• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why we are the worst screen team

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
In case no one else noticed, we can't even run screen plays successfully. It seems like a play "pee-your-pants-on-any-turnover" would love to run but we just suck at running them. Why? Because unlike all the other QBs, Kenny even stares that play down. You would think he could easily be coached out of it, but he either can't be or they haven't bothered to try. Regardless, when we run a screen play from the snap Kenny immediately stares at the RB in the flat where he intends to throw the ball, alerting the defense and they cover it. It's so telegraphed that he has a tough time even getting the back the ball to begin with, as there is no space.

I noticed in this Tampa-Detroit game that Baker had the sense to look off the back he was throwing the screen to. It works much better that way and did for a TD. Just one more thing Kenny stinks at.

Mason did a pretty good job of looking off the RB and coming back to him for the screen pass.

You’re right though, our screen game leaks.

Salute the nation

In case no one else noticed, we can't even run screen plays successfully. It seems like a play "pee-your-pants-on-any-turnover" would love to run but we just suck at running them. Why? Because unlike all the other QBs, Kenny even stares that play down. You would think he could easily be coached out of it, but he either can't be or they haven't bothered to try. Regardless, when we run a screen play from the snap Kenny immediately stares at the RB in the flat where he intends to throw the ball, alerting the defense and they cover it. It's so telegraphed that he has a tough time even getting the back the ball to begin with, as there is no space.

I noticed in this Tampa-Detroit game that Baker had the sense to look off the back he was throwing the screen to. It works much better that way and did for a TD. Just one more thing Kenny stinks at.
One would think that a qb coach and or OC should and would fix this easily.

Again, watch other teams’ games and you can see how far behind we are.

Again, watch other teams’ games and you can see how far behind we are.
If I hadn't noticed it myself I would question your comments accuracy, thinking our staff would have to be competent enough to take care of this area, but no, they hadn't. It is obvious that they allowed screen passes to fall in the realm of "simple things needing addressed but haven't done so." Incredible what this staff screws up.

Tomlin is on record say that if you can’t already play your position, they can’t help you. They expect the players to come in and run the plays, “coaching up” players is not what they are interested in devoting time to.

Tomlin is on record say that if you can’t already play your position, they can’t help you. They expect the players to come in and run the plays, “coaching up” players is not what they are interested in devoting time to.
Then they drafted him with those mistakes and is their fault

Which I hate, its such a horse **** mindset as a coach, and illustrates exactly why this team looks the way they do, year after year. The best coaches in the league put a premium on coaching up their players, REGARDLESS of the player's talent and/or skill level. A coach should be a teacher of the game, first and foremost

One would think that a qb coach and or OC should and would fix this easily.
We haven't been competent at screens since Whisenhunt. Arians condemned this team to the run,run, pass 3rd and long= low%(who remembers when they couldn't score a TD in the red zone because of this?...LOL...good times...), then probably punt, offense.

It continued with Haley, though there were some breaks from it as Haley's philosophy is different (go big chunk at times on first or second) then a return to it with Fichtner, Canada(difference using jet sweeps on first and second at times) and all this was because of Ben and him being entrenched with B.A.'s offense.

They need to re work the playbook completely with whomever is brought in from the outside. Tomlin needs to not meddle as we know he'll want to keep the status quo....Rooney needs to make this clear and be heavily involved with the new OC(I know...I know..Jerry Jones we don't want, but someone needs to intervene with Tomlin and his offensive incompetence)
We need a big time F.A. wide receiver as well to stretch the field. Drops Johnson and Trippin Pickens aren't enough. If this isn't done we are doomed to the seasonal version of Groundhog Day.....believe me no one in their right mind wants to sing the duet "I Got You Babe" with Tomlin.

Last edited:
We haven't been competent at screens since Whisenhunt. Arians condemned this team to the run,run, pass 3rd and long= low%(who remembers when they couldn't score a TD in the red zone because of this?...LOL...good times...), then probably punt, offense.

It continued with Haley, though there were some breaks from it as Haley's philosophy is different (go big chunk at times on first or second) then a return to it with Fichtner, Canada(difference using jet sweeps on first and second at times) and all this was because of Ben and him being entrenched with B.A.'s offense.

They need to re work the playbook completely with whomever is brought in from the outside. Tomlin needs to not meddle as we know he'll want to keep the status quo....Rooney needs to make this clear and be heavily involved with the new OC(I know...I know..Jerry Jones we don't want, but someone needs to intervene with Tomlin and his offensive incompetence)
We need a big time F.A. wide receiver as well to stretch the field. Drops Johnson and Trippin Pickens aren't enough. If this isn't done we are doomed to the seasonal version of Groundhog Day.....believe me no one in their right mind wants to sing "I Got You Babe" with Tomlin.
I failed to mention the QB. It's probably going to be Mason O'Donnell or whatever F.A. is brought in (let the Wilson bashing begin) don't have much faith in Kenny...but hey surprise us.

With Ben the Steelers were tge worst running back screen team in the league. By far. Everyone who played this weekend used the running back in the pass game more efficiently then the Steelers

But I will say this I put this drawback on the QBs more than any other. It should he that is a gravy matchup as opposed to my last option. Especially with Harris.

Which I hate, its such a horse **** mindset as a coach, and illustrates exactly why this team looks the way they do, year after year. The best coaches in the league put a premium on coaching up their players, REGARDLESS of the player's talent and/or skill level. A coach should be a teacher of the game, first and foremost
And a coach should attack their opponents weakness. Something Tomlin doesn't do.

Worst screen team? Get some hot cheerleaders. That will perk up the screen.

Oops. Wrong screen.

So... um whats tge excuse for us sucking at screens for the last 17 years? This is not a recent thing... its been happening since arians took over from whiz
I'm not sure but I recall screens working just fine with Cowher teams.

Last edited: