• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

What are the odds Cam proves worth $22 mill in 2024?

Any Heyward extension is a Ben final contract kicking cash down the road. And to me if they are doing that they have their eyes on some kind of move. They are currently under cap as it is. Unless they are making a splash move and they aren't cutting they should just get him off the books.

Any Heyward extension is a Ben final contract kicking cash down the road. And to me if they are doing that they have their eyes on some kind of move. They are currently under cap as it is. Unless they are making a splash move and they aren't cutting they should just get him off the books.

Totally Makes sense, I too am along this line of thinking.

As much as CAM has shown through out his career, both on and off the field, Father Time holds no pause. Pay the man, get him off the books and evaluate after the season.

If they do extend, make (2 or three total at the most) everything after this season VERY team cut friendly. I’m not sure what we will get out of him this year, more likely than not, it won’t be a pro-bowl type season for him.

That old saying “better to cut a year early, than a year late” holds true in this case, I think this is his last year and we will see his production (love to be wrong), but it won’t equal his current pay scale (Due to pushing money down the road, pay up and move on).

Salute the nation

Who is reporting there are contract extension talks going on? I haven't seen it anywhere.

He isn't worth it. He probably not a top 40 lineman anymore.

Totally Makes sense, I too am along this line of thinking.

As much as CAM has shown through out his career, both on and off the field, Father Time holds no pause. Pay the man, get him off the books and evaluate after the season.

If they do extend, make (2 or three total at the most) everything after this season VERY team cut friendly. I’m not sure what we will get out of him this year, more likely than not, it won’t be a pro-bowl type season for him.

That old saying “better to cut a year early, than a year late” holds true in this case, I think this is his last year and we will see his production (love to be wrong), but it won’t equal his current pay scale (Due to pushing money down the road, pay up and move on).

Salute the nation
In reality you are paying for tackles, tackles for loss, pressure and sacks. There is simply no way you are getting value for his current contract. The problem they get themselves in is they push money down the road until there I'd no way the players body can cash the check. It's a shame they couldn't rip the contract. He is on the books for 6m. Give him 10m more new dollars with his leadership he is worth 10. And call it a day. Watt is gonna become an issue too. He is gonna want a mega last contract that probably no way he can fulfill.

"Plenty left in the tank" except when he's on the sidelines 70% of the time. This extension talk is nonsense; the real talk should be about a pay cut without any extension. He's 35, coming off a pretty severe injure requiring surgery. How much of "an extension" should they be considering? You know what they call teams giving out extensions to 35-year-old DTs? Last place.

But I so wanted to listen to the Cam saying how Ben should take less $ to help the team. Where did that guy go?

I say about 0. You need to address that waste of $ too, Kahn; we are not done adding cap space or talent. So what if Shades made a promise he can't keep, give Cam the deserved haircut. So what if Cam gives Tomlin-peak all the time, he is not worth that $22 mill of cap space. And Fitz is making too much as well. You can find at least $10 mill of cap space between those two. Do it.
Cam should take a cut in pay. He won't. The Steelers won't ask him to or force him to for whatever reason. Cam is simply old and injury prone at this point. Plays 100% of what he is capable of when he is on the field though. Is that worth $20 mill plus at this point? Nope. Omar is being chicken s hi t afraid not asking or making Cam take a pay cut this year.

His contract was back loaded from day one...hence why his base salary this year is 16 mil. Now that he is due to get the bulk of his contract payed out people want him to take a pay cut or lose the final year of his contract pay. When teams show loyalty to players, maybe then I will fault a player for not being loyal...until that happens, take every last dollar and keep pushing for guaranteed contracts.
Of course that how it is. Teams back load a contract to be able to cut them in the last few years. It is why players want that SB upfront.

"Plenty left in the tank" except when he's on the sidelines 70% of the time. This extension talk is nonsense; the real talk should be about a pay cut without any extension. He's 35, coming off a pretty severe injure requiring surgery. How much of "an extension" should they be considering? You know what they call teams giving out extensions to 35-year-old DTs? Last place.

But I so wanted to listen to the Cam saying how Ben should take less $ to help the team. Where did that guy go?
They had an almost equally old hurt DE last season and still wasn’t in last place. This team isn’t dependent on Cam to win but their run blocking has been better arguably with him in there.

I do get the idea with going with younger fresher upcoming players. But the Steelers are limited in regards to that which limits what they ultimately do with Cam. That might change next year but won’t impact what they do with him on the field in this one. Leal has turned out to be a disappointment, Milk has been primarily a fill in run defender. Who else is ready to climb aboard?

Signing Heyward to an extension at this point of his career doesn't sound like an Omar Kahn type of move to me. I'd think about just cutting him and saving $16 million in cap space, myself. Especially if Logan Lee impresses early.

They had an almost equally old hurt DE last season and still wasn’t in last place. This team isn’t dependent on Cam to win but their run blocking has been better arguably with him in there.

I do get the idea with going with younger fresher upcoming players. But the Steelers are limited in regards to that which limits what they ultimately do with Cam. That might change next year but won’t impact what they do with him on the field in this one. Leal has turned out to be a disappointment, Milk has been primarily a fill in run defender. Who else is ready to climb aboard?
Well, Lee is a rookie, and in the old Cowher mode of DE rookies, who take 2 years to develop. Leal is a bust. Another "tweener." Milk is milktoast. Are we gonna be left with our FS having to play run all game again?