• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Chickillo and Jones film

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.steelcityreport.com/film...plays-improved-play-and-awareness-week-4-nfl/

http://www.steelcityreport.com/film...-chickillo-continues-to-impress-against-jets/

BOTH are helping the Steelers play some Good defense. Good to see. I would have no problem signing Jones to another deal. Cause obviously he isn't going to demand a huge deal. Dupree Jones and Chick would be ok going forward to me instead of again spending a premium pick on a OLB.

In the links is film of both Joes against the Chiefs and Chick against the Jets

Good stuff. I love watching those.
karma.

Funny thing about Jones. And chickillo , is this:

Jones played the 3/4 defense at Georgia and was thought to be NFL ready coming out due to his skills and familiarity with our defense.

Chickillo was a down lineman if I'm not mistaken, and is seemingly picking everything up well and developing quick. As opposed to jones who is playing solid after 3 years.

Everyone is different.

Nice read.

The video breakdowns of plays is almost always worth the trouble (unless you are reading the Gildong report...).

Always thought it would be interesting to have 10 people watch the same 5 or 6 players for a whole game and grade them (with explanations) on each play to see the differences in how people see a particular play.

The one nice play by Chick where he had the RB slowed down in the backfield so that others could make the tackle might be considered a good play by some, while others would note how he missed the tackle, which would have been for a loss.

karma.

Funny thing about Jones. And chickillo , is this:

Jones played the 3/4 defense at Georgia and was thought to be NFL ready coming out due to his skills and familiarity with our defense.

Chickillo was a down lineman if I'm not mistaken, and is seemingly picking everything up well and developing quick. As opposed to jones who is playing solid after 3 years.

Everyone is different.

Correct. Chickillo was down lineman end in college, with a playing weight of about 270 pounds in college. The coaching back then at Miami was a terrible mess. In one year, Chickillo has reduced his playing weight to fit our system and has shown improvement in camp, and most recently in the regular season games. He still has not played a lot of football, but I think he will get better as he has more snaps uder his belt. You can say some of the 2016 rookies has loged in more time in the defense.

With Jones having an injured wrist ( again ), perhaps Tomlin will give Chickillo more snaps.

The one nice play by Chick where he had the RB slowed down in the backfield so that others could make the tackle might be considered a good play by some, while others would note how he missed the tackle, which would have been for a loss.

That's called being disruptive and playing your gap.

Correct. Chickillo was down lineman end in college, with a playing weight of about 270 pounds in college. The coaching back then at Miami was a terrible mess. In one year, Chickillo has reduced his playing weight to fit our system and has shown improvement in camp, and most recently in the regular season games. He still has not played a lot of football, but I think he will get better as he has more snaps uder his belt. You can say some of the 2016 rookies has loged in more time in the defense.

With Jones having an injured wrist ( again ), perhaps Tomlin will give Chickillo more snaps.

Why do I care that you didn't like his coaches? I was pretty sure he was a downlineman at Miami, that's why I said "if I'm not mistaken" . Which also goes without saying I know he had to lose that weight to play OLB here. WHat does this mean?: "You can say some of the 2016 has loged in more time in the defense."3

My comments were simply contrasting the two players in their development.

Always thought it would be interesting to have 10 people watch the same 5 or 6 players for a whole game and grade them (with explanations) on each play to see the differences in how people see a particular play.

Good point Ark.

Coach calls it filling his gap. I call it giving up contain and crashing down. He made a great play here. The OL pulling to kick him out . Chickillo crashes down hard before he even sees this guy coming. If the lineman had taken an inside out route on his pull, chickillo would have been kicked out of the hole. Then he adjusts to the oncoming tight end as well and somehow gets his hands on the back. Athletic play. However, was it intended he give up contain? Was there a stunt on and someone else had contain? Who knows.. But coaches disruptive looks like he gave up contain too early. His athleticism enabled him to make the play. So yeah you could look at things 2 ways.

** crashing also helped plug the hole mind you. But the contain could have been a disaster

He took a chance and luckily it worked out..

Why do I care that you didn't like his coaches? I was pretty sure he was a downlineman at Miami, that's why I said "if I'm not mistaken" . Which also goes without saying I know he had to lose that weight to play OLB here. WHat does this mean?: "You can say some of the 2016 has loged in more time in the defense."3

Miami had plenty of guys drafted and a losing record his senior year. The coaching was so bad, those at the combine were asking the players why they finished with a losing record. But enough on the coaching at UM.

When you make a transition switch from DL to OLB, it takes more time. Jones was 3-4 ready and played college in a system that featured him. Drafted as a pass rusher, Jones is a bust there. Even Ziggy Hood had far more sacks as a 3-4 DE.

As for being 270 + or - a few pounds and playing 3-4 OLB, that's not ideal but that was the weight Chickillo came into camp at. He's quicker and faster now and has said so.

At the combine, he ran a 4.79 as a DL player. I'll bet he's faster now with 15 or so pounds shed.

Chickillo's 20-yard shuttle, cone drill, bench, and vertical range from good to excellent for an OLB. Pretty much all his numbers are better than Jarvis Jones. Give it a few more weeks, and I think we'll have clear data as to who should be on the field on passing downs. Jones so far has had many more chances.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/anthony-chickillo?id=2552266

Again why do we need to put them against each other? We use a rotation..And we will continue to use one because we are in a passing league now. More plays are being ran. Players need a breather. We need both. Smh there is no need to put them against each other, other then to be RIGHT

When you make a transition switch from DL to OLB, it takes more time. Jones was 3-4 ready and played college in a system that featured him.

As for being 270 + or - a few pounds and playing 3-4 OLB, that's not ideal but that was the weight Chickillo came into camp at. He's quicker and faster now and has said so.

At the combine, he ran a 4.79 as a DL player. I'll bet he's faster now with 15 or so pounds shed.

You truly are master of the obvious and even after my second post you feel the need to expound up on the obvious.

Chickillo's 20-yard shuttle, cone drill, bench, and vertical range from good to excellent for an OLB. Pretty much all his numbers are better than Jarvis Jones. Give it a few more weeks, and I think we'll have clear data as to who should be on the field on passing downs. Jones so far has had many more chances.
We know you have this incessant need to talk about chickillo and that Jarvis is bad. The original post was showing that both are playing good defense .

WHat does this mean?: "You can say some of the 2016 has loged in more time in the defense."3

Still waiting for this explanation.

That's called being disruptive and playing your gap.

lol...I figured as much.

in an earlier missed tackles, Timmons was highlighted by the brilliant StarSpangledSteeler as missing a tackle in a similar manner to show how bad Timmons really is. Timmons, at least, STILL had his hand on the guy when he was tackled.

Miami had plenty of guys drafted and a losing record his senior year. The coaching was so bad, those at the combine were asking the players why they finished with a losing record. But enough on the coaching at UM.

When you make a transition switch from DL to OLB, it takes more time. Jones was 3-4 ready and played college in a system that featured him. Drafted as a pass rusher, Jones is a bust there. Even Ziggy Hood had far more sacks as a 3-4 DE.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/anthony-chickillo?id=2552266

Chickillo has a heigh ceiling and a low floor, I hope he continues his development and next season start pushing for a starting spot

Still waiting for this explanation.

Fixed it for you. It was a typo, I'm busy.

You can say some of the 2016 rookies have logged in more time in the defense in comparison to Chickillo. In other words, if Chickillo played as much as some of the rookies or Javis " I can't rush the passer and am frequently hurt " Jones, he would be more productive.

Yes Jones who played his best game in a long time, still needs to be replaced.

Fixed it for you. It was a typo, I'm busy.

You can say some of the 2016 rookies have logged in more time in the defense in comparison to Chickillo. In other words, if Chickillo played as much as some of the rookies or Javis " I can't rush the passer and am frequently hurt " Jones, he would be more productive.

Yes Jones who played his best game in a long time, still needs to be replaced.

Played a good game against KC too

Antdrewjosh,

Are you aware Jarvis Jones has not had a half a sack or sack in his last 16 games?

The truth is Jarvis Jones has not had a full sack in his last in 20 NFL regular season games.

Stop defending a dog with fleas. Jarvis sucks as a pass rusher and should be replaced on obvious passing downs. I think 20 games tells the tale. You figure he'd have a player flushed his way to get at least one more full sack by now.

Last edited:
Antdrewjosh,

Are you aware Jarvis Jones has not had a sack in his last 16 games? And before that, it was only a half a sack

The truth is he has a full sack in his last in 20 NFL regular season games.

Stop defending a dog with fleas. Jarvis sucks as a pass rusher and should be replaced on obvious passing downs

Wrong he had a strip sack fumble in the playoffs against the Bengals that helped send us on to Denver..

Antdrewjosh,

Are you aware Jarvis Jones has not had a sack in his last 16 games? And before that, it was only a half a sack

The truth is he has a full sack in his last in 20 NFL regular season games.

Stop defending a dog with fleas. Jarvis sucks as a pass rusher and should be replaced on obvious passing downs

And besides there is more to it then sacks. Way more. There is nothing wrong with saying he has been solid so far this year Coach. Nothing. Does he need to improve his sack numbers yes but so does EVERYONE else besides Heyward who will say he needs to also. Tuitt doesn't have one either should we replace him??

He also chased down a guy from behind which Coach said he couldn't do. JJ has played solid this year, it just doesn't fit Coach's narrative/agenda so he'll keep the blinders on and keep pushing for Chick. Seen this song and dance before, nothing to see here.

It just can't be that both guys are improving and contributing in some people's eyes.

I'm happy they both seem to be progressing as our D improves through the retooling.

And besides there is more to it then sacks. Way more. There is nothing wrong with saying he has been solid so far this year Coach. Nothing. Does he need to improve his sack numbers yes but so does EVERYONE else besides Heyward who will say he needs to also. Tuitt doesn't have one either should we replace him??

Yeah, I bet he has the least QB pressures relative to his snap count. Oh, I already posted that a while back. Jones was last on the team.

No full sacks in the last 20 games for a starter at OLB? Jones might be alone with this dubious result.

If he's assignment sound and the younger more talented players are not quite there yet, fine play him at times for now. But when its 3rd and long or 2nd and long, I want him off the field for the most part.

Maybe we can find a middle ground on the above on the 2nd to last sentence.

Yeah, I bet he has the least QB pressures relative to his snap count. Oh, I already posted that a while back. Jones was last on the team.

No full sacks in the last 20 games for a starter at OLB? Jones might be alone with this dubious result.

If he's assignment sound and the younger more talented players are not quite there yet, fine play him at times for now. But when its 3rd and long or 2nd and long, I want him off the field for the most part.

Maybe we can find a middle ground on the above on the 2nd to last sentence.

So you are not counting the playoffs..huge play but of course I see why you want to omit that one

The only thing I want to see in my defensive players is improvement, not regression.

Chickillo, Jarvis, Williams, Hargrave, Davis, Cockrell, Burns, Dangerfield, and Golden are all showing improvement week to week on this Defense.

Shazier, Tuitt, and Heyward are playing at a high level, as we have come to expect.

Mitchell, McClendon, Harrison, Mathews, Gay, Moats, and Timmons are still solid and making plays.

I even have some level of interest to see what Shamarko, Matekavitch, and Gilbert are capable of on D.

I'm not seeing any regression individually yet, so if this continues, our D will continue to get stronger as the year progresses.

So you are not counting the playoffs..huge play but of course I see why you want to omit that one

No full sack in 20 regular season games. Isn't that sample large enough?

If it makes you feel better how about 1.5 sacks in the last 18 games, including the playoffs? That's still beyond terrible!

Last edited:
The only thing I want to see in my defensive players is improvement, not regression.

Chickillo, Jarvis, Williams, Hargrave, Davis, Cockrell, Burns, Dangerfield, and Golden are all showing improvement week to week on this Defense.

Shazier, Tuitt, and Heyward are playing at a high level, as we have come to expect.

Mitchell, McClendon, Harrison, Mathews, Gay, Moats, and Timmons are still solid and making plays.

I even have some level of interest to see what Shamarko, Matekavitch, and Gilbert are capable of on D.

I'm not seeing any regression individually yet, so if this continues, our D will continue to get stronger as the year progresses.

I'm actually a tad disappointed in Tuitt's play in 2016. I'm not saying he's a bum, but his overall play has delcined. He was better last year.

McClendon is off the team, if you meant to say, Big Dan, he's very limited.

I have not seen much at all out of Matthews.

Thomas has injured himself again.