• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Very interesting with Aiyuk

Or if Johnson was the roster decision Tomlin claims you could have just kept him (he seems to be playing out his contract) and found a number 2 corner in FA and drafted WR in '25.

I agree to some degree but coaching matters. Cowher won a 1 superbowl out of 2 seasons with Ben. The other season Ben didn't lose a regular season game.
Tomlin won 1 superbowl in 16 seasons with Ben.
Tomlins defense always looks terrible when it counts the most. They are historically awful the last 5 or 6 playoff appearances. Good coaching/scouting would have fixed that.
It is known Khaleesi

He didn't get the Super Bowl until the Cap was in place. Revenue sharing was more than enough to make up for stadium differences. Since Cowher retired before Bens got his big contracts we will never know for sure. Noll was pretty much done when he had to deal with free agency.
It's hard to say how Cowher (or Noll) would function in today's NFL. Why I always appreciated Cowher is because the Steelers almost always won at least 1 playoff game when they made it. 10 playoff appearances in 15 years. 8 years with a playoff win out of 10 appearances and 6 AFC Championship game appearances. They felt like they were always in it.

A big difference between the coaches is Cowher's philosophy was very clear and almost always followed. I also felt like he did a great job getting a lot out of the mid-round draft choices. Joel Steed, Darren Perry, Kevin Henry, Willie Williams, Jason Gildon, Bam Morris, Myron Bell, Lee Flowers, Earl Holmes, Orpheus Roye, Carlos Emmons, Hines Ward, Deshea Townsend, Fu, Aaron Smith, Clark Haggans, Chris Hope, Larry Foote, Ike Taylor, Max Starks, Chris Kemoeatu, Willie Colon were all drafted in the third round or later and were anything from quality contributors to all-time greats with the team.

Tomlin's impact players have mainly been top heavy in the draft and star driven. That works to a point until there isn't enough talent from the late rounds to fill the games between the stars. Talent wise, it feels like they may be changing the direction in the last two drafts, Washington and Herbig flashed as rookies and Trice and Anderson have a chance as they enter their second years. Wilson, Wilson, and McCormick will be brought along slowly but could all push for significant playing time next year.

From CBS Sports:
The Cleveland Browns weren't able to trade for Brandon Aiyuk, but they definitely did their best to try and get a deal done with the 49ers. At some point last week, the Browns made a MASSIVE offer for Aiyuk that included sending Amari Cooper to San Francisco.
Here's what the Browns' proposed deal looked like (via NBC Sports Bay Area):
  • 49ers get: Amari Cooper, second-round pick, third-round pick
  • Browns get: Brandon Aiyuk
The only reason the trade didn't happen is because Aiyuk vetoed it due to the fact that Cleveland wasn't one of his "preferred destinations," according to NBC Bay Area. For any deal to happen, Aiyuk is going to have to sign a new contract with his new team, which essentially gives him the power to nix any trade. If Aiyuk isn't willing to sign a new deal, then it wouldn't make sense for a team to trade for him, and he apparently wasn't willing to sign with the Browns.
Amari Cooper caught wind of the proposed deal and he actually had a very interesting reaction.
"LOL. I wouldn't mind at all," Cooper wrote on social media, which seemed to imply that he would have been fine with a trade that sent him to San Francisco.
As for Aiyuk, not only did he nix a deal to Cleveland, but he also vetoed a potential trade to the Patriots. As things stand now, there is now a "new optimism" that Aiyuk will get a long-term deal done in San Francisco. At this point, it seems like all the drama with the 49ers star will end in one of two ways: He'll either stay in San Francisco or get traded to the Steelers.

I read that Aiyuk has said he will only play for the 9ers or the Steelers. If true, that should help with what we would have to send to the 9ers in draft capital or players. But, the Steelers would have to be willing to pay him in the 30 million neighborhood.

Pretty sure the cap was here all of cowhers run

The salary cap was introduced in 1994, I learn something every day thanks to this site

Salute the nation

What I‘m missing is that if Aiyuk is that good why are we and the Stains the only ones going after him?
Are there really 30 teams that are happy and good to go with their receiving groups ?

From CBS Sports:
The Cleveland Browns weren't able to trade for Brandon Aiyuk, but they definitely did their best to try and get a deal done with the 49ers. At some point last week, the Browns made a MASSIVE offer for Aiyuk that included sending Amari Cooper to San Francisco.
Here's what the Browns' proposed deal looked like (via NBC Sports Bay Area):
  • 49ers get: Amari Cooper, second-round pick, third-round pick
  • Browns get: Brandon Aiyuk
The only reason the trade didn't happen is because Aiyuk vetoed it due to the fact that Cleveland wasn't one of his "preferred destinations," according to NBC Bay Area. For any deal to happen, Aiyuk is going to have to sign a new contract with his new team, which essentially gives him the power to nix any trade. If Aiyuk isn't willing to sign a new deal, then it wouldn't make sense for a team to trade for him, and he apparently wasn't willing to sign with the Browns.
Amari Cooper caught wind of the proposed deal and he actually had a very interesting reaction.
"LOL. I wouldn't mind at all," Cooper wrote on social media, which seemed to imply that he would have been fine with a trade that sent him to San Francisco.
As for Aiyuk, not only did he nix a deal to Cleveland, but he also vetoed a potential trade to the Patriots. As things stand now, there is now a "new optimism" that Aiyuk will get a long-term deal done in San Francisco. At this point, it seems like all the drama with the 49ers star will end in one of two ways: He'll either stay in San Francisco or get traded to the Steelers.

No player with self respect would want to go to Clowntown.
Deshaun Watson didn’t either, until they offered a salary he couldn’t refuse.

Now he’s paying a big price in return, because just like that he sucks.

Last edited:
From CBS Sports:
This here is AWESOME. The Clowns somehow managed to segregate Cooper and make him apathetic to the team and still didn't get Aiyuk.

What I‘m missing is that if Aiyuk is that good why are we and the Stains the only ones going after him?
Are there really 30 teams that are happy and good to go with their receiving groups ?
30m for a 1,300 yard receiver is stiff plus having to give up a 2nd and a 3rd to boot. If the 49ers don't reup him and he doesn't get traded he could be a free agent next year and at that point teams could see if he one decent year was a fluke or not. Trading for him is a riskier endeavor than most think. Khan seems to think he is the next AB so if we get him I sure hope he is right.

30m for a 1,300 yard receiver is stiff plus having to give up a 2nd and a 3rd to boot. If the 49ers don't reup him and he doesn't get traded he could be a free agent next year and at that point teams could see if he one decent year was a fluke or not. Trading for him is a riskier endeavor than most think. Khan seems to think he is the next AB so if we get him I sure hope he is right.
If Khan truly thought that he was the next AB I predict the deal would've already been done. That math doesn't check out. I bet more a more likely scenario is that someone (not naming any names) politely asked for some upgraded receiver talent and Khan stepped in as GM and is trying to orchestrate a good/fair deal for the Steelers...you know doing his job and using due diligence.

If Khan truly thought that he was the next AB I predict the deal would've already been done. That math doesn't check out. I bet more a more likely scenario is that someone (not naming any names) politely asked for some upgraded receiver talent and Khan stepped in as GM and is trying to orchestrate a good/fair deal for the Steelers...you know doing his job and using due diligence.

You're goping to lose your "following" if you keep using logic and common sense in your explanations.

1- Burbon
1- Scotch
1- Beer

Salute the nation

I still think he becomes a Steeler. Kahn is playing it safe. Aiyuk wants to be a Steeler which is the biggest factor. Browns and Patriots both offered him 32 million. He said he wouldn’t sign long term with either team. Washington also was in play. The longer it goes it favors us. I believe it gets done by Friday. I’m very critical of Tomlin over the last few years. But this is 100% the reason he wants to play here. We are paying a 35 year old DL a fortune, so don’t tell me about value for a position.

I wonder what Stryker thinks of all the Aiyuk saga, him being an expert in WR scouting I'd like to know his thoughts on Aiyuk's talent and value

I wonder what Stryker thinks of all the Aiyuk saga, him being an expert in WR scouting I'd like to know his thoughts on Aiyuk's talent and value

The last time there was a Stryker sighting, was by me. Actually the last two times he was sighted.

One time I found him in a drain grate on Carson St., right there in Pittsburgh. He was in bad shape and delirious but living out his dream.

The last time was in the deep of the Amazon, He somehow got hooked up and hooked on poison frog shots and Bryant. Again he was living out his dream.

Over the years, I've spotted him still trying to get a Loudermilk interview, desperately needing a ride to the liquor store, and lastly begging for change under the surmise of his kid, Coolie, needing diapers.............................

Salute the nation