• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Watching CJ Stroud Game Tapes this morning

steelhurt

In Andy I trust....
Reaction score
Wow! This kid just stands in the pocket, cool, confident, and scans the field and just makes the plays
I have to admit that I was skeptical when they drafted him thinking here we go with another Ohio State QB bust. Boy was I wrong.
CJ was so fortunate to be drafted into a system run by Bobby Slowik who has done a masterful job with young CJ.
Man CJ looks light years ahead of Kenny but to be fair, after watching Steeler games every week I would tape the Texan games to watch CJ.
I was amazed at the difference in playcalling between the two teams.
It was like watching a jr college offense vs a pro offense each week.
Not trying to compare the two QBs but I have to wonder if we would have had Bobbly Slowik and not Canada, how much better would our offense and Kenny would have looked.
I would think Slowik would have been all over Kenny for bailing the pocket and running into sacks and instructing him to stay in the pocket and scan the field.
I’ll tell you this much. Slowik would have known this year whether Kenny was the answer or not. There would be zero doubt now.

I saw a criticism about Pickett that he excelled in college because he was able to buy time by leaving the pocket and that that wouldn’t translate well to the NFL. Watching Rudolph put up 100+ passer ratings while standing in the pocket causes concern about Pickett’s potential.

(sticking chest out in a cooch sort of way)

I was pimping him for a long time, had some good discussions with 448.

I like accurate QBs that scramble to pass.

😁

Wow! This kid just stands in the pocket, cool, confident, and scans the field and just makes the plays
I have to admit that I was skeptical when they drafted him thinking here we go with another Ohio State QB bust. Boy was I wrong.
CJ was so fortunate to be drafted into a system run by Bobby Slowik who has done a masterful job with young CJ.
Man CJ looks light years ahead of Kenny but to be fair, after watching Steeler games every week I would tape the Texan games to watch CJ.
Not trying to compare the two QBs but I have to wonder if we would have had Bobbly Slowik and not Canada, how much better would our offense and Kenny would have looked.
I would think Slowik would have been all over Kenny for bailing the pocket and running into sacks and instructing him to stay in the pocket and scan the field.
I’ll tell you this much. Slowik would have known this year whether Kenny was the answer or not. There would be zero doubt now.
Amazing what a decent O line can do for you. Stroud is really good granted, but that O-line is top 10 top 15

Reactions: MTC
There is zero doubt, atleast among the Steelers WR

😁

I honestly think Stroud is going to be the real deal.. having said that, having a spectacular rookie season isnt a guarantee of being good for your career...

Id definitely bet on him being a star than purdy...

Heck he could retire tomorrow and he will still have had tge best career from an OSU qb since Tomczak..

He does make a ton of bad throws, as does virtually all young qbs do, but its hard to focus on that because the system and how good his good throws are..

Its funny comparing him with Young... both have very simular passing metrics but really diffferent results ... this is why getting the right OC, PGC and Oline coach is so key for this nfl..

That houston oline scheme was super simple and effective... they werent asking regular joes to make all pro blocks regularly, so it was plug n play despite their injuries

Amazing what a decent O line can do for you. Stroud is really good granted, but that O-line is top 10 top 15
You do realize Sack that Kendrick Green was a part of that OL. They’ve had some injuries on the OL but their backups played well.
Steeler OL wasn’t horrible! Kenny ran into a lot of those sacks.
Granted, we do need to upgrade at center and move Mason Cole out of there and draft a RT and move Broderick to LT but they weren’t horrible. Picket created a lot of those sacks. That was my point in the original post. He doesn’t stay in the pocket. Mason did stay in the pocket and slide and step up and looked pretty damn good.
The protection was there for the most part but you cannot keep bailing the pocket let Kenny did.

😁
Btw, whatever happened to Coooch?

Btw, whatever happened to Coooch?
Who? He has been replaced by a bunch of young whippersnappers who think they own the place already. Some days I actually miss him by comparison. Damn kids get off my lawn!!!!

Rudolph had same line. Mason has always stood in pocket. His weakness was when to bail on it. Not so much now.
Rudolph had the same line against terrible defensive fronts and a team playing backups along w/ no Canada. Mason also had a running game to rely on where Pickett did not. Again this is due to the quality of the D they were playing against. Pickett had about the same stats as Mason against Cinci, and Pickett / Pickens were doing decent against AZ before Pickett got hurt. The D also got ran over by James in the AZ game. Mason looked the same as Pickett against a real front and the "pickett gameplan" against buffalo. He also threw a very costly pick. Buffalo jumped ahead 21-0 so they did not even have to be all that aggressive on D.

That OL in Houston gave up 47 sacks this season. Steelers OL gave up 36 for comparison. Maybe the quality of the QB really does make a difference.
Look at Houston's passing game compared to ours. They throw the ball downfield. Our passing game under Canada was get rid of the ball as quick as possible to the sidelines. I think Ben's last year was the quickest he got the ball out, but the O was not productive. Even our big pass plays most have been slants that the WRs did 99% of the work.

Rudolph had the same line against terrible defensive fronts and a team playing backups along w/ no Canada. Mason also had a running game to rely on where Pickett did not. Again this is due to the quality of the D they were playing against. Pickett had about the same stats as Mason against Cinci, and Pickett / Pickens were doing decent against AZ before Pickett got hurt. The D also got ran over by James in the AZ game. Mason looked the same as Pickett against a real front and the "pickett gameplan" against buffalo. He also threw a very costly pick. Buffalo jumped ahead 21-0 so they did not even have to be all that aggressive on D.
yes im sure thats all it was.

Look at Houston's passing game compared to ours. They throw the ball downfield. Our passing game under Canada was get rid of the ball as quick as possible to the sidelines. I think Ben's last year was the quickest he got the ball out, but the O was not productive. Even our big pass plays most have been slants that the WRs did 99% of the work.
Most teams throw outside the numbers, the Steelers are not unique in that regard. Canada did it a lot more than most. The point of my post was that the post I was responding to stated that the Texans OL was top 10-15. I showed that what most people consider to be a ****** OL gave up 11 less sacks. So what would lead a person to believe one is top 15 and one is ******? Could it be the play of the QB? It would be my guess.

Now, you want to run thread to thread making excuses for ****** QB play (I assume you’re defending Pickett), be my guest. Fact is, the Steelers need more from the QB position. A lot more, whether it’s Pickett, Rudolph or whoever. The Steelers had a litany of self inflicted wounds on offense this year and sticking with Canada’s scheme as long as they did was the biggest by far. But in spite of that, there was a bevy of plays to be made that an apparently terrified QB didn’t see and didn’t make that contributed as well. Rudolph was nothing spectacular either, but he stood in and made the plays that were there. And the difference showed.

Now we can blame this or that, but let’s not pretend that every defense Pickett faced was top 10. He turned in some clunkers against some pretty pedestrian defenses. Regardless of who starts at QB next year, they have to be A LOT better if the Steelers are to do anything other than be mediocre.

I saw a criticism about Pickett that he excelled in college because he was able to buy time by leaving the pocket and that that wouldn’t translate well to the NFL. Watching Rudolph put up 100+ passer ratings while standing in the pocket causes concern about Pickett’s potential.
Also look at his TD to interception ratio...terrible in college and more or less the same thing he's doing here. His one good year was his last one in college when they won the ACC championship.

You do realize Sack that Kendrick Green was a part of that OL. They’ve had some injuries on the OL but their backups played well.
Granted, we do need to upgrade at center and move Mason Cole out of there and draft a RT and move Broderick to LT but they weren’t horrible. Picket created a lot of those sacks. That was my point in the original post. He doesn’t stay in the pocket. Mason did stay in the pocket and slide and step up and looked pretty damn good.
The protection was there for the most part but you cannot keep bailing the pocket let Kenny did.
Yes he would bail early and not want to climb the pocket at all. I wonder how much of the O-line stinking it up early for him came into play as far him wanting to get out of there so quick, even when he had a good pocket in later games. I still don't have much faith that he is "the guy." though. I don't think you strike gold that quickly after having a guy like Ben.

Reactions: MTC
Yes he would bail early and not want to climb the pocket at all. I wonder how much of the O-line stinking it up early for him came into play as far him wanting to get out of there so quick, even when he had a good pocket in later games. I still don't have much faith that he is "the guy." though. I don't think you strike gold that quickly after having a guy like Ben.
I don’t think Kenny is the guy either. He’s a hometown kid so he seems to get some slack regard to his performance. His pocket awareness hasn’t been too great either

The problem with evaluating Stroud was that his best game was his last against Georgia. He was a different guy in that game. In all other games, he showed arm talent and mobility but he seemed to play it safe. He rarely ran, even when he should have, and he was hesitant to make tight window throws. OSU had so many great WRs that he usually had a guy wide open somewhere. We see Fields struggling in the NFL and he was similar.

Then there was that Georgia game, and he picked up first downs with his legs, he extended plays, he aggressively pushed the ball downfield into tight windows. You had to decide if you were going to get the Georgia guy or the other guy.

The only thing in Kenny's favor is that Canada was so bad. The scheme did improve later in the year but Kenny barely played.

Another concern is how the team rallied around Rudolph. They played hard for him and seemed to respect him much more than Kenny. Does Kenny have the respect of the locker room? If the answer is no, then Tomlin should know that. If the answer is no, then they should trade him.

Trade KP? ok, I'll go along w it. Who will trade for KP? He might be he next 'almost' Ben Roethlisberger, I doubt it,but let's just say maybe he is the next Kirk Cousins, which is more like I feel at this moment...what do you do? More importantly, what does HCMT do?

I've had quite a bit of whiskey tonight (Adalalusia Stryker), and Weller (green, the cheap one). w my friend, a Maga Ukrainian neighbor, who is an expert in authoritarian government BUT also shares my like of good whiskey. We watched the UFC fights tonight. He understands my desire to rid myself of incompetence.

Until we have an NFL offense, and an NFL OL, we are screwed. If you have two QBs, the reality is that you have none. We are dependent upon the OL and OC hire. KP may have the goods but he needs to fix his nerves (yips), imo. Otherwise, we are doomed to repeat the last 4 years of "catch-up" ball we've been playing. We need a really good OL coach to make anything good happen, imo.

The only thing in Kenny's favor is that Canada was so bad. The scheme did improve later in the year but Kenny barely played.

Another concern is how the team rallied around Rudolph. They played hard for him and seemed to respect him much more than Kenny. Does Kenny have the respect of the locker room? If the answer is no, then Tomlin should know that. If the answer is no, then they should trade him.
I’m not ready to give up on KP until we get a new (and better) OC.

Kendrick Green played 2 games before getting injured and put on IR. His last game was against the Steelers.

Reactions: xjx
I’m not ready to give up on KP until we get a new (and better) OC.
As I said previously been one of his biggest supporters. But I think you have to bring in fresh competition for the job. That can be the draft and or free agency.

I wouldn't say I have given up on him as I said all along he needed the next season to reevaluate. Still I am not rolling the dice that he is the answer. I am stock piling the position. Whoever wins is fine by me.

I just now want to see him take that next step. Sometimes I call it, " the light coming on". I think Love's light came on for GB. Not comparing KP to anyone just that as I said all along some people's light comes on later than desired. Some it never does. I am not ruling out either but still preparing for the worst case scenario. The most important offseason for KP. We all shall see how it transpires.

However it transpires we need improved QB play at the position. Let the best option on the roster win.