• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Gerry Dulac is reporting Pickett to the Eagles

Yet that is what Wilson wanted.

Do you really think there was going to be a "competition"? This was Wilson's job from the time he agreed to come aboard.
There is always a competition, the NFL is about winning. If Pickett outperformed Wilson in OTA, TC, and the Pre-Season, do you really think a coach is not going to play the person that gives them the best chance of winning? Why was Pickett not re-instated as the starter when he was healthy at the end of last year...because Rudolph gave them the best chance of winning games at that point. I guarantee that no NFL player is ever "guaranteed" anything. Hypothetical here, if Mahomes gets ****** tomorrow and demands a trade, offers to waive any money he is due, and is willing to sign with the Steelers for 2 mil., do you still think Wilson of Fields is the starting QB? Regardless of any guarantees. **** happens, players become available, either rise to the occasion, or take your ball and go home. Tomlin told the world that there would be competition for Kenny...apparently Kenny was only cool with that if he knew he liked who the competition was.

There is always a competition, the NFL is about winning. If Pickett outperformed Wilson in OTA, TC, and the Pre-Season, do you really think a coach is not going to play the person that gives them the best chance of winning? Why was Pickett not re-instated as the starter when he was healthy at the end of last year...because Rudolph gave them the best chance of winning games at that point. I guarantee that no NFL player is ever "guaranteed" anything. Hypothetical here, if Mahomes gets ****** tomorrow and demands a trade, offers to waive any money he is due, and is willing to sign with the Steelers for 2 mil., do you still think Wilson of Fields is the starting QB? Regardless of any guarantees. **** happens, players become available, either rise to the occasion, or take your ball and go home. Tomlin told the world that there would be competition for Kenny...apparently Kenny was only cool with that if he knew he liked who the competition was.
Again. Wilson was promised the gig.....yet you just criticized that in Pickett because he wanted to be the guy. Wilson wanted to be promised it was his job to lose. Steelers gave that to him. There was never going to be any real competition. Just like last year there wasn't any real competition against Pickett. You can't have it both ways.

As far as your hypothetical on Mahomes......how about this hypothetical:

Mahomes has a horrible preseason. Throws 10 ints. Zero tds. And his back up throws 20 tds and zero ints......does Mahomes get demoted? Was really any competition?

Again. Wilson was promised the gig.....yet you just criticized that in Pickett because he wanted to be the guy. Wilson wanted to be promised it was his job to lose. Steelers gave that to him. There was never going to be any real competition. Just like last year there wasn't any real competition against Pickett. You can't have it both ways.

As far as your hypothetical on Mahomes......how about this hypothetical:

Mahomes has a horrible preseason. Throws 10 ints. Zero tds. And his back up throws 20 tds and zero ints......does Mahomes get demoted? Was really any competition?
Were you in the room when Wilson was told that he was guaranteed to be the starter, no questions asked, and regardless of performance? If not, than you are speculating. Maybe if Pickett didn't want any competition, he could have looked like an NFL QB for the last 2 years. Mahomes would still start because he has EARNED it based on his performance. Kenny earned no benefit of the doubt based on his performance. The fact that our 2 defensive leaders wanted someone other than Kenny at QB this year speaks volumes.

Were you in the room when Wilson was told that he was guaranteed to be the starter, no questions asked, and regardless of performance? If not, than you are speculating. Maybe if Pickett didn't want any competition, he could have looked like an NFL QB for the last 2 years. Mahomes would still start because he has EARNED it based on his performance. Kenny earned no benefit of the doubt based on his performance. The fact that our 2 defensive leaders wanted someone other than Kenny at QB this year speaks volumes.
A few reporters are reporting that Wilson wanted the job to lose....Funny how you use the "were you in the room" angle and than spew stuff on Pickett. Were you in the room when he made his demand that he has no competition?

Of course Mahomes would start.....but in your other post you stated everyone has competition though. 🙄

Also who cares what our defensive players wanted. Our D has their own issues. Maybe they should call out the person standing beside them to do better. Maybe they should ask for a new DC. Or HC.

A few reporters are reporting that Wilson wanted the job to lose....Funny how you use the "were you in the room" angle and than spew stuff on Pickett. Were you in the room when he made his demand that he has no competition?

Of course Mahomes would start.....but in your other post you stated everyone has competition though. 🙄

Also who cares what our defensive players wanted. Our D has their own issues. Maybe they should call out the person standing beside them to do better. Maybe they should ask for a new DC. Or HC.
Wanting the job to lose is not a guarantee that you are the starter regardless of the price of tea in China. I would say requesting a trade after the Steelers signed Wilson kind of speaks for itself as far as not wanting competition. Mahomes, Ben, Brady, Brees...etc. EARNED the right to not have competition by performing week in and week out. IF their performance over the course of a season was equal to what we saw from Pickett, you can bet your *** there would be competition for their job. What the **** has Pickett ever done to earn even a slight benefit of the doubt. Good for the Steelers for admitting Pickett was a mistake and moving on.

What about when ARll used pretty much the same words about Kenny after the season? Wasn’t that an endorsement? I mean they both committed to Kenny and claimed there would be competition for him.
I think they weren’t able to discuss Wilson or Fields at that time because of tampering rules. But, I believe they fully intended to make a run at either of them or any other QB that became available that they viewed as an upgrade. Khan said it himself when he said it was his job to look at all positions for upgrades. In that sense, I believe they all lied about being “fully committed” to Pickett.
However, at the end of the season, for a bunch of reasons, it didn’t make sense, nor was it good strategy, to admit they wanted better/different.
AR2 was far more critical of Pickett than Tomlin was, hell I'm not sure I heard Tomlin say anything negative about Kenny. AR2 said he has to process faster, have more pocket presence, etc. He also never said that the 2024 starting QB was on the roster like Tomlin did.
Fact is Kenny was Tomlin's pick, his first real attempt at QB after Ben and it was a failure and Tomlin refused to acknowlegde that.

Wanting the job to lose is not a guarantee that you are the starter regardless of the price of tea in China. I would say requesting a trade after the Steelers signed Wilson kind of speaks for itself as far as not wanting competition. Mahomes, Ben, Brady, Brees...etc. EARNED the right to not have competition by performing week in and week out. IF their performance over the course of a season was equal to what we saw from Pickett, you can bet your *** there would be competition for their job. What the **** has Pickett ever done to earn even a slight benefit of the doubt. Good for the Steelers for admitting Pickett was a mistake and moving on.
So Pickett was told he would be the starter going into the next year with competition. Basically that is what Wilson wanted and then given. Why couldn't Wilson just go into it as the number 2 and have to fight for number one? .....because he wouldn't have signed if he wasn’t guaranteed the number one spot. The argument you use against Pickett can be used against Wilson. And you can all but guess there was NEVER going to be an open competition(speculation of course. I wasn't in the room when they were making promises).

And again. You brought up an idiotic hypothetical Mahomes arguement so I countered with one that was just as idiotic....even though you stated there is ALWAYS competition in the NFL.

So Pickett was told he would be the starter going into the next year with competition. Basically that is what Wilson wanted and then given. Why couldn't Wilson just go into it as the number 2 and have to fight for number one? .....because he wouldn't have signed if he wasn’t guaranteed the number one spot. The argument you use against Pickett can be used against Wilson. And you can all but guess there was NEVER going to be an open competition(speculation of course. I wasn't in the room when they were making promises).

And again. You brought up an idiotic hypothetical Mahomes arguement so I countered with one that was just as idiotic....even though you stated there is ALWAYS competition in the NFL.
LMAO...an established veteran that has won a SB, should have won a second one, should come in as the #2 behind a QB that has done NOTHING to warrant being a starter in the NFL. All so Kenny Pickett doesn't get his feelings hurt and cry like a *****. Again, if Pickett outperformed Wilson on OTA, TC, and Pre-Season do you think the HC would not play the better of the two? Guess we will never know.

Of course there is ALWAYS competition in the NFL...but the amount of rope you get before you hang yourself is based on production. Pickett was an entitled and abysmal QB...that is why he was gone.

AR2 was far more critical of Pickett than Tomlin was, hell I'm not sure I heard Tomlin say anything negative about Kenny. AR2 said he has to process faster, have more pocket presence, etc. He also never said that the 2024 starting QB was on the roster like Tomlin did.
Fact is Kenny was Tomlin's pick, his first real attempt at QB after Ben and it was a failure and Tomlin refused to acknowlegde that.

How can you say this when Tomlin effectively benched KP during the most important games of the season?

We all can clearly establish that KP was never promised the QB1 role, given all of the 'Open Competition' rhetoric. So how in the world could he have been 'misled'?

This isn't a marriage ("Till death"), its a business. The only thing 'promised' is the guaranteed money you sign for.

On top of that, imagine playing as bad as he has, and feeling entitled to anything.

How can you say this when Tomlin effectively benched KP during the most important games of the season?
He didn't bench him, Pickett was hurt and Mason played so well there's no way he could put him back in, especially after the way all the players rallied around Mason. Tomlin left Pickett at #1 on the depth chart, and went out of his way after the season to talk him up. He barely said anything at all about Mason after the season. Like I said before, Tomlin flat out said the 2024 starting QB was already on the roster. He definitely wasn't talking about Mitch, and Mason wasn't under contract. If he didn't believe that, he would've talked around that question like we all know he can do.

Not apologizing for the pick, or Tomlin, but the local media, etc. has always said that Kenny was Colbert's pick. He wanted to give the franchise Ben's replacement before he left. That said, it's also been stated many times that under Colbert, the high round picks were made by concensus of Tomlin, Colbert, ARll with input from the scouts. I don't know which story to believe. Just glad to see them making moves lately to correct issues.

Even his body language / verbality / & demeanor shows that he has been put forth with an ulttimatum.

The delay on the extension, shows the caution being exhibited.

I’m not saying he is gone soon, but there are visual cracks that could grow.
Not to rain on any parades, and I may be wrong, but, don’t they usually handle Tomlin’s extensions closer to training camp? Like May or June. DK and Dulac have both said they don’t expect an extension until the Summer.
I’m thinking his next extension will be his last one.

Not apologizing for the pick, or Tomlin, but the local media, etc. has always said that Kenny was Colbert's pick. He wanted to give the franchise Ben's replacement before he left. That said, it's also been stated many times that under Colbert, the high round picks were made by concensus of Tomlin, Colbert, ARll with input from the scouts. I don't know which story to believe. Just glad to see them making moves lately to correct issues.
The local media, well the ones that show up the presser's, will never blame Tomlin. I find it very hard to believe they were going to let the guy who was on the way out the door (Colbert) make that pick, and not the Head Coach who was going to be hand-cuffed to that QB. I think that was absolutely Tomlin's guy.

I’m thinking his next extension will be his last one.
Tomlin? Yeah, I could see that.
I could also see him out after next season if this roster "retool" turns sideways. I don't, however, see them not giving him an extension this Summer.

I could also see him out after next season if this roster "retool" turns sideways. I don't, however, see them not giving him an extension this Summer.
He will get the usual two year extension but if there aren’t any playoff runs, and I have zero confidence that there will be, he will “retire” at the end of it.

I think it depends on how much of the current off-season moves are Tomlin driven and how many are front office/GM/Rooney driven.

I think it depends on how much of the current off-season moves are Tomlin driven and how many are front office/GM/Rooney driven.
As mentioned, it appears that Shades is under the gun but I think the rash of changes is FO driven. I think he knows he has to do some things differently but I do not believe he is capable of changing very much or he would done it by now.
Again, 3 playoff wins in 13 years and none in the last 7.
From Deuce and the Kahn Man’s point of view, it’ll be well, gave you all sorts of better players and you still went 10-7 and a wildcard loss.

Last edited:
LMAO...an established veteran that has won a SB, should have won a second one, should come in as the #2 behind a QB that has done NOTHING to warrant being a starter in the NFL. All so Kenny Pickett doesn't get his feelings hurt and cry like a *****. Again, if Pickett outperformed Wilson on OTA, TC, and Pre-Season do you think the HC would not play the better of the two? Guess we will never know.

Of course there is ALWAYS competition in the NFL...but the amount of rope you get before you hang yourself is based on production. Pickett was an entitled and abysmal QB...that is why he was gone.
You keep talking in circles. Round and round you go. First there is always competition. Now... unless you are an aging Vet there isn't.

So Pickett is gone because of his entitlement. What about that vet RB we signed a few years ago? Blount. Was he an entitled players also? What about Imgram? Entitled also perhaps? Harrison? Entitled? What do all of these players have in common? Tomlin told them one thing.....lies.

There is always a competition, the NFL is about winning. If Pickett outperformed Wilson in OTA, TC, and the Pre-Season, do you really think a coach is not going to play the person that gives them the best chance of winning?
No. He has shown that in the past. Starting Mitch and Kenny over Mason. Starting Jarvis Jones over… well anyone on the team or cashiering at Giant Eagle. Starting Artie Burns. Starting Devin Bush for two years after he sucked and was outplayed by Spillane every time he came into the game.

Why was Pickett not re-instated as the starter when he was healthy at the end of last year...because Rudolph gave them the best chance of winning games at that point. I guarantee that no NFL player is ever "guaranteed" anything. Hypothetical here, if Mahomes gets ****** tomorrow and demands a trade, offers to waive any money he is due, and is willing to sign with the Steelers for 2 mil., do you still think Wilson of Fields is the starting QB? Regardless of any guarantees. **** happens, players become available, either rise to the occasion, or take your ball and go home. Tomlin told the world that there would be competition for Kenny...apparently Kenny was only cool with that if he knew he liked who the competition was.
Mason reminds me of Spillane. Both are solid starters. Probably not gonna light the world on fire but both will do what is expected from a starter. Ben was special and would do things above and beyond. Not Mason and definitely not Kenny.

I think Kenny isn’t in a better situation. Russ is on his way down in his career. I think he hopes that this can springboard him into one last contract and I hope it does too. Means we had a good season and if/when he signs elsewhere we get a good comp pick.

Fields is in the same spot Kenny was. He is in the second position but if Russ stumbles out of the gate or gets injured maybe he gets playing time before November when we have a better opportunity to make up for it. He can maybe springboard himself into a long term contract with us.

Regardless, I don’t see Russ being here 2-3 years from now. And if Fields resigns I feel it will be a Jordan Love deal. One where he gets money upfront but the Steelers can cut ties in a season with minimal cap implications if he doesn’t perform. I’m ok with that. He’s had 20 tds in 13 games last year (pass/run). And 26 in 15 games the year before. That is the equivalent of 30 in 2022 and 26 in 2023.

We all can clearly establish that KP was never promised the QB1 role, given all of the 'Open Competition' rhetoric. So how in the world could he have been 'misled'?

This isn't a marriage ("Till death"), its a business. The only thing 'promised' is the guaranteed money you sign for.

On top of that, imagine playing as bad as he has, and feeling entitled to anything.
Well, that is what the FO and Tomlin were saying up to the Wilson signing. That he was #1 going in. With competition. The exact thing Wilson wanted for him to sign. And we all know there was never going to be a competition after the Wilson signing. You know since there isn't now an open competition going in now with Fields and Wilson.

As mentioned, it appears that Shades is under the gun but I think the rash of changes is FO driven. I think he knows he has to do some things differently but I do not believe he is capable of changing very much or he would done it by now.
Again, 3 playoff wins in 13 years and none in the last 7.
From Deuce and the Kahn Man’s point of view, it’ll be well, gave you all sorts of better players and you still went 10-7 and a wildcard loss.
We will be trotting out there our same ole same ole defensive scheme. We kept Austin. He got extended or will be. Tomlin's baby anyways.

Mason’s goodbye to the Steelers a little more cordial than Kenny.