• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Let the Hate Begin lol

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Mike Wallace: 'Renegade' no longer provides an edge for Steelers
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Email
comment
12:47 PM ET
Jamison Hensley
ESPN Staff Writer
OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- The Baltimore Ravens don't play at Heinz Field for four months, but it felt a little like Pittsburgh on Sunday, when the Ravens blasted the song "Renegade" on their speakers to start team drills.

The Styx song is the adopted anthem of the Pittsburgh Steelers and is often played at Heinz during the biggest moments of the game.

Ravens receiver Mike Wallace, a former Steelers player, doesn't think the Styx song "Renegade" provides that team with the same edge at Heinz Field that it used to. Mark Goldman/Icon Sportswire
But Ravens wide receiver Mike Wallace, who played his first four seasons in Pittsburgh, doesn't believe it provides the same edge as it did previously.

"I don't think it works for them as well anymore because everybody likes the song," Wallace said. "I think everybody gets hyped. At first, it kind of caught people off guard and it was an advantage for them. I don't think it's an advantage for them anymore."

ADVERTISEMENT

The Ravens typically play "Renegade" during training camp and their regular-season practices. Even though the 1979 hit song is often linked to the Steelers, Ravens coach John Harbaugh said it's on his playlist.

"It's a good song. Styx is a fine group," Harbaugh said. "I've always loved them. It might be their best song."

The Ravens will hear that song on Dec. 10, when they play at Pittsburgh. Does playing "Renegade" on Sunday get them thinking for that showdown?

"It's a long way away," Harbaugh said. "We have a lot of games before that. But, yeah, we enjoy that song."

For Harbaugh, it helps to enjoy that song when the Ravens have won four of their seven regular-season trips to Pittsburgh.

http://www.espn.com/blog/pittsburgh-steelers

I don't know if it gives them an edge either...At least the results haven't been there for the last handful or so seasons.

If Wallace is in that game, my guess is he gets laid out and is carted off the field.

Screw the rat turds and that god awful killing field city Baltimore.

b1113e0371b6a58e4fc729b5f54c98d1638b54f1a6ffcd0dfae05f076624c961.jpg

Dangerfield ought to get a spot... we need guys who can make those plays when the play is in front of them

Mike Wallace doesn't give the Steelers an edge either. Come to think, he doesn't give Baltimore an edge.

It's still cool, but the mystique is gone. They play it during preseason games for goodness sake.

The thinking that a song gives them an edge says more about the Steelers than anything Mike Wallace says.

The Styx song is the adopted anthem of the Pittsburgh Steelers and is often played at Heinz during the biggest moments of the game.
I always thought that was a pretty weak song to get pumped up to. "Crazy Train" during kickoffs lends itself to a little more adrenaline-pumping, IMO. Realistically, though, how does a 38 year-old song resonate with today's players? Not much - if at all, I think. It's probably more aimed to get the fans in the stands to get to waving their TT's. But the players? The majority listen to (c)rap in the weight room, probably. That's what gets their adrenaline going. If it were up to me, I'd blast something from Metallica's MoP album, say some "Damage, Inc." or "Disposable Heroes". Now there's some stuff to get you going....

Who the **** is Mike Wallace and what shithole team does he play for?????? The gayvens have taken the "copy cat" mode to a whole new level............. Hairball needs something to get up for after all he still has all pro LB terrel Suggs on his team........ Shlitsizzle.

Salute the nation

After Tommy Shaw played "Renegade" in Nashville for the SCF, the pedals are off the rose.

The Steelers need a new song!

If "Bodies" from Drowning Pool doesn't get you hyped up, you may be comatose.

Yeah gezz, that's the first time I remember that happening. Dumb.

At this point it is played every game as a part of the fan experience. People who traveled across the country to their first Steelers game want to hear Renegade.

I always thought that was a pretty weak song to get pumped up to. "Crazy Train" during kickoffs lends itself to a little more adrenaline-pumping, IMO. Realistically, though, how does a 38 year-old song resonate with today's players? Not much - if at all, I think. It's probably more aimed to get the fans in the stands to get to waving their TT's. But the players? The majority listen to (c)rap in the weight room, probably. That's what gets their adrenaline going. If it were up to me, I'd blast something from Metallica's MoP album, say some "Damage, Inc." or "Disposable Heroes". Now there's some stuff to get you going....

The song isn't for the players. Never was and never will be.

After Tommy Shaw played "Renegade" in Nashville for the SCF, the pedals are off the rose.

The Steelers need a new song!

If "Bodies" from Drowning Pool doesn't get you hyped up, you may be comatose.

"Lose Yourself" would be pretty bad ***! Is Eminem still a thing?

I don't think any of those songs make for a defensive highlight video as cool as Renegade.

Maybe something from One Direction would be awesome.