt, medical bills, starting a business...whatever! One thing is clear, the middle class can's slide backward for another 8 years. They are near a tipping point.

Give the middle-class some relief! The middle-class side backward during the past 6 years

As for social security, I think it needs a change, and what I'm about to say could surprise you. I think much of Chris Rock's act is based on racial stereotypes, but he said someone once that made me think..

If you black, Social security doesn't pay, because the average black man dies at 67. He spends his whole life putting in, and what does he get out of it?

My point, leave the retriement ages for social security alone!

Last edited:
You can't leave the retirement ages alone and expect to do anything with the budget. Entitlements are over 70% of the budget and GROWING. You can't have people living 30 years on SSI. Anybody that thinks they can leave the age limits alone and do anything with the budget isn't serious about the debt.

I am not for raising the retirement age. People who put 40-50 years of work in should get to enjoy a few years of freedom. I think that there are thousands of things that can be cut to not have to raise retirement age. We give way too much foreign aid, spend trillions on fighting unwinnable wars, and in our own country we seem more concerned about making sure prisoners are comfortable than people not in jail. Also the whole welfare system is disgraceful. I would like to hear the candidates talk more about that.

In my opinion raising the retirement age is just more punishment for the working class. It may be a more simple fix, but it does not correct some of the main problems with the country.

I am not for raising the retirement age. People who put 40-50 years of work in should get to enjoy a few years of freedom. I think that there are thousands of things that can be cut to not have to raise retirement age. We give way too much foreign aid, spend trillions on fighting unwinnable wars, and in our own country we seem more concerned about making sure prisoners are comfortable than people not in jail. Also the whole welfare system is disgraceful. I would like to hear the candidates talk more about that.

In my opinion raising the retirement age is just more punishment for the working class. It may be a more simple fix, but it does not correct some of the main problems with the country.

Nobody is talking about raising it for people that are on it now. But if you don't raise it for people that are still working (below 40) then the debt is going to continue to explode no matter what you do in other areas of the budget. Again we are talking about over 70% of the budget NOW. In a few years it will be 90% of the total budget. There isn't enough money anywhere else no matter what politicians say. The money spent on the wars are temporary and are even part of the overall military budget. But SSI isn't a one time thing. It's math not opinion. Again, anybody that is really serious about debt reduction has to do something with entitlements. Other wise they aren't serious or don't know what they are talking about.

We've already raised the retirement age. In fact, we did it often when the program first started.

https://www.ssa.gov/pressoffice/IncRetAge.html

But for some stupid reason, the 67 year old age has been stuck for anyone born after 1960. This is despite the fact life expectancy for a person born in 1960 is TEN YEARS less than someone born in 2010. Ten Years.

http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005148.html

We should have already raised the retirement age for people born after 1970 and after 1980 already. And if we did that, the social security solubility would be greatly different in projections.

My problem is like i said before the true working class will get shafted again. The people who put in their time 40-50 years working at the ones paying the most into social security. Why make them work another 5-10 years?

Especially when you have people abusing the system. I know several people on Social security disability less than 40 years old who are more than capable of holding down a job. Not only do they get SSI they receive medical, food stamps, cash assistance, etc etc.. They are taken care of better than the people out there busting their *****. There has to be a better solution than forcing people to work till they are 70 or 75 or whatever.

I agree some aspects of disability benefits are being abused by some. Some people took extremely poor care of themselves with addiction, eating poorly or self-abuse and has led to the very physical/mental disability social security now covers. It's a tricky subject to try and assign a certain amount of blame for those actions and let them reap what they sow rather than the government saving them.

Reactions: MTC
The other day at Walmart one of the greeters looked like she was 75 years old and was on portable oxygen. You have people like that working and then people in their 20's and 30's saying they can't work cause they have a hangnail. Just is not right

My problem is like i said before the true working class will get shafted again. The people who put in their time 40-50 years working at the ones paying the most into social security. Why make them work another 5-10 years?

Especially when you have people abusing the system. I know several people on Social security disability less than 40 years old who are more than capable of holding down a job. Not only do they get SSI they receive medical, food stamps, cash assistance, etc etc.. They are taken care of better than the people out there busting their *****. There has to be a better solution than forcing people to work till they are 70 or 75 or whatever.

There is always abuses but without raising the retirement age none of that matters. You're dealing with pennies in abuse in comparison with TRILLIONS in unfunded liabilities. What is your solution to the debt? If you say anything other than raise the retirement age then you aren't serious about the debt.

The other day at Walmart one of the greeters looked like she was 75 years old and was on portable oxygen. You have people like that working and then people in their 20's and 30's saying they can't work cause they have a hangnail. Just is not right

Again NOBODY is talking about taking SSI away from the elderly.

Fixing the budget and SSI are both really simple. Apply the Constitution and shrink the National Government by a huge amount. Privatize SSI and get it out of the hands of the Pols and stop it paying out to people that have never paid in to it.

Fixing the budget and SSI are both really simple. Apply the Constitution and shrink the National Government by a huge amount. Privatize SSI and get it out of the hands of the Pols and stop it paying out to people that have never paid in to it.

What? You mean let evil rich people keep their own money? Have you lost your mind?

I await the fed takeover of private IRAs and 401ks. It's coming. That's a huge chunk of money the Dems aren't going to sit back and ignore. Look for them to frame it as decades of tax breaks for the rich that need to be repaid. Meanwhile, you can work for the government for 20 years, retire and get a salary for life and no one bats an eyelash.

What? You mean let evil rich people keep their own money? Have you lost your mind?

I await the fed takeover of private IRAs and 401ks. It's coming. That's a huge chunk of money the Dems aren't going to sit back and ignore. Look for them to frame it as decades of tax breaks for the rich that need to be repaid. Meanwhile, you can work for the government for 20 years, retire and get a salary for life and no one bats an eyelash.

That might be the thing that starts open armed civil war.

I agree some aspects of disability benefits are being abused by some. Some people took extremely poor care of themselves with addiction, eating poorly or self-abuse and has led to the very physical/mental disability social security now covers. It's a tricky subject to try and assign a certain amount of blame for those actions and let them reap what they sow rather than the government saving them.

^This^

Not necessarily let the evil rich people keep their money. Being taxed needs to go into something. But if you're not putting into the pot. You shouldn't be able to take out of and collect benefits. America's problem is that we have too much lazy people who dont wanna work and are willing to live off of welfare, etc.

You can't leave the retirement ages alone and expect to do anything with the budget. Entitlements are over 70% of the budget and GROWING. You can't have people living 30 years on SSI. Anybody that thinks they can leave the age limits alone and do anything with the budget isn't serious about the debt.

I'm willing to have that conversation as soon as conservatives are willing to stop building zillion dollar jets that we don't need and that don't work anyway.

There's a **** ton of waste. All over, not just social welfare. Moreover, without something resembling a flat tax without any deductions, we'll never see "fair" taxation.

I'm willing to have that conversation as soon as conservatives are willing to stop building zillion dollar jets that we don't need and that don't work anyway.

There's a **** ton of waste. All over, not just social welfare. Moreover, without something resembling a flat tax without any deductions, we'll never see "fair" taxation.

We actually do need those jets. We just need to change our contracting and acquisition practices. Also defense is a Constitutionally mandated and authorized function of the Federal Government while "social welfare" is no where to be found in our governments charter. I agree about taxation though and feel that The Fair tax is our best option for this.

You could get rid of 100% of the waste and it wouldn't scratch the surface of the deficit. You're talking about millions of dollars compared to TRILLIONS. I'm all for getting rid of waste. I'd shut down the dept. of Education and the Dept. of Energy. Also those "zillion dollar jets" which don't exist are pork that go to both dems and reps.

Give me ONE democrat that has given a plan to cut spending just ONE.

Again if you don't touch entitlements then you are just bitching to be bitching. None of your myths about zillion dollar jets are going to do anything to the national debt of even the yearly deficits.

Trump and Cruz's ideas are polar opposites with the exception of immigration.

Social Security is easy to fix, just raise the cap on wages to where it needs to be.

there's a cap on wages?

Status
Not open for further replies.