• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Very interesting with Aiyuk

CBS report on this suggest that 9ers want 2 firsts and a WR body. That cannot be the same ballpark Omar is in.

I think the 9ers are looking to try to run the clock out... I still think they never really expected to trade him... they gave him the ok to look for a trade but were hoping he saw that playing for them this year was the best option...

I also think 85% what we hear about demands and offers is outright lies on this... I hear lots of people saying Cleveland was never gonna offer Cooper in a deal... and for every report that the pats were offering 32 mil per year there is one less publicized that it was under 30 mil per..

This is being played out in the media to try to sway public opinion and build leverage for the player and teams... its mostly bullshit

I am perplexed with the dislike of Austin. Is he Dick LeBeau? No. But in 2 years as DC, they have been 9-8 and 10-7 with a playoff appearance while having a terrible offense. He has also had TJ Watt out a number of games and then when he did play not himself his first year, Minkah and Heyward hurt a lot in his second year, and they were pulling safeties off of the street. They had terrible ILB play his first year, and when it got better his second year, they all got hurt. Its a cheap shot to rip him. I think he's done a solid job.
Come on. The guy has been mediocre everywhere he has been with the exception of the 2014 Lions. Don't forget this guy is the first DC in NFL history to give up three straight 500 yard games. He was fired after the third one. You like him and see him as a victim of circumstance and that's fine. I think this defense, with the talent it has, can do more with a better strategy than the one Teryl Austin brings. I don't see that as ripping on him or a cheap shot (LOL). I see it as an objective opinion.

That mantra of bend but don’t break, keep it close, is old wore out. It works with average teams, but come playoff time…..

those teams blow us Away. You have to keep that foot on the gas and take a risk to get bigger outcome.

Keeping the ball in front of you and never going for the interception, whereas the opposing team is willing to take that risk and

gets a score, game changer. DC Tomlin’s scheme is old news and behind the times. Maybe this year it kicks up a notch or two.ng that my takeaway from this

Last time this “D” was in the upper class, it took 10- first rounders to achieve that.

Salute the nation
is it wrong that my takeaway is we need 12, maybe even 13, first rounders for the D?
Obviously we are just playing a numbers game where Mike had his hands tied with a lack of asset allocations

Come on. The guy has been mediocre everywhere he has been with the exception of the 2014 Lions. Don't forget this guy is the first DC in NFL history to give up three straight 500 yard games. He was fired after the third one. You like him and see him as a victim of circumstance and that's fine. I think this defense, with the talent it has, can do more with a better strategy than the one Teryl Austin brings. I don't see that as ripping on him or a cheap shot (LOL). I see it as an objective opinion.

Great post Sarge and thanks for the great ones along the way.

Part of why Austin is still here is because he is a “yes” man and puts up with the Tomlin interjecting in the defense.

The scheme is decided and all Austin has to do is the day to day preparations, that don’t seem to change much.

Dick L. Didn’t tolerate the Tomlin “system” and retired (only to surface elsewhere). In essence, the scheme drove away one of the greatest defensive minds, in the NFL.

Salute the nation

Way, way, way too much! No firsts at all.

A second, straight across and NO players.

BA’s value has been media driven up. He is good, but not so good as 2-1st plus player and long term “sky” contract.

Salute the nation

Yeah but they have a gazillion dollars invested and a lot of people don't like the passive bend don't break no splash play mentality.
Like let's get real here. Cam, Queen, TJ, Minkah are all making individually what all the offensive skill guys make collectively. If this defense isn't damn good somethings really wrong.
I don't disagree with that. I think with the hand he has been dealt here up to this point he has done a solid job. However, if those guys are relatively healthy most of the year they better be damn good.

I am not arguing his previous mediocracy. I said he has been solid with the hand he has been dealt. That has nothing to do with liking him or not liking him. If they would move on from him that's fine. I just think this team over the last 2 years since he has been DC has a hell of a lot of bigger issues that Teryl Austin as DC. That's why I think it's somewhat cheap.

As it pertains to strategy, some are ripping him for the bend but don't break. Ok. With the offense they had been trotting out there the last 2 years, what would you do? They aren't gonna come back from bigger deficits, and that is a risk when you take big risks on defense. Look, I love that style of defense, but you have to have a competent offense to run it.

Great post Sarge and thanks for the great ones along the way.

Part of why Austin is still here is because he is a “yes” man and puts up with the Tomlin interjecting in the defense.

The scheme is decided and all Austin has to do is the day to day preparations, that don’t seem to change much.

Dick L. Didn’t tolerate the Tomlin “system” and retired (only to surface elsewhere). In essence, the scheme drove away one of the greatest defensive minds, in the NFL.

Salute the nation
LeBeau left in after 2014. Pretty much all the great players he had when they were so good from 2004-2014 where gone. When you don't have Troy, James Harrison, James Farrior, Aaron Smith, Casey Hampton and the like running around out there you better adjust. You can't run the same defense. Those players made LeBeau's scheme work. I don't think Dick LeBeau's defense would have been what we were accustomed to had he stayed, regardless of whatever influence Tomlin does or doesn't have.

I am perplexed with the dislike of Austin. Is he Dick LeBeau? No. But in 2 years as DC, they have been 9-8 and 10-7 with a playoff appearance while having a terrible offense. He has also had TJ Watt out a number of games and then when he did play not himself his first year, Minkah and Heyward hurt a lot in his second year, and they were pulling safeties off of the street. They had terrible ILB play his first year, and when it got better his second year, they all got hurt. Its a cheap shot to rip him. I think he's done a solid job.
See Bengals, Cincinnati and Lions, Detroit when he was DC with those respective teams.
THEN look at the players on those Ds during his stints and compare them to those on the Steelers in his current stint.

CBS report on this suggest that 9ers want 2 firsts and a WR body. That cannot be the same ballpark Omar is in.

That's batshit crazy and says we don't really want to trade him,but if we can find someone really stupid(looking at you Browns) we'll do it.

The guy isn't the second coming of Jerry Rice or Randy Moss. You'd swear he was though, BTW great job by his agent or whomever for creating this type of environment for his client.

Which, if we're being honest, he's just mimicking what Tomlin wants: play it safe, pee your pants all day. It's all Shades does.

If it's for more than a 2nd I say **** it, let's roll with CA3, Van and Roman W

I am not arguing his previous mediocracy. I said he has been solid with the hand he has been dealt. That has nothing to do with liking him or not liking him. If they would move on from him that's fine. I just think this team over the last 2 years since he has been DC has a hell of a lot of bigger issues that Teryl Austin as DC. That's why I think it's somewhat cheap.

As it pertains to strategy, some are ripping him for the bend but don't break. Ok. With the offense they had been trotting out there the last 2 years, what would you do? They aren't gonna come back from bigger deficits, and that is a risk when you take big risks on defense. Look, I love that style of defense, but you have to have a competent offense to run it.
Honestly if it wasn't for TJ Watt there is no way Austin has a job, or Tomlin for that matter. They don't win a single game without TJ

Honestly if it wasn't for TJ Watt there is no way Austin has a job, or Tomlin for that matter. They don't win a single game without TJ
Did LT have this type of impact on W-Ls?

I would rather they all be in the mindset of defending every blade of grass vs let's just let them march all the way down field, then try to keep them out of the endzone.

They allow way too much holding to put all of your eggs in the T.J Watt basket. That's foolish and you're completely screwed if he gets injured.

Reactions: GMC
I would rather they all be in the mindset of defending every blade of grass vs let's just let them march all the way down field, then try to keep them out of the endzone.

They allow way too much holding to put all of your eggs in the T.J Watt basket. That's foolish and you're completely screwed if he gets injured.
Seems to fit the whole splash play mentality with Tomlin. They retooled the defense over the '10s with high draft choices and the MF trade and typically when TJ misses time the D is a sieve in the run game and loses its teeth.

Go back to BB in the day who always seemed to beat us with patchwork secondaries and Troy Browns getting snaps.

The Tomlin system is like a high maintenance, overpriced luxury car that lacks basic, sound engineering.

See Bengals, Cincinnati and Lions, Detroit when he was DC with those respective teams.
THEN look at the players on those Ds during his stints and compare them to those on the Steelers in his current stint.
I am not arguing his past. I don't give a shiit about his past. I feel he has been solid here. I didn't say great. Solid. As I stated earlier, he lost TJ in 2022 for. number of games. When he came back that year, he wasn't TJ. Minkah was hurt some that year. The ILB play was bad. They were trotting out Bush and a past his prime Myles Jack. I liked Spillane, but would you take him over any of the present ILB the Steelers have? In 2023, TJ was great. The ILB play was better, but then they all got hurt. Minkah was hurt all year. Cam was out a bunch, and then not himself. They were pulling safties off the street. You can look at the players all you want, but if they ain't on the field, what does it matter? With all that, and a lousy offense, they had two winning seasons and a playoff berth. Austin, to me, is not in the top 5 of their problems the last 2 years.

Seems to fit the whole splash play mentality with Tomlin. They retooled the defense over the '10s with high draft choices and the MF trade and typically when TJ misses time the D is a sieve in the run game and loses its teeth.

Go back to BB in the day who always seemed to beat us with patchwork secondaries and Troy Browns getting snaps.

The Tomlin system is like a high maintenance, overpriced luxury car that lacks basic, sound engineering.
Just like the offense with the Killer B's. Relied on the pure talent of the stars. What made the Steelers of the 2000s so good and Super Bowl winners was the perfect blend of star players and role players who worked together, played for each other, and played with an attitude.

Polamalu, Harrison, Woodley, Porter, Taylor, etc. were all able to star because the DL did the dirty work, guys like Farrior and Clark played smart football and unheralded players like Foote acted as the glue to hold everyone together because, while limited, offered no glaring weaknesses. That combined with LeBeau's coaching and scheme made it a tough unit to contend with.

The offense was the same way with Ben, Ward, Bettis, etc. with a talented OL and just solid football players like Heath Miller with a sound philosophy of playing physical football. It feels like this year's team is slowly building toward a group that has three levels of talent and a clear philosophy on offense, though the defense will still rely a bit too much on the pass rush for success.

Wait a minute. Reading here all the time, it's all coaching. Players are just lumps of clay and coaches are completely responsible for the outcome of games.

I know I'm being an @ss, but dammit, you just said they don't win anything without TJ. And I agree with that. And that is the impact good players have. Good players make coaches look good. ALL of them. There ain't a coach out there who was considered good when he had lousy players.

Zimboo, batt, patoowaa. So is his way "of winning" a playoff game. Clueless and lost.

Wait a minute. Reading here all the time, it's all coaching. Players are just lumps of clay and coaches are completely responsible for the outcome of games.

I know I'm being an @ss, but dammit, you just said they don't win anything without TJ. And I agree with that. And that is the impact good players have. Good players make coaches look good. ALL of them. There ain't a coach out there who was considered good when he had lousy players.
"Lousy" players? Perhaps not. But all pros at every position? No necessarily. Shades showers his D with the most expensive players on the planet and what do we get? 21st defense, that's it. What do we really get for all the 1st rounders we put on the field? Below average run defense. A pro bowl cherry picker S forced to play rush D. Our D is vastly overrated.