• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

15 Years Ago Today…

polythemus

Reaction score
We hoisted the trophy 15 years ago today. I cannot believe it’s been that long.

I was honored to be there and experience a team that had just enough put it all together at the right time.

I’m lost on how we didn’t win a few more since then with all the talent on offense we had in the 2010s!

Anyways just reminiscing on old times.

We hoisted the trophy 15 years ago today. I cannot believe it’s been that long.

I was honored to be there and experience a team that had just enough put it all together at the right time.

I’m lost on how we didn’t win a few more since then with all the talent on offense we had in the 2010s!

Anyways just reminiscing on old times.
We replaced a Bill Cowher defense with a Mike Tomlin defense. The Killer Bee's win atleast 2 superbowls with Cowhers defense.

If XL was a better win it would be my favorite because of all of the falling short before. The win in Tampa over Arizona is the best because of the way they played and won. I hope I get at least one more in my life but strongly believe it's going to be a while. We are looking at three more years of Mike T. Followed by growing pains of new staff or possibly staffs. I guess some franchises never get one. But I'm 52 and wondering if there will be another in my lifetime.

15 years! That was a great game. James Harrison will always be the first thought in my brain when I think of that game.

Then that entire Ben&Santonio drive for the win.

The only reason XL has more meaning to me is that I had waited since 1981 to see that "One For The Thumb"happen.

Last edited:
Greatest Drive in Super Bowl history, if that were Brady, Manning, Mahomes they'd have easily been MVP and you'd never hear the end of how great that drive was, started with a 10 yard holding penalty, Ben was under pressure that entire drive.

Greatest Drive in Super Bowl history, if that were Brady, Manning, Mahomes they'd have easily been MVP and you'd never hear the end of how great that drive was, started with a 10 yard holding penalty, Ben was under pressure that entire drive.

That drive took a year off my life. I was soaked in sweat..lol.

I watched it at Station Square.
I drove in from Sandusky, Ohio to watch with friends and family in the Burgh.
The coolest thing I remember was the drive to and back home on the Ohio Turnpike...
When we were heading east to Pittsburgh the turnpike was loaded with Steeler fans going to Detroit...and returning wests the next day...the cars on the turnpike heading back from the game in Detroit were all decked out in Steeler paraphernalia...

Terrible Towels and Steeler flags dominated the Ohio Turnpike each way!

We had ourselves a time!

I watched it at Station Square.
I drove in from Sandusky, Ohio to watch with friends and family in the Burgh.
The coolest thing I remember was the drive to and back home on the Ohio Turnpike...
When we were heading east to Pittsburgh the turnpike was loaded with Steeler fans going to Detroit...and returning wests the next day...the cars on the turnpike heading back from the game in Detroit were all decked out in Steeler paraphernalia...

Terrible Towels and Steeler flags dominated the Ohio Turnpike each way!

We had ourselves a time!
Oops...disregard ...wrong Super Bowl :)

Nothing wrong with Santonio being MVP, but Ben should also be acknowledged more than he is. That's for sure one of the greatest drives in NFL history, especially considering the gravity. Much better than the Elway "drive" vs the Clowns.

Speaking of anniversaries - it was 50 years ago yesterday the Steelers drafted 4 Hall of Famers. Swann, Lambert, Stallworth and Webster.

Nothing wrong with Santonio being MVP, but Ben should also be acknowledged more than he is. That's for sure one of the greatest drives in NFL history, especially considering the gravity. Much better than the Elway "drive" vs the Clowns.

Speaking of anniversaries - it was 50 years ago yesterday the Steelers drafted 4 Hall of Famers. Swann, Lambert, Stallworth and Webster.
I believe they signed undrafted Donnie Shell as well.

If XL was a better win it would be my favorite because of all of the falling short before. The win in Tampa over Arizona is the best because of the way they played and won. I hope I get at least one more in my life but strongly believe it's going to be a while. We are looking at three more years of Mike T. Followed by growing pains of new staff or possibly staffs. I guess some franchises never get one. But I'm 52 and wondering if there will be another in my lifetime.
I feel the same. My friends who are Titans fans say I am spoiled.

I do think we are starting from scratch on offense and there will be major pain.

We replaced a Bill Cowher defense with a Mike Tomlin defense. The Killer Bee's win atleast 2 superbowls with Cowhers defense.
I think what has hurt our team the most has been the culture switch from what is was with Cowher to what we have now with Tomlin.

I think what has hurt our team the most has been the culture switch from what is was with Cowher to what we have now with Tomlin.
If you remember when he came in he rode those guys HARD to get the respect of the vets and team. He was gifted with an All-World D and had it very easy early on.

I don’t know know what happened the last decade. I’m sure he has had regrets on what he has or hasn’t done. Players are softer now and are not the players I grew up watching in the late 80s and 90s.

This board is split on MT and I’ve never been a hater except on game days when he doesn’t manage the clock properly, lose to inferior teams and lose coach's challenges.

I do find it amazing he hasn’t had a losing season but that’s never been or WILL BE the goal here. For other franchises they would welcome that level of success but he needs to get this fixed quickly.

Completely agree with this. Plus, the AFC Championship win over Baltimore to make it to Super Bowl 43 was incredible. The game was unbelievable with the greatest defensive play, drive, and pass in Super Bowl history.

Ben pretty much sucked in all 3 Bowls...that is reality. I love Ben because of his style of play and his toughness, but the over glorifying of him is silly at times.

40: QB rating of 22.6...enough said... 43: When they started the last drive he had 186 yards of passing to that point...0 TDs and 1 interception.....again enough said. Tone absolutely deserved the MVP in that game. He made plays earlier to that drive as well. 45: Although everyone blames Mendenhall, get one of Ben's picks back and you win that game. Also in that game he did the stupidest thing I think I have ever seen a pro QB do...and that is pump fake to the same side you end up throwing the ball to....and interception.

In fact that "MVP talk" is what ended up costing us that 7th ring.

Max Starks:

“I think we were trying to make sure that guys had opportunities for bigger trophies at the end,” said Starks, referring to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. “I’ll just leave it at that.”

Starks said that it makes sense to put the ball in your “superstar’s” hands but the Packers were the wrong opponent try so many passes.

“I think if it was anybody else but the Packers that came out of the NFC that year, yes but the Packers [had] the number one secondary,” added Starks.

And here Mendenhall lays down the gospel as to why he is blamed for the loss and not Ben. We all know Mendenhall is out trying to repair his legacy and is sick of the fans blaming him, but he lays out some truths here that are eye opening and really logical when you think about it. The QB gets all the glory and none of the blame.

From about the 49:00 minute mark in this video to almost the end Mendenhall preaches the gospel. They wanted to get Ben the MVP and because of that they got away from their strength and lost instead.

Ben pretty much sucked in all 3 Bowls...that is reality. I love Ben because of his style of play and his toughness, but the over glorifying of him is silly at times.

40: QB rating of 22.6...enough said... 43: When they started the last drive he had 186 yards of passing to that point...0 TDs and 1 interception.....again enough said. Tone absolutely deserved the MVP in that game. He made plays earlier to that drive as well. 45: Although everyone blames Mendenhall, get one of Ben's picks back and you win that game. Also in that game he did the stupidest thing I think I have ever seen a pro QB do...and that is pump fake to the same side you end up throwing the ball to....and interception.

In fact that "MVP talk" is what ended up costing us that 7th ring.

Max Starks:

“I think we were trying to make sure that guys had opportunities for bigger trophies at the end,” said Starks, referring to quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. “I’ll just leave it at that.”

Starks said that it makes sense to put the ball in your “superstar’s” hands but the Packers were the wrong opponent try so many passes.

“I think if it was anybody else but the Packers that came out of the NFC that year, yes but the Packers [had] the number one secondary,” added Starks.

And here Mendenhall lays down the gospel as to why he is blamed for the loss and not Ben. We all know Mendenhall is out trying to repair his legacy and is sick of the fans blaming him, but he lays out some truths here that are eye opening and really logical when you think about it. The QB gets all the glory and none of the blame.

From about the 49:00 minute mark in this video to almost the end Mendenhall preaches the gospel. They wanted to get Ben the MVP and because of that they got away from their strength and lost instead.

he did not play well in 2 Against the Hawks and Packers. what exactly was your expectation for him against the Cardinals

The playoff games leading up to the superbowl Ben was money. That Denver game was a cakewalk after saving our *** in the Colts game after the Bettis fumble.

They don't sniff any of the superbowls without him.

I do wish he would have played better in the Greenbay game early and we wouldn't have needed Spin then Fall to not fumble.

All becoming ancient history as the years click off.