• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Very interesting with Aiyuk

Wait a minute. Reading here all the time, it's all coaching. Players are just lumps of clay and coaches are completely responsible for the outcome of games.

I know I'm being an @ss, but dammit, you just said they don't win anything without TJ. And I agree with that. And that is the impact good players have. Good players make coaches look good. ALL of them. There ain't a coach out there who was considered good when he had lousy players.
Good coaches can make average players look good with their system and scheme. Putting players in position to succeed.

Just like the offense with the Killer B's. Relied on the pure talent of the stars. What made the Steelers of the 2000s so good and Super Bowl winners was the perfect blend of star players and role players who worked together, played for each other, and played with an attitude.

Polamalu, Harrison, Woodley, Porter, Taylor, etc. were all able to star because the DL did the dirty work, guys like Farrior and Clark played smart football and unheralded players like Foote acted as the glue to hold everyone together because, while limited, offered no glaring weaknesses. That combined with LeBeau's coaching and scheme made it a tough unit to contend with.

The offense was the same way with Ben, Ward, Bettis, etc. with a talented OL and just solid football players like Heath Miller with a sound philosophy of playing physical football. It feels like this year's team is slowly building toward a group that has three levels of talent and a clear philosophy on offense, though the defense will still rely a bit too much on the pass rush for success.
Well said.

Good coaches can make average players look good with their system and scheme. Putting players in position to succeed.
Ok. Fair enough. So when the Steelers went 3-0 to end the season last year to make the playoffs and were running out the likes of Mykal Walker, Eric Rowe, Elijah Riley and so forth, was there any good coaching there?

Ok. Fair enough. So when the Steelers went 3-0 to end the season last year to make the playoffs and were running out the likes of Mykal Walker, Eric Rowe, Elijah Riley and so forth, was there any good coaching there?
it was definitly better QB play

Also, nobody was willing to pay a first for him at the draft... there is no way they can be asking 2 firsts now... the ask is probably a second and a player, and tge Steelers wont give up any of the three guys SF wants

Sure.

I am not arguing his past. I don't give a shiit about his past. I feel he has been solid here. I didn't say great. Solid. As I stated earlier, he lost TJ in 2022 for. number of games. When he came back that year, he wasn't TJ. Minkah was hurt some that year. The ILB play was bad. They were trotting out Bush and a past his prime Myles Jack. I liked Spillane, but would you take him over any of the present ILB the Steelers have? In 2023, TJ was great. The ILB play was better, but then they all got hurt. Minkah was hurt all year. Cam was out a bunch, and then not himself. They were pulling safties off the street. You can look at the players all you want, but if they ain't on the field, what does it matter? With all that, and a lousy offense, they had two winning seasons and a playoff berth. Austin, to me, is not in the top 5 of their problems the last 2 years.
Soooooooo, when injuries occur, next man up, yeah?
Are the players making the scheme or does the scheme make the player(s)?
When you look at smart, knowledgeable, wise coordinators they make adjustments and get it to work.
Terrible Austin has ZERO track record, with us or anyone else, of showing capable of this basic necessity.

You guys.......give it a break......lol. I am watching China take on the Netherlands in the gold game for field hockey. Yes they are talented. But holly....the Netherlands team are filled with hotties!

This
Look at the guys on the Patriots dynasty teams, Outside of Brady, Moss and Gronk, they made average players look great. Never had top tier talent at RB or WR, besides Moss and they were 1 game shy of perfection.

"Lousy" players? Perhaps not. But all pros at every position? No necessarily. Shades showers his D with the most expensive players on the planet and what do we get? 21st defense, that's it. What do we really get for all the 1st rounders we put on the field? Below average run defense. A pro bowl cherry picker S forced to play rush D. Our D is vastly overrated.
Shades is like the boxer who can't clinch when hit in the mouth and finding himself on kweer street. Think Gerry Cooney who could only punch with one hand. He's got some shine when Plan A is working. When a Plan B is called for, he says stuff like "it's not about anything they're doing, it's about us." I still remember him truly looking like a deer in the headlights at home in the 4th quarter as Bortles and Fournette carved up his defense. Then you get 66-0 in the first quarter of last 5 playoff games. At least Cooney could start fast until somebody like Foreman, Spinks, or Tebow popped him.

They went 3-0 because kenny got injured and Rudolph stepped in and lit it up. Not because of coaching. It was bad coaching that played Kenny over Mason all season up to that point.

You guys.......give it a break......lol. I am watching China take on the Netherlands in the gold game for field hockey. Yes they are talented. But holly....the Netherlands team are filled with hotties!
Did you see any of the water polo? lol at least when they're out of the pool.

Apparently, they wanted either GP or Muuuth in the trade. Come on, man! Hecks no!
I’d want the better receiver on the better deal too, glad Khan ain’t that dumb to trade away the better player on the better contract

Soooooooo, when injuries occur, next man up, yeah?
Are the players making the scheme or does the scheme make the player(s)?
When you look at smart, knowledgeable, wise coordinators they make adjustments and get it to work.
Terrible Austin has ZERO track record, with us or anyone else, of showing capable of this basic necessity.
Yeah next man up was with the Steelers on defense in 2023, and they made the playoffs with a pretty bad offense. Yes, the offense played better the last 3 weeks, but the defense kept them in a position that with that 3 game run they made the playoffs. With a lot of injuries.

I have always argued that it is the players far more than the coaches. However, and I even started a thread on this, after hearing a while ago how bad Canada's offense was statistically, and how predictable it was, and all the other terribleness, I conceded maybe coaching has more to do with it. Hell, my eyes told me it was bad, but once you hear stats to back it up, it really hits home.

Now, that being said, the two years Austin has been the DC the Steelers have played solid defense. I never said great. Solid. But when I say that, all the sudden they played solid defense because of the players. Austin sucks. Well, which one the hell is it?

They went 3-0 because kenny got injured and Rudolph stepped in and lit it up. Not because of coaching. It was bad coaching that played Kenny over Mason all season up to that point.
But how can that be? I guess it's coaches when they lose, but the players when they win? It was bad coaching when they didn't play Rudolph, and still bad coaching when they did?

Look, I agree, they should have played Rudolph. But that shiit is 20/20. Nobody was clamoring for him last year around this time, including me.

I read the 49ers are trying to pull a third team into the mix. The article stated they are interested in DeVante Adams from the raiders and the raiders are looking to move past his contract and gain draft capital. It could be something like the Steelers give the Raiders a 2nd and the 49ers a 3rd and the Steelers get Aiyuk and the raiders get Adams. I am just throwing draft picks around but we know the Steelers aren't interested in giving up a first so something like that would make sense.

That's batshit crazy and says we don't really want to trade him,but if we can find someone really stupid(looking at you Browns) we'll do it.

The guy isn't the second coming of Jerry Rice or Randy Moss. You'd swear he was though, BTW great job by his agent or whomever for creating this type of environment for his client.
Or it says that cooch now writes for CBS

I read the 49ers are trying to pull a third team into the mix. The article stated they are interested in DeVante Adams from the raiders and the raiders are looking to move past his contract and gain draft capital. It could be something like the Steelers give the Raiders a 2nd and the 49ers a 3rd and the Steelers get Aiyuk and the raiders get Adams. I am just throwing draft picks around but we know the Steelers aren't interested in giving up a first so something like that would make sense.
If they could swing a 2025 2nd and 2026 3rd it would be better using your example.

"I can’t remember a more annoying situation in recent NFL history than this Aiyuk one. I’m over it. Thank goodness we have a game today but I have an inkling that it will still work its way into the broadcast." -former Steeler Trai Essex
This is where I am at with it, too.