• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Colts Pregame thread

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Lets get some actual football talk going here, lol

So Steelers at the Colts...

This is the Steelers 3rd road game already..
historically we mash the colts ... our record is +18 vs them all time.. but they did beat us last year... albeit with a backup QB... which can be our kryptonite sometimes...

What we have going for us:
A. Tge 13-30 drubbing last year should still be fresh in our minds
B. The Run D ought to be better
C. The Colts had some big injuries last game
D. Richardson has been really bad. He leads the league in picks and has only completed 49% of his passes...
E. the colts run D is very enigmatic... they only give up 4.4 ypc, but are so consistently getting run on that they are second worse in the league at 179 ypg
F. Their pass d isnt great, and 2 CBs may be out (they worked out CJ Henderson right before we signed him)

What is going against us:

-An injury list longer than Long John Silvers Peg leg
-A game vs the overhyped Cowboys on the horizon
-the Specter of Mike Tomlin busting out his Tim Tebow package vs Richardson...

This has been the kind of game where we win on paper, but come out flat in and lose

If we won, it gives you extra leeway having three early road victories in the bag... it puts so much pressure on the divisional rivals... who all are having unexpected struggles right now ... this game could be more important than the Cowboys game right now.. its an AFC game and, if you were optimistic enough to believe the Steelers could be in the running for the top seed at the end of the season, the colts would be a common opponent for both the Bills and the Texans...

If we lose, we drop back into manageable territory for the division foes... plus there is the risk that the Colts could go on a run.., their schedule isn't tough...

Steelers could take a big lead in the division. Ravens play the bills and could be 1-3. Browns look horrible and could lose to to a Raider team that just got called out by their coach for quitting last week. The Bengals face Carolina and their old QB Andy Dalton. Could he send Cincy to 0-4?

Lets get some actual football talk going here, lol

So Steelers at the Colts...

This is the Steelers 3rd road game already..
historically we mash the colts ... our record is +18 vs them all time.. but they did beat us last year... albeit with a backup QB... which can be our kryptonite sometimes...

What we have going for us:
A. Tge 13-30 drubbing last year should still be fresh in our minds
B. The Run D ought to be better
C. The Colts had some big injuries last game
D. Richardson has been really bad. He leads the league in picks and has only completed 49% of his passes...
E. the colts run D is very enigmatic... they only give up 4.4 ypc, but are so consistently getting run on that they are second worse in the league at 179 ypg
F. Their pass d isnt great, and 2 CBs may be out (they worked out CJ Henderson right before we signed him)

What is going against us:

-An injury list longer than Long John Silvers Peg leg
-A game vs the overhyped Cowboys on the horizon
-the Specter of Mike Tomlin busting out his Tim Tebow package vs Richardson...

This has been the kind of game where we win on paper, but come out flat in and lose

If we won, it gives you extra leeway having three early road victories in the bag... it puts so much pressure on the divisional rivals... who all are having unexpected struggles right now ... this game could be more important than the Cowboys game right now.. its an AFC game and, if you were optimistic enough to believe the Steelers could be in the running for the top seed at the end of the season, the colts would be a common opponent for both the Bills and the Texans...

If we lose, we drop back into manageable territory for the division foes... plus there is the risk that the Colts could go on a run.., their schedule isn't tough...

I doubt Lloyd takes the hint.

Thier qb has been playing bad. I think our defense will fluster him into mistakes.

We can't afford a turnover. We aren't really equipped to come from behind.

I joke about the Game we blew vs Tebow, but honestly that game really did teach Tomlin a ton about gameplans for run first QBs...
the league tends to overcompensate against the run vs them. It gives them easy passes. We have gotten much better vs RBs that throw too, lol.. just ask Lame-R Jackass

Highsmith being out will hurt the pass rush a bit. Not a big drop off from Herbig but the depth and guys getting winded could be an issue. George needs to have a breakout game and I predict it’s this weekend. He’s affected the game in ways you don’t see on the stat sheet but this week I think he gets his 100+ yard game. Our running back situation isn’t ideal with Najee and Jaylen not being 100%. I think Fields probably passes a little more and QB keeps it a little more. I think JPJ gets his hands on a poorly thrown Anthony Richardson ball. I think Tomlin plays down to his opponent like normal. 24-21 Colts.

Thier qb has been playing bad. I think our defense will fluster him into mistakes.

We can't afford a turnover. We aren't really equipped to come from behind.
I hope we continue to play aggressive in the secondary. When we rush 4 and get pressure it allows us to do so much more. And agreed with that we need to play TO free. Hopefully we het a few picks off of Richardson. Six on the season already.

Also I read on the home page we went into last week with only 4 WRs active and Patterson as an option. Then Jefferson went down. Do we dress 5 WRs? Or continue with only 4?

Also I read on the home page we went into last week with only 4 WRs active and Patterson as an option. Then Jefferson went down. Do we dress 5 WRs? Or continue with only 4?
Its because of two things

A. Injury concerns at other positions
B. We use fewer wrs than in years past... even if we go 5 wide.. its really a mix of Wrs, TEs and Rbs spread out...

A couple decades ago, dressing 4 wrs was the norm..

If the team is going with only 3 OLBs plus Leal, that's an available hat for roman Wilson to get as the 5th WR. There's also the Warren injury situation, if Patterson is the de fqcto #2 RB you can't really count on him to be the 5th wr too

See the issue is that you can only bring 8 players back from IR during the regular season... we already have several that likely come back... Cook, Moon, Trice, maybe Matakevich... its only week four... thats a long time for bigger players to get hurt..

See the issue is that you can only bring 8 players back from IR during the regular season... we already have several that likely come back... Cook, Moon, Trice, maybe Matakevich... its only week four... thats a long time for bigger players to get hurt..
I'd keep dirty red IRd, same for Moon if Highsmiths injury is short timed

I'd keep dirty red IRd, same for Moon if Highsmiths injury is short timed

I was just going to make the same comment on dirty red. We have others who can play special teams equal to or not much drop off as him.

Salute the nation

Here is the thing about this game... save for the raiders game, its win value is the highest until the Baltimore game in week 11
Every year, graded out, the six division games typically make up the six most valuable wins for a team, though sometimes a non divisional game creeps into there... like this year the Christmas game vs KC... its rated above the home Bengals game in week 18..

The Broncos were a pretty important win, so were the Chargers.. both were more important than this game, but atlanta was the least important game on the schedule.., winning it was nice, but it didnt do anything for most important tiebreakers and its an NFC team...

The Colts are an AFC road game..they are the only AFC south team we play
afterwards, before the bye week, we play 2 NFC teams at home, The Raiders on the west coast , and the jets at home... after the bye we get a road game with Washington...

Of those games, the Raiders are by far the most valuable.., they are an Afc road game, and they are from the division our division plays, so lots of tiebreakers in all directions...

So this game isnt nearly as big as tge last two weeks were or any of the bigger games down the stretch,
But winning it pads a cushion in the division and minimizes the impact any hiccups through the soft part of the schedule would have...

Richardson has a very nice deep ball and the guy can run well. Have to contain him and force mistakes.
Taylor an excellent RB that has to be contained as well.
I think if we can put up at least 17 we can beat this team. Play aggressive, play smart, and keep protecting the ball Justin. Make good decisions.

I think this will be a statement game for us, just not sure what the statement will be.

Will it be he we are for real we got **** figured out and we have the best defense in the NFL.

Or will the statement be yep fooled you again get ready for another average season and late middle round draft pick.

I think it will be the first one, or at least that's what I'm hoping for.

I think this will be a statement game for us, just not sure what the statement will be.

Will it be he we are for real we got **** figured out and we have the best defense in the NFL.

Or will the statement be yep fooled you again get ready for another average season and late middle round draft pick.

I think it will be the first one, or at least that's what I'm hoping for.
I find Cowerd's complete dismantling of Indy's chances somewhat off putting. Yes, they may not be the best team but acting like they have no chance at all doesn't seem wise, especially when considering our history under Tomlin; two consecutive loses to 2-10 TEAMS RING A BELL?

Genius insight, pure brilliance.

Yet it is factual, unlike most things you post.

BTW...This is supposed to be football talk so stop the attacks or I will put you on ignore.
I'm serious.
This ain't no joke.
I will put you on ignore.

(Lloyd has no clue that I' m mocking him)

Last edited: