• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ben Roethlisberger: “I think TJ is seriously one of the best players I’ve ever played against.”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
A large component to a team’s success in the NFL is a short memory, both good and bad. The Pittsburgh Steelers bounced back after a humiliating loss against the Cincinnati Bengals by winning a tough, gritty matchup versus AFC North rival, Baltimore Ravens. With the Steelers traveling to Minnesota to take on the Minnesota Vikings for Thursday Night Football this week, there needs to be a very short hangover after Week 13 as we look ahead to Week 14. Seeing as though this week is an abbreviated one, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger held his weekly meeting with the media on Tuesday as the team prepares for another NFC North showdown.

Earlier this week, head coach Mike Tomlin said he awarded the Ravens game ball to Roethlisberger to show the younger players what is expected by the organization. This may have been something that stemmed from last week’s comments by various Steelers’ alumni that helps the next “generation” of players to witness the Pittsburgh Steelers’ standard. Roethlisberger was asked about his thoughts of receiving the game ball last Sunday:

“Maybe because it’s the Ravens, and it’s at home and that’s a special win,” he said. “Playing a team like that, any AFC North team, but especially those guys and it’s just something special about winning and winning at home and doing it that way.” He ended by saying, “You think about the many fourth quarter or last play of the game type things that have happened against those guys and it’s special.”

Looking back to last week, Roethlisberger referred to the Bengals game as “bubblegum,” where you chew on it for a bit and spit it out. He’s taking a similar approach to the recent 20-19 victory this week. When asked how long he was going to “chew” on last week, Roethlisberger said:

“Just through the night. Had family and friends over and then it’s literally the next morning you got to move on, just because it’s a short week and you got to go. It’s no different then if you had a bad day at the office, you got to move on quickly. Having a good day, you still have to move on because you have the next week, and that’s what we have to do.”

Although this week features an out-of-conference opponent in the Vikings, the Steelers are still facing a familiar foe in Vikings’ head coach, Mike Zimmer. Zimmer used to be the defensive coordinator for the Bengals and is known as one of the best defensive minds in the NFL. Naturally, Roethlisberger faced several questions about how he is preparing and what he thinks the offense will see on Thursday:

“We watched a little bit [of tape] today of the last time they came here and played. In Cincinnati, a lot of the double-barrel stuff, we do look at a lot of that stuff today.” Looking at how the Vikings have 16 players on their roster who each have a sack this season, Roethlisberger continued his thoughts, “They’re not a heavy blitz team, they just got really good football players. Obviously, they’re dealing with some injuries as well, two of their D-linemen, that their big sack guys aren’t going to be out there. But they do that double-barrel, the Coach Zimmer double-barrel, and bringing some safeties up, but it’s not an overly complicated, where they’re giving you a million different looks, it’s just guys being better than the guy across from them.”

One of the biggest performers of last week’s game was linebacker TJ Watt. Watt recorded 3.5 sacks in the game, with 3 tackles for loss, and 6 hits on Ravens’ quarterback, Lamar Jackson. Roethlisberger was asked about Watt’s performance and what he brings to the team:

“I think TJ is seriously one of the best players I’ve ever played against, and I’ve played against some really good defensive guys. He truly is a special player. I’m glad I’ve never been sacked by him. He is a game-changer and a game-wrecker. I’ve been a part of guys like that, Troy Polamalu, who can change a football game and it doesn’t happen on defense that often. To be a literal game-changer on defense is something completely special and he should be recognized more than just a defensive player. He should absolutely get MVP votes as well because that’s what kind of a player he is.”

With the Steelers being in tight contention in the AFC playoff race, they will need as much help from Watt and Roethlisberger as they can get. It goes without saying that every game is a must-win at this point in the season.

What are you looking for in practice this week? Do you think Watt should be named MVP? Let us know in the comments!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..

TJ changes the game entirely on his own. He's in the running for MVP right now. Still 5 games to go. For him to have a real chance he has to stay healthy and the Steelers have to play well as a unit. Any more games like Cincinnati would take him out of it.

One of the PG writers already ranks Watt as the 3rd greatest LB in Steelers history behind Ham and Lambert. Watt has 65.5 sacks in 72 games. It took Harrison 177 games to get to 80.5. Watt very well may pass him by the end of next year. That is ******* impressive.

TJ changes the game entirely on his own. He's in the running for MVP right now. Still 5 games to go. For him to have a real chance he has to stay healthy and the Steelers have to play well as a unit. Any more games like Cincinnati would take him out of it.
Just break the NFL sack record that would make those ******* stand up and notice.

One of the PG writers already ranks Watt as the 3rd greatest LB in Steelers history behind Ham and Lambert. Watt has 65.5 sacks in 72 games. It took Harrison 177 games to get to 80.5. Watt very well may pass him by the end of next year. That is ******* impressive.

In Deebo's defense, he played spot duty in many of those games I'm going to assume. But yeah, Watt is just on another level.

That is high ******* praise.

Just in the 'recent years' we've got so many great linebackers to look at. In no particular order...

Kevin Greene
Greg Lloyd
Chad Green
Levon Kirkland
Joey Porter
Jason Gildon (getting ready to duck)
James Harrison

When a guy as naturally talented as Ryan Shazier can't even make the list (due to the short time of his tenure here) you gotta be respectful of what the Steelers have done with their linebackers. I'm sure I'm missing several. Those are just the guys off the top of my head in the last 10 or 20 years.

I guess I’m biased, but was there anybody more fun to watch as an all-around player than Greg Lloyd?

I guess I’m biased, but was there anybody more fun to watch as an all-around player than Greg Lloyd?
I still love watching old games of Ham and Lambert. Ham is one of the best ILB's to truly ever put on any uniform but doesn't get talked about much. He could do everything. Lambert was and is my all-time favorite Steelers player though.

Just in the 'recent years' we've got so many great linebackers to look at. In no particular order...

Kevin Greene
Greg Lloyd
Chad Green
Levon Kirkland
Joey Porter
James Harrison

When a guy as naturally talented as Ryan Shazier can't even make the list (due to the short time of his tenure here) you gotta be respectful of what the Steelers have done with their linebackers. I'm sure I'm missing several. Those are just the guys off the top of my head in the last 10 or 20 years.
Steelers fans have been blessed with such a history of crazy good LBers. It was amazing to watch everyone of those guys play. And now Watt.

Dude played with a legitimate rage. It made him such a great football player. Was a real bane in his personal life though.

If he stays consistant, I think MVP of the league is more like it. A defensive guy who is the BEST defensive player bar none should have a legitimate shot at MVP of the league, **** the dismal QBs.!!

Salute the nation

Kevin Greene
Greg Lloyd
Chad Green
Levon Kirkland
Joey Porter
James Harrison

I am taking it you meant Chad Brown. Don't forget Woodley he had some significant moments.

Don't forget Woodley he had some significant moments.

I know he wasn't a game-changer, but it was fun to watch Earl "The Hit Man" Holmes crack some skulls back in the day (well, my day) also. Run-stuffing machine.

And let's not forget James Farrior and Larry Foote. I remember one game (can't remember which game or season but it was early in his Steelers career), Farrior landed hard straight on his head and it looked like he cracked his damn neck, only to miss one series and get back into the game. Now we have guys like Devin Bush. Sorry, but has anyone seen that guy hit someone that made you do much more than yawn?

I know he wasn't a game-changer, but it was fun to watch Earl "The Hit Man" Holmes crack some skulls back in the day (well, my day) also. Run-stuffing machine.

And let's not forget James Farrior and Larry Foote. I remember one game (can't remember which game or season but it was early in his Steelers career), Farrior landed hard straight on his head and it looked like he cracked his damn neck, only to miss one series and get back into the game. Now we have guys like Devin Bush. Sorry, but has anyone seen that guy hit someone that made you do much more than yawn?
Farrior was a great find. Liked me some Potsie. Lot of good hits by him are you thinking about the Derrick Ward hit? Holmes and Foote solid mentions too.

Lot of good hits by him are you thinking about the Derrick Ward hit?

My memory is not so good on the specifics, I just remember one play where Potsie was flung into the air, landed straight on his dome and it looked like it was going to be a bad injury - only for him to come back like 2 series later to wreak some more havoc.

Kevin Greene
Greg Lloyd
Chad Green
Levon Kirkland
Joey Porter
James Harrison

A couple of these guys you listed were products of working within a great system. TJ is the system.

Farrior and Foote were great together. I always felt Foote was under-rated. The guy was not athletically gifted, but he seemed to be in the right place all the time. TJ is like a one man wrecking machine. Last year he had Dupree who was having a great year along with Tuitt. Highsmith is doing alright, but TJ is carrying most of the load himself. I think what separates TJ is his knack to come though in big moments like Troy. If TJ hadnt missed games you would think he would have at least 2 more sacks. I think its still a little too early to list TJ as an all-time great, but if he has a couple more good years he will definitely be way up there. I just hope we dont waste his career with an inept offense.

I still love watching old games of Ham and Lambert. Ham is one of the best ILB's to truly ever put on any uniform but doesn't get talked about much. He could do everything. Lambert was and is my all-time favorite Steelers player though.

Agreed. Ham and Lambert were REALLY good in pass coverage, as evidenced by Ham's 32 career interceptions and Lambert's 28. Lambert had a HUGE pick in SB XIV.

Kudos the Colbert & Co.

But i think the coaches might want to step back and reassess how they use their LBers. They just ******* cut a beast. Fat Predator on the team = we win one those last 3 losses. Chargers game?

Kudos the Colbert & Co.

But i think the coaches might want to step back and reassess how they use their LBers. They just ******* cut a beast. Fat Predator on the team = we win one those last 3 losses. Chargers game?
And anotha one

Everyone ALWAYS talk about the playas. But why don't we ever hear **** about the coaches making stupid decisions?

Agreed. Ham and Lambert were REALLY good in pass coverage, as evidenced by Ham's 32 career interceptions and Lambert's 28. Lambert had a HUGE pick in SB XIV.
Lambert's interception was 30 yards down field.man had unreal range in both running and passing game.