• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Gunner Olszewski on Steelers WR3: “Whatever I can do to help this team win ball games.”

Steeler Nation

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
What an off-season it’s already been for the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2022. After spending the most money they’ve spent in franchise history, the team is looking to make strides and keep pace in an increasingly competitive AFC. They’ve added new faces to both the offense and defensive sides of the ball, and one of those faces includes the newest receiver and special teamer, Gunner Olszewski.

Olszewski was a First Team All-Pro selection in 2020, and he owes it to his humble beginnings in Alvin, TX. In a media interview featured on Steelers.com, Olszewski shared his thoughts about his transition into playing receiver, and what to expect from him now that he’s in the Steel City.

'I play with fearlessness, toughness. I'm from Alvin, Texas. Being from Alvin, you have to be tough. You don't have a choice.' – @Gunnerolszewsk1 is ready to bring that toughness to the Steelers

📝
: https://t.co/4faXbVRxGX pic.twitter.com/GP8KIEP8PQ

— Teresa Varley (@Teresa_Varley) April 1, 2022

With receivers JuJu Smith-Schuster, Ray-Ray McCloud, and James Washington now all finding themselves on new rosters, this leaves a large vacancy at the WR position. When asked if that’s somewhere Olszewski felt he could contribute, he responded with this:

“We’ll see what happens. We haven’t talked much about X and O’s, but I’m looking forward to just putting on the black and yellow and playing football — no matter where that’s at. Whether it’s at receiver, or just returning kicks. Whatever I can do to help this team win ball games.”

Olszewski is still fairly new to the receiver position. So when asked about where he felt he was in terms of playing the role effectively, Olszewski explained that he’s already come a long way:

“I learned a lot. I played under a lot of good people.” Olszewski continued. “I think I progressed obviously more than what I did when I came in. I never played the receiver position before the 2019 season. So obviously I think I’ve gotten a whole lot better at it — and we’ll see where that goes.”

There’s no doubt that the Steelers are most likely going to head into the 2022 NFL Draft later this month and draft a wide receiver early to help with depth. Diontae Johnson and Chase Claypool are set to be the starters and will hopefully pair well with newly signed quarterback, Mitch Trubisky, the presumed starter under center. Say the Steelers don’t draft a receiver or add another one via free agency. Do yinz think Olszewski can provide the depth needed to keep this positional group competitive?

Watch the full clip here. Comment below!

#SteelerNation

Support SteelerNation by clicking here to read the story..