• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Very interesting with Aiyuk

I agree. I like those high picks in the draft. Receivers are impossible to keep happy so dont give away high picks to get one that will probably go Diva sooner than later. Keep bullding the trenches. I just wish we didn't spend a month on this but dont hold the Steelers resopnsible for him being a dirtbag.
A ton of wasted time and energy. Oh well, what else were they going to do?

I was going by an article posted on the NFL FB page. I certainly didn't go track down any stats. So, he's on the back half of a top 10 WR last year.
1000% not worth 28 million
Borderline top 10 WR in 1 out of 4 seasons, on a superbowl team with elite talent all around him and a stud O-line.
His other 3 seasons would put him as a #2 WR, statistically behind the likes of Dionte who we just gave away.
He definitely is not in the top tier elite category. Not remotely.
His average consensus ranking is WR #14 in fantasy football. By all the fantasy experts. Not my opinion

Makes zero sense to overpay for Aiyuk for a multitude of reasons, Besides him as a player, with the current QB situation, An OC who wants to run the ball and has never showcased a good passing attack or QB, and the fact that GP will need to get paid big if he has a big year.

Borderline top 10 WR in 1 out of 4 seasons, on a superbowl team with elite talent all around him and a stud O-line.
His other 3 seasons would put him as a #2 WR, statistically behind the likes of Dionte who we just gave away.
His average consensus ranking is WR #14 in fantasy football. By all the fantasy experts. Not my opinion

Makes zero sense to overpay for Aiyuk for a multitude of reasons, Besides him as a player, with the current QB situation, An OC who wants to run the ball and has never showcased a good passing attack or QB, and the fact that GP will need to get paid big if he has a big year.
If GP has a big year, they should just move on a draft TWO WRs fairly high and be done with it.

If GP has a big year, they should just move on a draft TWO WRs fairly high and be done with it.
Mark this right here for posterity. Coach is explaining something on which he has absolutely no idea how.

Aiyuk is a talented receiver, I don't think anyone would question that, I just don't think the cap issues and draft capital that would be lost in bringing him here is worth it.
For one, maybe two more wins, that's a big investment.

I still think his value is bloated to a degree of what the media has done.

I’m not sure what everyones’ expectations are, but can he live up to what degree of expectations…………….

I’m not against him coming here, but like a lot here…….. worry of the cost both monetary and draft capital.

Salute the nation.

Aiyuk isn't in the same tier as Jefferson, Lamb, Chase, etc., but these arguments don't make sense.

First, just absolutely brutal brutal resorting to fantasy analysis. You keep calling him a borderline top-10 receiver (he's clearly a receiver on the rise) like that is a BAD thing, that's actually excellent, and say $28 million per year (which would be 6th highest in the league, soon to be 8th after Chase and Lamb get contracts). The 8th highest contract for a borderline top-10 guy sounds very reasonable.

This analysis highlights his explosiveness and efficiency https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...9ers-trade-wr-steelers-pay-contract-extension and he runs a full route tree very well.

I keep going back to being cool trading for him because I'm tired of watching incompetent offense that can't produce points. I want to see more touchdowns, more explosive plays, and upgrading the talent at wide receiver--whether it's Aiyuk or someone else--will help that.

Aiyuk isn't in the same tier as Jefferson, Lamb, Chase, etc., but these arguments don't make sense.

First, just absolutely brutal brutal resorting to fantasy analysis. You keep calling him a borderline top-10 receiver (he's clearly a receiver on the rise) like that is a BAD thing, that's actually excellent, and say $28 million per year (which would be 6th highest in the league, soon to be 8th after Chase and Lamb get contracts). The 8th highest contract for a borderline top-10 guy sounds very reasonable.

This analysis highlights his explosiveness and efficiency https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...9ers-trade-wr-steelers-pay-contract-extension and he runs a full route tree very well.

I keep going back to being cool trading for him because I'm tired of watching incompetent offense that can't produce points. I want to see more touchdowns, more explosive plays, and upgrading the talent at wide receiver--whether it's Aiyuk or someone else--will help that.
He's had 1 season with WR#1 production.

Fantasy value is around the same as actual value with a small margin for error. They Best most productive players are the most valuable, that doesn't change much from the League to fantasy football? If anything there is small margin for error guys with great QB's like Aiyuk even get a bump in value if anything. Just like Pickens value would shoot up if he was in SF instead of Pittsburgh.
I assume you don't play fantasy football, but its a very simple concept. Production equals points, points equal value, and the highest performers at a given position are ranked and drafted the highest, just like the real NFL draft with more data because we know how each player actually performs in the NFL. Instead of speculating based on college production.

Fantasy value is around the same as actual value with a small margin for error. They Best most productive players are the most valuable, that doesn't change much from the League to fantasy football? If anything there is small margin for error guys with great QB's like Aiyuk even get a bump in value if anything. Just like Pickens value would shoot up if he was in SF instead of Pittsburgh.
Just cannot take anything seriously the instant fantasy football is brought up to evaluate a player. Imagine Khan and Weidl checking out Fantasy Pros to see which WR they want to trade for, SMH.

Just cannot take anything seriously the instant fantasy football is brought up to evaluate a player. Imagine Khan and Weidl checking out Fantasy Pros to see which WR they want to trade for, SMH.
Wait...what? GMs don't use fantasy football as a barometer when evaluating players? You are kidding. Right?

So the top performing players aren't the top fantasy players and vice versa? If you believe otherwise please explain

Wait...what? GMs don't use fantasy football as a barometer when evaluating players? You are kidding. Right?
Where did I say they do? That has no bearing on the fact the most productive players are the top fantasy players. The top fantasy players are the most productive players. That is also a fact. A GM that agrees or disagrees doesn't change those facts. If you believe otherwise please explain?

Aiyuk is a talented receiver, I don't think anyone would question that, I just don't think the cap issues and draft capital that would be lost in bringing him here is worth it.
For one, maybe two more wins, that's a big investment.
I don’t think there will be necessarily cap issues. At least an amount they can’t handle. The Steelers maintain the cap as well as anyone. If they didn’t trust the numbers they wouldn’t even pursue him.

Not sure strategically that the Steelers "helping" another team's WR rachet up his contract demands, when he has no leverage, is a good precedent to set with Pickens in a similar spot one year from now.....

Where did I say they do? That has no bearing on the fact the most productive players are the top fantasy players. The top fantasy players are the most productive players. That is also a fact. A GM that agrees or disagrees doesn't change those facts. If you believe otherwise please explain?
Never said you did.

I assume you don't play fantasy football, but its a very simple concept. Production equals points, points equal value, and the highest performers at a given position are ranked and drafted the highest, just like the real NFL draft with more data because we know how each player actually performs in the NFL. Instead of speculating based on college production.
Your stuuupid...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Fantasy football - COMEDY ******* gold!!! I thought @stillwright won today, but, no sir, you did it!!!

Now hearing that the 9ers are kicking the tires on Robert Woods. Could we indeed see a three team trade with Aiyuk coming to Pit?

So the top performing players aren't the top fantasy players and vice versa? If you believe otherwise please explain
Based on your criteria using fantasy to evaluate players, Patrick Mahomes is the third best QB and studs like Anthony Richardson and Kyler Murray ranked 5th and 7th, respectively, ahead of Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert. You'd also have Puka Nakua as the 8th best WR in the league. You can keep your fantasy stats to evaluate players.

You can bet that they ARE in fact using analytics. They may not run out and buy a fantasy FB magazine to get that information, but they are damn sure using them. They would be foolish not to. The old days of scouting only are over, YOU are behind the curve.

Based on your criteria using fantasy to evaluate players, Patrick Mahomes is the third best QB and studs like Anthony Richardson and Kyler Murray ranked 5th and 7th, respectively, ahead of Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert. You'd also have Puka Nakua as the 8th best WR in the league. You can keep your fantasy stats to evaluate players.
I don’t believe that he ever said, or meant to imply that fantasy stats are the ONLY way to evaluate talent. Fantasy analytics are just one of MANY ways that players are being evaluated every year. The league has kept stats for decades, and not just so they can employ people to compile them. Teams that ONLY rely on their “feelings” are dinosaurs and headed to extinction.

You don’t like Fantasy FB, I get that, I’m not really a fan either. I can see though how talent evaluation has changed in the last decade or so. You can bet that they are also using biometrics now too. There will also be something new come along that will change things even more. Just because YOU refuse to accept change, for whatever reason, doesn’t mean it won’t change.

I don’t like Free Agency, and feel it has really destroyed the game. Same with the salary cap, and switching away from the BLOCK NUMBERS, for fuxcs sake.

Let me just add that fantasy football killed this game

Meh id say casual FF may have... regular FF has been around for decades... it was hardcore, just Tds for a long time and all done by pen and paper... drafts were in person, often st a bar... now its online instant gratification with points for everything to keep the casuals happy..