• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

For the Tomlin NEVER coaches on the sideline crowd

So he did give Minkah a tip to not press him everytime. He asked George to give him.a run after catch. That is not coaching. How about a tablet or a white board. See that at all?

So he did give Minkah a tip to not press him everytime. He asked George to give him.a run after catch. That is not coaching. How about a tablet or a white board. See that at all?
you don't have to coach with a tablet or whiteboard

you give tips to your players or remind them of what they already know to get it fresh in their minds

He is a 16 year head coach and been in the league like 20. Yeah I'm sure he knows a lot of stuff. Too bad he couldn't coach Bush to take a ****** gap.
Bush has a position coach who should take care of that

typical though, after be proven wrong haters just change the argument

And the clip was clearly edited to make a point. Minkah was just playing zone there and rallied to the ball got tipped right into his hands. He is making that play 99 times out of 100.

Well its all HIS job. Not just asking a receiver to do something obvious. Like do you think he was gonna say George when you catch it fall to the ground please.

If the clip was him in front of the defense saying when they do this we switch to this. That would make your point a hell of a lot more clearly then that. They might as well have thrown in hey Kenny try to throw completions. Sure thing coach.

He gave specific ideas to Minkah.....My point is valid and accurate
But do you know that the specific instructions led to the pick. It sounded to me like he was telling him to disguise his man coverage as zone more. In the interception it looks like they might have been in a zone or cover 1. He rallied up to someone else's cover to seperate the ball and before he got there the guy tipped a catchable ball into his breadbasket.

Bush has a position coach who should take care of that

typical though, after be proven wrong haters just change the argument
So... Given that Tomlin isn't Minkah's position coach, you're saying it was inappropriate for him to overstep?

Holy ****! This Bull **** is like today's politics. One hundred people could watch the same thing and depending on their views swear that each saw something different. Or, just make **** up to not admit the others have a valid point.
Personally, I don't care if Tomlin shows US that he's coaching as long as he shows the PLAYERS that he's coaching ... Something more than one of them has stated he does. But, then again, since he's a player's coach, they'd all lie for him. smh

Coach Tomlin is one of the better coaches in the current NFL. His methods have both ups and downs AND somewhat less conventional than somew would desire.

His record of the last several years seem to show his coaching ability…………. Slightly above average……… hard to argue with win / loss records.

Did he coach them to 7-2 last 1/2 season ….. hell yes, but he also coached them to 2-6 1st 1/2 Season.

Salute the nation

Holy ****! This Bull **** is like today's politics. One hundred people could watch the same thing and depending on their views swear that each saw something different. Or, just make **** up to not admit the others have a valid point.
Personally, I don't care if Tomlin shows US that he's coaching as long as he shows the PLAYERS that he's coaching ... Something more than one of them has stated he does. But, then again, since he's a player's coach, they'd all lie for him. smh
If someone thinks that a 20 plus year nFL coach doesn't know a ton of his craft they are stupid. All I'm saying is that clip is being offered up as proof of him coaching them up. We'll it doesn't. He tells an all pro safety to make sure he disguises his coverage. Ok. Then the guy gets a tipped ball right in his hands and we are supposed to believe the two go together. The second half is tat amount to TJ get me a sack next series. That ain't next level ****.

But do you know that the specific instructions led to the pick. It sounded to me like he was telling him to disguise his man coverage as zone more. In the interception it looks like they might have been in a zone or cover 1. He rallied up to someone else's cover to seperate the ball and before he got there the guy tipped a catchable ball into his breadbasket.
does it matter?

it has been said many times that he never coaches on the sideline

here is video proof of him coaching on the sideline

I’d call what he’s doing in the video equal parts motivating and coaching, but I’m OK with that. Most “coaching” should be done Mon-Sat. In-game adjustments…I would expect…would be executed through the coordinators.

One thing I learned from being enlisted military for 26 years…The best leaders (perception wise) are the ones that can make a connection with his/her people…. But some of the worst are leaders with the same traits. The difference…a successful organization would typically have a left-brained person in the #2 or #3 seat. You need both. Anyone with an ego big enough to prevent them from hiring someon smarter than themselves is doomed to fail.

Who is Tomlin’s counter-balance. If he’s the personal leader, connectable, relatable coach…who’s his tactician, strategists…the Xs and Os guru? I think maybe LeBeau, Arians, and maybe Haley were XO guys, but who is that person now?

I went into this year thinking Tomlin should have been canned. start fresh. No Ben, new coach etc.

Tomlin did a great job this year but most people will not see it or admit it for the very reasons in this thread

He is clearly coaching up his players in the video. something we have been told on this board many times that that never happens.

But somehow Bush comes into the onversation? strange times

If someone thinks that a 20 plus year nFL coach doesn't know a ton of his craft they are stupid. All I'm saying is that clip is being offered up as proof of him coaching them up. We'll it doesn't. He tells an all pro safety to make sure he disguises his coverage. Ok. Then the guy gets a tipped ball right in his hands and we are supposed to believe the two go together. The second half is tat amount to TJ get me a sack next series. That ain't next level ****.
It would seem to me, and I'm just guessing here, that the "coaching them up" part had better be done during the week ... film study, position meetings, install, etc. So that, when game time comes, you maybe only have to give reminders on technique and plan. It would also seem to me that the OC and DC should be the ones with the clipboards since they are the ones calling the plays (I know, "But Tomlin ....").
On a side note, I watched all the games this weekend. Know what I didn't see? Other than the HCs who actively called one side (primarily offense), I didn't see shots of HCs standing in front of whiteboards or walking around with tablets, clipboards, or playsheets "coaching up" their players. This is despite the fact that several games went from apparent blowouts early to nail-biters or losses late. I guess those coaches weren't active enough in coaching up their guys.

Last edited:
I went into this year thinking Tomlin should have been canned. start fresh. No Ben, new coach etc.

Tomlin did a great job this year but most people will not see it or admit it for the very reasons in this thread

He is clearly coaching up his players in the video. something we have been told on this board many times that that never happens.

But somehow Bush comes into the conversation? strange times
Just different for every poster. Some fans put more emphasis on regular season. Which is fine by me they are entitled to their likes and opinions.

Some are bottom line fans like me. I want the team to be competitive when it matters. As in playoffs. Get there and be competitive when you are there. Been robbed of that far too long for my likes.

If a great job is coming back from a horrific start to still be on the outside looking in come playoffs, I want better than great.