• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Fighting Back II

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
extremely unlikely we will see a sequel but it is great to see him fighting hard each day...

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports...0190626-5twttbbvz5abxjra4joyyekpre-story.html

After Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier went down with a frightening spinal injury while attempting a routine tackle on Dec. 4, 2017, the first non-Steeler or doctor he can remember seeing was Jerome Howard. A former Plantation High football teammate and close friend, Howard is also his trainer.

“He told me, ‘Let’s pray. We’re going to get through this. If you need me, whatever you need me to do, I’m here for you, and I love you. You’re my brother,’ ” Shazier recalled recently.

Howard was there for Shazier at that harrowing time, when doctors were doubtful he would walk again. Howard has been there for him long before Shazier was a Pro Bowl selection or All-American at Ohio State. Howard continues to be by his side as, nearly 19 months after being diagnosed with a spinal contusion and undergoing spinal stabilization surgery, he pursues an NFL comeback.

“I actually had mixed emotions,” Howard said at a camp for Plantation High football players run by his training company, Dynamic Performance Development. The camp featured Shazier as a guest star. “Part of it, of course, was a devastating moment to see him go down that way, but then another part of it was ‘Who better than me to help him get back to where he was before?’ So part of it was a badge of honor that he chose me and wanted me to help him fight this battle.”

Shazier, 26, and Howard met as eighth-graders who began working out with Plantation football players the summer before beginning high school. Shazier instead enrolled at Blanche Ely to start. However, he transferred to Plantation for his sophomore year, and they were reunited. Shazier, who played defensive end in high school, went on to become a Buckeye linebacker, while Howard, a linebacker, ended up at Prairie View A&M.

They kept in contact during college, with Howard catching Shazier’s games when possible and the two getting together at home during breaks and holidays. Since he was always the one who would push his teammates in workouts, Howard became a professional trainer. So it was only natural for the two to work together.

Then the game in Cincinnati late in 2017 changed everything.

Initially told by doctors he had less than a 20 percent chance of walking again, Shazier surpassed that hurdle, famously walking across the stage on national TV at the NFL draft in April 2018. As he was able to resume working out, it has been Howard at his side, even traveling with Shazier, guiding him through a progression of workouts and providing moral support.

“With his injury being so different, the biggest thing for us was just understanding where he was in his current place, [reaching a] few milestones along the way and then celebrating every win,” said Howard, whom Shazier says is like family to him.

“With someone with a work ethic like Ryan’s, it’s not very hard. Anyone that’s met him understands his optimism, his positivity, and he’s never afraid to go above and beyond," Howard continued. "We had our tough moments. We had our ups and downs, but with our relationship together, we were able to be 100 percent honest with each other, reflect.”

Steve Davis, their football coach at Plantation, knows not to underestimate what the two could accomplish together in this comeback attempt.

“It’s not just a client-athlete relationship. It’s more so like a brotherhood between those two guys,” said Davis, who still coaches the Colonels. “Jerome deeply cares about Ryan and his success. When you look at those factors, he’s a perfect person to bring him from that injury that he had that night in Cincinnati to where he is today.”

Those tracking Shazier’s recovery have seen public milestones, such as his draft appearance or last October, when he walked onto the field at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati, where the injury occurred. He has posted workout progress on his Instagram account, showing he’s able to do different workouts such as deadlifts (lifting a barbell off the floor) and box jumps (a standing jump onto a high box or platform).

At the Dynamic Performance Development camp with Howard, Shazier demonstrated for campers the TRX row, a back-strengthening exercise where one pulls their body forward while holding on to straps attached diagonally to an overhead pull-up bar. Shazier said he has been able to do the TRX row for some time now.

“I try to be appreciative of every day I get,” Shazier said. “Because every day I’m beating the odds. Every day I’m getting better, proving people wrong that never thought I’d be where I am. I constantly am proud of where I’m at. There are some moments that people see that are a little bigger than others. I set goals, but every day that I take another step, take another breath, I’m truly thankful and praise God for that.

“I have a lot of little moments like that to myself and my family, but my goals may be different from a lot of people’s goals. People might see me walking on the stage and be thinking, ‘Man, that’s an amazing goal. I know he’s been trying to achieve that.’ But at the end of the day, I can be trying to achieve something entirely different.”

While a comeback won’t happen during the 2019 season, since the Steelers have him on the physically unable to perform list, Shazier’s ultimate goals remain unchanged from what they were before his injury.

[Popular in Sports] Elite Virginia Tech transfer center Kerry Blackshear commits to Gators »
“I still want to make the Hall of Fame, still want to be the best linebacker in the NFL,” he said. “I’m not giving up on my goals, and the doctors said don’t give up on my goals, so there’s no problem with me doing that. I’m just going to keep working, and hopefully I’m going to be back as soon as I can.”

Howard’s recent camp took players through a day of conditioning, strength training and football drills split up by position. There was also an educational seminar, involving a number of Plantation football alumni who have gone on to careers in a variety of professions. Howard hopes to expand the camp in coming years and open it beyond Plantation football players.

“It’s amazing because Ryan Shazier’s a Plantation High alum, and just [for campers] to see someone that has played in that same jersey as you, on the same practice field and even with the same coach that they have now, just seeing all those things kind of motivates them and just inspires them,” said Howard, who also is coming out with his own book.

Beyond Howard, Shazier is thankful for the support his family has provided, the work of several doctors, the Steelers’ organization for sticking with him and the city of Pittsburgh. The Steelers have tolled Shazier’s contract for 2019, meaning he remains on the roster as he recovers and is on the PUP list and is paid a salary commensurate with his years of service in the NFL. He continues to accrue seasons toward his NFL players’ pension, and his medical insurance remains the same coverage that all active NFL players receive.

As Shazier rehabs, the Steelers drafted another Broward County high school linebacker who played in the Big Ten in college, using a first-round pick on Flanagan and Michigan alum Devin Bush Jr. Shazier said he has been in contact with Bush and that he looks forward to mentoring him.

Of course, Shazier knows how important it can be to get a helping hand -- especially the one of his friend and trainer, Howard.

[Popular in Sports] Heat summer roster to feature Herro, Mourning (and eventually Okpala?) »
“Just to have him in my circle all the way through, it really means a lot, and just to know that he’s always been my brother, it feels even better.”

Great topic, thanks for sharing. I'm torn as Ryan shazier clearly wants to be in the Hall of Fame and be the best linebacker in the NFL. That's his dream. That's what he's been busting his *** for for the last year-and-a-half. Who are we to say he shouldn't do it because of the possibility something terrible may happen again.

This guy has a very clear goal and he's working his *** towards getting to it, and even though I would think just living a normal life with his family should be enough, he obviously wants more. **** it, I say go for it then Ryan.

I've said in the past and I'll say it again. I'm all for Ryan controlling his own destiny. I just hope he gets informed enough to make the right decision and doesn't follow stubburness type decision.

Salute the nation

I don't understand anyone here acting like they know more about what he is capable than he does. I am certain that his doctors know orders of magnitudes more about his condition than anyone on this board.

Shazier: Doc, I think we can take my PT to the next level
Doc: Ryan, the guys on the message board are really concerned
Shazier: They're right.
Doc: Ryan, I'm a recognized neurowhatever expert.
Shazier: Yeah, but these guys are really opinionated.
Doc: OK, just learn to live with the limitations these losers put on you

I don't understand anyone here acting like they know more about what he is capable than he does. I am certain that his doctors know orders of magnitudes more about his condition than anyone on this board.

Shazier: Doc, I think we can take my PT to the next level
Doc: Ryan, the guys on the message board are really concerned
Shazier: They're right.
Doc: Ryan, I'm a recognized neurowhatever expert.
Shazier: Yeah, but these guys are really opinionated.
Doc: OK, just learn to live with the limitations these losers put on you

I don't think anyone who has posted in this thread has said he shouldn't try to do whatever he thinks he can do. We have said it may be a longshot, but I think all of us who have posted in this thread are cheering for him and hope he makes it back

I think in the process of fighting to achieve his goals it is better preparing him for life even if he doesn't get back to playing football. At least through the process he will learn his strengths and weaknesses. Regardless he has already won, he can walk after being told he has a slim chance to do so. Really continuous inspirational process that I wish him well . I feel for him, I wish him the best. Keep pushing Ryan we love you...

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Steeler Nation mobile app

If he gets back to 100% and is cleared by doctors, then by all means go for it if that's what he wants to do.

Of course I wish him the best. But isn't he still struggling just to walk? I'm just hoping he can recover enough to live a "normal" life as far as just being able to walk, etc. He seems like a tremendous person.

Great topic, thanks for sharing. I'm torn as Ryan shazier clearly wants to be in the Hall of Fame and be the best linebacker in the NFL. That's his dream. That's what he's been busting his *** for for the last year-and-a-half. Who are we to say he shouldn't do it because of the possibility something terrible may happen again.

This guy has a very clear goal and he's working his *** towards getting to it, and even though I would think just living a normal life with his family should be enough, he obviously wants more. **** it, I say go for it then Ryan.

I'd rather see him stay retired and keep making headlines off the field. If Shazier wants to give football another go, fine let him try as long as he understands if other people around him like the coaches and players he knows tell him your half the player you used to be STOP playing football and enjoy the rest of your life. I think the people around him would know if he can come back or not after a few practices. I don't think he can comeback to play, nor should he . Football isn't a contact sport, it's a collision sport that should not be played after a severe neck or spine injury especially at ILB or FB.

Best guess Shaizer lost a lot of speed, and if he were to come back would be understandably gun shy from heavy contact. The Steelers drafted Bush, and signed Barron.

Why would anybody on a message board opine on whether he should try to come back or not, or give their approval to his efforts, as if they know more about his situation than he does?

Why would anybody on a message board opine on whether he should try to come back or not, or give their approval to his efforts, as if they know more about his situation than he does?

I think you know the answer to that.

Gun shy from heavy contact? I now know you have never been in the military or even a fist fight. This dude trains every dam day to get back out there a bang!