• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Very interesting with Aiyuk

I think we have far less questions than you think we do. DL is considered a strength. I think CB will be a strength. Ol will have growing pains but both QBs have more mobility. I think Wilson will be a big improvement over what we had, and Fields can play some spot duty. Smith will make a lot of people look a lot better than Matt did.
I agree with you on the Arthur Smith comment. He will most definitely be a major improvement over the incompetent Canada.
I still cannot get past Canada even being the OC of this team and why he was retained as long but that’s a whole other discussion.
I hope you’re right with the QB. DL and CB positions because debit not it’s going be a long season.
Very difficult schedule awaits as well. We shall see but those are my concerns with this football team and we still have the Tomlin factor to deal with. He generally has this team unprepared especially against teams you figure we should beat. We’ll see!

I think if it happens the final deal will look like:
a second
A depth WR
An Olineman
Another low pick or player

28.5 million per contract

An overpayment in all areas IMO, but not horrible
Would be absolutely stunned if Khan gave up this much. Beyond stunned actually.

I put him as a top 15/20 wr. Basically a better DJ.
If pickens plays to his talent level he is better
I dont feel he is worth 28 mil per season... but no wr really should be worth that...
I'll give you Jefferson, Hill, Chase, Lamb, St. Brown, Lamb, Adams, maybe Wilson or Evans. I'd have a hard time putting him behind another 5-10 receivers.

I think Brandon Aiyuk is a very good WR but not going to push this team over the top. Will he help George, sure he will but could also cause an issue there to with him being the no.1 and making 30 million per season.
I just think this organization thinks they’re a Brandon Aiyuk away from competing with the elite teams and I think they’re dillusional.
We have questions at QB, can either of these two be the answer? What if neither is?
OL may be starting two rookies and they will have growing pains so that could be an issue early on. If they don’t start the two rookies that means Herbig at center and Dan Moore at LT. Not good!
Then there is the DL which has lots of questions. CB as well.
Aiyuk is surrounded by top tier players on the Niners and great coaching. No comparison between these two rosters and coaching sorry to say.
Pickens isn't due for a big contract yet and if he wants it a year early, he'll hold out regardless of Aiyuk's contract. There could be an argument some of the other veterans may be unhappy a new guy comes in and gets paid, but if he helps them win and they can still get a contract, I don't think they'd care much either.

I absolutely think Brandon Aiyuk could take the team from competing for a Wild Card spot to competing for the AFC North. Sure there are questions at QB and with the OL, but do you sit back and waste yet another year of having TJ Watt on defense or go out and get another player who can help this team win now and in the future. It's been 7 years since they've won a playoff game, I am more than ready for this streak to end.

I'm still curious where you rank Aiyuk as a receiver? Top 10, top 20?

I agree with you on the Arthur Smith comment. He will most definitely be a major improvement over the incompetent Canada.
I still cannot get past Canada even being the OC of this team and why he was retained as long but that’s a whole other discussion.
I hope you’re right with the QB. DL and CB positions because debit not it’s going be a long season.
Very difficult schedule awaits as well. We shall see but those are my concerns with this football team and we still have the Tomlin factor to deal with. He generally has this team unprepared especially against teams you figure we should beat. We’ll see!
Well then a tough schedule should help. Less teams we are expected to beat.

I'll give you Jefferson, Hill, Chase, Lamb, St. Brown, Lamb, Adams, maybe Wilson or Evans. I'd have a hard time putting him behind another 5-10 receivers.

Pickens isn't due for a big contract yet and if he wants it a year early, he'll hold out regardless of Aiyuk's contract. There could be an argument some of the other veterans may be unhappy a new guy comes in and gets paid, but if he helps them win and they can still get a contract, I don't think they'd care much either.

I absolutely think Brandon Aiyuk could take the team from competing for a Wild Card spot to competing for the AFC North. Sure there are questions at QB and with the OL, but do you sit back and waste yet another year of having TJ Watt on defense or go out and get another player who can help this team win now and in the future. It's been 7 years since they've won a playoff game, I am more than ready for this streak to end.

there's an argument for top 10, not top 5, neither top 15, but top 10. Like the holly grenade

You need a day in the spa and a double shot of tequila... so much negativity, man...
Not being negative here just trying to be realistic. I just don’t want to get caught up in summer football which means absolutely nothing to me. I let this happen last summer. Remember last summer? Kenny looked like the second coming of Joe Burrow and everyone got jacked up then reality hit, the season began.
Nah, when the lights come on the big boys start coming to play, the real game planning starts, the scrubs are all gone and back to bagging groceries.
I’m looking at teams like the Bengals with Burrow back, the Ravens are always ready and tough, the Browns could and should be better, the Chiefs, Dolphins, Texans, Bills, all look pretty damn good to me.
I’m waiting until it all starts in Atlanta and that is when I start my evaluation not during summer football.

Well then a tough schedule should help. Less teams we are expected to beat.
That’s one way to look at it. Shades does seem to get up for the better teams.
I better keep that in mind when we play in Philly where we never, ever win, then at home against the Chiefs who we haven’t beaten yet with Mahomes, and the Cowboys which we may have a shot.

I completely get where you’re coming from and it does make me sick that TJ has not enjoyed any playoff success here, it really does.
I sure hope if we pull the trigger here for Aiyuk he lives up to the billing. He is surrounded by an all star cast in Niner land and really good coaching and scheme. Can he duplicate his success here like he did in SF? I sure hope so.

See I'm very skeptical that his success isnt a little magnified by the San Fran Scheme...
its so well disguised and choreographed that its hard to say you get the same effect on another team... sometime a players skillsets fit a certain system perfectly.. think Mike wallace ... after he left the Steelers his impact wasnt the same..

Now the opposite could also be true with Aiyuk.. he could be held back by the limited pass attempts in SF... its so hard to say... maybe he is a top 5 to 10 guy who is handicapped by the scheme.. maybe he is in that 15 ish to 20 range and propped up by the scheme.. it just seems that routerunning is tailor made for that system...

See I'm very skeptical that his success isnt a little magnified by the San Fran Scheme...
its so well disguised and choreographed that its hard to say you get the same effect on another team... sometime a players skillsets fit a certain system perfectly.. think Mike wallace ... after he left the Steelers his impact wasnt the same..

Now the opposite could also be true with Aiyuk.. he could be held back by the limited pass attempts in SF... its so hard to say... maybe he is a top 5 to 10 guy who is handicapped by the scheme.. maybe he is in that 15 ish to 20 range and propped up by the scheme.. it just seems that routerunning is tailor made for that system...
route running and YAC is what this team is missing, that's why he would fit well. Of course it depends on the QB hitting him in stride.

If he signs with the Steelers I'll be fine with it, even with the big salary number. I'm sure Kahn won't give up the farm and this to me is the main point, more than the salary, to not give up too much for a top 10 WR, which you probably won't get with a 2nd rounder in most drafts

Not being negative here just trying to be realistic. I just don’t want to get caught up in summer football which means absolutely nothing to me. I let this happen last summer. Remember last summer? Kenny looked like the second coming of Joe Burrow and everyone got jacked up then reality hit, the season began.
Nah, when the lights come on the big boys start coming to play, the real game planning starts, the scrubs are all gone and back to bagging groceries.
I’m looking at teams like the Bengals with Burrow back, the Ravens are always ready and tough, the Browns could and should be better, the Chiefs, Dolphins, Texans, Bills, all look pretty damn good to me.
I’m waiting until it all starts in Atlanta and that is when I start my evaluation not during summer football.
I think we're just trying to impart that adding Aiyuk just strengthens the team and their chance to win a playoff game of more...

most we should cough up is:

Dan Moore (Trent Williams' old *** aint got many years left and he's unsigned)
CA3 (with their WRs, I doubt they want him, but with us getting Aiyuk he's expendable)
a 3rd (they'd get a 3rd in comp if/when he walks)

I think we're just trying to impart that adding Aiyuk just strengthens the team and their chance to win a playoff game of more...
I get it! Some of you get excited when the possibility of adding a name player like Aiyuk occurs.
I just don’t think he pushes the team to such high expectations. Too many other areas of concern or question marks.
The OL is a work in progress with a couple rookies, DL could be an issue, CB at least the other guy not named JPJ is still a question mark, QB still remains a question mark.
These areas we just don’t know yet until the real games start.

So for Pens fans, Tgere was a situation a decade and a half ago where they traded for Marion Hossa and wanted to resign him after the season

He agreed to a 7.9 million per season deal, but didnt sign... but Edmonton, who he didnt want to play for, was offering 9.9 million... his agent tried to steer him to that to make more money... ultimately he ended up in Detroit for virtually what he was going to make with the pens...

I feel like this is happening here... either tge 9ers or his agent are foot dragging to try to get Aiyuk to change his mind

So for Pens fans, Tgere was a situation a decade and a half ago where they traded for Marion Hossa and wanted to resign him after the season

He agreed to a 7.9 million per season deal, but didnt sign... but Edmonton, who he didnt want to play for, was offering 9.9 million... his agent tried to steer him to that to make more money... ultimately he ended up in Detroit for virtually what he was going to make with the pens...

I feel like this is happening here... either tge 9ers or his agent are foot dragging to try to get Aiyuk to change his mind
Then he ended up losing in the Stanley cup finals to the Penguins that year too.

Eventually won with Chicago though