• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Care Package For Deployed Steelers Fan

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
So I got an email last night. I'll show you guys what it said.

Hello my name is SSgt Precious Parks-Matthews. I am a medic in the Air Force assigned to 99th Medical Squadron at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada. I have been a Steelers fan my entire life. I am currently deployed for the 3rd year in a row and I will sadly be missing another season of watching the Steelers. I was wondering if there is a chance that you guys send military members care packages?

She later gave me her address and she is stationed in Qatar. Maybe Sarge, or Spike can tell me how much shipping something like this would cost. And maybe we could put together some money and I'll buy some Steelers items to send over to this person.

Let me know some details if you would. Lynn too. I'm sure you have experience. I'm not sure how all of this works.

So I got an email last night. I'll show you guys what it said.

She later gave me her address and she is stationed in Qatar. Maybe Sarge, or Spike can tell me how much shipping something like this would cost. And maybe we could put together some money and I'll buy some Steelers items to send over to this person.

Let me know some details if you would. Lynn too. I'm sure you have experience. I'm not sure how all of this works.

Weird, I got a note too. They even gave me their bank routing number and asked if I could help her also. Must be the season of giving!

dear-beloved_0.png

Dep[ends on what you send, but my wife sent everything to me Priority US Mail. Most packages were 8 pounds or so, cost about $10-20.

The best thing you could send to her are a game or two on DVD/Blu-Ray. We usually get the prime time games on AFN so I wouldn't send MNF or TNF games. Shipping to apo/ae addresses aren't too bad. If you ship about 5lbs, it shouldn't be about $8 from Western PA.

Okay nice. What should I/we send? Are yinz interested in doing this or no? Everyone pitches in $5 I could go down to the Steelers store in the mall and buy some stuff?

I'm in for sure. Yes, Steeler stuff, there is also a suggestion list on the postal service website.

An organization I belong to sent care packages a few years back through a website that took troop requests, and I seem to recall that popular items were socks, dvd movies. pc games, playing cards, books, prepared foods that are non-perishable and can be easily transported and microwaved (i.e. granola bars, beef jerky, small bags of nuts, candy other than chocolate, gum, instant soup, hot cocoa, powdered drink mix), travel size toiletries, pocket sized tissue packs, and believe it or not, feminine hygiene products.