• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Very interesting with Aiyuk

Seems clear to me that they want a receiver that is ready to go so I bet it ends up being Cleveland and they get Cooper. But maybe not as it doesn't seem like Cleveland gains much at all unless it's a straight up trade, which I can't see 9ers doing. Wake me up when it's over.

I'm thinking with Smith Running the ball and loving the TE position we end up keeping an extra TE over a WR. I wouldn't give Aiyuk 30 million. not for a receiver in this offense.

I'd hate for the team to make this trade when it will do more harm than good imo. Regardless of what they give up to have the benefit of paying him the highest salary on the team. No team w a 25M player outside of the QB position has won anything to my recollection. Aiyuk is a great player, for sure, I saw him play in HS and he was awesome then. That still doesn't convince me to turn the rest of your players into divas who need to be paid based on how they perform statistically, rather than if they can win. Aiyuk will get us 2 wins, imo. That isn't worth the disrupting the other 20 or so starters who won't be making near 30M/yr.
If SF can't handle his salary and keep their players happy w new contracts, he will be playing on the tag or even released if he wants out that bad. Make a run for him then?

I'd hate for the team to make this trade when it will do more harm than good imo. Regardless of what they give up to have the benefit of paying him the highest salary on the team. No team w a 25M player outside of the QB position has won anything to my recollection. Aiyuk is a great player, for sure, I saw him play in HS and he was awesome then. That still doesn't convince me to turn the rest of your players into divas who need to be paid based on how they perform statistically, rather than if they can win. Aiyuk will get us 2 wins, imo. That isn't worth the disrupting the other 20 or so starters who won't be making near 30M/yr.
If SF can't handle his salary and keep their players happy w new contracts, he will be playing on the tag or even released if he wants out that bad. Make a run for him then?
why would he get released for nothing?

No, Pickens doesn't come close to those numbers in that offense. His route running is still weak. That is one of the strengths of Aiyuk's game, something the Steelers are sorely lacking with Johnson gone.
Pickens has worked in route running this offseason (per reports) BUT his route running will never be a strength of his game simply because it doesn’t have to or need to be. He’s always open…his strengths are catch radius, concentration and body control in the air, high pointing, etc.

His game isn’t predicated on route running or having blazing acceleration into/out of breaks so those will likely always be weaknesses for him…

But it doesn’t matter once the QB realizes he’s always open unless he’s doubled and if he’s doubled just throw it to the open guy

Pickens has worked in route running this offseason (per reports) BUT his route running will never be a strength of his game simply because it doesn’t have to or need to be. He’s always open…his strengths are catch radius, concentration and body control in the air, high pointing, etc.

His game isn’t predicated on route running or having blazing acceleration into/out of breaks so those will likely always be weaknesses for him…

But it doesn’t matter once the QB realizes he’s always open unless he’s doubled and if he’s doubled just throw it to the open guy

That isn't open. Making every throw a 50-50 ball isn't good even if he does make it something like 70-30. The guy has to get open, too.

why would he get released for nothing?
They have a slew of players needing contracts coming up. If he's disgruntled enough, he can force his way out. This is his "step one" to forcing his way out. Sure, they (the 9ers) have moves too, but to what end? If you have a player that doesn't want to play for you anymore, HE doesn't give a hoot what the team gets back for trade, he is gonna make his money either way.

It is more of a hold-in, similar to what T.J. Watt once did. Aiyuk is attending meetings, but not practicing.

I wouldn't say his behavior has been exemplary, but in no way does it compare to Antonio Brown's meltdown.
TJ wasn’t posting on twitter and asking coaches if they’re related. AB at Aiyuks age and stage in their careers was a thousand times less insane. Now there’s a long way to go before Aiyuk is jerking off in a public pool but at this age Brown was no where near this demanding.

Adding Aiyuk would certainly make the team better, but is it cost effective? Most importantly our QB situation is certainly not the best. If Russ plays well I imagine they would offer him a contract, but at what price? Fields would certainly be cheaper, but who knows about production. Pickens will more than likely get a large contract unless he ABs himself. With the price of the D I cant see us having 2 expensive WRs and a soild QB w/o really cutting somewhere else. I would just stick w/ what we got and see what the new O looks like before throwing a high draft pick and 30 million at a WR.

most we should cough up is:

Dan Moore (Trent Williams' old *** aint got many years left and he's unsigned)
CA3 (with their WRs, I doubt they want him, but with us getting Aiyuk he's expendable)
a 3rd (they'd get a 3rd in comp if/when he walks)
This would be a good deal. Of course we then would have to pay him $$$$#.

TJ wasn’t posting on twitter and asking coaches if they’re related. AB at Aiyuks age and stage in their careers was a thousand times less insane. Now there’s a long way to go before Aiyuk is jerking off in a public pool but at this age Brown was no where near this demanding.
We don't really know what was going on with Brown at that age. I think the team just did a hell of a job keeping his nonsense quiet.

He actually does look like Tomlin. That was funny.

The Athletic is reporting that the 49ers want a receiver back in the deal. I certainly hope Khan is too smart to put Pickens in the trade, but I can't imagine what other receiver the 49ers would want from the Steelers.
What kahn could do is flip something to a third team for a wr SF would want.. there are a handful of guys rumored to be available... maybe some excess steelers parts dont move the needle for tge 9ers but pry someone the 9ers want off of another team

I've been adamant the Steelers won't trade for Aiyuk, but maybe they do. If they do, I think it's foolish. They will need to pay a QB at some point. It makes no sense to pay a WR 30 million a year to me, but I'm no front office expert (put the money towards QB, OL and the defense). That's a move you pull off if you think you are a #1 WR away from winning a super bowl. They are not a WR away from winning a super bowl. If they do want to make a trade for an impact WR, they should wait until after the season starts then do something before the trade deadline if the team is winning and looks like a WR will put them over the top.

Last edited: