• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Another school shooting. 8 dead.

I agree super, I think I helped derail this thread a bit. My post really had nothing to do with the OP.

I agree super, I think I helped derail this thread a bit. My post really had nothing to do with the OP.

Not at all. And I just edited my post before I saw your post where I said that it sounds like you are doing a great job with your kid and kudos btw.

Anyone with any sense who has been around a legit ADHD can tell it's totally real. I'm fairly certain I have it myself but back in my day they just called us hyperactive. I'm not a huge proponent of meds but for ADHD kids you can absolutely tell whether they've had their meds in the morning or not. For some kids they are literally almost bouncing off the walls and have a wild look in their eyes like they are barely able to contain themselves when un-medicated. For some I think the meds are unfortunately necessary at least on a temporary basis until they are able to come up with strategies to deal with the symptoms in other ways. I suppose that comes with age because a lot of adults are able to deal with their ADHD with no meds. But some of those kids would be kicked out of school on a daily basis if they weren't taking anything, guaranteed, because they would just be tear assing up and down the hallways all day with teachers chasing after them lol.

Last edited:
Not at all. And I just edited my post before I saw your post where I said that it sounds like you are doing a great job with your kid and kudos btw.

Anyone with any sense who has been around a legit ADHD can tell it's totally real. I'm fairly certain I have it myself but back in my day they just called us hyperactive. I'm not a huge proponent of meds but for ADHD kids you can absolutely tell whether they've had their meds in the morning or not. For some kids they are literally almost bouncing off the walls and have a wild look in their eyes like they are barely able to contain themselves when un-medicated. For some I think the meds are unfortunately necessary at least on a temporary basis until they are able to come up with strategies to deal with the symptoms in other ways. I suppose that comes with age because a lot of adults are able to deal with their ADHD with no meds. But some of those kids would be kicked out of school on a daily basis if they weren't taking anything, guaranteed, because they would just be tear assing up and down the hallways all day with teachers chasing after them lol.

Yup agree. I know a couple kids that do literally bounce off the walls. In those cases I don't know that there is a better alternative than to medicate. If my son does have legit ADHD, it's mild. I'm just not a fan of medicating every kid that can't sit like a statue in class.
As far as these school shootings, it scares the **** out of me to think this could happen in our community. Probably unlikely as it's a very small town, small school.
I'm not sure what the fix is. It's not a gun problem though, it's a cultural problem.

Yup agree. I know a couple kids that do literally bounce off the walls. In those cases I don't know that there is a better alternative than to medicate. If my son does have legit ADHD, it's mild. I'm just not a fan of medicating every kid that can't sit like a statue in class.
As far as these school shootings, it scares the **** out of me to think this could happen in our community. Probably unlikely as it's a very small town, small school.
I'm not sure what the fix is. It's not a gun problem though, it's a cultural problem.

I think a big part of it is that kids are no longer allowed to fail at anything or face consequences for their actions growing up. I think it stunts their ability to think and act rationally when they face things that are unpleasant. They have no mental or emotionally preparation for it because they've never been allowed to experience it. Someone is always there telling them it isn't their fault when they **** something up.

Thinking back, I'm sure there were kids in school with me who had ADHD, some did seem to act out and get in trouble more often than others, but at that time we didn't have medication, you just got beat until you learned how to act right.

How about this? A better background check. Raise the gun age limit to 21 for ownership ( Under age can still shoot target or hunting, AND provide the same background checks to Immigration and Voter Fraud.

NO! Raising the age limit to 21 would violate the Equal Protection Clause, and therefore be Constitutionally illegal.

Besides, that wouldn't stop a damn thing.

According to the Washington Post, there have been, to date, 29 deaths in 16 shooting incidents in 2018 in US schools.

Over the same period there have been 13 US service member deaths in seven incidents around the world, including helicopter crashes.

my apologies if already posted.

Thinking back, I'm sure there were kids in school with me who had ADHD, some did seem to act out and get in trouble more often than others, but at that time we didn't have medication, you just got beat until you learned how to act right.

I truly believe the "behavioral" medication that is widely and frequently given to kids in the last 15-20 years is a major factor in school shootings.

I think a big part of it is that kids are no longer allowed to fail at anything or face consequences for their actions growing up. I think it stunts their ability to think and act rationally when they face things that are unpleasant. They have no mental or emotionally preparation for it because they've never been allowed to experience it. Someone is always there telling them it isn't their fault when they **** something up.

I got transferred to an elementary school for the last 3 weeks of the school year. (Long story there). Anyhoo- the school is a "trauma free" school. There is absolutely ZERO discipline, as it might traumatize a child. I **** you not. Every morning, we do deep breathing and meditation exercises to calm us down. When the kids speak out of turn or are loud, the teachers are required to say, "I'm sorry....I'll wait until you are done talking," Any kind of negative language (like Stop, No, Be quiet, etc). is discouraged. The kids have complete control over the school and you can tell. I've never seen a school so out of control. Kids roam the halls and just walk into other classrooms like it's no big deal. The way the kids talk to each other and to grown ups is beyond appalling. I hear "Jesus Christ" ALL THE TIME. I've told a few that I've heard to "make a better language choice" and I get looked at like I grew another head. I shudder to think that these kids are gonna be our future leaders.

According to the Washington Post, there have been, to date, 29 deaths in 16 shooting incidents in 2018 in US schools.
There hasn't really been 16 school shootings. They're counting things like a guy committing suicide in his car at night at the parking lot of a school and cops shooting a guy outside a vacant school after a chase.

Not that it would have helped here, but a background check is only as good as what is reported.

When you have police departments and schools working in concert to avoid reporting crimes, the background check becomes useless.

There hasn't really been 16 school shootings. They're counting things like a guy committing suicide in his car at night at the parking lot of a school and cops shooting a guy outside a vacant school after a chase.

Burgundy beat me to it.

Not that it would have helped here, but a background check is only as good as what is reported.

When you have police departments and schools working in concert to avoid reporting crimes, the background check becomes useless.

You mean like that Obama era program that let the Parkland shooter slide?

A witness said that the psycho was singing "Another One Bites The Dust" while he was shooting.

I got transferred to an elementary school for the last 3 weeks of the school year. (Long story there). Anyhoo- the school is a "trauma free" school. There is absolutely ZERO discipline, as it might traumatize a child. I **** you not. Every morning, we do deep breathing and meditation exercises to calm us down. When the kids speak out of turn or are loud, the teachers are required to say, "I'm sorry....I'll wait until you are done talking," Any kind of negative language (like Stop, No, Be quiet, etc). is discouraged. The kids have complete control over the school and you can tell. I've never seen a school so out of control. Kids roam the halls and just walk into other classrooms like it's no big deal. The way the kids talk to each other and to grown ups is beyond appalling. I hear "Jesus Christ" ALL THE TIME. I've told a few that I've heard to "make a better language choice" and I get looked at like I grew another head. I shudder to think that these kids are gonna be our future leaders.

Yikes. I grew up in Catholic schools, elementary and high school. You looked at a nun the wrong way, get ready to have your knuckles rapped. And to those who believe that such discipline did not have the desired effects - my class read "Tale of Two Cities" in 6th grade, "Macbeth" in 7th grade, "Catcher in the Rye" in 7th grade. We also knew every part of speech and could discern the difference between the subjective and objective cases because we diagrammed sentences. I thereby knew at age 11 that the phrase, "Between you and I" is incorrect. The preposition creates the objective case - "Between you and me." Further, we were performing algebra in the 6th grade, geometry in the 7th grade.

But no, those discipline measures were completely unnecessary. I find it a great idea to let 12 year old kids decide what to do with their school day. What could go wrong?

Yikes. I grew up in Catholic schools, elementary and high school. You looked at a nun the wrong way, get ready to have your knuckles rapped. And to those who believe that such discipline did not have the desired effects - my class read "Tale of Two Cities" in 6th grade, "Macbeth" in 7th grade, "Catcher in the Rye" in 7th grade. We also knew every part of speech and could discern the difference between the subjective and objective cases because we diagrammed sentences. I thereby knew at age 11 that the phrase, "Between you and I" is incorrect. The preposition creates the objective case - "Between you and me." Further, we were performing algebra in the 6th grade, geometry in the 7th grade.

But no, those discipline measures were completely unnecessary. I find it a great idea to let 12 year old kids decide what to do with their school day. What could go wrong?

Yeah, but I bet if you couldn't read an analog clock, they'd just remove it from the room so you wouldn't be extra stressed.

So University dormitories are included in the list -- way to pad the statistics. You might as well include all shootings where anyone under 22 was involved as either the perpetrator or the victim.

Padding stats is why we changed the definition of "mass shooting" so we could say that they happen at a rate of 1 almost every day. I don't know what it would be if you took out Chicago, though.

Exactly!!!! The scary thing is that the parents are on board with this philosophy and back the principal 100%. Mind you, this is NOT an inner city school. It's the wealthiest school in our town- there is a country club and the surrounding neighborhoods that go to this school. So it's a bunch of spoiled, entitled white ******** running around.

So University dormitories are included in the list -- way to pad the statistics. You might as well include all shootings where anyone under 22 was involved as either the perpetrator or the victim.

Also include any shooting where the adult shooter or adult victims ever attended school as a child.

Did you even read the list before you posted it? Even a quick skim reveals most of that list is entirely unrelated to school shootings.
Well this proves how bullshit this list is. My daughter lives at the apartment complex this shooting took place at, it is actually off of foreman road. the college is on old shell and university blvd. look it up on a map. this apartment is not close to being on campus. (thank God Brittany and Steven finally bought a house in a great neighborhood there).