• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Derek Chauvin Trial

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Is going on right now. Personally, I think the guy should rot. Even if his knee in the neck didn't explicitly kill George Floyd, Floyd was in distress, said as much and Chauvin kept his fat knee on his neck anyway until he died. That is just ****** policing at the very least. No way he should just walk.

All of that said, and no matter what you think of Chauvin or the case in general, there is no way he gets a fair trial. Every juror seated is going to convict the guy and it's going to take about 10 minutes. I mean, the guy should be punished, but did he actually murder George Floyd? I don't know. Floyd was high on fentanyl and meth at the time of his death, and that could have contributed. The medical examiners report also showed no signs of asphyxia, so there's that. So if he didn't asphyxiate from the knee and was high on drugs that can kill you, I'm not sure an unbiased jury convicts for murder. Chauvin is guilty of a number of things, but I'm not sure murder is one of those things. Manslaughter? Easily. But 2nd degree murder? I'm not so sure.

In an unbiased case, I think Ellison overcharged and overcharged on purpose. But with the state of race relations in this country and everybody being racist for being alive, I see no way they don't convict. No one wants their city to burn, and no one wants to be labeled a racist or white supremacist. People are more afraid of that label than a whole lot of things. So IMHO, it's a done deal. Chauvin will be convicted of second degree murder and sentenced to 40 years, which is the max on the charge.

Look, George Floyd shouldn't have died that way. No with a cop's knee on his neck pinning him to the ground. If they cuff him and put him in the car, and he dies, ok. I mean, that's bad, but holy ****, you didn't pin a man to the ground with your knee on his neck and hold him there while he pleaded for help and died while you had your knee on his neck. That's bad no matter what the guy did.

It's a ****** up case, for sure. Gonna be interesting to see what happens. Many businesses in Minneapolis have already boarded up in anticipation of the riots that will surely ensue if there is anything less than a conviction for 2nd degree murder. Sad that people with no involvement whatsoever have to take such measures, but this is the brave new world we live in.

What do you guys think? Does he get convicted of 2nd degree murder? Does he deserve it?

GF would have died regardless of what happened. The man was dying by his own accord. Let me take this back to 3rd grade. “Listen to authority” , your teachers, your elders, your parents, the police and bad things won’t happen.

GF would have died regardless of what happened. The man was dying by his own accord. Let me take this back to 3rd grade. “Listen to authority” , your teachers, your elders, your parents, the police and bad things won’t happen.
Where did you read he would have died regardless? I hadn't seen that anywhere. If you could link to that, I'd be interested to read it.

Where did you read he would have died regardless? I hadn't seen that anywhere. If you could link to that, I'd be interested to read it.
Dude was a career criminal and hard core junkie. That tends to lower one‘s life expectancy considerably.

so because we are AFRAID of our **** getting destroyed or being tagged with a label we just forget about the law. well **** that you want to call me a raciest go right the **** ahead I could give two ***** what anybody that doesn't know me thinks. this is the problem we have in this country, let the thugs and gangsters run apeshit over the slighest thing that they don't agree with or they will act like animals. maybe instead of hiding from them or being afraid of them the law should just put them down like animals

so because we are AFRAID of our **** getting destroyed or being tagged with a label we just forget about the law. well **** that you want to call me a raciest go right the **** ahead I could give two ***** what anybody that doesn't know me thinks. this is the problem we have in this country, let the thugs and gangsters run apeshit over the slighest thing that they don't agree with or they will act like animals. maybe instead of hiding from them or being afraid of them the law should just put them down like animals
Ding ding ding.

when I ride dirty coming home from the bar I’m an ***. I know if I’m pulled over, I am at fault. I’m not running, I take my lumps.

Its a culture of no one can tell me what to do. No respect for authority.
It’s growing harder and harder for me with my 11yr old. But she will be wrapped around the head while under my roof for being a slug.

He was on meth, and some other things, but he had enough fental in his symstem to kill a horse.
Again, I read that he had meth, fentanyl and weed in his system. I didn’t read that it was enough to kill a horse or a person for that matter.

Never said it was right, but it’s reality right now. Regardless, I think the threat of violence will definitely influence the jury. It’s why I said I don’t think he’ll get a fair trial. People are too afraid to view the evidence objectively.

He overdosed on fentanyl. He would have been dead in a half hour even if he never met the cops. The DA did not release that particular piece of information for several months because it didn't fit the narrative. There is video of Floyd sitting in the back seat of a police car saying he can't breath BEFORE Chauvin had him on the ground. What I am not clear on and what ISN'T good is why did he go from being handcuffed and in a police car to being out of the police car and on the ground?

Is going on right now. Personally, I think the guy should rot. Even if his knee in the neck didn't explicitly kill George Floyd, Floyd was in distress, said as much and Chauvin kept his fat knee on his neck anyway until he died. That is just ****** policing at the very least. No way he should just walk.

All of that said, and no matter what you think of Chauvin or the case in general, there is no way he gets a fair trial. Every juror seated is going to convict the guy and it's going to take about 10 minutes. I mean, the guy should be punished, but did he actually murder George Floyd? I don't know. Floyd was high on fentanyl and meth at the time of his death, and that could have contributed. The medical examiners report also showed no signs of asphyxia, so there's that. So if he didn't asphyxiate from the knee and was high on drugs that can kill you, I'm not sure an unbiased jury convicts for murder. Chauvin is guilty of a number of things, but I'm not sure murder is one of those things. Manslaughter? Easily. But 2nd degree murder? I'm not so sure.

In an unbiased case, I think Ellison overcharged and overcharged on purpose. But with the state of race relations in this country and everybody being racist for being alive, I see no way they don't convict. No one wants their city to burn, and no one wants to be labeled a racist or white supremacist. People are more afraid of that label than a whole lot of things. So IMHO, it's a done deal. Chauvin will be convicted of second degree murder and sentenced to 40 years, which is the max on the charge.

Look, George Floyd shouldn't have died that way. No with a cop's knee on his neck pinning him to the ground. If they cuff him and put him in the car, and he dies, ok. I mean, that's bad, but holy ****, you didn't pin a man to the ground with your knee on his neck and hold him there while he pleaded for help and died while you had your knee on his neck. That's bad no matter what the guy did.

It's a ****** up case, for sure. Gonna be interesting to see what happens. Many businesses in Minneapolis have already boarded up in anticipation of the riots that will surely ensue if there is anything less than a conviction for 2nd degree murder. Sad that people with no involvement whatsoever have to take such measures, but this is the brave new world we live in.

What do you guys think? Does he get convicted of 2nd degree murder? Does he deserve it?
2nd Degree murder isn't the only charge on the table. There is also 3rd degree murder and 2nd degree manslaughter that are also in the list of charges against Chauvin. So, they can find him guilty of 3rd degree, which in MN is "without intent" or 2nd degree manslaughter. They don't have to find him guilty of 2nd degree murder.

I know some want to jump all over the drugs in his system, but the couple of MEs that reported said that the knee on the neck exacerbated everything and contributed to his death. Sure, he broke the law, that still doesn't mean that the cops should have pulled him out of the car that he was already in and laid him on the ground on his stomach and kneeled on his neck for 9 min. stating he was resisting. He kept his knee there even after he went unconcious. I don't know how anyone can excuse that. They even waited to render aid to him.

2nd Degree murder isn't the only charge on the table. There is also 3rd degree murder and 2nd degree manslaughter that are also in the list of charges against Chauvin. So, they can find him guilty of 3rd degree, which in MN is "without intent" or 2nd degree manslaughter. They don't have to find him guilty of 2nd degree murder.

I know some want to jump all over the drugs in his system, but the couple of MEs that reported said that the knee on the neck exacerbated everything and contributed to his death. Sure, he broke the law, that still doesn't mean that the cops should have pulled him out of the car that he was already in and laid him on the ground on his stomach and kneeled on his neck for 9 min. stating he was resisting. He kept his knee there even after he went unconcious. I don't know how anyone can excuse that. They even waited to render aid to him.
Do you honestly think that people will be satisfied with anything less than a 2nd degree murder conviction? I don't think what he did rises to the level of the 2nd degree murder charge, but I think anything less and Minneapolis burns. It's a tough case. If they just treat the guy like a human being, none of this is happening right now.

I can't get past the knee on the neck, even after he passes out. I'm fully behind the cops, but this was excessive whether he was black, white, Japanese, Mexican, etc. Too many cops stood by and watch this happen and the guy laid there unconscious. Sarge makes a lot of good points that I agree with. Cities will burn regardless of the verdict. If he was brought to his feet after handcuffed, maybe none of the **** happens of the past year. Does he die because of other reasons? Maybe. To die in police custody, on the street while the whole world could watch it is not a good look and the cop will be convicted. The question is, to what extent?

Last edited:
I'm sorry....I can't get past watching that knee on the neck for almost 10 minutes. There was no need for it. The last 3-4 minutes he wasn't even moving, was cuffed and not fighting. Inexcusable. I don't care if he was drugged, that knee compounded the situation and was not close to being necessary.

There's no way Chauvan gets a fair trial, he simply can't with the coverage the media has given this. Did he contribute to Floyd's death, I don't think there is any question about that. Did he act with the purpose of killing him, probably not, but Floyd did die, and unless he is tared and feathered before being hung, cities in this country will burn with the media cheering them on.

Do you honestly think that people will be satisfied with anything less than a 2nd degree murder conviction? I don't think what he did rises to the level of the 2nd degree murder charge, but I think anything less and Minneapolis burns. It's a tough case. If they just treat the guy like a human being, none of this is happening right now.
No, I don't think people will be satisfied with less than 2nd degree, but mostly those that don't understand how these charges are defined and you can't just go beyond that because you feel that it should be that way. I agree that it doesn't fit 2nd degree murder by definition, I do feel that it does fit 3rd degree though. I don't think he had intent to murder, but his actions were what led to his death. Of course, I'm not in Chauvin's head to know what his intent was, but i do believe the intent wasn't there.

You are correct, if he had just treated him like a human being he wouldn't be in the position he is in now, and there more than likely wouldn't be a lot of the mess that occurred after.

I heard Floyd was a proponent of injecting bleach to kill the ‘rona & that there was so much bleach in his system that he had actually died two days before trying to pass the fake $20

I think cops should kill everyone except for me & my friends

Again, I read that he had meth, fentanyl and weed in his system. I didn’t read that it was enough to kill a horse or a person for that matter.

Floyd had a relatively significant amount of Fentanyl in his system, to the degree it apparently interfered with his breathing while he was being arrested.

Handwritten notes of a law enforcement interview with Dr. Andrew Baker, the Hennepin County Medical Examiner, say Floyd had 11 ng/mL of fentanyl in his system.

"If he were found dead at home alone and no other apparent causes, this could be acceptable to call an OD. Deaths have been certified with levels of 3," Baker told investigators.

In another new document, Baker said, "That is a fatal level of fentanyl under normal circumstances." But then Baker added, "I am not saying this killed him."

The problem Chauvin has - apart from the obvious optics - is that his decision not to do anything to address Floyd's respiratory problems. His behavior is likely negligent homicide, or involuntary manslaughter. If I have a duty to intervene and provide help - as police officers do - and I see someone in distress and fail to do anything, or even worse make the circumstances more dangerous, I have committed involuntary manslaughter.

I doubt the prosecution has enough evidence to show intent to kill, which is a requirement for second degree murder.

Minnesota law prohibits intentional and unintentional killings under most circumstances. Those killings prohibited as second-degree murder include:
  • Killing a human intentionally, but without premeditation (not thinking about or preparing for before)
  • Killing a human while committing or attempting a drive-by shooting
  • Causing someone’s death without intending the death of anyone, while committing a felony other than criminal sexual conduct (rape or sexual assault which would be first-degree murder) or a drive-by shooting
  • Causing a death unintentionally, while intentionally inflicting or attempting to inflict great physical harm on the victim when the murderer is currently restrained by a protection order (including for domestic violence, harassment, divorce, or any similar protection order) and the victim was the protected party in that order

Doing something stupid or negligent is not the same as intent to kill.

One thing is certain, if they do find Chauvin guilty, it would be more merciful to walk him directly from court into a lethal injection chamber. If they put him in a federal prison he'll be beaten to death within a week.

Would be kinder and more cathartic for the enraged if they just executed him on live television.

Its a culture of no one can tell me what to do. No respect for authority.
Buster,I get the feeling we grew up in the same era. While I agree with what you’re saying from the past,I don’t think it is the reality in today’s time. When I got pulled over it was always yes sir no sir. Even if I didn’t mean it.

But thinking about it today’s Authority has changed. The respect for it has changed. All for one damn good reason. It’s called cell phone video recording. The amount of **** that these so called “ people in authority “ have gotten away with is finally being shown to the watchful world.

From politicians to your local police force it’s time some of these bullshit hypocrites go down.
The amount of police brutality on YouTube or other streaming mechanisms are frigging frightening. And as usual you can read about it, bury your head in sand about it, but when it happens to someone you know or it’s broadcast worldwide you start to really take notice.

In my day the amount of rumours of people being picked up taken down to our local deserted ferry slip and taught a lesson of respect by our dear men in blue happened all the time.

With 4 kids, all of whom have turned out great,I listen to their comments about our dear “authorities “. Sometimes it shocks me, about how little respect they have. But then I realize that they are of the generation of YouTube. They see all the **** that goes down. It’s not pretty.

Now I know it’s not an easy job. The **** they see on a weekly basis I will never see in my lifetime. Having some drugged out meth freak coming at you full on would not be pleasant. Investigating brutal murders,children being abused,domestic beating, horrible.

I hate to say it, that’s part of their job. Any officer going through the academy would realize this. Is all this police brutality,covering up, lying for each other and so on part of their job too? And no,I don’t paint all of the police with a broad brush. It’s just staggering how many break the laws, that their job is to enforce.

How many thousands upon thousands of crimes have police forces got away with before cell phone coverage, being forced to wear cameras?i am sure it’s shocking.