• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Bell is not only talented, but he's also smart

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I want to highlight a play that didn't even get the Steelers any yardage on Sunday vs the Giants, but it also didn't cost them any yardage.

The playcall was a HB option pass on 2nd and 11 with 54 seconds left in the first quarter. Bell takes the pitch to the right where he was not trying to gain yardage, but create space for a pass attempt. The Giants were not fooled at all on this play, and the receiver options were covered. Bell, being a RB, his instinct normally would be to run and try and gain some yardage, however when RBs check out of the pass into the run after the play has broken down, they are usually tackled for a loss, and it would have been about an 8 yard loss. Instead of trying to advance the football against pass blocking that was breaking down deep in the backfield, Bell instead decided to throw the ball away.

This is a high football IQ play, and one that I can't recall ever seeing from a player running the HB option. Running Backs are more apt to force a bad throw (since they don't get to throw often and want to make a play with their arm), or option out of the pass late, trying to run for yardage, but usually ending up losing yardage. Being a passer outside of the pocket, Bell was able to throw the ball out of bounds (past the LOS) without the possibility of penalty or loss of yardage. He made the smart play on this forgettable down, to give Ben a chance to pick up the first down on the next play.

Personally I think more RBs should use this tactic, not just for passing option plays, but for plays when they are running to the edge when they can see they can't advance the football, they can throw the ball OOB to avoid a loss of yardage. I wouldn't trust every running back be able to do this, but with Bell's vision and athleticism, I'd trust him to make those plays. I'm not sure if the coaches told Bell to throw it away if the play was not there, or if he decided to do it on his own, but one thing can be said about it, it was the right thing to do in that situation. Smart play Bell!

We definately have a "thinking" RB. His running ability shows that to the full degree. Amazing how he plays two positions at such a HIGH level. His football IQ is absolutely very good. Now on his personal side, I feel he has that part under control. His work on dicipline / completing the related stuff of SUSPENTION / surrounding himself with the right people / etc. all combine to his success. GLAD he is on our team and hoping FO finds a way to keep him.

Salute the nation

I want to highlight a play that didn't even get the Steelers any yardage on Sunday vs the Giants, but it also didn't cost them any yardage.

The playcall was a HB option pass on 2nd and 11 with 54 seconds left in the first quarter. Bell takes the pitch to the right where he was not trying to gain yardage, but create space for a pass attempt. The Giants were not fooled at all on this play, and the receiver options were covered. Bell, being a RB, his instinct normally would be to run and try and gain some yardage, however when RBs check out of the pass into the run after the play has broken down, they are usually tackled for a loss, and it would have been about an 8 yard loss. Instead of trying to advance the football against pass blocking that was breaking down deep in the backfield, Bell instead decided to throw the ball away.

This is a high football IQ play, and one that I can't recall ever seeing from a player running the HB option. Running Backs are more apt to force a bad throw (since they don't get to throw often and want to make a play with their arm), or option out of the pass late, trying to run for yardage, but usually ending up losing yardage. Being a passer outside of the pocket, Bell was able to throw the ball out of bounds (past the LOS) without the possibility of penalty or loss of yardage. He made the smart play on this forgettable down, to give Ben a chance to pick up the first down on the next play.

Personally I think more RBs should use this tactic, not just for passing option plays, but for plays when they are running to the edge when they can see they can't advance the football, they can throw the ball OOB to avoid a loss of yardage. I wouldn't trust every running back be able to do this, but with Bell's vision and athleticism, I'd trust him to make those plays. I'm not sure if the coaches told Bell to throw it away if the play was not there, or if he decided to do it on his own, but one thing can be said about it, it was the right thing to do in that situation. Smart play Bell!

I for one hope the coaches that week told him if your option isn't open to throw the ball away. I actually wish he'd have tucked the ball like he was going to run instead of instantly holding it like a passer. I feel he didn't fool anyone because they saw how he was holding the ball. But hey that's just me.

Personally I think more RBs should use this tactic, not just for passing option plays, but for plays when they are running to the edge when they can see they can't advance the football, they can throw the ball OOB to avoid a loss of yardage.

I don't think that would be an option since on running plays, the offensive lineman are going to be downfield.

^^^took the words out my mouth^^^

But nonetheless a smart play in the end here. Kinda weak at the beginning as pointed out though as the pass was obvious from the second he touched the ball.

If he can stay off the weed for a few seasons and clock some cash I'll start subscribing to how smart Bell is.

We definately have a "thinking" RB. His running ability shows that to the full degree. Amazing how he plays two positions at such a HIGH level. His football IQ is absolutely very good. Now on his personal side, I feel he has that part under control. His work on dicipline / completing the related stuff of SUSPENTION / surrounding himself with the right people / etc. all combine to his success. GLAD he is on our team and hoping FO finds a way to keep him.

Salute the nation

His off field character isn't really all bad either. Not a fan of his music, and his toking habits can be controlled. He conducts himself well and works hard at his craft. He's the Steelers best offensive player imo

His off field character isn't really all bad either. Not a fan of his music, and his toking habits can be controlled. He conducts himself well and works hard at his craft. He's the Steelers best offensive player imo

Would be a hard call for me. Three players I wouldn't want to be without. Ben/Bell/, and Brown.

With that being said they need to live up to their potential.

Would be a hard call for me. Three players I wouldn't want to be without. Ben/Bell/, and Brown.

With that being said they need to live up to their potential.
No way Bell or Brown are close to Ben in importance. Won a playoff game without Bell and had Denver beaten without Brown and Bell until touissant fumbled.

Ben is the most single important Steeler.

everyone else is below him. that includes the coaching staff.

Ben is the franchise.

stupid call all around.
You have an elite QB and you are taking the ball off his hands
You have an elite RB rusher/catcher and you are taking that facet off his game to ask him to throw
You have an elite WR that now has to receive from a mediocre thrower at best

stupid call all around.
You have an elite QB and you are taking the ball off his hands
You have an elite RB rusher/catcher and you are taking that facet off his game to ask him to throw
You have an elite WR that now has to receive from a mediocre thrower at best

Hind sight definately makes your staement true. It's that element of surprise that would have ONLY made this play call work. The opposing team didn't bite thus the failure. Not every time do a said pass or run work either, it's just the game. It also makes the "D" have to be aware of one more thing. Peace

Salute the nation

Hind sight definately makes your staement true. It's that element of surprise that would have ONLY made this play call work. The opposing team didn't bite thus the failure. Not every time do a said pass or run work either, it's just the game. It also makes the "D" have to be aware of one more thing. Peace

Salute the nation

I'd agree with you IF the O were really stalling or the QB were Landry Jones. Basically form the snap you are playing 10 against 11 because Ben (a HOF by the way) becomes useless. It doesn't make sense with the available personnel and the game situation

Hey Litos, Bettis used to be pretty good at that play!

ooooppps It appears as Bettis was 6 attempt with 3 completions 3 TDs 1 interception

Salute the nation

with the collection of ****** QBs we had, I don't doubt it was a good choice to surprise the opponents