• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What are the odds Cam proves worth $22 mill in 2024?

Could this also coincide with the introduction of the 2-game preseason and 18-game regular season?
Yep. If it happens, it’s the NFLPA‘s preemptive action before Goodell’s “wish and it’s true” modus operandi.

The steelers are paying their kicker more than both of their QBs. Russel Wilson is making less than the long snapper.
Wilson is making a hell of a lot more than the kicker, the Steelers are just not on the hook for it. Wilson is not earning minimum wage. The Steelers are just enjoying a once in a lifetime opportunity.

I'm not cherry picking, guy. I choose those two recent seasons because the snap counts were comparable. Heyward was on the field nearly twice as much as Lowry in each of those years which you're supposedly doing "apples to apples."

I never said Lowry was hot shlt, or even starting material. What I indicated was how pedestrian Cam's numbers were in 2023...similar to those of a "depth player" such as Lowry. Again: Cam had 3 QB HITS IN 443 SNAPS. Now, you and others can continue to make excuses for Heyward and say he was playing on one leg and all the other bullshlt, but the fact remains that Cam's production went in the crapper last season. But now he's going to be all better and perform like he did when he was completely healthy and two years younger? For a full season at the age of 35? Yeah, OK. Let's just go ahead and overpay the guy and throw away 16 million more dollars. Just because. Sounds like a great plan.
And, no, his absence from OTAs is actually helping the team, just ask his buddy Tomlin. And I'm sure Shades will stick up for Cam getting Rooney $ all the way through just like he did with Tuitt and lecture and berate anyone who bothers to ask about his condition, remember that one?

I just don't get why people are acting like Cam is dog crap and the Steelers are in cap trouble. The Steelers have over $18 Mill in cap space and they will have even more space if they give Cam a new deal because it will spread out his contract.

The steelers are paying their kicker more than both of their QBs. Russel Wilson is making less than the long snapper.
I don’t know if necessary people think Cam is “dog crap”. I know I don’t. If there is anything to the reports that he wants a new contract with more money is true.....well I think that definitely turns people off. He’s getting paid plenty,and like it or not his age and injury factor come into play here. I’d say he should prove he’s worth that 16 million.

You began your reply by “talk about cherry picking “
Any Tom,Dick,Harry or even Tape knows that Wilson is making 40 million this year.
Your statement has to be the biggest bit of “cherry picking “ I’ve seen In All my years here. And that’s saying a lot. 😁

And, no, his absence from OTAs is actually helping the team, just ask his buddy Tomlin. And I'm sure Shades will stick up for Cam getting Rooney $ all the way through just like he did with Tuitt and lecture and berate anyone who bothers to ask about his condition, remember that one?
Your sir, or ma’am from whatever gene pool you derive from are an absolute *******.

There was no lecture from Art 2, Tomlin, player or anyone in the front office regarding Tuitt. His circumstance was tragic and life changing. Lord only hopes you never have a younger sibling murdered who had planned to follow in his brother’s steps. The circumstance impacted his entire family and he had to assert priorities in dealing with it. Given the fact that his mother was a Sheriff at the time, not to mention the crime itself which is still unsolved IIRC. I don’t blame his decision.

You using this circumstance as another tactic to spew your tired and repetitive agenda just shows how idiotic and uneducated you are.

I think Cam has bounced back better than I anticipated before. Sure his age is a factor I still like to give this guy the chance at proving he can bounce back. He wasn’t just the average player. Can he be the Cam of two years ago? I dunno. But perhaps some middle ground between that and last season. Which would probably be better play than any other DE on the roster. For me the state of the position has to factor in this season at this time. As I mentioned they should tweak his cap hit but I don’t think replacing the guy at this point is an option….
Unfortunately, in my opinion, no. But I guess we'll probably find out in some form or fashion.

Your sir, or ma’am from whatever gene pool you derive from are an absolute *******.

There was no lecture from Art 2, Tomlin, player or anyone in the front office regarding Tuitt. His circumstance was tragic and life changing. Lord only hopes you never have a younger sibling murdered who had planned to follow in his brother’s steps. The circumstance impacted his entire family and he had to assert priorities in dealing with it. Given the fact that his mother was a Sheriff at the time, not to mention the crime itself which is still unsolved IIRC. I don’t blame his decision.

You using this circumstance as another tactic to spew your tired and repetitive agenda just shows how idiotic and uneducated you are.
Ever notice how the biggest d!ckheads in life have no empathy for others?

Unfortunately, in my opinion, no. But I guess we'll probably find out in some form or fashion.
And he'll be given the greenlight to rest whenever he wishes, no questions asked. He's on the "buddy list."

Nah, not really comparing. Just making the observation that if you would be unwilling to go to your employer and ask for reduction in salary, stop with all the righteous indignation because Cam Heyward won't. It's really pretty simple.
Yes, you really are comparing.

Again, your life's work and my life's work have exactly zero to do with the life and contract situation of an NFL player, especially one who has been with the same organization his entire career and is at a financial crossroads. Why you can't seem to understand this really pretty simple concept is beyond me, but as I said, I do get a kick out of it.

Anyway, I'll try to cater to your ongoing nonsense, play along, and say: Yes. Yes, if somehow for some reason (be it advanced age, outright incompetence, no longer giving a shlt about my job, or whatever situation you want to try to apply to somebody who doesn't play professional football like Cam does) my performance at work had dipped precipitously, and if for whatever reason I thought they'd still want to retain my diminished services, and if it meant that I could collect some kind of paycheck instead of getting fired, and if I still wanted to show up there every day, I would indeed ask for a paycut. A lot of "ifs" there.

Yes, you really are comparing.

Again, your life's work and my life's work have exactly zero to do with the life and contract situation of an NFL player, especially one who has been with the same organization his entire career and is at a financial crossroads. Why you can't seem to understand this really pretty simple concept is beyond me, but as I said, I do get a kick out of it.

Anyway, I'll try to cater to your ongoing nonsense, play along, and say: Yes. Yes, if somehow for some reason (be it advanced age, outright incompetence, no longer giving a shlt about my job, or whatever situation you want to try to apply to somebody who doesn't play professional football like Cam does) my performance at work had dipped precipitously, and if for whatever reason I thought they'd still want to retain my diminished services, and if it meant that I could collect some kind of paycheck instead of getting fired, and if I still wanted to show up there every day, I would indeed ask for a paycut. A lot of "ifs" there.
The original poster of this whole discussion has made the assertion that Cam Heyward should voluntarily ask the Steelers to cut his salary. Very few people in any job, NFL or otherwise, would do that. It is about the individual in that moment. It is not about the big picture of an NFL contract negotiation. Therefore is not a comparison, just an observation.

Whether the Steelers do or don't, should or shouldn't, is an entirely different discussion. That is the big picture of an NFL contract, and different than any normal situation we may find ourselves involved in.

Last edited:
The original poster of this whole discussion has made the assertion that Cam Heyward should voluntarily ask the Steelers to cut his salary. Very few people in any job, NFL or otherwise, would do that. It is about the individual in that moment. It is not about the big picture of an NFL contract negotiation. Therefore is not a comparison, just an observation.

Whether the Steelers do or don't, should or shouldn't, is an entirely different discussion. That is the big picture of an NFL contract, and different than any normal situation we may find ourselves involved in.
I don't known if the OP would have said Cam should volunteer a pay cut if he didn't advocate for Ben to take one.

I don't known if the OP would have said Cam should volunteer a pay cut if he didn't advocate for Ben to take one.
Perhaps. Regardless, few people would voluntarily ask for a pay reduction. Cam should have kept his mouth shut concerning Ben. That's why players never comment on someone else's contract. Because sooner or later they will be in that situation. No argument from me on that.

But now Cam too it to yet another level: instead of just accepting too much $ for what he's worth (after didictly lecturing Ben to take a "paycutt for the team") he's upped the ante and is now demanding more years and $. Just classic greed.

Last edited:
But now Cam too it to yet another level: instead of just accepting too much $ for what he's worth (after didictly lecturing Ben to take a "paycutt for the team") he's upped the ante and is now demanding more years and $. Just classic greed.
I have conceded the point to you about Cam and Ben's salary, mostly because I just don't know. I just don't listen to what these guys say, players or coaches. Most of it is a lot of horseshiit anyway. But you have said it so much, I looked it up. I found something in which Cam praised Ben for taking the cut to help the team, but have yet to find anything remotely resembling "lecturing." Another poster has asked you to link some kind of proof of this. Can you?

Regardless, Cam should not have commented at all. A player never knows when they will be in a similar situation, which is why they shouldn't comment.

As for his stance right now, I don't like it, either. But I don't get as upset over it as you, because the Steelers don't have to do anything. I would prefer they just get through the year and be out from under the contract, unless there is a player out there that they need the cap room for. But he can demand until the cows come home, he's 35, coming off injury...he'll show up when necessary. He knows it. He ain't getting anywhere near what he's gonna make with the Steelers. And if he wouldn't, oh well. I like Cam, I think he has been a heck of a player and community member, but I'm not attached to the guy. I'm not attached to any of them. They haven't won anything.

I don't see it as greed, though. I see it like you see a lot of players at this point in their careers...not realizing where they are at.

I have conceded the point to you about Cam and Ben's salary, mostly because I just don't know. I just don't listen to what these guys say, players or coaches. Most of it is a lot of horseshiit anyway. But you have said it so much, I looked it up. I found something in which Cam praised Ben for taking the cut to help the team, but have yet to find anything remotely resembling "lecturing." Another poster has asked you to link some kind of proof of this. Can you?

Regardless, Cam should not have commented at all. A player never knows when they will be in a similar situation, which is why they shouldn't comment.

As for his stance right now, I don't like it, either. But I don't get as upset over it as you, because the Steelers don't have to do anything. I would prefer they just get through the year and be out from under the contract, unless there is a player out there that they need the cap room for. But he can demand until the cows come home, he's 35, coming off injury...he'll show up when necessary. He knows it. He ain't getting anywhere near what he's gonna make with the Steelers. And if he wouldn't, oh well. I like Cam, I think he has been a heck of a player and community member, but I'm not attached to the guy. I'm not attached to any of them. They haven't won anything.

I don't see it as greed, though. I see it like you see a lot of players at this point in their careers...not realizing where they are at.
You offer a fair and reasonable take on the subject. I forget where I watched/read about Cam's comments towards Ben "taking less $ for the team to get better." Did I just make it up? No, that's not in my nature. But regardless, as you say, it really doesn't matter. Cam isn't worth what he was scheduled to make, forget about whining to make more and holding out. He can suck it with that noise. Do we really need to ADD $ for him wallow on the sidelines from injury or to "get another breather" for additional years than 2024? He can't be serious.

You offer a fair and reasonable take on the subject. I forget where I watched/read about Cam's comments towards Ben "taking less $ for the team to get better." Did I just make it up? No, that's not in my nature. But regardless, as you say, it really doesn't matter. Cam isn't worth what he was scheduled to make, forget about whining to make more and holding out. He can suck it with that noise. Do we really need to ADD $ for him wallow on the sidelines from injury or to "get another breather" for additional years than 2024? He can't be serious.
You “forget” because it never happened. You cannot provide the evidence that it did. As Diver stated, Cam applauded BR’s decision on his own to have a $5 mil reduction. I provided the link indicating this. There are also dozens of links detailing BR explaining his decision, not anyone else’s, to restructure.

“It’s not in your nature” to just make it up? Please, you make up more horseshit than a 30 stall stable. Your opinions of Cam’s Greed, team operations, coaching vet lists (of which all coaches have - Cowher’s was huge), not to mention your alter ego’s staple, Troy’s head size, all define your ability to discuss intelligently about football topics, much less Steelers. You are better off brushing your teeth to kiss your best friend Brady, before he starts his broadcasting gig.

You “forget” because it never happened. You cannot provide the evidence that it did. As Diver stated, Cam applauded BR’s decision on his own to have a $5 mil reduction. I provided the link indicating this. There are also dozens of links detailing BR explaining his decision, not anyone else’s, to restructure.

“It’s not in your nature” to just make it up? Please, you make up more horseshit than a 30 stall stable. Your opinions of Cam’s Greed, team operations, coaching vet lists (of which all coaches have - Cowher’s was huge), not to mention your alter ego’s staple, Troy’s head size, all define your ability to discuss intelligently about football topics, much less Steelers. You are better off brushing your teeth to kiss your best friend Brady, before he starts his broadcasting gig.
He appears to have played a game of telephone with himself about Cam turning Cam praising Ben for doing something helpful for the team (a team that was up against the cap) into Cam lecturing Ben into needing to take a paycut…big difference in the two scenarios. Maybe someone will thank Cam after he takes a two year extension that lowers his hit this year, I don’t really know or care as this team isn’t nearly as cash strapped vs the cap as that Ben team was.

The offseason is a helluva drug to get yourself wound up on. The good news is more mediocrity is right around the corner! Football season is almost back.

He appears to have played a game of telephone with himself about Cam turning Cam praising Ben for doing something helpful for the team (a team that was up against the cap) into Cam lecturing Ben into needing to take a paycut…big difference in the two scenarios. Maybe someone will thank Cam after he takes a two year extension that lowers his hit this year, I don’t really know or care as this team isn’t nearly as cash strapped vs the cap as that Ben team was.

The offseason is a helluva drug to get yourself wound up on. The good news is more mediocrity is right around the corner! Football season is almost back.
That’s exactly what’s going to happen. Cam will get an extension so his $22 mil plus whatever else is added, is spread over the extension length, probably three years. There will be voidable years as well. It’s how teams do business now with the cap as flush as it is.

The good news is more mediocrity is right around the corner! Football season is almost back.
This must be a reference to "Mediocre Mike." (Sigh) Yes, it's the reality of him being HC of this team.

This must be a reference to "Mediocre Mike." (Sigh) Yes, it's the reality of him being HC of this team.
I have high hopes for this squad,
Maybe even a playoff win
(Although that would guarantee 4 more years)

But I may be delusional on that offseason….it’s a helluva drug

I have high hopes for this squad,
Maybe even a playoff win
(Although that would guarantee 4 more years)

But I may be delusional on that offseason….it’s a helluva drug
The one hopeful, saving grace is that the moves made by Art II/Kahn represent a "new way" of Steelers doing business. When they cleaned house with adding Wilson/Fields and dumping Kenny, maybe that was a clear indication that this ain't Tomlin's show anymore. And then followed up with a draft that definitely did NOT have Shades' fingerprints on it, maybe, just maybe, Art has taken control back from Cool Shades. We can always dream. Maybe Smith is enough of his own man, that as OC he's not gonna take too much influence from Shades and we have a legit coach leading the O.