• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Has Fields done enough to be #1

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
on a day when the rushing attack was not there at all

Fields went 22/34 for 312 yards and a TD plus 55 yards rushing and 2 TDs

even with his horrible fumble and a few other miscues he was one of the few bright spots today.

it appears he is getting better each week and is doing better protecting the ball

he still has room to improve, his "run or get rid of the ball" clock needs to get better and the snap issues have to stop (no matter who is truly at fault)

overall he has been better than I expected and led this team to a 3-1 start.....really should be 4-0 if they hadn't beat the hell out of themselves today.

so is he your #1 or is it still Russ?

Fields mishandled the ball....frequently. Russ has proved nothing yet. Play hot hand Fields.

I think so. He has looked great at times, and pretty iffy at times. But the results have been mostly positive and isn’t trying to do too much and turning the ball over. Until he completely ***** the bed a time or two, I don’t know how you go to Russ.

To answer the question... no, I do not feel he has definitively established himself as the #1.

He still looks very uncomfortable and overwhelmed at times, especially during the early stages of each game thus far. It also looks like he has limited options from a play-calling perspective, as mentioned by one of the announcers. I'd think this would be dictated by the coaching staff's confidence in his capabilities.

Not sure what Russ has too offer, but I'm curious to understand if it is the QB or the gameplan. It could certainly be the execution elsewhere.

I am generally satisfied with the 3-1 record, especially with 3 on the road. However, todays "impressive stat-line" makes me think of a less proven/effective version of Lamar.

On to Dallas...

Part of me still wants to see what the offense would look like with Wilson, but Fields has played well enough that it's hard to imagine the offense being much better with Wilson, considering the poor line play and lack of a legit WR2.

Field's production is improving from week to week and he showed today he can produce while facing a large deficit, which was a big question mark

It almost feels like they need to keep playing him to determine if he's becoming the QB he was drafted to be and is worth resigning.

Benching him could derail any development and confidence he seems to be showing.

What has Russ done in a Steelers uniform that he deserves to even be in the discussion?
Fields.
" It's his body of work...if you will."

I think you try him. To not do so is insane. That's why he was brought here.... that's why Denver signed him for 245 million because he's not washed like many think. As Arthur Moats has said " When in his entire career has he not shown what he can do?" Or something like that. Even with not playing a full season in Denver he put up 3,000+ yards and 26 touchdowns. Fields was on pace after the Denver game (according to Pro Football Reference) for 11 TDs and something like 1,800 yards. I think you go with the vet instead of on the job training with a guy who is not going to get you anywhere come January. Fields is not ready to take us anywhere meaningful at this point, with Russ there is a possibility. Just my 2 cents.

Fields has not had a really bad game yet. Some bad plays yes, but not a bad game. Fields biggest issue has been the snap exchange. I do not recall him throwing many terrible passes and he has stayed away from coverage for the most part. He has thrown some big passes in clutch situations. Like today on 3rd and 1 he threw a dime to Pickens. He had the perfect pass to Austin for the TD last week. Today we almost came back from 17-0 which i dont think many thought was possible. Our line was banged up, our RBs were banged up, and Fields kept on going. I dont see how you can take him out at this point.

I really don’t know, more so that I don’t know where Russell will be. He did some good things and some not so good things.

I guess I am on the fence but at the beginning of the year I think I was all Wilson so being on the fence is a sign Fields has made some steps…

Last edited:
"Fields was on pace after the Denver game (according to Pro Football Reference) for 11 TDs and something like 1,800 yards.

After the Denver game, I was with you on the Wilson/Fields debate, but after the last couple games, I think they have to keep playing Fields until he clearly shows he's not the answer for them.

There has been clear progression with not just his production, but the offense as a whole through four games. He had 350+ total yards and scored 3 tds today. The offense might have scored 30+ points if not for the fumble by Pickens near the goal line.

They need to keep playing him. If he implodes, then go to Wilson.

even with his horrible fumble and a few other miscues he was one of the few bright spots today.

it appears he is getting better each week and is doing better protecting the ball

he still has room to improve, his "run or get rid of the ball" clock needs to get better and the snap issues have to stop (no matter who is truly at fault)

overall he has been better than I expected and led this team to a 3-1 start.....really should be 4-0 if they hadn't beat the hell out of themselves today.

He has done everything asked of him. And importantly has improved every game. What would that say to the rest of the team. I think our OC has to take the gloves off a little more. These fumbles/botched snaps have to stop. What worries me is that it happened in Chicago too. It really has hurt this team not getting a bonafide #2. What if it takes Wilson a couple games to shake the rust off. Of course I am curious what Wilson would look like as well.

I don’t know if he’s our “franchise” guy of future, but I leave him at 1. I like that he keeps eyes downfield as he scrambles and doesn’t look to just run like so many young athletic qb’s do when the play breaks down. I’m more concerned with who RB1 is because Najee just isn’t getting it. How can a man that big and athletic not constantly get positive yardage. It’s like we’re happy if Najee gets a positive 1 or 2 yard gain. The line isn’t reminding anyone of The Hogs but Patterson seemed to make quick/right decisions.

I think you have to ride the Fields train unless it derails. I do not want a ageing QB that you may get one more season out of. I get signing Wilson on the cheap but to me at this point he is just a very cheap above average backup. I would like to find that young talented QB that can carry this team for years just like Ben did. Is Justin that guy? Don't know but if you sit him for Wilson it could set you back a couple years to find that guy.

I am all in on Justin Fields for the remainder of this season. I just have a good feeling about him and I am really rooting for him to be our Third great QB.

yes

I have a feeling at some point before the BYE week we will see Russell Wilson get his chance at starting and it could be next week vs Cowboys. I've seen improvement from Fields since week 1 and he's making some great throws that make you think.....He's the guy but then there's some plays out there where he makes poor decisions like the scramble/fumble today that not only took us out of FG range but we lost the football to boot! I don't think Russell Wilson will make much difference in this offense....it could actually be worse with Wilson as our QB. Fields has got to minimze his mistakes but today's loss can't all be blamed on Fields....the kid actually brought us back to make a game out of it today. His performance in the 2nd half was impressive! He just came up a little short! He certainly didn't do anything to lose the starting job today IMO.

Justin has played well enough to keep the job. He brought them back from a 17-0 defecit and nearly pulled it out. Yes, he made some mistakes like all QBs but he didn’t play defense, he didn’t go for it on fourth and one in his own territory, he didn’t challenge a foolish call on a clear pass completion made by the Colts, he didn’t fail to challenge a Najee Harris first down that would have kept a drive going, he didn’t fumble the ball on the Colts six that would have given us a first and goal. So imo it was more of a team effort in this loss not a Justin Fields issue.

Last edited:
All offensive line is in shambles

Fields is doing way better than y'all realize

All good points Coolie.

I don’t know what he ended up with, but somewhere in the 4th qtr, he had a 104 passer rating. That’s pretty good.

I’m not giving up on him, today there were a lot of drive stoppers not created by him.

EDIT: I’d keep him as the #1. He3 has to work extra credit on that snap / fumble —- bull-puckey stuff.

Salute the nation

Our oline sucked balls today, It was like a freaking jail break almost every time Justin went to throw the ball. The sack fumble was more on the line than on Fields **** it was like that song no where to run to baby no where to hide.

The way he kept fighting and brought us back into the game down by 17 gave me hope. Our defense sucked, our Oline sucked, and Pickens bone head fumble inside the ten was unacceptable. Justin Fields was the brightest star on this team today, If MT decides to sit him for Wilson it will only give more proof to what an idiot he is.