• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Kenny Pickett vs this Year's Heisman Finalists

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been seeing a lot of recency bias and revisionist history when it comes to talking about Kenny Pickett as a 1st round draft pick, so I decided to compare his senior year college stats to that of the 4 Heisman finalist who all happen to be QBs. You may be surprised to see the comparison.

I chose to use the Senior year only as Kenny's career numbers blow the rest of them out of the water.

When you Add Kenny Pickett to this list and compare all 5 QBs, the Heisman winner Caleb Williams, doesn't lead any stat category except fewest interceptions (tied with Max Duggan) and Rushing TDs. Caleb is 2nd in the most categories: Comp/Att/Yds/Y-Att/AY-Att/TDs/QBR/Rushes/Rush Yds. Conversely Caleb is not the worst in any stat.

Kenny would lead this group in Com/Att/Yds/TD. He's 2nd in completion % and is worst at interceptions. Kenny also leads with the most categories led with 4. Stroud and Duggan lead in 3 categories.

Stroud is last in 6 categories, Bennett is last in 4.

When I factor in Height and Weight, Kenny is tied with Stroud as the tallest, and is 1 pound lighter than Caleb who is the heaviest.

In Kenny's draft class he was tops in Height, Weight, Completions, Attempts, Yards, TDs, & QBR. He was 2nd in Completion % and fewest Ints thrown compared with the top 5 QBs last year Corral, Ridder, Howell, Willis

These are just stats. Do with them what you will, but in my view, KP is very comparable to this draft class and would still have a 1st round grade.

Here's the link to my Spreadsheet:

I just added the 2022 draft comparison with the top 5 QB prospects. A much more prolific rushing QB class, but KP's passing stats are that much more dominant vs the competition.

B b b but KP was a reach at 20 b b b oh **** another myth debunked.

How would he compare to Hendon Hooker, a guy favored for much of the year?

I've been seeing a lot of recency bias and revisionist history when it comes to talking about Kenny Pickett as a 1st round draft pick, so I decided to compare his senior year college stats to that of the 4 Heisman finalist who all happen to be QBs. You may be surprised to see the comparison.

I chose to use the Senior year only as Kenny's career numbers blow the rest of them out of the water.

When you Add Kenny Pickett to this list and compare all 5 QBs, the Heisman winner Caleb Williams, doesn't lead any stat category except fewest interceptions (tied with Max Duggan) and Rushing TDs. Caleb is 2nd in the most categories: Comp/Att/Yds/Y-Att/AY-Att/TDs/QBR/Rushes/Rush Yds. Conversely Caleb is not the worst in any stat.

Kenny would lead this group in Com/Att/Yds/TD. He's 2nd in completion % and is worst at interceptions. Kenny also leads with the most categories led with 4. Stroud and Duggan lead in 3 categories.

Stroud is last in 6 categories, Bennett is last in 4.

When I factor in Height and Weight, Kenny is tied with Stroud as the tallest, and is 1 pound lighter than Caleb who is the heaviest.

In Kenny's draft class he was tops in Height, Weight, Completions, Attempts, Yards, TDs, & QBR. He was 2nd in Completion % and fewest Ints thrown compared with the top 5 QBs last year Corral, Ridder, Howell, Willis

These are just stats. Do with them what you will, but in my view, KP is very comparable to this draft class and would still have a 1st round grade.

Here's the link to my Spreadsheet:

Why don’t you use his Senior stats?

203/332 61.1% 2408 7.3 y/a 6.8 ay/a 13td 9int 129.6 rating

Oh, you mean his second senior season. 👌

What is wrong with the stats he used? Didn't fit in the agenda? He showed enough combined with other posters showing his pre- draft value that simply debunked your reach theory.

Since when is height and weight a competition? I get prototypes, but being an inch taller and a pound heavier isn’t really a big deal.

What is wrong with the stats he used? Didn't fit in the agenda? He showed enough combined with other posters showing his pre- draft value that simply debunked your reach theory.
Well, you don’t know what any of this year’s finalists would do during their 5th year season. So maybe compare the academic year to Pickett’s academic year. But that wouldn’t fit the narrative.

Maybe we should compare Kenny Pickett to Brock Purdy.

There are teams every year doing more with less than the Steelers. Nobody on this board would take Purdy over Pickett. But the fact that Purdy is performing speaks to one of many glaring deficiencies in the Steelers organization.

There are teams every year doing more with less than the Steelers. Nobody on this board would take Purdy over Pickett. But the fact that Purdy is performing speaks to one of many glaring deficiencies in the Steelers organization.
Maybe not today but what about 3 years from now. Purdy has shown more in a half than KP has all year. Doesn’t matter where you start it matters where you finish. Draft status should mean zero to coaches and fans. Put the best player on the field.

What is the use at comparing anything with you when no matter what is thrown at you, you ignore it. As you couldn't be wrong.

Let's first admit Mason isn't a reliable starter. Or that he had a fair shake with his overall body of work in regards to being a starter and just isn't good enough.

Maybe we should start here.

I think stats are pretty irrelevant when evaluating prospects. Young is No. 1 in this class and Stroud is 2. Beyond that you are going on pure physical traits with Richardson and Levis, so Pickett may be the No. 3-5 QB in this class depending on what teams value.

Pre draft entry stats. I should have said sophomore stats for the one QB.

And Mason vs Kenny isn't really applicable to this argument, we're arguing why Kenny is a 1st round Draft pick and how he was cream of the crop last year and matches up favorably this year.

Maybe not today but what about 3 years from now. Purdy has shown more in a half than KP has all year. Doesn’t matter where you start it matters where you finish. Draft status should mean zero to coaches and fans. Put the best player on the field.
Put Purdy in the Steelers' offense and Pickett in San Francisco's. Roethlisberger, Rudolph, Trubisky, and Pickett and have been underwhelming for the Steelers. It is an offensive scheme that limits its playmakers without even considering what the opposition will do.

318803434_522877976440786_7481599739607992107_n.png

What is the use at comparing anything with you when no matter what is thrown at you, you ignore it. As you couldn't be wrong.

Let's first admit Mason isn't a reliable starter. Or that he had a fair shake with his overall body of work in regards to being a starter and just isn't good enough.

Maybe we should start here.
Your argument: on 2nd down in the 1st qtr KP has the highest QBR in the AFC North during Monday night football.
Me: he has a 74.9 quarterback rating and 4 tds to 8 ints.
You: You’re just cherry picking stats to fit your agenda.