• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

We know he's a player's coach, but.....

Gildong Sack

Reaction score
What is his work ethic like? I hate to post another Tomlin thread, but I'm just wondering if anyone has ever heard from any sports talking head that Tomlin works atypical long hours. We all know the rep of guys like Bill Parcells, Bellichick, Payton, as far as burning the candle at both ends. I have never heard anything about Tomlin. You would think if it was the case the "reporters" at Steelers Pravda like Labriola, Pompiani, Missi Matthews and the others would have mentioned it. We know they will almost never say anything critical, but if it was something positive that bunch would harp about it repeatedly...yet I have watched a lot of their content through the years and have never heard anything mentioning this. Same for ESPN and the others, they would have mentioned this somewhere sometime if it were the case I would think.

Could this be part of the reason for the product we see on the field? In other words years when the team needs this type of commitment it's not there because even though some people " don't seek comfort" that feeling of comfort and complacency in their job has long been established.

Man people just dig for things to ***** about that have never been mentioned once as a problem.
Not bitching just posing a question that might explain the trend toward some of the players apparently not giving a ****, others fighting, and the under performance from coaches. Tomlin is supposed to be a smart guy by all accounts...so something doesn't jive.

Not bitching just posing a question that might explain the trend toward some of the players apparently not giving a ****, others fighting, and the under performance from coaches. Tomlin is supposed to be a smart guy by all accounts...so something doesn't jive.
I think it is a reflection of the mentality of that generation more than anything. Look at Mahomes whining and other issues from other teams.

Yes I do. If I ask the question in an unrelated thread though it will get lost in the shuffle...now that wasn't hard logically was it?
Any fire Tomlin thread has valid and speculative reasons for his mediocreness (is this a word?), isn't this another one? To me it's completely related

Any fire Tomlin thread has valid and speculative reasons for his mediocreness (is this a word?), isn't this another one? To me it's completely related

It's a word !!!!!

I hope this thread doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Salute the nation

Tomlin shows up late and leaves early. He's not on the ball. His players learn from him.

Tomlin shows up late and leaves early. He's not on the ball. His players learn from him.
You forgot that he's a functional alcoholic and starts bar fights in the strip district.

If I was going to dig at the issue I would say he has some defensive chops but he delegates everything and let's his coaches "coach" which would be great if he had great coaches. He doesn't. I'd also say he is all over the map between play it by the book and go from the gut when it comes to decision making. And he is not 50% on good decisions. I also think the term players coach is synonymous with soft discipline. To me these are reasonable assumptions based upon some observable events and conjecture based upon what you hear out of players mouths and events that follow after. Anything else is pretty baseless

If I was going to dig at the issue I would say he has some defensive chops but he delegates everything and let's his coaches "coach" which would be great if he had great coaches. He doesn't. I'd also say he is all over the map between play it by the book and go from the gut when it comes to decision making. And he is not 50% on good decisions. I also think the term players coach is synonymous with soft discipline. To me these are reasonable assumptions based upon some observable events and conjecture based upon what you hear out of players mouths and events that follow after. Anything else is pretty baseless
I agree with that. I do have a question, and to use a Tomlin term...a global question...not just Tomlin and the Steelers. How do you discipline today's players, making millions upon millions, with an example like DeShaun Watson, who after doing what he did, was suspended, and then came out better contractually than he may have if he didn't do what he did?

I agree with that. I do have a question, and to use a Tomlin term...a global question...not just Tomlin and the Steelers. How do you discipline today's players, making millions upon millions, with an example like DeShaun Watson, who after doing what he did, was suspended, and then came out better contractually than he may have if he didn't do what he did?
I think you need to consider character heavily in the draft process. I mean Jesus look at the photo of George Pickens standing in front of his TV getting announced as a Steelers draft pick. Like if that doesn't get your antenna up... so when you get those guys you do not make them multi millionaires on your team. Lastly if you make a poor investment in a guy who is not pulling the rope in the direction you want you take a loss. You cannot win substantially with those players.
Last Tomlin thing I'm critical of is his overemphasis on draft status as he would say pedigree. I think anytime you do not put the best player on the field for any reason you send a horrible message to your group.

Disclaimer: I only read the title and the first sentence/question of the first post.

Reminds me of all the talk about how Tom Brady works so hard and spends so much time on film, but has anyone ever seen it? Have you ever seen him do 1 sprint? A push-up? How about a jumping jack? Was anyone there when he showed up to the office hours before anyone else or stayed late, and if so, can you confirm what he was actually doing? How do some of the biggest music entertainers achieve such heights when it's proven that they can't even sing? LOL, entertainment for the masses. Smoke and mirrors. A soap opera for men. As you were...