• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls Game Goats & FU's...........vs Jaguars.........week 8.....

Chicoman

Reaction score
Well I don't know about anyone else but the highlight of this game for me was seeing Deebo getting the crowd pumped up before the game on the field. My god the guy is 44 years old and he looks like he could still go out there and perform better than most of our Defensive guys. No one held the edge better than Deebo.....EVER! Congratulations to the 4 Steelers that went into the Ring of Honor James Harrison, Aaron Smith, Ray Manfield & Gerry Mullins. I think we can all agree at this point that it was a terrible decision to keep Matt Canada as our OC. Almost halfway through the season I can say without question this offense is statically worse than the 1998 Steelers offense under Ray Sherman for those of us who actually remember that offense in 1998....if you don't remember it was attrocious! This 2023 Steelers offense is statistically worse! They are averaging 271 YPG from scrimmage vs in 1998 under Ray Sherman the Steelers were averaging 286 YPG. As for scoring offense they are worse also....1998 Steelers through 7 games scored 106 points this 2023 Steelers offense has scored 99 points through 7 games. From a talent perspective there is way much more talent on the offensive side of the football in 2023 vs 1998. Our offensive weapons in 1998 were Kordell Stewart, Jerome Bettis, Fred McAfee, Courtney Hawkins, Charles Johnson, Mark Breuner vs Kenny Pickett, Najee Harris, Jaylen Warren, Dionte Johnson, George Pickens, Cameron Heyward. I had very little hope in this game as the Jaguars are simply the better team on paper. I'm beyond frustrated with this offense because the play calling is too predictible and the offense is the definition of incompetent! As for the O-line James Daniels sticks out like a sore thumb....he's absolutely a problem....honestly I can't believe he still has a starting job....our backups must be terrible if we can't replace this guy. Isaac Semulo isn't much better and Mason Cole is also not good. I almost wonder if Dan Moore could slide inside to Left Guard and move Semulo to Right Guard and start Broderick Jones just to try and shake things up a little bit on that O-line. The run blocking and pass blocking are just terrible! Defensively we know there's talent on this roster.....They created 3 turnovers today in a losing effort....but don't expect anything from this offense....if the Steelers Defense can't score TD's don't count on our offense to do it because they can't get out of their own way.

Tomlin needs to do something with regards to this offense and the play calling by Matt Canada(he wasn't terrible today but the offense is too predictible when under center they run 90% and in Shotgun they pass 82% it's too predictible.....I noticed something today that I thought was odd.....both QB's when they felt pressure or felt pressure in the pocket they both rolled to their left which I thought was very odd.....don't see that often from a right handed throwing QB....in fact it's often taught never roll the opposite of your throwing arm. Seeing Pickett & Trubisky both do it makes me wonder if Canada has told them to do that because that is not a natural tendency. The one thing that stunk on Defense was what appeared to be a breakdown in the secondary on the TD throw to Etienne.....I think Joey Jr thought he had help deep from Kazee perhaps he got caught peeking into the backfield.....but that long TD really hurt the outcome of this one. Defensively I didn't notice Keanu Benton in there very much this game.....did he get hurt? Is he in Tomlin's doghouse? He got good pressure on a couple plays I saw him in but I don't think he logged alot of snaps. In case anyone is keeping track the last time the Steelers offense had over 400 yds total offense was back in Week 2 of the 2020 season on Septemeber 20th vs Denver Broncos.....Ben passed for 311 yds & James Conner rushed for 106 yds. Since that time every other NFL team has had at least 4x games where they've put up at least 400 yds total offense. I can't imagine it getting much more pathetic than this. If there's anything positive to take away from this game it's that we are one game closer to seeing Matt Canada's career being over as the Steelers OC. I think the predictible play calling is killing this offense.....that falls directly on Matt Canada & Head Coach Mike Tomlin. And don't even get me started on the lack of throws to Pickens.....the kid is a baller.....just like AB....just throw it up to him and let him go get it.

As Per Tomlin's Post Game:
Kenny Pickett - Rib injury that's being evaluated
Minkah Fitzpatrick - Hamstring injury wasn't able to return
Dionte Johnson - Able to Return
Dan Moore - Able to Return

Game Balls:
Elenandon Roberts - 5 tackles, 1.5 sacks....he got good pressure when he was in there
Cole Holcomb - 11 tackles today
Dionte Johnson - 8 rec 85 yds

Game Goats:
Isaac Semulo, Mason Cole, James Daniels - They can't run block, they can't pass block! They don't belong on this team! Why are they starting O-line? Most plays look like the Defense is just on a jailbreak to the ball carrier or QB.

FU's:
Matt Canada - You deserve this every week but this week it's FU Matt Canada for your predicitible play calling! 10 more games with this asshat as our OC! I'm counting them down!

There was a nice interception made today. Forget who did it, but it was nice

FU to the offense we just cannot ever get any 1st Qtr momentum

A side note, why did the organization place new turf in the middle of the field with two games in 5 days with rain forcast and why did it seem the jagoffs adapted better than we did after the first 10 minutes of the game. It's happened before, Johnson slipped numerous times, TJ had issues as did Highsmith and Minka with a hammy.

Game Goats:
Isaac Semulo, Mason Cole, James Daniels - They can't run block, they can't pass block! They don't belong on this team! Why are they starting O-line? Most plays look like the Defense is just on a jailbreak to the ball carrier or QB.

Always a thumbs up for the perspective every week!

One thing I don't get though (and not just in reference to just your list) is how Chuks keeps not being a part of the OL failures. Sometimes he is trash. Sometimes he is disinterested. Sometimes, at best, he is serviceable.

This game is a replay of about 10, 15 others the past 2.5 years. Seriously. You can just plug in the 2021 vs. the Bengals x 2, the Packers, the Raiders, the Chiefs, the 2022 version vs. the Patsies, the Browns, the Jets, the Bills, the Eagles, the Ravens, the 2023 version vs. the 49ers, the Texans, the Jags. It goes on and on.

And the Rooney family, Tomlin and Canada are 100% fine with it. They don't give a ****, why should I?

Always a thumbs up for the perspective every week!

One thing I don't get though (and not just in reference to just your list) is how Chuks keeps not being a part of the OL failures. Sometimes he is trash. Sometimes he is disinterested. Sometimes, at best, he is serviceable.
The entire O-line is sub-par....perhaps it's expectations of Cole & Daniels and the addition of Semulu. Chuks has sucked at times but Daniels IMO is the worst of the bunch followed closely by Cole & Semulu. They've gotta shake up that O-line because they are absolutely terrible. Whenever there is pressure it's up the middle between the tackles and it's a jailbreak. Saw it too often today!

Game goat:
The coaching staff. Same crap different week. Too tough to come back when they actually play a talented opponent.

How many games is it this year when I have to hear something like "the Steelers are still looking for their first first down of the game" in the second quarter? Is it 3? 4? I've lost count. At least it's less than the number of times I've had to look at that asshat offensive coordinator that they insist on putting on camera every single week.

Game goat:
The coaching staff. Same crap different week. Too tough to come back when they actually play a talented opponent.

It's a long ongoing problem and why they will never succeed in the playoffs to win a championship again. They wallow in perennial mediocrity and success is defined as not having a losing season.

The decline has been steady and that championship culture is long gone.

It's really difficult to watch.

It's a long ongoing problem and why they will never succeed in the playoffs to win a championship again. They wallow in perennial mediocrity and success is defined as not having a losing season.

The decline has been steady and that championship culture is long gone.

It's really difficult to watch.

The Steelers are the Yankees circa 1965-1975. A great franchise reduced to mediocrity, some winning years, no playoffs, no playoff wins.

Steinbrenner said, "**** that." Kept firing people until the team won.

The Steelers aren’t anything I recognize as a championship caliber team or even a winning team. They look more like the browns than the browns.

Apparently all those great and wonderful moves by Kahn weren’t so great and wonderful after all. Maybe there’s a reason the team was reluctant to move on from Colbert’s version of mediocrity.

The Steelers aren’t anything I recognize as a championship caliber team or even a winning team. They look more like the browns than the browns.

Apparently all those great and wonderful moves by Kahn weren’t so great and wonderful after all. Maybe there’s a reason the team was reluctant to move on from Colbert’s version of mediocrity.
We were all hoodwinked because someone came in an actually made some moves....

Issac Seumalu is mid at best. Supposed to be the best LG in the league. I thought this guy was going to solidify the left side...nada. Kelce taking care of his ***....

I wouldn't say that.

Seumalo is probably the Steelers best OL right now.

The trio of Holcomb, Roberts, and Alexander are playing better than the ILBs last season.

Broderick Jones should be starting at LT. Porter is the team's best CB. Benton is one of the best rookie performers in the NFL. Nick Herbig has made splash plays in limited action.

The moves in the secondary didn't exactly pan out. I just don't think the players are as incompetent as they look on a weekly basis.

I wouldn't say that.

Seumalo is probably the Steelers best OL right now.

The trio of Holcomb, Roberts, and Alexander are playing better than the ILBs last season.

Broderick Jones should be starting at LT. Porter is the team's best CB. Benton is one of the best rookie performers in the NFL. Nick Herbig has made splash plays in limited action.

The moves in the secondary didn't exactly pan out. I just don't think the players are as incompetent as they look on a weekly basis.
I think the coordinators aren't good not even a little bit. I think the HC is incapable of fixing them or calling plays.

Until they fix that offense this team will continue struggling week to week with no end in sight.

I am ok with what Khan has done in short time. The man can't fix what ails this team, only a turnover with coaches can do that IMO.