• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

JUSTIN FIELDS

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
All the chatter has the Bears taking Caleb Momma's Boy #1 overall, thus making Justin Fields expendable.
The chatter has a 2nd round pick as the minimum ask in trade.
He's on the final year of his contract, or his 5th year can be picked up for about 25 million.
He is a year younger than Kenny, and is unequivocally more athletic, both with feet and arm strength.
He showed much improvement this last year, too.

If I'm the Steelers, I'm at least contemplating this.
If we can have him for a 2nd rounder, that has me seriously considering pulling the trigger.
I mean, hell, throw in Trubisky. They need a veteran QB since they only have Bagent and Peterman.
Let him come full circle with his QB career and wash our hands of him.

Minimal risk for a potential HUGE reward for us.
If I'm the Bears I'm keeping Fields and drafting Marvin Harrison Jr., but they're the Bears.

What say you?
Any interest in Fields for a 2nd?

giphy.webp

1. Too expensive
2. The Steelers don't need another journeyman QB on the roster
3. They need that 2nd rounder to plug critical holes on the roster

giphy.webp

1. Too expensive
2. The Steelers don't need another journeyman QB on the roster
3. They need that 2nd rounder to plug critical holes on the roster
Too expensive?
He's currently on his rookie deal worth only 6 million this year.
IF we picked up the 5th year option, that would be 2025 for less than 25 million.

A journeyman QB? Wouldn't he have had to play in more than 1 city for that to apply?
I guess by your rationale Minkah Fitzpatrick was a journeyman safety.....................?

Yes, I agree we need our 2nd rounder to plug a critical hole.
Which I firmly believe QB is pretty critical and with Pickett, Trubisky, and Rudolph is also as HOLE-LY as hole can be.

Absolutely not at the cost of a second rounder

He has worse accuracy stats than Pickett. He isnt an upgrade and we shouldnt be wasting premium picks on reclamation projects.

Id rather just spend a second on a drafted guy

If they end up cutting him he is definitely worth a waiver claim though

No no no and hell no.
Not worth giving up premium pick for this guy. I’m not trading a second round pick for ******* potential when we have holes to fill.
Coach Shades wanted Kenny Pickett so it’s his ******* job to get Kenny to play to his best ability and surround him with quality coaches and OL.
Shades made this bed so he lives or dies with it.

Reactions: GMC
No thank you sir.

If yinz want to even sniff a possible Super Bowl the next 1-3 years...you have to go all in and swing a deal for Russell Wilson.

Otherwise...its more of the same for sure.
That would definitely win us a SB. Wilson was a perfect clipboard holder for Denver the last few games

All the chatter has the Bears taking Caleb Momma's Boy #1 overall, thus making Justin Fields expendable.
He's on the final year of his contract, or his 5th year can be picked up for about 25 million.
He is a year younger than Kenny, and is unequivocally more athletic, both with feet and arm strength.

If we can have him for a 2nd rounder, that has me seriously considering pulling the trigger.
I mean, hell, throw in Trubisky. They need a veteran QB since they only have Bagent and Peterman.

If I'm the Bears I'm keeping Fields and drafting Marvin Harrison Jr., but they're the Bears.

What say you?
No interest whatsoever
Think they’ll be a better QB prospect than Fields in the mid 2nd

And you’d get said prospect much cheaper and for 4 years rather than 1 prove it year before an expensive 5th year option

Or just grab a QB in the first and keep swinging for that essential position for the team to get filled if the right guy is there

No thank you sir.

If yinz want to even sniff a possible Super Bowl the next 1-3 years...you have to go all in and swing a deal for Russell Wilson.

Not sure if you’re being sarcastic. My area gets a ton of seachicken games. He was fading bad in Seattle already,never mind Denver. He was a very good QB in his day. Plus that contract now. No thanks.
It’s nice to actually get a player in the upswing of his career......not always the downswing.
That’s why the Fitz trade was so refreshing.

Only way I do it is if the Steelers get conditional picks if they don’t sign him after 2024 or don’t win next year’s Super Bowl. Otherwise the best case scenario is he plays great, comes up short of winning a Super Bowl and the Steelers are faced with either paying him a $45 million salary or starting their search for a franchise QB over.

It would have to be a late-rounder for Fields. He hasn't progressed in his three years in the league. In ways, he regressed this season. Fewer rushing yards and rushing touchdowns this season. While his passing numbers were technically up, his touchdown totals were padded by two 4 TD games. Only 8 TD passes in his other 11 games played this season.

It would have to be a late-rounder for Fields. He hasn't progressed in his three years in the league. In ways, he regressed this season. Fewer rushing yards and rushing touchdowns this season. While his passing numbers were technically up, his touchdown totals were padded by two 4 TD games. Only 8 TD passes in his other 11 games played this season.
I would think they wouldn't be getting much changing him out with his soso season results. Very curious what their asking price would be not that I am overly interested.

What say you?
No. Fields can't read a defense post-snap to save his life. He has a few fun plays a game that makes everyone ooh and ahhh, but beyond that, he stinks. I dont see him getting much better. Certainly not worth pursuing in a trade

No thank you sir.

Get it out of your head, man. No way in hell Russell would do squat with this offense. His best days are well behind him

I've looked at Fields stats. They look the same as pickett's. Why is he better. Cause his team is ******. Really any shittier at least on offense?

No. No more reclaiming missions. I'm actually in favor of not getting our "future QB" this year. Let's stack the lines, and get another receiver. Qb next year.

Two Hall of Fame coaches, Pete Carrol and Sean Payton decided to move on from Russ. Something has been off with him for years.

Arthur Smith's offense does not require a top QB. It's similar to the Shanahan offense. The 49ers and Texans are both running that scheme. Purdy is a solid game manage but not a great QB. Stroud is looking like a game changer so you can already see how Houston's offense, with a crap OL, is explosive.

The 49ers made a SB with Garopalo, but they wanted to go next level with dynamic plays so they drafted Trey Lance. It didn't work out. We'll see how Purdy does in the SB.

The Steelers went for years being a good team. They won lots of games with O'Donnell, Kordell, Tommy Maddox, but they couldn't win it all until they got Ben. Without that Plus QB, you really do need everything to break your way to win it all.

Kenny, Mason, and Trubisky are all capable of running Smith's offense. It fits their skillset. The question is, do the steelers want to play it safe with what they have, or roll the dice to go for that Plus QB.

Fields has struggled but the Bears offense has been a dumpster fire. It was so bad, they traded for Claypool in desperation. Last year they brought in DJ Moore and the was the first real weapon Fields had to work with. He did show improvement.

I doubt the steelers would make such a move but it's not crazy. If they think Kenny's ceiling is a mid level game manager, then they have to make a move. Roll the dice with a draft pick or give Fields a shot. I prefer swinging and missing rather than this playing not to lose rut they've been in.