• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Very interesting with Aiyuk

My guess is the reason SF is putting this in the public eye is hoping there's outcry from the fanbase to put pressure on Khan to make the trade. First of all there's no way Khan would bow to public pressure. Second, from the looks of this thread and fellow Steelers fans I've talked to, there's no public pressure 😁

They have the greatest need and most cap space, which implies the price is too high.

Probably because he doesn’t want to go there. He has them by the balls a bit.
Yep, this is exactly it. He made it clear that his destinations would either be Washington or Pittsburgh and he seems to be very firm on those teams right now.

Be fair, he has been below average his entire career, don't act like he hasn't been. 3 years ago he had an "OK" year with 50 rec and 800 yrds, 6 TDs. That was his best year, by far. Last year he did very little. Asking for more from our #2 is not asking for a HOF at every position.
I am being fair... he followed up that 50 catch season with one he landed on IR and wasnt healthy at all , then last season he was passed up by a fifth round phenom Puka Nakua... and once Kupp returned from IR, was dealt to Atlanta...

The falcons offense didnt use 2 wrs as targets... as per Smiths typical O...

Just like our O, theirs only threw 508 times (we tgrew 506)
Their top wr was targeted 110 times
There top Te 90
The Rb 86
And the backup RB 70 times
Nobody else got more than 30 targets
Robinson was right behind Holins with 28 targets... there just arent many wr targets for the non primary guy in that O

For reference, Our craptastic O targeted Pickens 106 times, DJ 87, and allen Robinson 49 times ...

Yep, this is exactly it. He made it clear that his destinations would either be Washington or Pittsburgh and he seems to be very firm on those teams right now.
Sure but he is still in camp, going to meetings and not getting fined... once the season starts, he cannot hold out. He has tonplay... if he doesn't while under contract, he loses a year of ufa eligibility and the 9rs control his rights another year... as that deadline gets closer... he will have to make a choice to either accept a trade the 9rs endorse or play under his rookie contract one more season and risk getting hurt or having a bad year...

The Brown trade is not a fair comparison. His meltdown at the end of that previous season made it very difficult for the Steelers to get fair value for him. Aiyuk hasn't done anything close to that. Also, Brown was 30 when the Steelers traded him. Aiyuk is 25.

Trading PIckens in a deal for Aiyuk makes no sense. One of the primary motivators for the Steelers is only having one good receiver.

I can't see them moving Freiermuth, either. I'm not sure that makes sense for either team.

A first-rounder is a lot to ask for a player when you also have to give the guy a huge contract. Maybe Khan is being patient and waiting for them to take something more reasonable.
Aiyuk’s attitude has been far from exemplary. He’s posted multiple times on twitter stating his frustration. I think there’s two things going on here. 1. Colbert’s inability to trade. 2. Lynch thinking he’s going to get a first plus more for a disgruntled player in a contract year who’s already holding out.

Trading George or Muth makes no sense. Smith’s offense is predicated on a pass catching TE. And trading away George who has more upside is asinine.

Nothing about this scenario makes it even remotely plausible.

I am being fair... he followed up that 50 catch season with one he landed on IR and wasnt healthy at all , then last season he was passed up by a fifth round phenom Puka Nakua... and once Kupp returned from IR, was dealt to Atlanta...

There top Te 90
The Rb 86
Robinson was right behind Holins with 28 targets... there just arent many wr targets for the non primary guy in that O

For reference, Our craptastic O targeted Pickens 106 times, DJ 87, and allen Robinson 49 times ...
The Falcons under Smith had basically the same conditions the Steelers had with a transition from a long-time franchise QB to poor QB play. I just don't think the concept that Smith doesn't use more than one WR is true. In my opinion, it's been the product of terrible QB play and awful depth at WR with better talent at RB and TE. The reality is, receivers led the way in 3 of 5 years of Smith leading the offense.

As OC in Tennessee, Titans WRs Brown and Davis led the team in receptions and targets in both 2019 and 2020. In 2019, four of the top 5 leaders in receptions were a receiver.

In 2021, Matt Ryan was near the end and the Falcons had a pathetic group of receivers. Ridley only played 5 games, but was on pace for 105 receptions (177 targets). Russell Gage was just behind top-5 pick Kyle Pitts with 66 receptions (Pitts had 68). The other leading receivers were Zaccheaus and Sharpe--two nobodies. If Ridley plays all season, Ridley and Gage are two of the top three receivers on the team.

A terrible QB situation in 2022 with Mariota and Ridder. Despite this, four of the top 5 receivers and targets were receivers (London, Zaccheaus, Byrd, and Hodge) with Pitts ranking third with only 10 games played. Again, that is with a pathetic group of receivers.

Ridder was one of the few QBs worse than Pickett in 2023, which is one of the reasons the target share shifted, IMO. London still led the way in both receptions and targets with studs such as Hollins and Hodge not getting many looks. Simply put, Pitts, Smith, and Robinson were all more talented targets than any of the other receivers.

As it stands now, Pickens, Freiermuth, and the combination of both Harris and Warren are probably the four best receiving options and I believe the target share would reflect that. A top receiver and there will be a total shift in targets and Aiyuk and Pickens would easily lead the way with Freiermuth in the top 3 as well.

Sure but he is still in camp, going to meetings and not getting fined... once the season starts, he cannot hold out. He has tonplay... if he doesn't while under contract, he loses a year of ufa eligibility and the 9rs control his rights another year... as that deadline gets closer... he will have to make a choice to either accept a trade the 9rs endorse or play under his rookie contract one more season and risk getting hurt or having a bad year...
I am on record saying I wouldn't trade him if I was the 49ers because he improves their chance at a Super Bowl. If he had no leverage right now, he'd already be a Patriot and they reportedly dropped out of the race.

Aiyuk’s attitude has been far from exemplary. He’s posted multiple times on twitter stating his frustration. I think there’s two things going on here. 1. Colbert’s inability to trade. 2. Lynch thinking he’s going to get a first plus more for a disgruntled player in a contract year who’s already holding out.

Trading George or Muth makes no sense. Smith’s offense is predicated on a pass catching TE. And trading away George who has more upside is asinine.

Nothing about this scenario makes it even remotely plausible.
I think you mean Khan, and not Colbert.

There top Te 90
The Rb 86

I'm just saying Van Jefferson ain't the cat's meow is all, it's not a case of fans expecting a future HOF at every position. He may turn out good enough, but he ain't a pro bowler.

The 9rs probably can't pay him next year so he is gone after this season, seems to me a second and four players is a hell of a lot better than a late third comp pick. Aiyuk is gonna get paid he may have to wait another year but if he stays and has a great season there are teams that will break the bank for him. I guess they could hit him with the franchise tag but I don't see even the clowns giving up two first. I also don't see how the 9rs could even afford to pay the franchise tag price.

Picking a stud rookie in the first round, yep.. trading a first for a Jerry rice or Randy moss type player heck yeah. Aiyuk does not fall into either of those category's.

We are basically paying nothing for a QB this year. Paying 30 million for a WR is going to put us in a bind cap wise along with losing a high draft pick and a decent player. Aiyuk is not worth 30 million and the draft pick+ players. I would take my chances with what we have. It will give us more options in the long run

They have the greatest need and most cap space, which implies the price is too high.
Or they got the vibe he didn’t want to go to them. They have more question marks than the other two teams in the running.

We are basically paying nothing for a QB this year. Paying 30 million for a WR is going to put us in a bind cap wise along with losing a high draft pick and a decent player. Aiyuk is not worth 30 million and the draft pick+ players. I would take my chances with what we have. It will give us more options in the long run
While my sleep was not so great I'll add this on the topic...

Aiyuk WANTS TO PLAY in Pittsburgh. That's leverage for him. I also believe that his talent does make us SB contenders, if signed and we don't give up a key player.

Let's pause there.

Muth. Love the kid's heart and work ethic. I believe he's had 3 or 4 concussions since being drafted (maybe it's 2 but follow the logic) --- he has trade value NOW. I'll go on the record to say that Darnell Washington can fill the void if Muth is traded. Write it down.

So, as I ride the train south to Miami, I'm hoping than Omar and the FO, as well as the coaching staff, see the impact this trade can make.

Last call, Omar - make it so. Please...

While my sleep was not so great I'll add this on the topic...

Aiyuk WANTS TO PLAY in Pittsburgh. That's leverage for him. I also believe that his talent does make us SB contenders, if signed and we don't give up a key player.

Let's pause there.

Muth. Love the kid's heart and work ethic. I believe he's had 3 or 4 concussions since being drafted (maybe it's 2 but follow the logic) --- he has trade value NOW. I'll go on the record to say that Darnell Washington can fill the void if Muth is traded. Write it down.

So, as I ride the train south to Miami, I'm hoping than Omar and the FO, as well as the coaching staff, see the impact this trade can make.

Last call, Omar - make it so. Please...

If Arthur smiths O hasnt significantly changed, you dont trade a TE for a WR...
if Aiyuk comes in, pickens targets drop below TE1... that isnt a great plan if TE1 is a slow giant whose knees arent really built for taking the pounding of a TE1 useage...

No team is going to trade for him if he is refusing to sign a long term deal with the new team. That is why he has the power for now, and can be selective on the teams he prefers to play for. The 9ers risk not getting anything for him if he walks after this year, maybe a 3rd round comp at best. It is shaping up good for us if we really want him. I would trade a 2nd and 1-2 non starters for him.

if Aiyuk comes in, pickens targets drop below TE1... that isnt a great plan if TE1 is a slow giant whose knees arent really built for taking the pounding of a TE1 useage...
He (Washington) played above average in Georgia. Our OC didn't know how to use him properly...

Aiyuk/Pickens/Freiermuth >>>>>>>>> Pickens/Jefferson/Freiermuth

The best options are going to get the targets and the offense would be much more dangerous with an other receiver.

Aiyuk/Pickens/Freiermuth >>>>>>>>> Pickens/Jefferson/Freiermuth

The best options are going to get the targets and the offense would be much more dangerous with an other receiver.
They are talking about sending Freiermuth to the 9rs for Aiyuk... which wouldnt make sense... same with swapping him for pickens

Frankly, until proven otherwise, we really dont know if Aiyuk is just a system Wr or not anyway... the guy runs good routes and gets yac, but no team has a more efficient passing O than SF... its geared towards getting wrs open in space for YAC ... they had the fewest pass attempts in the league... just everyone is always open because of the system...

There is no guarantee he remains at all pro level outside of that system...

He (Washington) played above average in Georgia. Our OC didn't know how to use him properly...
Oh i watched his combine... i dont doubt he can do more in the passing game... i just have heard his knees are bad ....and most big guys who move like him have knee or ankle issues earlier, so that makes sense...
I dont think he would hold up as a TE 1 with extra routes.... not over a whole year... he is best suited as a premiere TE2 imo...

They are talking about sending Freiermuth to the 9rs for Aiyuk... which wouldnt make sense... same with swapping him for pickens

Frankly, until proven otherwise, we really dont know if Aiyuk is just a system Wr or not anyway... the guy runs good routes and gets yac, but no team has a more efficient passing O than SF... its geared towards getting wrs open in space for YAC ... they had the fewest pass attempts in the league... just everyone is always open because of the system...

There is no guarantee he remains at all pro level outside of that system...
Can he block as needed in Smith's new O?