• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What are the odds Cam proves worth $22 mill in 2024?

I don't know what you're smoking. First of all, Cam isn't "just a few years younger," he's 35, which is ancient for a defensive lineman. Secondly, Chris Jones had 29 QB hits last season. Cam had 3.

Cam is NOT a "top 5-10 defensive lineman" anymore. You're kidding yourself. He's much closer to a "mope" than a top ten player at his position at this point.
cant really compare a 4-3 dlineman to a 3-4 delineman. to different animals.

cant really compare a 4-3 dlineman to a 3-4 delineman. to different animals.
I didn't bring up the comparison.

I don't know what all the fuss is about Cam. He has really only had 2 injury marred seasons since he's been a Steeler AND if he were just a few years younger, he might be making 30 million a year like Chris Jones (who doesn't have half of the tackles that Cam usually has) or Madubuike at 24mil/season.

Cam, when/if healthy is a top 5-10 defensive lineman. His stats are solid and he is always running down the field (unlike most DL). IF he stays healthy, 16m/yr is super cheap in 2024. He is paid at about the 17-18th highest DL in the league but his play is typically top 10. He should be fine this year and next year if he takes care of his body. Is it a risk? Yes, but not anymore risk than paying TJ Watt 30 million/yr. He's missed 11 games in 4 years from age 26-29 and Cam has missed 8 games over the past 4 years from age 30-34.

If we really want something valid to complain about, let's look at Minkah's huge money at 18m/yr whose missed 11 games in the last 4 years and went from 6 Ints in 2022 to zero last year with only 64 combined tackles after having 124 in 2021. What's the value in that?

As tape already said, having a bunch of mopes as back-ups to any of these high paid positions leaves you no choice...you pay and then pray.

We are one injury away from relevancy at some of our positions. That's what happens when you have superstar payers.
You will see the "fuss" play our in 2024. He's likely to not be on the field 50% of D snaps.

I don't know what you're smoking. First of all, Cam isn't "just a few years younger," he's 35, which is ancient for a defensive lineman. Secondly, Chris Jones had 29 QB hits last season. Cam had 3.

Cam is NOT a "top 5-10 defensive lineman" anymore. You're kidding yourself. He's much closer to a "mope" than a top ten player at his position at this point.
The Cam apologists act like Cam is going to reverse aging by 8-10 years in 2024; he's 35, not 25. Do the apologist think his injuries are a thing of the past and not likely to pop up again this season? I know that's Cam's mindset bt Father Time is undefeated. His "dad" - coach Tomlin - is already trying to make excuses for him and his uncool attitude he's exhibited so far this season. Shocker.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...d-by-cameron-heyward-missing-otas/ar-BB1mQwx7

“I’m not overly concerned, to be quite honest with you,” Tomlin said, via Chris Adamski of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. “Cam is a guy with over 10,000-plus career snaps. I know Cam very well. We’ve shared a lot of experiences over the years. He and I talk often. As a matter of fact, we talked twice yesterday. That is not an irregular thing. It’s what we always do. We talk about not only where he is and what’s going on with him, but where this team is. As a leader, he needs information in that regard.”

The Cam apologists act like Cam is going to reverse aging by 8-10 years in 2024; he's 35, not 25. Do the apologist think his injuries are a thing of the past and not likely to pop up again this season? I know that's Cam's mindset bt Father Time is undefeated. His "dad" - coach Tomlin - is already trying to make excuses for him and his uncool attitude he's exhibited so far this season. Shocker.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ot...d-by-cameron-heyward-missing-otas/ar-BB1mQwx7
Why does everything have to end up with a diss with you? Yeah Cam isn’t going to reverse his age. But we have no idea if he will get injured again this year. There is no likely or unlikely. It is an unknown as he hasn’t shown a trend. If he is injured and unproductive this year you can call it a likely sure.

That Father Time time clock happens to every player sure but nobody knows if it is here yet for Cam.

Your Tomlin hate spills over into your debates more often than not. We get it we are well versed in how you feel about him why don’t you give it a rest when it isn’t the subject.

Just because a poster doesn’t share in your hatred of whomever doesn’t make them an apologist.

A few posters always find a way to diss players and fans and I will never be fond of this approach when it is repetitive. The keyword here is repetitive.

You claim to not be a certain poster but do the exact same things he did. You just must be his doppelgänger huh?

I think this entire angle by Cam is simply so he can collect his entire pay for this upcoming season. He doesn't want to take a pay cut. Nobody would. Steelers have been doing things a bit different under Omar. I am a bit surprised they haven't approached Cam for a salary cut.

. Hopefully Cam will stay healthy and ball out. I am actually looking forward to seeing these petty screenshots he has talked about.

Why does everything have to end up with a diss with you? Yeah Cam isn’t going to reverse his age. But we have no idea if he will get injured again this year. There is no likely or unlikely. It is an unknown as he hasn’t shown a trend. If he is injured and unproductive this year you can call it a likely sure.

That Father Time time clock happens to every player sure but nobody knows if it is here yet for Cam.

Your Tomlin hate spills over into your debates more often than not. We get it we are well versed in how you feel about him why don’t you give it a rest when it isn’t the subject.

Just because a poster doesn’t share in your hatred of whomever doesn’t make them an apologist.

A few posters always find a way to diss players and fans and I will never be fond of this approach when it is repetitive. The keyword here is repetitive.

You claim to not be a certain poster but do the exact same things he did. You just must be his doppelgänger huh?
When posters continuously make excuses for a coach's dim decisions, I call them an apologist, sure I do. If I'm repetitive pointing out Shades' slower side, maybe it's because he keeps offering more examples of moronic decisions. Ever think of that? Now, right on cue. Tomlin has come out and tried to paint a picture that lessons Cam's outrageous demand for more $, as if he isn't already ripping the team off from his current salary. But no, he wants more. And his buddy in crime, Shades, is speaking out about how Cam's absence is all just Kool and the Gang. Of course he came out and said that.

They are buddies; they have each others' backs. So much so that the situation has emboldened Cam to think he deserves more $ than his already outrageous $22 mill cap hit for 2024. He's a 35 year old DLman, demanding a new contract above and beyond his current deal paying him $16/22 mill in 2024. He's demanding it, as if he's oblivious to what a 35-year-old, 3-4 DT bring to the table. I got one better, he thinks he is going to offer quality play for another 3 years and be paid like it. And all the while, dumb dumb Tomlin agrees with him and even makes excuses for him holding out.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...n-downplays-cam-heywardss-absence/ar-BB1mVH2F

This is what you sound like when talking about Cam

When posters continuously make excuses for a coach's dim decisions, I call them an apologist, sure I do. If I'm repetitive pointing out Shades' slower side, maybe it's because he keeps offering more examples of moronic decisions. Ever think of that? Now, right on cue. Tomlin has come out and tried to paint a picture that lessons Cam's outrageous demand for more $, as if he isn't already ripping the team off from his current salary. But no, he wants more. And his buddy in crime, Shades, is speaking out about how Cam's absence is all just Kool and the Gang. Of course he came out and said that.

They are buddies; they have each others' backs. So much so that the situation has emboldened Cam to think he deserves more $ than his already outrageous $22 mill cap hit for 2024. He's a 35 year old DLman, demanding a new contract above and beyond his current deal paying him $16/22 mill in 2024. He's demanding it, as if he's oblivious to what a 35-year-old, 3-4 DT bring to the table. I got one better, he thinks he is going to offer quality play for another 3 years and be paid like it. And all the while, dumb dumb Tomlin agrees with him and even makes excuses for him holding out.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...n-downplays-cam-heywardss-absence/ar-BB1mVH2F
Problem is nobody is making any excuses for anything. You just want to rattle off hatred and in the process flaming coaches and players. You have no idea what his agent is doing or will take so you are talking out of your arse.

You have no new things for us to think about we regurgitated it here over and over previously.

Why don’t you take a diss break you are starting to thread to thread be annoying with it.

Last edited:
So yes, you overpay Cam until you have somebody proven to take his place.
It's bad business to overpay players over 30. If a team is going to pay a defensive lineman a big contract, they need to be able to generate interior pressure and Cam really dropped off last season. He won't get better as he gets older.

Wth, really??? “Cam apologists”

It’s really laughable

I’ll just jump out there and say damn you Cam Heyward for being a lifelong Steeler and giving everything you’ve got for years, we should just throw you in the thrash bin as we have players of far superior quality on the roster and free agents lined up around the block waiting to come in and piss excellence for pennies

Thanks for the laugh tho

“Cam apologists”

Uh, hopefully we all know that Cam basically played on one leg last year and STILL was better than what some think we could replace him with this year if we part ways.

I'm NOT a fan of HCMT, as most already know.

Cam is a "run defender" who has some pass-pro chops. He had 4 blocked passes, 1 FF, 10.5 sacks, 74 tackles w 39 solo, 14 TFLs and 23 QB hits healthy at age 32-33 in 2022.

Now another guy still playing DL in this league had 1 blocked pass, 1 FF. 6.5 sacks, 56 tackles w 32 solo, 10 TFLs and 17 QB hits AT AGE 37...this past year. Calais Campbell.

What I'm saying is, Cam, after tearing his groin (painful and debilitating, no doubt) COULD HAVE collected his $16.4 million and stayed on the bench in 2023...but he didn't. He was a warrior who tried to compete to his own detriment. All year long we all knew he was playing injured BUT now we say that's who he is going to be from now on?

Let's look at the mileage on Cam. He's started a total of 159 games in his career. Calais Campbell has 225 games started and was still playing at a high level at age 37 last year.

YES, it is still a risk to pay players over 30, that's why he doesn't get a $24 million/yr contract like Madubuike. Does he deserve to be paid his ACTUAL salary of $16 mil/yr? As the 17th highest paid DL in the league, I say yes...for THIS YEAR. We will find out what he has left in the tank. All he is asking for is a commitment to have him back next year and maybe til he's 37, like Calais Campbell. CC has far more miles on his body than Cam and is a BIG freaking dude too.

IF we had somebody that could replace his 2022 healthy numbers, I'd have a different view BUT we don't. We shouldn't have much guaranteed money beyond this year either way BUT if he returns to his 2022 numbers, without a new deal...he WILL get big money to play somewhere on the chance that he could do it again.

IF we don't do better this year as a team, IMO, it won't be because of Cam or his contract. It will be because we have a HC that no good OC/DC or Position coach will play for because he meddles in their job. No coach has gone on to a promotion on another team and succeeded. Cower used to be "picked clean" of his coaches, year in, and year out.

Wth, really??? “Cam apologists”

It’s really laughable

I’ll just jump out there and say damn you Cam Heyward for being a lifelong Steeler and giving everything you’ve got for years, we should just throw you in the thrash bin as we have players of far superior quality on the roster and free agents lined up around the block waiting to come in and piss excellence for pennies

Thanks for the laugh tho

“Cam apologists”
Tell us about his didactic speech to Ben on taking less $ for "the team" and then get back to us.

Uh, hopefully we all know that Cam basically played on one leg last year and STILL was better than what some think we could replace him with this year if we part ways.

Cam is a "run defender" who has some pass-pro chops. He had 4 blocked passes, 1 FF, 10.5 sacks, 74 tackles w 39 solo, 14 TFLs and 23 QB hits healthy at age 32-33 in 2022.

Now another guy still playing DL in this league had 1 blocked pass, 1 FF. 6.5 sacks, 56 tackles w 32 solo, 10 TFLs and 17 QB hits AT AGE 37...this past year. Calais Campbell.
If his contract looks like Campbell's then it is a completely different story. When Campbell was 34, he signed a 2-year, $25 million contract with the Ravens. His next deal paid him an average of $6.25 million per year. I'd be fine with both of these types of deals for Heyward because they're paying him based on future, not past, production.

If I were making the decisions, I would try to sign Cam to a 2 year extension with money in the #15-20 range. This would lower his cap hit this year and provide depth for the next couple of years.

His cap hit this year is not because he is grossly overpaid, it is because they kicked his cap hit down the road due to contract renegotiations in years past. Eventually you end up in these situations with those moves. He will be a dead cap hit one of these days, that was expected.

Tomlin is the reason Cam is deciding to get an extension? I thought it’s Cam who wants an extension.

But, sure Coach.

This is what you sound like when talking about Cam

Oh Lord. Blitz is a genius with that clip. Perfect timing and placement. Made me spit my coffee all over the place and double over with laugh spasms.

Oh Lord. Blitz is a genius with that clip. Perfect timing and placement. Made me spit my coffee all over the place and double over with laugh spasms.
it is what I hear when he goes on... "we" cant sign Cam to a Cockadoodie contract extension!!!!

If I were making the decisions, I would try to sign Cam to a 2 year extension with money in the #15-20 range. This would lower his cap hit this year and provide depth for the next couple of years.

His cap hit this year is not because he is grossly overpaid, it is because they kicked his cap hit down the road due to contract renegotiations in years past. Eventually you end up in these situations with those moves. He will be a dead cap hit one of these days, that was expected.
He is due $16 million this season. So you are fine with his current contract. A bit high in my opinion. No biggie though. I thought since he was a big team first guy he would volunteer a pay cut. To help the team moving forward.

What I'm saying is, Cam, after tearing his groin (painful and debilitating, no doubt) COULD HAVE collected his $16.4 million and stayed on the bench in 2023...but he didn't. He was a warrior who tried to compete to his own detriment. All year long we all knew he was playing injured BUT now we say that's who he is going to be from now on?

Let's look at the mileage on Cam. He's started a total of 159 games in his career. Calais Campbell has 225 games started and was still playing at a high level at age 37 last year.

YES, it is still a risk to pay players over 30, that's why he doesn't get a $24 million/yr contract like Madubuike. Does he deserve to be paid his ACTUAL salary of $16 mil/yr? As the 17th highest paid DL in the league, I say yes...for THIS YEAR. We will find out what he has left in the tank. All he is asking for is a commitment to have him back next year and maybe til he's 37, like Calais Campbell. CC has far more miles on his body than Cam and is a BIG freaking dude too.

IF we had somebody that could replace his 2022 healthy numbers, I'd have a different view BUT we don't. We shouldn't have much guaranteed money beyond this year either way BUT if he returns to his 2022 numbers, without a new deal...he WILL get big money to play somewhere on the chance that he could do it again.

IF we don't do better this year as a team, IMO, it won't be because of Cam or his contract. It will be because we have a HC that no good OC/DC or Position coach will play for because he meddles in their job. No coach has gone on to a promotion on another team and succeeded. Cower used to be "picked clean" of his coaches, year in, and year out.
I think our main issues are our schemes on offense and defense. This year we will have to wait and see offensively. As far as defense goes I expect more of the last 5 or 6 years. It is what it is. Tomlin's fingers are dug in deep.

If Tomlin and Heyward are such buddies, would Heyward show disrespect to Tomlin and conduct this little holdout?