• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Very interesting with Aiyuk

Paying Aiyuk anywhere close to 30mil would be historically stupid. Putting the cart before the horse and pissing off the rest of the guys on the Steelers at the same time. You don't think GP would feel extremely disrespected? Not to mention you have to pay a RB next year, and you don't have a QB capable of winning a superbowl. They could sign a prime Jerry Rice, I still don't see a superbowl with Wilson or Fields at the Helm.

You realize that Wilson is, in fact, a super bowl winning qb... right? And that two seasons ago, Denver won a huge bidding war for his rights? The guy has HOF numbers... I'm not really sure what you are looking for in a qb if that isnt enough of a pedigree to at least think they have a chance ton be good on O...

GUZEyBNXoAAAUfE

They are talking about sending Freiermuth to the 9rs for Aiyuk... which wouldnt make sense... same with swapping him for pickens

Frankly, until proven otherwise, we really dont know if Aiyuk is just a system Wr or not anyway... the guy runs good routes and gets yac, but no team has a more efficient passing O than SF... its geared towards getting wrs open in space for YAC ... they had the fewest pass attempts in the league... just everyone is always open because of the system...

There is no guarantee he remains at all pro level outside of that system...
Yeah, I just don't think Khan would send Freiermuth or Pickens as a part of a deal to the 49ers so that is irrelevant to me.

To be fair you also have to add a 28-30 million contract. 112-120 million over 4 years with probably 80% + guaranteed. Just my estimation according to reports.
I would love to have him. I think he’s a stud. But the contract scares me. Beyond this year we have no QB,TE,RB, signed. While all playing on existing cheaper contracts. If George has any type of year at all,when he hears what Aiyuk signs for,believe me,he will want similar. Realistically if this happens we could be looking at 55-60 million a year for 2 WR’s. This is the question. Is this comfortable? Without even knowing our QB situation yet? I think this should wait. Let’s use the draft process.
Totally cool with the contract. In three years he'll be sitting outside the top 15 paid receivers and by having a young offense, we currently have a very cheap offense. Football is entertainment for me and Aiyuk will help make this offense better and help this team win more games, so a win-win. It's a situation I wanted to see with a young QB (Diggs to Buffalo, Hill to Miami, Brown to Philadelphia, etc.) and while Pickett didn't live up to his draft status, some combination of Wilson/Fields should a lot more fun to watch with Aiyuk in the mix.

I have a question. Who here really believes this team is going to beat out the Bils , the Texans, the Ravens much less Patrick Mahomes and KC, or the 49ers in a SB matchup. And if the answer is no you have to think like this. Either Pickens us your guy and you draft a real two with one potential next draft in first round OR if you don't you deal him to the 9ers one for one and draft Ayuik's two next year if Roman Wilson isn't. Trying to do crazy **** to win a wildcard game this year is just stupid.

If they do sign him we are gonna have to address QB in the first round next year. no way you pay BA 30 million and then turn around and pay a QB 30 to 50 million it just isn't realistic especially with Pickens and Harris due for contracts next year. I see this as more trouble than it's worth honestly.

Then they have to trade the player and the contract instead of letting the other team negotiate it.
And he can still be a FA next year if they sign him to a 1 year effective deal, then redo or release.....maybe he won't sign, but these guys want a SB win only

I have a question. Who here really believes this team is going to beat out the Bils , the Texans, the Ravens much less Patrick Mahomes and KC, or the 49ers in a SB matchup. And if the answer is no you have to think like this. Either Pickens us your guy and you draft a real two with one potential next draft in first round OR if you don't you deal him to the 9ers one for one and draft Ayuik's two next year if Roman Wilson isn't. Trying to do crazy **** to win a wildcard game this year is just stupid.
The Bills are in a bit of a transition year. You don't know what the Texans will be in year 2 with Stroud. We beat the Ravens all the time...? We'd never be favored to beat the Chiefs just as the Patriots were always in our way years ago. That doesn't mean they shouldn't try. I'll gladly take a Wild Card win over another 7th place finish and non-competitive playoff game or missed playoff appearance. Sitting in the middle is the absolute worst spot to be in.

Frankly I am tired of the subject. will he wont he? will they wont they? We are turning into a soap opera

Then they have to trade the player and the contract instead of letting the other team negotiate it.
and while the 9ers have the most cap space in 2024, at $49 mil, they plummet to $8 mil over in 2025 as of today. Though, the 9ers also have 53 rostered for 2025.
whereas we have $89 mil in cap space next season - with just 41 players rostered.

so we have cap room, 9ers do not and would need to get ahead of paying Purdy while also seeing their roster age. They have quite a few of their top 15 at 29 or older for this season.

The Bills are in a bit of a transition year. You don't know what the Texans will be in year 2 with Stroud. We beat the Ravens all the time...? We'd never be favored to beat the Chiefs just as the Patriots were always in our way years ago. That doesn't mean they shouldn't try. I'll gladly take a Wild Card win over another 7th place finish and non-competitive playoff game or missed playoff appearance. Sitting in the middle is the absolute worst spot to be in.
So you are thinking a couple places lower in next year's draft. Look I think Russel Wilson is more then capable of winning a Wildcard like you said maybe over a team like the Bills, Ravens or Texans. Hell it will take next to nothing to improve this offense substantially. Buy his Conference Championship / SB days are 6 or 7 years back down the road. I guess you could pack up all those guys and throw in a two. Limit your depth on oline and throw in a two. Get your wildcard win. But if you make this trade George Pickens is gone too. No one pays two ones. The qbs are cheap this year. If you keep one it won't be cheap next year. And if you don't want to keep one it's because this year was shot anyhow.

and while the 9ers have the most cap space in 2024, at $49 mil, they plummet to $8 mil over in 2025 as of today. Though, the 9ers also have 53 rostered for 2025.
whereas we have $89 mil in cap space next season - with just 41 players rostered.

so we have cap room, 9ers do not and would need to get ahead of paying Purdy while also seeing their roster age. They have quite a few of their top 15 at 29 or older for this season.
Purdy is their issue. They have cheap two more years. Then it won't be.

To get a caliber guy like Aiyuk there's so many moving parts to consider. Lets say for argument sake the Steelers traded for Aiyuk and gave up Dan Moore or James Daniels plus a first round pick in 2025. If that trade prevents the Steelers from signing Pickens or Muth would anyone call that a win? Or what happens if Fields starts and blow up and we can't resign him because of the cap... is that a win? To me the only way signing Aiyuk is a win for that price is if it leads to a super bowl win. Is he the missing piece to a super bowl caliber team? No.

So at this point I would rather run with GP, Jefferson, CA3 and Wilson at WR and if we need to upgrade the WR position use that first round pick on a WR next year while we build a super bowl caliber team. Luther Burden is Missouri has the skillset of Aiyuk and Emeka Egbuka has the experience to step in an contribute right away. And their rookie contracts allows us to re-up George and probably a QB like Fields next year.
No way it's a 1st plus a starter. A 2nd plus the starter, I can see it

So you are thinking a couple places lower in next year's draft. Look I think Russel Wilson is more then capable of winning a Wildcard like you said maybe over a team like the Bills, Ravens or Texans. Hell it will take next to nothing to improve this offense substantially. Buy his Conference Championship / SB days are 6 or 7 years back down the road. I guess you could pack up all those guys and throw in a two. Limit your depth on oline and throw in a two. Get your wildcard win. But if you make this trade George Pickens is gone too. No one pays two ones. The qbs are cheap this year. If you keep one it won't be cheap next year. And if you don't want to keep one it's because this year was shot anyhow.
I'm not thinking anything in terms of next year's draft in terms of where the Steelers will be selecting. Hopefully it'll be in the mid-high 20s or 30s because that means they had a pretty good season. I'm also not worried about the trade compensation because I don't believe Khan will offer anything he believes is out of line. For example, zero chance Freiermuth or Pickens is traded because that would completely defeat the purpose of acquiring Aiyuk in the first place (I know you didn't suggest this, but others have).

There are teams that pay more than one receiver. Miami paid Hill and Waddle. Chicago paid Moore and Allen. Tampa Bay paid Evans and Godwin. Philadelphia paid Brown and Smith. It happens, it just all depends on where teams want to invest their cap spending. I believe the Steelers want Justin Fields to be their QB of the future, so setting him up with talented receivers and a young, talented offensive line would be a great start. I'm also confident (maybe too confident) they work out an extension with Freiermuth prior to the start of the season.

To get a caliber guy like Aiyuk there's so many moving parts to consider. Lets say for argument sake the Steelers traded for Aiyuk and gave up Dan Moore or James Daniels plus a first round pick in 2025. If that trade prevents the Steelers from signing Pickens or Muth would anyone call that a win? Or what happens if Fields starts and blow up and we can't resign him because of the cap... is that a win? To me the only way signing Aiyuk is a win for that price is if it leads to a super bowl win. Is he the missing piece to a super bowl caliber team? No.

So at this point I would rather run with GP, Jefferson, CA3 and Wilson at WR and if we need to upgrade the WR position use that first round pick on a WR next year while we build a super bowl caliber team. Luther Burden is Missouri has the skillset of Aiyuk and Emeka Egbuka has the experience to step in an contribute right away. And their rookie contracts allows us to re-up George and probably a QB like Fields next year.
There are always movementes to get under the cap and sign the likes of Pickens, muth and even an improving Fields

They are talking about sending Freiermuth to the 9rs for Aiyuk... which wouldnt make sense... same with swapping him for pickens

Frankly, until proven otherwise, we really dont know if Aiyuk is just a system Wr or not anyway... the guy runs good routes and gets yac, but no team has a more efficient passing O than SF... its geared towards getting wrs open in space for YAC ... they had the fewest pass attempts in the league... just everyone is always open because of the system...

There is no guarantee he remains at all pro level outside of that system...
Wish we could get their Offense system.....seems our WRs always have 2 defenders right on top of them.🥴