• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Finally, progress over saving face.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
https://triblive.com/sports/mark-ma...offseason-choosing-progress-over-saving-face/

I've been griping over this for years: making decisions based on saving face/protecting ego vs. doing the right thing. Bouncing Kenny is finally a sign of the latter. Madden may annoy some of you but when he's right he's right and he is here.
The Steelers’ locker room had become loud and me-first. But the era of selfish idiocy initiated by Antonio Brown appears to be lifting. Coach Mike Tomlin wants “volunteers, not hostages.” But till recently, that was just babble.

Perhaps GM Omar Khan has grabbed the franchise’s reins from Tomlin, and about time. Maybe assistant GM Andy Weidl has acquired some pull in his two years on the job.

But it’s a new day and hopefully a better one.
As usual at Steeler Nation, this has taken way too long, but at least it finally has happened.

They traded Pickett because he asked for it, as did DJ... again this isnt some wholesale change in the way they operate... guys who dont want to be here are shipped out one way or another...

Madden is sports entertainment... he plays the sports heel and takes opinion stances solely to get reactions.. he is entertaining, but often his takes are extremely wrong. If things play out the way he predicts, he pushes how right he was... if they dont, he totally ignores what he said...

he also often has takes that change over time, and whichever side plays out he pimps how he was right..

He is not a Stan Savaran... he is the sportstalk equivalent of a wrestling heel announcer...

Take all of his opinions with a grain of salt🤣

They traded Pickett because he asked for it, as did DJ... again this isnt some wholesale change in the way they operate... guys who dont want to be here are shipped out one way or another...

Madden is sports entertainment... he plays the sports heel and takes opinion stances solely to get reactions.. he is entertaining, but often his takes are extremely wrong. If things play out the way he predicts, he pushes how right he was... if they dont, he totally ignores what he said...

he also often has takes that change over time, and whichever side plays out he pimps how he was right..

He is not a Stan Savaran... he is the sportstalk equivalent of a wrestling heel announcer...

So true, Mad. I have called him the Jerry Springer of sports talk. But, he hits home from time to time. Not often, but he does. I think he is right here, in that the reins needed to come out of Shades' hands. Not sure it has all the way maybe, but let's hope more.

Lets put this in perspective... all indications pointed to Pickett being on the roster until he bitched out... hell they let Russell Wilson leave the building without a contract because they weren't going to guarantee him a starters role and refused to offer anything of note to Chicago for Fields...

These are not moves you make when you are desperately trying to move on from a QB...

Wilson asked for first team reps in exchange for signing a sweetheart deal, kenny punkef out and they ditched him... then traded low for fields
there wasnt some great change of operation here .

If pickett hadnt been an entitled jerk, he probably still starts next year... I continue to think the narrative about the steelers really changing is more PR drivel from team lackey press buffoons...

I do not see progress in dumping a qb going into his 3rd year for nothing.
Maybe the Steelers need to invest in coaches that can understand the fragile personalities that they are drafting

I don't understand something. People whine and moan about the Steelers organization with the accusation that they don't give a damn what the fans think. At the same time, all they do is run around trying to save face. Wouldn't that indicate the Steelers DO care what the fans think? Which one is it?

I do not see progress in dumping a qb going into his 3rd year for nothing.
Maybe the Steelers need to invest in coaches that can understand the fragile personalities that they are drafting
Very true. They could always stop drafting such fragile personalities. If you can find a young person today without a fragile personality.

madden is a jackass

and twists facts to fit his agenda
He is an Olympic level jackass.

Patrick queen remains the sole majorly different transaction... but even with him:
he signed a long term deal for nearly five million less than he was expected to get possibly because we were willing to offer him his preferred ilb position and he apparently has a grudge against the Ravens...

Was he a splash add, absolutely, but we added a 24 year old second team all pro ufa. The other three guys who fit his age/accomplishment signed for 18,19,and 20 mil per.. he signed for 13.6. He was a bargain deal top 5 player at the position

What I am hearing you all say is that Omar can shop the bargain basement better than grandma. And he can!

I don't understand something. People whine and moan about the Steelers organization with the accusation that they don't give a damn what the fans think. At the same time, all they do is run around trying to save face. Wouldn't that indicate the Steelers DO care what the fans think? Which one is it?

Very true. They could always stop drafting such fragile personalities. If you can find a young person today without a fragile personality.

He is an Olympic level jackass.
I am saying that the average player drafted is super sensitive today. Maybe the Steelers should change coaching styles not to accommodate, but to better understand how to deal with it

I agree...I do not know why anyone would call into his show he treats his callers like garbage if they dont agree and constantly talks over them. I havent listened to him at all for a couple yrs.
Some people like masochism?

Lets put this in perspective... all indications pointed to Pickett being on the roster until he bitched out... hell they let Russell Wilson leave the building without a contract because they weren't going to guarantee him a starters role and refused to offer anything of note to Chicago for Fields...

These are not moves you make when you are desperately trying to move on from a QB...

Wilson asked for first team reps in exchange for signing a sweetheart deal, kenny punkef out and they ditched him... then traded low for fields
there wasnt some great change of operation here .

If pickett hadnt been an entitled jerk, he probably still starts next year... I continue to think the narrative about the steelers really changing is more PR drivel from team lackey press buffoons...
I dont think Pickett would have started next year over Wilson regardless. Pickett would have stood no chance w/ the fans / media. Every incomplete pass / sack would have came w/ "we want russ" chants. Only chance would have been if Russ bombed and Pickett came in.

To each their own, but I have read countless takes where Madden was 100% right on topics where the rest of the Pgh media was too intimidated to bring the topics up. He might bring some bluster but he often brings the truth...truth others are too scared to mention.

I dont think Pickett would have started next year over Wilson regardless. Pickett would have stood no chance w/ the fans / media. Every incomplete pass / sack would have came w/ "we want russ" chants. Only chance would have been if Russ bombed and Pickett came in.
And who created that environment to begin with? Kenny, and his stinking up the joint. Fans got sick of it.

To each their own, but I have read countless takes where Madden was 100% right on topics where the rest of the Pgh media was too intimidated to bring the topics up. He might bring some bluster but he often brings the truth...truth others are too scared to mention.
that "truth" is in your opinion

many still believe he is full of ****

that "truth" is in your opinion

many still believe he is full of ****
He has written at least 6 truth-encompassing pieces in the last few months. I'd go back and catalog them but I just don't care enough to prove the obvious. But I know his pieces for what they are.

Intimidated how? You have made the assertion...explain more fully how and with proof they are intimidated.

Is it intimidation or the realization that if you act like a jackass, like Madden, you'll get nothing?

It just makes no sense. What, are the Steelers sending guys out to break the thumbs of reporters who ask tough questions?

I am saying that the average player drafted is super sensitive today. Maybe the Steelers should change coaching styles not to accommodate, but to better understand how to deal with it
Perhaps. I don't disagree with you there. My question more is can it be dealt with successfully? Only gonna get worse with NIL.

It just makes no sense. What, are the Steelers sending guys out to break the thumbs of reporters who ask tough questions?
I've posted this in detail previously. Not gonna repeat it. Bottom line, there are certain truths that the Steelers don't want the press to cover and if they do they take away "team privileges."

He has written at least 6 truth-encompassing pieces in the last few months. I'd go back and catalog them but I just don't care enough to prove the obvious. But I know his pieces for what they are.
He can make good points sometimes, but that does not mean he is not a jackass.

again just because you believe what he writes is true doesn't make it truth....