• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Very interesting with Aiyuk

Now they're saying Aiyuk is working on a contract with SF. That's probably just to make the trade easier.

Aiyuk's contract should be pretty dialed in with these 3 recent contracts

Justin Jefferson 4yr 140M 35 average Guaranteed 110M
St.Brown 4yr 120M 30 average Guaranteed 77M
DJ Moore 4yr 110M 27.5 avg Guaranteed 81.5M

JJ is highest paid and no way Aiyuk gets that. I figure he's somewhere between St Brown and Moore. SB higher numbers but Moore has more guarantee.

But how can that be? I guess it's coaches when they lose, but the players when they win? It was bad coaching when they didn't play Rudolph, and still bad coaching when they did?

Look, I agree, they should have played Rudolph. But that shiit is 20/20. Nobody was clamoring for him last year around this time, including me.
Rudolph played because of injury gave Tomlin no choice. That is being forced against you're will and stepping in ****.
Definitely not good coaching

Rudolph played because of injury gave Tomlin no choice. That is being forced against you're will and stepping in ****.
Definitely not good coaching
Meh. Our game planning changed for those last 3 games. They let Rudy us every inch of field to throw. Downfield. Middle of the field. Short outs
Deep outs. That is coaching. Unfortunately when we went into the playoffs against the Bills we went back to our old offense. Which is again coaching.

New info this morning the overs have dropped there ask to a 2nd and 3rd rounder. If so we need to take it. We may get a comp pick next year to make up for at least 1 of those.
I would do a 2 and a 3 no question. I would make the 3 a 2026 pick.

Yeah next man up was with the Steelers on defense in 2023, and they made the playoffs with a pretty bad offense. Yes, the offense played better the last 3 weeks, but the defense kept them in a position that with that 3 game run they made the playoffs. With a lot of injuries.

I have always argued that it is the players far more than the coaches. However, and I even started a thread on this, after hearing a while ago how bad Canada's offense was statistically, and how predictable it was, and all the other terribleness, I conceded maybe coaching has more to do with it. Hell, my eyes told me it was bad, but once you hear stats to back it up, it really hits home.

Now, that being said, the two years Austin has been the DC the Steelers have played solid defense. I never said great. Solid. But when I say that, all the sudden they played solid defense because of the players. Austin sucks. Well, which one the hell is it?
Fair points.
And maybe, as some have insinuated, Tomlin has his hands in the scheme/coaching too much to allow his DC and OC to properly do their jobs.
And maybe I'm tainted from living between Detroit and Cincinnati, and having a few friends of both teams, and getting to see a lot of the games of both of those teams.
I just haven't seen anything from him, in Detroit, Cincy, or here, to change my skewed view.

Meh. Our game planning changed for those last 3 games. They let Rudy us every inch of field to throw. Downfield. Middle of the field. Short outs
Deep outs. That is coaching. Unfortunately when we went into the playoffs against the Bills we went back to our old offense. Which is again coaching.
Kenny dink and dunk Pickett was 89 yards on 22 attempts. Is the eagles offensive coordinator the problem now?

Anyone watch Calvin Austin III last night and think if we don’t get Aiyuk we might be just fine? Guy was getting open by a mile. This could be a breakout year for him

Anyone watch Calvin Austin III last night and think if we don’t get Aiyuk we might be just fine? Guy was getting open by a mile. This could be a breakout year for him
I don't know enough about the Texans DB depth, but was he playing NFL DBs or grocery baggers? It was a tough catch, but he dropped the TD pass as well. I'll just say I didn't get the vibe that he looked like anything other than a role player.

Kenny dink and dunk Pickett was 89 yards on 22 attempts. Is the eagles offensive coordinator the problem now?
Weird. I talked with a couple Eagles fans and both said they are sick and tired of their offense. One stated they did like 30 bubble screens last year for negative yards. I don't know how true those numbers are though. He was excited that they hired a new OC for this up coming season....maybe not so much now. Maybe it is Kenny but when Ben was here they forced him to throw short also. Wouldn't let Ben audible either. Same with Rudy. Steelers did open it up last year for 3 or 4 games at the end after Canada was fired. Then went right back to the usual during our loss to Buffalo in the playoffs.

I have dogged Austin in the past. Mostly for his frame, but I was pleasantly surprised with his play last night.

I don't know enough about the Texans DB depth, but was he playing NFL DBs or grocery baggers? It was a tough catch, but he dropped the TD pass as well. I'll just say I didn't get the vibe that he looked like anything other than a role player.
The level of competition wasn’t great but he wasn’t just open by a step he was open by a mile. And that td was not his fault at all. Allen threw it out of bounds when no one was within 10 yards of CA3. I could have thrown that touchdown.

Last edited:
I’ll have to watch the highlights! About to watch the gold medal game in women’s beach volleyball. Brazil vs Canada. Simply delicious.

Something about those Canadian girls............................................. all good.

Salute the nation

I have dogged Austin in the past. Mostly for his frame, but I was pleasantly surprised with his play last night.
I haven’t been a big fan either but I’m cautiously optimistic after seeing how he played last game. Guess time will tell if he’s able to make it happen when it counts.

Will his 170-LB body be able to withstand the NFL?

Same question for Tank Dell who is almost exactly the same size. Would you want him or is he too small?
Only about 1-10 guys that small make it. Dell is the 1 in 10, is Austin another? Archer and Rainey weren't.

Will his 170-LB body be able to withstand the NFL?
In this era of football I think so. Why not? You look at a QB wrong and it's a penalty. You have to let WRs catch the ball uncontested at times so that you don't draw a penalty. It is what it is. It's why the Steelers drafted him from the get go. They never expected him to pack on 15 to 20lbs.

Only about 1-10 guys that small make it. Dell is the 1 in 10, is Austin another? Archer and Rainey weren't.
Dell who got knocked out lat season has made it. but Austin is not. got it

Weird. I talked with a couple Eagles fans and both said they are sick and tired of their offense. One stated they did like 30 bubble screens last year for negative yards. I don't know how true those numbers are though. He was excited that they hired a new OC for this up coming season....maybe not so much now. Maybe it is Kenny but when Ben was here they forced him to throw short also. Wouldn't let Ben audible either. Same with Rudy. Steelers did open it up last year for 3 or 4 games at the end after Canada was fired. Then went right back to the usual during our loss to Buffalo in the playoffs.
The Eagles offense really struggled part of the season last year. They started 8-1 and then went 3-5 w/ some pretty poor offensive games in there. I dont watch many of their games, but from what I remember seemed to be a lot of locker room discontent and unhappy players. As for the Steelers I think the coaches just need to let them play. I think the QBs play scared of turnovers 95% of the time. When they are forced to open it up things look better. Even going back to Picketts 4th quarters when we were behind he played well in those situations. When Rudolph started we were in do or die situations and he did well. come playoff time the offense stunk then we got behind and started doing better again. Just let the guys play.....