• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

DRAFT 2018 - Quarterback Reports (Pre Combine)

deljzc

Reaction score
QUARTERBACKS

Sam Darnold*, USC (6030, 220#, 4.75, ??? 3-cone) - Pre Combine

Solid athlete and size for position. Thick enough through the middle. Has a tendency to leave the pocket a bit earlier than necessary. Does not climb pocket very well (often scrambles backwards). Once off his spot can be a little dangerous with his decision making. When in rhythm and making his first or second read is a solid prospect. Nice zip on ball and no issues throwing outside the hash marks even on deep outs. Like a lot of quarterbacks these days looks like he was strongly coached at a young age and is a bit robotic. Spiral isn’t as tight as you’d like and can cause tough catches on shorter routes/slants. Overall he’s a solid round 1 prospect because there’s a lot to work with from a coaching perspective. His errors as the windows get tighter and inside the red zone are concerning.
Round 1
NFL Comparison: Matt Stafford
Two-year starter (24 starts, 20-4), 34.3 att/game, 65% thrower, 55-21 TD-INT

Mason Rudolf, Oklahoma State (6040, 230#, 4.85, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
Very impressed with tape. While nothing stands out as A+ attributes, he consistently finds ways to make first downs and drive his team for points. Great instincts for the positions and commands/leads team (true senior with three starts as freshman and 42 starts overall). Takes hits to make plays and is not afraid of small windows. Understands how to make progressive reads. What you see might be all you get and might have limited ceiling because of athletic constraints but I think he can be successful with decent talent around him. I think coaches will like him and could go higher than people think. Round 1-2
NFL Comparison: Eli Manning
42 Starts, 32-10 record, 35.2 att/game, 63.2% thrower, 92-26 TD-INT, 9.4 YPA

Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma (6000, 220#, 4.65, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
A bit undersized but good, stocky build through his core. Nice, compact, quick delivery. Does not need to be fully set in the lower body to deliver ball and sometimes his lower-half fundamentals are iffy. Can improvise. A bit cocky and likes to be “the man”. Not a great rushing athlete (only 2.7 YPC) but still ran for 21 TD’s in career (selfishness?). Oklahoma’s system generates a lot of big windows for him to throw into and hard to judge accuracy from film. Lots of run/pass options. Reminds me a bit of a Russell Wilson/Drew Brees hybrid. His intangibles will matter on how he can lead a team (showboated a bit in college and lacked maturity at times) but if he connects with teammates and wins a few games, could turn out okay. Round 1-2
NFL Comparison: Russell Wilson/Drew Brees
48 starts, 39-9 record, 31.2 att/game, 68.5% thrower, 131-30 TD-INT, 9.75 YPA, Transferred after FR season

Josh Rosen*, UCLA (6040, 215#, 5.00, ??? 3-cone) - Pre Combine

Throws one of the best long balls I’ve scouted. Really can drop it in bucket 40-50 yards downfield. Very good arm strength. Shorter passes come out nose pointed down and lack tight spiral. Very limited in mobility (wears knee brace on front leg) and once he’s off his spot does not offer much in play saving ability. Reminds me a lot of Joe Flacco and if developed to be too conservative or scared of turnovers could really limit his plus attributes. Could be a one-trick pony and if/once eye-level falls will be very mediocre. Round 1-2
NFL Comparison: Joe Flacco
30 starts, 17-13 record, 39 att/game, 60.9% thrower, 59-26 TD-INT, 8.0 YPA, Injured 2016 (throwing shoulder)

Josh Allen*, Wyoming (6050, 237#, 4.75, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
Big and tall who prefers a very wide base/platform to throw from. Did lots of run/pass options (9.4 rush attempts per game) but not sure his limited athleticism will allow that at next level. Was more a power runner in RPO/wildcat plays and is a long strider with not a lot of twitch. Very good arm with plenty of juice but has a tad of a windup delivery. Accuracy can waver when off his spot and can overthrow at times (too much heat on screens, rising fastballs, etc.). Reminds me very much of a slightly better Deshone Kizer from last season but is slightly older and will be a little more ready for the NFL. Round 2
NFL Comparison: Deshone Kiser
25 Starts, 16-9 record, 25.7 att/game, 56.2% thrower, 44-21 TD-INT, 7.8 YPA

Mike White, Western Kentucky (6030, 215#, 4.90, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
Only have 2016 tape to watch vs. Memphis. Struggled as true freshman/sophomore at South Florida and transferred. Much improved as a redshirt junior/senior. Has a very live arm that is NFL quality. Calm demeanor on field and is not hyper in his movements. Reminds me a lot of Jimmy Garoppolo and would not surprise me at all if Belichick pulls the trigger on this kid in round 2. Despite being older prospect still needs a bit of work to get used to NFL speed but the tools are there in the right situation. Round 3
NFL Comparison: Jimmy Garoppolo
2-year Starter at WK after dismal FR/SO seasons at South Florida, 27 WK Starts, 17-10 record, 36 att/game, 66.4% thrower, 8.75 YPA

Lamar Jackson*, Louisville (6020, 210#, 4.40, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
Very twitchy athlete (even his throwing motion is twitchy). Superior running threat from the run-pass options. Can explode into secondary once the DE makes his decision and gains yards in chunks. His passing game looks to set up his running game not vice versa and is only there to keep teams honest. Arm is very limited and not naturally accurate. Needs wide open receivers on limited reads and route trees. Displays good arm strength and has a whippy, compact arm action with narrow platform (phone booth thrower). Very easy to compare him to Michael Vick but Vick was a more slippery athlete and had a more electric, explosive arm. A team might see comparisons to Deshaun Watson from last year and will overdraft him (Watson is a more natural leader/film geek). Best comparison might be RGIII because their throwing motions are so similar and teams will have to simplify their playbook and exploit/expose/use his running ability to be successful. One big injury might shut it all down. Round 3
NFL Comparison: Robert Griffin III
36 Starts, 23-13 record, 30.1 att/game, 57% thrower, 69-27 TD-INT, 8.3 YPA, 18 rushes/game, 50 rushing TD’s

Luke Faulk, Washington St. (6030, 220#, 4.90, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
Throws an extremely pretty ball - tight, consistent spiral. When first read is there and he drops, plants and throws in rhythm he looks like a very solid prospect. Once he starts into his progressions or the play breaks down he is very careless with the ball. Does not feel openings in zones and is a see-it, throw-it guy once the first read isn’t there. Can be baited by good CB’s and NFL caliber speed. Always in shotgun and pass-heavy offense. Had tough games vs. Washington in career (0-3). He’s an older, experienced prospect so what you see might be what you get, but he has an NFL arm and that will get him drafted. Potential backup like a Nick Foles, Chase Daniels or Landry Jones type. Round 5
NFL Comparison: Landry Jones
3½ year starter, 41 games, 27-14 record, 50 att/game, 68.3% thrower, 119-39 TD-INT, 7.1 YPA.

Kurt Benkert, Virginia (6030, 215#, 4.90, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
Transferred from East Carolina before Jr. year. Has a legit fastball/cannon of an arm and often throws everything even 10 yards downfield really hard. Has erratic footwork and often steps out of his throws with open shoulders (Tannehill and Rivers often do this) that leads to accuracy issues. Tale of two players because I see some exceptional stuff on tapes against Boise St. and Miami but his tape against Navy was terrible. Will temp the egotistical coaches who think he can mold a winner but the tape shows a very erratic player that has a long way to go to be NFL ready. Round 5-6
NFL Comparison: Ryan Tannehill
24 games, 8-16 record, 38 att/game, 57.5% thrower, 46-20 TD-INT, 6.8 YPA

Kyle Lauletta, Richmond (6030, 215#, 4.90, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
Small-school, gunslinger type prospect with average NFL arm. Confident, jock-type (good looking, successful, has-it-all) that could transition and follow maybe the Tony Romo type path in the NFL of late round prospect into NFL starter. Not quite the athlete Romo was/is but there could be that type of arm accuracy buried with a little NFL coaching. Not a very thick athlete and looks small on film. I have concerns with durability as a starter. Throws well on the run and projects into a Case Keenum/Tony Romo style of anticipation thrower and gunslinger/point guard type. MVP of Senior Bowl. Round 6-7
36 Starts. 24-12 record, 32.5 att/game, 63.5% thrower, 8.8 YPA

J.T. Barrett, Ohio State (6010, 220#, 4.60, ?? 3-cone) - Pre Combine
A primarily RPO, quarterback/athlete prospect. Despite lack of height is thick through the middle and might be able to hold up to the pounding of a running QB in the NFL. Arm is actually pretty decent and spins a nice ball. Decent release off shoulder. Limited in ability to read pre-snap coverages and progress through targets. Is a high/low read QB right now with a lot of throws into big windows. He’s an interesting prospect if a team wanted to re-invest into a Wildcat type system because he is ideal for that at the next level. Could have short-term success like Taylor or Prescott until defenses figure him out. Otherwise, I’m skeptical he can be a long-term pocket passer and evolve into a prototypical NFL QB. Round 6-7
NFL Comparison: Tyrod Taylor
50 games (some as sub), 24.2 att/game, 63.5% thrower, 104-30 TD-INT, 7.8 YPA, 13 for 65 rush ave. w/ 43 TD’s

Nice Del.....White may move up with a great combine....

Question....If Allen falls to your lap in the second...you pull the trigger? Yeah he isn't polished, but get him a QB coach to clean up his inconsistencies....could be special.

Rudolf I like, but I doubt he would be there at 28 come the pick....

Supe may ban you for not mentioning the Memphis dude.

I don't want a QB who has a bunch of rushes per game. There may be instances where is supporting staff just sucked and after a deliberate reading of the D and the routes, he decided to run and that happened a lot. More often than not, to me, they look at one read then run. I don't think that works long in the NFL. If it does, it is the exception, rather than the rule.

I want a guy who is a QB first and, if it he has to run, he can do it quickly and intelligently to avoid hits.

Hey Del how about the QB from Marshall Litton

Deljzc,

You think Allen is a round two pick?? Not a chance, he did well at the senior bowl showing elite level arm and size with good mobility.

I think Allen is a top 15 pick and could go in the top 8.

Darnold could be boom or bust. His ball security is very bad ( fumbles ), and he think's he' Brett Farve, but he's not that accurate. He'll go in round one, but his best fit would be with WR's or TE's who have good catch radius and a lot of height. He will go in round one for sure.

I'm with you on Mason Rudolph. The only thing is the defenses he played against were not very good. I see him as an excellent round two pick for teams that need QB's. I like his size, accuracy football IQ ( He's the sharpest of the bunch ). His arm to me seems fine.

I can't see Rosen going in round two. He's got a very advanced set of passing skills and looks like Peyton Manning on some throws. Also, he brought his team back from behind and isn't working with a good OL or WR's. His accuracy on the medium length passes is very good, and he has a rare arm with velocity on the ball to accurately put in in tight windows between players, a very sought after trait in the NFL! The issue with Rosen is the injury concern. I think he'll run better than what you projected. He's a sneaky good athlete. If he goes to a team with a good OL, I think he will shine. The Browns or Giants will likely take him, if not he won't last past the Jets.

With Ben saying he'll be back and likely to play 2-3 more years, the focus on when to pick a QB high to me is 2019 or 2020. We can win it all now...

Deljzc,

You think Allen is a round two pick?? Not a chance, he did well at the senior bowl showing elite level arm and size with good mobility.

I think Allen is a top 15 pick and could go in the top 8.

Darnold could be boom or bust. His ball security is very bad ( fumbles ), and he think's he' Brett Farve, but he's not that accurate. He'll go in round one, but his best fit would be with WR's or TE's who have good catch radius and a lot of height. He will go in round one for sure.

I'm with you on Mason Rudolph. The only thing is the defenses he played against were not very good. I see him as an excellent round two pick for teams that need QB's. I like his size, accuracy football IQ ( He's the sharpest of the bunch ). His arm to me seems fine.

I can't see Rosen going in round two. He's got a very advanced set of passing skills and looks like Peyton Manning on some throws. Also, he brought his team back from behind and isn't working with a good OL or WR's. His accuracy on the medium length passes is very good, and he has a rare arm with velocity on the ball to accurately put in in tight windows between players, a very sought after trait in the NFL! The issue with Rosen is the injury concern. I think he'll run better than what you projected. He's a sneaky good athlete. If he goes to a team with a good OL, I think he will shine. The Browns or Giants will likely take him, if not he won't last past the Jets.

With Ben saying he'll be back and likely to play 2-3 more years, the focus on when to pick a QB high to me is 2019 or 2020. We can win it all now...

out of curiosity Coach what are you basing your evaluation on?

My "round grade" on Quarterbacks is very rarely an accurate prediction of where they get drafted because teams reach hard on quarterback talent if they need the position.

I am not high on this position this year as far as "franchise guys" like some of the initial mock drafts are predicting (2-3 guys taken in the top-10).

I'll be honest, this class reminds me a lot more of 2014 and 2015 (Bridgewater, Bortles, Carr, Manziel, Winston, Mariotta) than it does 2016 and 2017. It's harder this year to really "see it" on who is going to be the cream that rises to the top of this class. There's some risk if you are stuck needing a QB.

I think Wentz, Goff and Trabinski are all better prospects than anyone in this class. And with the way Watson came in and lit it up for Houston (which surprised me), he's probably a lot better too.

This is a "deep class" in the fact the best guy might be the 5th or 6th guy I listed but I'm not sure that would make me feel any better as a GM and my job is on the line.

With nothing other than what you have above, i would be fine with Rudolf. I maintain that the QB doesn't have to be "elite" to get you to the SB.

You need a QB that does not **** up that often and who is well enough above average to do the things you say he can do. Make progressive reads. Stand in the pocket and take the hit to make a throw, if needed. Be able to throw into a tight window and move the chains. If he can add a few lbs to make the hits easier to take, all the better.

out of curiosity Coach what are you basing your evaluation on?

Slashsteel,

I evaluate the following in order of importance.

1 ) Most important - My watching game films, the senior bowl practices, and youtube clips. You can pick up a lot, even on highlight films if you know what you are looking for. Does he fit your system and complement the players on the roster, or is he a great square peg type that won't be used properly in our system? When Ben had that bad game vs. the Jaguars and speculation loomed if he would retire, I began to watch the QB draft class of 2018 seriously!

As of right now, I do not want a QB in round one. Round two, okay if the right guy is there.

2 ) Pro day / combine workouts / medical / character reports / wonderlic score. Character reports and the Wonderlic score to me matter more at Quarterback. Yes, I'm a football junkie who DVR's the combine. How they look in the football drills matters to me. The 40, 20-yard shuttle, are essential, how high a QB leaps to me is hardly important. I like to hand the size to at least be 9," and the Wonderlic for QB's should be 20 or better, ideally over 25. Size, 6'2" or taller and at least 210 pounds without a slight build that looks like he's going to get hurt.

3 ) Statistical data, where I can see the break down it down by game. Did Prospect XYZ only play well vs. bad for opposing defenses, or did he prove something vs. the better competition?
I'm not a fan of accuracy under 60% or too many turnovers. System QB's that dink and dunk are downgraded unless they show a very good arm. I recommend this web site for college stats. Just type in a player's name.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/

4 ) The triangulation of what other people say, such as Mike Mayock who I feel is about as good as they come in the media business. Walter Cherepinsky is decent at Walter football and gets info from pro scouts. Sometimes he and I chat. More often than not, I use the media for my starting point I use before my evaluations.

5 ) Sometimes the total amount of games played. One year wonder types!

Last edited:
My "round grade" on Quarterbacks is very rarely an accurate prediction of where they get drafted because teams reach hard on quarterback talent if they need the position.

I am not high on this position this year as far as "franchise guys" like some of the initial mock drafts are predicting (2-3 guys taken in the top-10).

I'll be honest, this class reminds me a lot more of 2014 and 2015 (Bridgewater, Bortles, Carr, Manziel, Winston, Mariotta) than it does 2016 and 2017. It's harder this year to really "see it" on who is going to be the cream that rises to the top of this class. There's some risk if you are stuck needing a QB.

I think Wentz, Goff and Trabinski are all better prospects than anyone in this class. And with the way Watson came in and lit it up for Houston (which surprised me), he's probably a lot better too.

This is a "deep class" in the fact the best guy might be the 5th or 6th guy I listed but I'm not sure that would make me feel any better as a GM and my job is on the line.

I agree with your points, however I would say this QB class has better upside than most. If Darnold or Allen put it all together, you've got something special. I think Goff wasn't as good as Rosen is/was in college.

Trubisky didn't have a lot of games played, the Bears GM had a big pair drafting him #2 overall.

I set the over / under on QB's taken in round one at 4 1/2. You could see as many as six in round one.

The best move? Obtaining Jimmy Garoppolo for aa 2nd round pick. The 49ers are 5-0 with him. Jimmy can play.

Last edited:
Slashsteel,

I evaluate the following in order of importance.

1 ) Most important - My watching game films, the senior bowl practices, and youtube clips. You can pick up a lot, even on highlight films if you know what you are looking for. Does he fit your system and complement the players on the roster, or is he a great square peg type that won't be used properly in our system? When Ben had that bad game vs. the Jaguars and speculation loomed if he would retire, I began to watch the QB draft class of 2018 seriously!

As of right now, I do not want a QB in round one. Round two, okay if the right guy is there.

2 ) Pro day / combine workouts / medical / character reports / wonderlic score. Character reports and the Wonderlic score to me matter more at Quarterback. Yes, I'm a football junkie who DVR's the combine. How they look in the football drills matters to me. The 40, 20-yard shuttle, are essential, how high a QB leaps to me is hardly important. I like to hand the size to at least be 9," and the Wonderlic for QB's should be 20 or better, ideally over 25. Size, 6'2" or taller and at least 210 pounds without a slight build that looks like he's going to get hurt.

3 ) Statistical data, where I can see the break down it down by game. Did Prospect XYZ only play well vs. bad for opposing defenses, or did he prove something vs. the better competition?
I'm not a fan of accuracy under 60% or too many turnovers. System QB's that dink and dunk are downgraded unless they show a very good arm. I recommend this web site for college stats. Just type in a player's name.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/

4 ) The triangulation of what other people say, such as Mike Mayock who I feel is about as good as they come in the media business. Walter Cherepinsky is decent at Walter football and gets info from pro scouts. Sometimes he and I chat. More often than not, I use the media for my starting point I use before my evaluations.

5 ) Sometimes the total amount of games played. One year wonder types!
Game tapes always should be front and center.Your starting and ending points. I read everything those sites and newsstands say. But nothing beats watching game footage. Reason I mentioned this was to make sure you weren't taking someone else's opinion and make it your own. As stats only show a small picture. I also agree that QBs tend to go earlier than what people percieve. And now with rookie contracts structured teams go for need even moreso.As there isn't as much money tied up as there once was.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Last edited:
Del I look forward to your ILber and S eval. Already digging into game tapes but just skimmed over S.

With nothing other than what you have above, i would be fine with Rudolf. I maintain that the QB doesn't have to be "elite" to get you to the SB.

You need a QB that does not **** up that often and who is well enough above average to do the things you say he can do. Make progressive reads. Stand in the pocket and take the hit to make a throw, if needed. Be able to throw into a tight window and move the chains. If he can add a few lbs to make the hits easier to take, all the better.

It has been many years since Flacco won a super bowl, and he had an elite defense around him and a weaker team to beat. Even coach Brian Billick, who I really like on the radio admitted the 2000 ravens would NOT win the super bowl today.

Foles played like an elite QB the entire playoffs, otherwise the Eagles had no chance to win the super bowl. So I do think you need a top 10 type of QB to win a super bowl, say 9 out of ten years in the decade.

It has been many years since Flacco won a super bowl, and he had an elite defense around him and a weaker team to beat. Even coach Brian Billick, who I really like on the radio admitted the 2000 ravens would NOT win the super bowl today.

Foles played like an elite QB the entire playoffs, otherwise the Eagles had no chance to win the super bowl. So I do think you need a top 10 type of QB to win a super bowl, say 9 out of ten years in the decade.

I think Foles threw 1 int in the playoffs. Prior to this year, he hasnt been/done much. It might be the system there or something finally clicked for him. He did, indeed, make some very nice throws i wouldnt have expected from him.

However, that, still, doesn't mean you need an elite QB. You neex one that doesnt **** up.

Nice Del.....White may move up with a great combine....

Question....If Allen falls to your lap in the second...you pull the trigger? Yeah he isn't polished, but get him a QB coach to clean up his inconsistencies....could be special.

I would.

I think Foles threw 1 int in the playoffs. Prior to this year, he hasnt been/done much. It might be the system there or something finally clicked for him. He did, indeed, make some very nice throws i wouldnt have expected from him.

However, that, still, doesn't mean you need an elite QB. You neex one that doesnt **** up.

Nine-time out of ten, history shows you do need an elite level Qb to win the Superbowl, and Foles during his three playoff games was elite.

For the 2017 playoffs, Foles was 3-0, completing 72.6 percent of his passes. He threw six touchdowns and had one interception with a Passer rating of 115.7

He also caught a touchdown pass, and beat perhaps the greatest NFL QB of all time in a game where the offense needed to score a lot of points.

Now that's elite.

Del I look forward to your ILber and S eval. Already digging into game tapes but just skimmed over S.

Unfortunately, we might need to reach a bit to take a safety in round one, and there are quite a few with second-round grades that could be gone before our #60 overall pick in round two.

Ronnie Harrison is worth it for us in round one, but he won't be there so cross him off the list. I am very interested in Terrell Edmunds ( round two ), as he can play SS or LB in the nickel. We'll see how he works out. If Edmunds runs well, the chances of getting him in round two decrease.

Cutting Mitchell will be addition by subtraction. Singing a free agent safety in the offseason could be the best move, then we can go BPA on another safety in round two or three without worrying about addressing the need.

Nine-time out of ten, history shows you do need an elite level Qb to win the Superbowl, and Foles during his three playoff games was elite.

For the 2017 playoffs, Foles was 3-0, completing 72.6 percent of his passes. He threw six touchdowns and had one interception with a Passer rating of 115.7

He also caught a touchdown pass, and beat perhaps the greatest NFL QB of all time in a game where the offense needed to score a lot of points.

Now that's elite.

Playing Elite, even in the stretch of a few games, and BEING and Elite QB are far and away different things. That statement does not take away anything from what he accomplished, but I don't know if anyone has ever though of Foles and an Elite QB.

Playing Elite, even in the stretch of a few games, and BEING and Elite QB are far and away different things. That statement does not take away anything from what he accomplished, but I don't know if anyone has ever though of Foles and an Elite QB.

Correct...Joe Flacco says hi. Someone just asked on FB who is better Wentz or Foles. I replied Wentz and its not close.

Correct...Joe Flacco says hi. Someone just asked on FB who is better Wentz or Foles. I replied Wentz and its not close.

One other things. We are only 5 years removed from Joe Flacco being the Super Bowl MVP. His QB opponent? Kapernick. 10 years ago, Peyton Manning outdueled the great Rex Grossman. Final score was 29-17 and, stop me if you heard this one, Rex threw 2 INT's, one for a TD. one other TD for CHI came from a KR (or PR).

Eli won two SB. Anyone consider him Elite?

One other things. We are only 5 years removed from Joe Flacco being the Super Bowl MVP. His QB opponent? Kapernick. 10 years ago, Peyton Manning outdueled the great Rex Grossman. Final score was 29-17 and, stop me if you heard this one, Rex threw 2 INT's, one for a TD. one other TD for CHI came from a KR (or PR).

Eli won two SB. Anyone consider him Elite?

If Eli isnt, I'd say he's darn close

With the current Eagles Offensive line he sure played like an elite type of player. It is possible he just never got a good chance, and developed his game over time into very accurate type of passer that limits mistakes and throws for a lot of yards with just an okay cast of WR's around him.

QB's make their bones in the playoffs and I'll match what Foles did vs. just about anyone in the playoffs for the past 5 years. One playoff game, perhaps a fluke. Three games in a row in the playoffs, including the Super Bowl, not likely a fluke.

Wentz will likely get the job back, but he'd better do well quickly otherwise the fans will create a QB controversy.