• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What are the odds Cam proves worth $22 mill in 2024?

Yes but you didn't answer my question about age being such a determining actor in your work.
I will not be able to keep up with my job as long as I want to. I will have to find something easier. Not at 35. But certainly by 60.
Again my employer has the right to come to me and say that I need to take a paycut. I could argue that I am under contract.
They have the right to break that contract and buy me out.
I would not willingly take a paycut. But if they said take the paycut or else. I would have a tough decision to make

You are underestimating Cam's greed, he thinks he deserves more $, and he sure as hell does not. He thinks his Walter Payton award bought him some more years for PR. It shouldn't add sh--.
Until you post a video to youtube of you AND Cam in the same room discussing his “greed”, you are doing nothing except libeling him on social media. You don’t know anything about him being “greedy” or not. Because he won’t come out and publicly offer to take a pay cut, like YOU DEMAND, you contend it must be because he is “greedy”.

Well, I demand that you quit posting, for the benefit of this message board.

New math? No. Simple math. That $16 mill isn't in Cam's pocket yet to give back. Cam knows the dynamics of the NFL. His agent secured him a signing bonus that went directly into his account. His to keep even if the Steelers cut him the next day. Every player knows how the NFL works. Here one and cut the next. The Steelers sign players every year and then cut them. Every team does. They fill out a roster for training camp and shake out a roster. I don't see you arguing for them to keep their job and money. Cam is no different.
UNTIL such time as the Steelers tell Cam he needs to take a pay cut or be released, the contract money is in his pocket. Any amount less than full contract is giving money back.

At the point the Steelers say he is not getting the contracted amount and will be released, THEN he will be negotiating for less money. Maybe even no money.

Two different situations, based on actual actions.

UNTIL such time as the Steelers tell Cam he needs to take a pay cut or be released, the contract money is in his pocket. Any amount less than full contract is giving money back.

At the point the Steelers say he is not getting the contracted amount and will be released, THEN he will be negotiating for less money. Maybe even no money.

Two different situations, based on actual actions.
Lol.....ok. You might think that but every NFL player knows that their contracts are not guaranteed.....but their signing bonus is. It is why in negotiations players get as high as a SB as possible.

Uh, hopefully we all know that Cam basically played on one leg last year and STILL was better than what some think we could replace him with this year if we part ways.

I'm NOT a fan of HCMT, as most already know.

Cam is a "run defender" who has some pass-pro chops. He had 4 blocked passes, 1 FF, 10.5 sacks, 74 tackles w 39 solo, 14 TFLs and 23 QB hits healthy at age 32-33 in 2022.

Now another guy still playing DL in this league had 1 blocked pass, 1 FF. 6.5 sacks, 56 tackles w 32 solo, 10 TFLs and 17 QB hits AT AGE 37...this past year. Calais Campbell.

What I'm saying is, Cam, after tearing his groin (painful and debilitating, no doubt) COULD HAVE collected his $16.4 million and stayed on the bench in 2023...but he didn't. He was a warrior who tried to compete to his own detriment. All year long we all knew he was playing injured BUT now we say that's who he is going to be from now on?

Let's look at the mileage on Cam. He's started a total of 159 games in his career. Calais Campbell has 225 games started and was still playing at a high level at age 37 last year.

YES, it is still a risk to pay players over 30, that's why he doesn't get a $24 million/yr contract like Madubuike. Does he deserve to be paid his ACTUAL salary of $16 mil/yr? As the 17th highest paid DL in the league, I say yes...for THIS YEAR. We will find out what he has left in the tank. All he is asking for is a commitment to have him back next year and maybe til he's 37, like Calais Campbell. CC has far more miles on his body than Cam and is a BIG freaking dude too.

IF we had somebody that could replace his 2022 healthy numbers, I'd have a different view BUT we don't. We shouldn't have much guaranteed money beyond this year either way BUT if he returns to his 2022 numbers, without a new deal...he WILL get big money to play somewhere on the chance that he could do it again.

IF we don't do better this year as a team, IMO, it won't be because of Cam or his contract. It will be because we have a HC that no good OC/DC or Position coach will play for because he meddles in their job. No coach has gone on to a promotion on another team and succeeded. Cower used to be "picked clean" of his coaches, year in, and year out.
Calais Campbell is an anomoly, not the norm. Let's take a look at the stats of the other NFL defensive lineman who were 35 or older in 2023:

Tyson Alualu (36): 0 sacks, 4 tackles, 0 TFLs, and 0 QB hits
Bruce Irvin (36): 1 sack, 1 tackle, 1 TFL, and 2 QB hits
Al Woods (36): 1 sack, 6 tackles, 2 TFLs, and 2 QB hits
Brandon Graham (35): 3 sacks, 16 tackles, 4 TFLs, and 6 QB hits
Jerry Hughes (35): 3 sacks, 32 tackles, 4 TFLs, and 3 QB hits
Linval Joseph (35): 1 sack, 12 tackles, 1 TFL, and 1 QB hit

And Campbell made $10 million during the season he was age 35, or less than half of what Heyward will make in 2024 if nothing changes.

Until you post a video to youtube of you AND Cam in the same room discussing his “greed”, you are doing nothing except libeling him on social media. You don’t know anything about him being “greedy” or not. Because he won’t come out and publicly offer to take a pay cut, like YOU DEMAND, you contend it must be because he is “greedy”.

Well, I demand that you quit posting, for the benefit of this message board.
I’m still waiting on Coach Lloyd providing the link to where Cam is quoted demanding BR to take a paycut. He won’t, because he knows he’s full of Jacksonville cow ****.

I’m still waiting on Coach Lloyd providing the link to where Cam is quoted demanding BR to take a paycut. He won’t, because he knows he’s full of Jacksonville cow ****.
I remember reading it. Just saying.

I will not be able to keep up with my job as long as I want to. I will have to find something easier. Not at 35. But certainly by 60.
Again my employer has the right to come to me and say that I need to take a paycut. I could argue that I am under contract.
They have the right to break that contract and buy me out.
I would not willingly take a paycut. But if they said take the paycut or else. I would have a tough decision to make

I hope it doesn’t come to this, for you.

Salute the nation

Lloyd is grabbing as much attention as he possibly can. He hasn’t had this much cream,…… well since his nursing days.

Salute the nation

out of curiosity. where did you think Ed Oliver would be drafted? No reason. just curious
The DT for the Bills? Had no opinion of him, other than I knew he was a good player.

If his contract looks like Campbell's then it is a completely different story. When Campbell was 34, he signed a 2-year, $25 million contract with the Ravens. His next deal paid him an average of $6.25 million per year. I'd be fine with both of these types of deals for Heyward because they're paying him based on future, not past, production.
I don't disagree with this, but do you think Cam is going to be that reasonable? After the hissy fits he's been throwing?

I know what Cam is at this point. He's not as good as he used to be but he's still the best DL the steelers have. That's just true.

Let Cam walk and it means you are OK with having either Loudermilk, Dean lowery, or Leal starting. That's insane. You are already deficient at an extremely important position. And that's assuming they stay healthy. What if the best of that lot gets injured and now you are playing their backup?

You need depth for a rotation at DL. Take Cam out and bump evereyone up a notch and now you are relying on a 2nd string caliber guy to start and a 3rd string caliber guy to play significant minutes in rotation. Maybe Loudermilk or Leal will improve or the 6th round rookie will prove to be a late round steal like Nick Herbig was but you can't plan on that. That's how you lie to yourself that you'll be fine with Kendrick Green or Mason Cole starting.

The steelers just made this same mistake on the OL and ILB the last few years.

I'm not saying you give Cam some mega deal for 5 years, but the steelers absolutely need him this year and probably next as well. Hopefully next year they will draft a DT in the 1st or 2nd, then Cam can have a final year as a starter then end his career as backup.

It would be different if the steelers were cap strapped, but they're not. They have a good bit of cap room. I expect a new deal for Freiermuth and then they may save some in case they can get a deal for a veteran WR.

At the end of the season, they don't add wins to your total for your cap space. You can always create cap space later if you need it by restructuring. Plus the cap goes up every year. Show me a team that enters the season with extra cap space and i'll show you a team that isn't doing it right. It's like having $50K sitting in a checking account.

You can't make decisions on an individual basis. You have to look at the whole. Aside from Cam, the DL is very cheap.

Lol.....ok. You might think that but every NFL player knows that their contracts are not guaranteed.....but their signing bonus is. It is why in negotiations players get as high as a SB as possible.
No ****, Sherlock

Calais Campbell is an anomoly, not the norm. Let's take a look at the stats of the other NFL defensive lineman who were 35 or older in 2023:

And Campbell made $10 million during the season he was age 35, or less than half of what Heyward will make in 2024 if nothing changes.
You are confusing Salary and Cap hit. Cam’s salary for 24 is 16 mil. The 22mil is the cap hit. If he is released, they have a 6 mil dead money hit, or 3 mil twice.

topseed said:

Thank you and Cam is gonna want paid more than any of those guys, just because he won the Walter Payton award and he is best buddies with Shades.

So says YOU. You are the king of conjecture, with zero supporting data.
My insights can seem shocking for those not in the know; I realize this. But in time most come to terms that my foreknowledge being 20-20. Hopefully you will realize this.

My insights can seem shocking for those not in the know; I realize this. But in time most come to terms that my foreknowledge being 20-20. Hopefully you will realize this.
Being best buddies with shades ure worked out for AR and KP.