• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Unemployment at 4.9% Here's Obama by the numbers

We had a '68 Impala when I was a kid. First brand-new car my dad ever bought. Two door, green, 307 Powerglide, vinyl top, and fender skirts. Straight pimpin' yo.
My mom loved that car. She just thought the vinyl top and fender skirts were the ****.

When I was born I was brought home from the hospital in a '67 Chevelle, also their first new car purchase. My parents sold it to a hippie couple in '73 for all of $250. It was it near perfect condition.

Conservatives tell black people that they should go to school, get educated or learn a trade and become self sufficient.

Liberals tell blacks that they can't possibly compete and need extra help. Black people are so incompetent that can't even be expected to arrange to get a free ID card to vote.

Which side is racist?

The truth is finally coming out on this subject and the backlash ain't purdy. We've gone from Travon Martin to Black Lives Matter without passing go. My favorite Mexican Soothsayer and entertaining linguist Fred, just published his latest prodigious prognostication on this very subject. here's his last couple paragraphs to give yinz an idea.

Betting on Gray Sludge: What Fun
http://www.unz.com/freed/betting-on-gray-sludge-what-fun/

The economy will continue its slide while the rich, no longer attached to any particular country, will become stupefyingly rich. (Someone recently paid $172 million for a Modigliani). If things go bad in Manhattan, they can easily move to the south of France.

I do not see how civil unrest (it won’t be civil) can fail to arise. Comfortable people, which white Americans still barely are, do not readily clash with others. But comfort dwindles. The young now often have to live with their parents. People with advanced degrees work as baristas at Starbucks. Universities use “adjunct professors,” academic migrant workers, to lower pay and avoid providing benefits. Many companies hire people as “individual contractors,” likewise to avoid paying benefits. Large numbers who want to work are on food stamps and unemployment.

Not parenthetically, I remember being in Italy at breakfast with a tour group. The restaurant had not ordered enough food for the buffet. These sophisticated and civil people began grabbing, reaching over each other, to get the yogurt and doughnuts. Civilization is a veneer, and not a thick one. Nationally, we are running out of doughnuts.

One thing is clear: America is no longer “one nation under God” (who is, I suppose, an undocumented alien) .It is an unhappy land of warring tribes, of peoples who have nothing in common and do not like each other. Blacks, whites, browns, Syrians, Somalis, Southerners, Yankees, Christians, mostly detesting each other. The battle lines are drawn. The question is what kind of battle it will be.

mOonS1v.png

Didn't you see Super Size Me? The fat poor and oppressed are being victimized by McDonald's.

We had a '68 Impala when I was a kid. First brand-new car my dad ever bought. Two door, green, 307 Powerglide, vinyl top, and fender skirts. Straight pimpin' yo.
My mom loved that car. She just thought the vinyl top and fender skirts were the ****.
My '68 Firebird was bought new by my grandmother. My dad loved it and said he'd buy it whenever she was ready to trade it in, which she did in 1973. Dad drove it for a few years and handed it down to me in 1976 when he got a new car.

Yeah....mine was a hand me down from my Mom when I was 17. Sort of a land yacht, and only a 327, but I was being backyard mechanic guy with a neighbor who kinda took me under his greasy wing. Bought a junker with a good 4 speed Muncy, towed it home, chiseled out a hole and threw 'er in there. Was fun to drive then but the drive shaft didn't fit precisely and every once in a while it'd drop at the rear end. One of the hood hinges sprung so I removed them both thinking I'd replace them......meanwhile. The starter **** so I replaced it but the shimming wasn't perfect so I'd often have to jump it. Then I hit a wall w/ the passenger door so it didn't open. Guess it was a hooftie-mobile. Good times.

The truth is finally coming out on this subject and the backlash ain't purdy. We've gone from Travon Martin to Black Lives Matter without passing go. My favorite Mexican Soothsayer and entertaining linguist Fred, just published his latest prodigious prognostication on this very subject. here's his last couple paragraphs to give yinz an idea.

mOonS1v.png

I've been saying for a long time that what we now have in this country is exactly what the plutocrats have wanted all along. Everyone on the bottom rungs fighting and blaming each other while they sit in their ivory towers laughing their ***** off.

We had a 68 GTO when I was a kid. That car was so cool. My mom traded it for a 63 nova. It was the first car I ever drove. Loved it too.

This propped up economy is scary as hell to me. I encourage my daughter's to go to college not knowing 100% if it's the right thing to do anymore. It shouldn't be that way. I will help and support them whenever they need me.

We had a 68 GTO when I was a kid. That car was so cool. My mom traded it for a 63 nova. It was the first car I ever drove. Loved it too.

This propped up economy is scary as hell to me. I encourage my daughter's to go to college not knowing 100% if it's the right thing to do anymore. It shouldn't be that way. I will help and support them whenever they need me.

It depends. Pick an education for a line of work where there is demand. This eliminates any major whose title ends in the word "studies".

Ron Jr. likes history and museums so he got a B.A. in history and a master's degree in public history at Duquesne. Although he did get a job at the Heinz History Center he found that museum work didn't pay all that much so he found a job at the University of Pittsburgh where the research end of it is no so different and works at the museum on weekends.

I went back to school at the age of 53 for an associate's degree at the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science, which is actually one of the more highly regarded schools in the country. Everyone will need me sooner or later. If you don't mind working on dead folks it can pay pretty well but there is also more to it than that. You need at minimum an associate's degree to get in (I'd recommend business administration) and that program is one year if you go full-time and two years if you do it part-time online like I did. That's three years or a little less at fairly minimal cost and there is a lot of demand and it's growing. Cost me about $15k. You can do the associate's degree at a community college for not a lot of money.

Regardless, in the Obamunism economy I would recommend a line of work where you need to be licensed or certified and that not just anyone can do. That's one reason I went into the line of work that I did. As I have said before, the wealthiest person I know personally is a plumber. Now he owns the company and doesn't do so much plumbing himself these days but his boat has two full bathrooms in it.

Last edited:
One of the wealthiest people I know (that I don't work for) is my sister-in-law's boyfriend. He's an electrician that has other electricians working under him as independent contractors. He works a lot in the field, but not crazy hours. Normal M-F stuff.

Makes a killing. 150k to 200k easy. The rumor is he's a millionaire, but I don't ask. Doesn't live extravagantly. His house is next to AMTRAK northeast corridor lines. But he has a HUGE garage that he works on cars and motorcycles. He has a souped up trailer (has living space plus space for two Harleys) and goes away on weekend trips all the time.

You want to make money? Be very good at something people need. And be reliable. And be interested in learning about your job and getting better. You can't comprehend how many people aren't reliable anymore and just don't give a ****. Don't show up for work. Just blow things off. Take fake sick days all the time. It's crazy.

It depends. Pick an education for a line of work where there is demand. This eliminates any major whose title ends in the word "studies".

Ron Jr. likes history and museums so he got a B.A. in history and a master's degree in public history at Duquesne. Although he did get a job at the Heinz History Center he found that museum work didn't pay all that much so he found a job at the University of Pittsburgh where the research end of it is no so different and works at the museum on weekends.

I went back to school at the age of 53 for an associate's degree at the Pittsburgh Institute of Mortuary Science, which is actually one of the more highly regarded schools in the country. Everyone will need me sooner or later. If you don't mind working on dead folks it can pay pretty well but there is also more to it than that. You need at minimum an associate's degree to get in (I'd recommend business administration) and that program is one year if you go full-time and two years if you do it part-time online like I did. That's three years or a little less at fairly minimal cost and there is a lot of demand and it's growing. Cost me about $15k. You can do the associate's degree at a community college for not a lot of money.

Regardless, in the Obamunism economy I would recommend a line of work where you need to be licensed or certified and that not just anyone can do. That's one reason I went into the line of work that I did. As I have said before, the wealthiest person I know personally is a plumber. Now he owns the company and doesn't do so much plumbing himself these days but his boat has two full bathrooms in it.

I always tell my kids if I had it to do over I would have studied finance and worked on Wall Street. The wealthiest person I know is a nurse who got her MBA and started as working as a financial analyst for the pharmaceutical industry. She's gotten 7 figure bonuses numerous times over. She's a crazy workaholic though, but will retire in a few years sitting on 10s of millions of dollars.

My kids have interest in some very expensive colleges, we're right at the spot financially where we won't qualify for much financial aid but we for damn sure can't afford 50,000/year x 2. We'll have to be very careful about balancing what they want to do with where they want to go...you want to be a journalist, go to a state school.

I agree with all of that. We laugh about careers launched with degrees that include the word "studies" all of the time. It seems that the trades have been overlooked as viable careers for some time now. It probably has something to do with not needing to 50,000 in debt to become an electrician, plumber, carpenter, etc.

My eldest is soon to be a junior in her quest towards her business accounting degree. She wants to be a CPA. I hope India doesn't kill that field the way they're being allowed to impact the IT field. Maybe they already are. I don't know. Like I said, scary.

My kids have interest in some very expensive colleges, we're right at the spot financially where we won't qualify for much financial aid but we for damn sure can't afford 50,000/year x 2. We'll have to be very careful about balancing what they want to do with where they want to go...you want to be a journalist, go to a state school.

We are just over the limit for ANY assistance at all. Whoever formulated the FAFSA bottom line is mentally challenged in my opinion. There is no way we can afford to pay what they think we can. I suppose unlike my daughter's friends who are getting free rides and their families we should be driving 20 year old vehicles and living in squalor. Thanks gubmint for making everything so fair!!!! /sarcasm

Part 2...Oh yeah...and get a divorce and hit the jackpot! My daughters' ex whose parents are divorced is getting a ton of assistance. His dad is making a 6 figure income in IT. His mom is "shacking up" with her boyfriend until after "Dick" graduates from college. He owns hundreds of acres of primo farmland and is a millionaire. She is a nurse who limits her hours so as not to impede the milking of the student aide system. It's great how a little rich kid can make out so well yet we get NOTHING for doing all of the right things and being married. It's even more sad that I actually considered a "divorce" on paper only because I felt guilty that my daughter has to take out these loans. The interest she has to pay even while still a full-time student is 4.68%!!!! Oh...that makes me soooo mad! I'm trying to pay the interest as we go so that she doesn't have compounded interest to deal with when she graduates. The "system" is ******!

My eldest is soon to be a junior in her quest towards her business accounting degree. She wants to be a CPA. I hope India doesn't kill that field the way they're being allowed to impact the IT field. Maybe they already are. I don't know. Like I said, scary.
My wife is the lead accountant at her company but only went to business school and is not a CPA. When they hired a new head for her department they went looking for a CPA. There are other jobs besides being a straight accountant.

My wife is the lead accountant at her company but only went to business school and is not a CPA. When they hired a new head for her department they went looking for a CPA. There are other jobs besides being a straight accountant.

Oh she knows. She says to me one day...'I could be a forensic accountant for the FBI. They are packing heat.' I think she's going to be fine as long as our economy doesn't implode.

Part 2...Oh yeah...and get a divorce and hit the jackpot! My daughters' ex whose parents are divorced is getting a ton of assistance. His dad is making a 6 figure income in IT. His mom is "shacking up" with her boyfriend until after "Dick" graduates from college. He owns hundreds of acres of primo farmland and is a millionaire. She is a nurse who limits her hours so as not to impede the milking of the student aide system. It's great how a little rich kid can make out so well yet we get NOTHING for doing all of the right things and being married. It's even more sad that I actually considered a "divorce" on paper only because I felt guilty that my daughter has to take out these loans. The interest she has to pay even while still a full-time student is 4.68%!!!! Oh...that makes me soooo mad! I'm trying to pay the interest as we go so that she doesn't have compounded interest to deal with when she graduates. The "system" is ******!

Yep...my husband is self-employed, he makes a good living but we were considering that he might be better off if he just takes on fewer clients next year...if we get below a certain income level we can get a lot more aid...might even qualify for health insurance subsidies...why not work a whole lot less for the same amount of net income? Those are some ****** up incentives right there...and people wonder why so many people have left the workforce altogether.

Yeah, my friend who is divorced and has primary custody gets to base aid on her income alone...even though Dad makes 6 figures. We'd be better off divorced too, I'm looking for a job but I won't make near what my husband does.

Last edited:
One of the wealthiest people I know (that I don't work for) is my sister-in-law's boyfriend. He's an electrician that has other electricians working under him as independent contractors. He works a lot in the field, but not crazy hours. Normal M-F stuff.

Makes a killing. 150k to 200k easy. The rumor is he's a millionaire, but I don't ask. Doesn't live extravagantly. His house is next to AMTRAK northeast corridor lines. But he has a HUGE garage that he works on cars and motorcycles. He has a souped up trailer (has living space plus space for two Harleys) and goes away on weekend trips all the time.

You want to make money? Be very good at something people need. And be reliable. And be interested in learning about your job and getting better. You can't comprehend how many people aren't reliable anymore and just don't give a ****. Don't show up for work. Just blow things off. Take fake sick days all the time. It's crazy.

Love the story, but $150K to $200K a year isn't a "killing". I'm not trying to be pesky or pick a fight, but there's a lot to "making a killing" - where you live and the associated cost of living, what jobs do or don't pay in an area, etc.

I live in the Washington DC metro area. $150K a year here is living in an apartment or a modest town-home. My home, which is not a McMansion, would sell for over $600,000 and we're a middle class neighborhood. I could sell the house I live in, move 1.5 hours from here (no kidding) across a state line into WV and purchase a 4,000 - 5,000+ square foot home in cash and still put money in the bank after, because the cost of living is so drastically lower there.

$150K in Danville VA is a GREAT, high-brow living. In Washington DC or San Francisco, it's a middle income existence.

$8/hr
2 kids

make yourself more marketable - find another job - a better job

Love the story, but $150K to $200K a year isn't a "killing". I'm not trying to be pesky or pick a fight, but there's a lot to "making a killing" - where you live and the associated cost of living, what jobs do or don't pay in an area, etc.

I live in the Washington DC metro area. $150K a year here is living in an apartment or a modest town-home. My home, which is not a McMansion, would sell for over $600,000 and we're a middle class neighborhood. I could sell the house I live in, move 1.5 hours from here (no kidding) across a state line into WV and purchase a 4,000 - 5,000+ square foot home in cash and still put money in the bank after, because the cost of living is so drastically lower there.

$150K in Danville VA is a GREAT, high-brow living. In Washington DC or San Francisco, it's a middle income existence.

the wealthiest guy I know, whom I'm thankfully not related to, lives near a beach, pulls down six figures with an annual bonus of five figures, has a trophy wife, two loving and respectable kids and drives a yellow american made convertible sports car. unfortunately, he's a condescending ******* ******* with personality of wet cardboard and a face that makes Ted Cruz projectile vomit and want to stomp. yet, for all his warts (and there are many), he has a college degree and is employed in a small professional environment where he is but one of a handful of non-virgins. had he not gotten that degree, he'd likely be shoveling **** in a barn and drinking Stag beer heavily every night.

Subway mom:

What does your husband do for a living? Oh, not married.

Well, how much does he pay to help you raise your kids (he's the father, for @#$% sake)? Nothing?

So what you really want is not $15/hour, but instead for the taxpayer to act as the kids' father and your husband and help you pay your way, right?

Sorry. I have my own wife and two kids, and am busy paying for our own ****.

Or...don't have kids that you can't afford to feed! Liberals would say everyone deserves to have as many children as they want. BS.

I thought Liberals wanted people to abort as many babies as possible? I'm confused now.

the wealthiest guy I know, whom I'm thankfully not related to, lives near a beach, pulls down six figures with an annual bonus of five figures, has a trophy wife, two loving and respectable kids and drives a yellow american made convertible sports car. unfortunately, he's a condescending ******* ******* with personality of wet cardboard and a face that makes Ted Cruz projectile vomit and want to stomp. yet, for all his warts (and there are many), he has a college degree and is employed in a small professional environment where he is but one of a handful of non-virgins. had he not gotten that degree, he'd likely be shoveling **** in a barn and drinking Stag beer heavily every night.

Dang, it even looks like him.

the real mr magoo doesnt run
ever

even if he's about to **** himself

A lot of contractors are doing that these days. What used to be known as "employees" are now known as "subcontractors". They're still being paid the same $15-20 an hour, only now they are on the hook for the entire 12.4% in OASDI taxes instead of paying 6.2 and the employer the other 6.2. Same with the Medicare. As a sub you pay the whole 2.9 instead of the 1.45 with the employer matching. Plus the employer pays nothing into comp, unemployment, and of course no benefits. If one of these guys gets hurt at work, they are on their own. So I imagine if his company has a lot of work and this is how he pays his guys, he is making a **** ton of money. That's how it's done these days.