• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Maybe i've been wrong...and hope

diver

Reaction score
Let me preface this by saying I have always held players more responsible for the outcome of games than coaches. Players do the...playing. Not coaches. I have always felt it is a convenient place for players (and at the lower level, parents) to hide if the player just doesn't have it physically or mentally. Blame the coaches.

But I listened to the Williamson thing he does this morning and he stated a number of facts concerning Matt Canada, and holy shiit. Over the first 4 games of last year. I'll just state two. Evidently, if the Steelers were in the gun, they passed 92% of the time on 1st down, if under center, they ran 85% of the time. It always seemed the other teams knew what was coming, they were on it so fast, and now there is factual proof of that. So I guess to a large degree it was the coaching!

But they still had winning records the last three years. It defies logic when you hear the numbers. Which means that maybe Austin is a better DC than he is given credit for, in light of some of the injuries they have has on that side of the ball over the years. But the reason for hope is offensively, they have nowhere to go but up, and if the defense plays well they may really have something.

Let me preface this by saying I have always held players more responsible for the outcome of games than coaches. Players do the...playing. Not coaches. I have always felt it is a convenient place for players (and at the lower level, parents) to hide if the player just doesn't have it physically or mentally. Blame the coaches.

But I listened to the Williamson thing he does this morning and he stated a number of facts concerning Matt Canada, and holy shiit. Over the first 4 games of last year. I'll just state two. Evidently, if the Steelers were in the gun, they passed 92% of the time on 1st down, if under center, they ran 85% of the time. It always seemed the other teams knew what was coming, they were on it so fast, and now there is factual proof of that. So I guess to a large degree it was the coaching!

But they still had winning records the last three years. It defies logic when you hear the numbers. Which means that maybe Austin is a better DC than he is given credit for, in light of some of the injuries they have has on that side of the ball over the years. But the reason for hope is offensively, they have nowhere to go but up, and if the defense plays well they may really have something.
The kindergarten level of nonsense with this team for some years is idiotic. Leadership changes this. One of my Tomlin gripes.

Coaches do implement systems. Canada’s problem was he had a system designed for fast athletes. I think guys like Tyreek Hill and the like would work in his system.

The Steelers offensive personnel seems more in tune with 3 yards and a cloud of dust. More akin to the Cowher years

Let me preface this by saying I have always held players more responsible for the outcome of games than coaches. Players do the...playing. Not coaches.
Of course, the players have to execute, and I'd give their role 40-50% of the responsibility of the outcome of games. In your example, sometimes coaches really are that bad. Coaches make mistakes that impact the outcome of games just as some players' mistakes change the outcome.

Players win the games but there is a 10%-20% bump from the coaches. SB coached teams are not a coincidence. Tomlin would be perfectly fine if he could consistently get the right people in coordinator roles. He himself doesn't coach offense and he's mid at defense. In today's game you need a top offensive play caller as HC and then that job is taken care of and has continuity for the duration of the coaches tenure. Plus you have full accountability. The fact that Tomlin survived bringing back Canada last year is ludicrous.

Players win the games but there is a 10%-20% bump from the coaches. SB coached teams are not a coincidence. Tomlin would be perfectly fine if he could consistently get the right people in coordinator roles. He himself doesn't coach offense and he's mid at defense. In today's game you need a top offensive play caller as HC and then that job is taken care of and has continuity for the duration of the coaches tenure. Plus you have full accountability. The fact that Tomlin survived bringing back Canada last year is ludicrous.
Do you even expect Tomlin to change at this point of his career?

I think the roster is talented enough to make a push. It’s Tomlin holding them back.

Of course, the players have to execute, and I'd give their role 40-50% of the responsibility of the outcome of games. In your example, sometimes coaches really are that bad. Coaches make mistakes that impact the outcome of games just as some players' mistakes change the outcome.
Right. To make a ridiculous example, if Tomlin called a run up the middle every play because that is his game, then he is coaching a stupid game.

I think the roster is talented enough to make a push. It’s Tomlin holding them back.
Well they have some holes on the roster at receiver and Corner but yeah it wouod take a very good performance by A. Smith to avoid groundhog day after wildcard week.

Reactions: MTC

Nope.
Not a chance in hell.
Terrible Austin is retarded and cannot coach D.
See : Lions, Detroit.
See also : Bengals, Cincinnati.

Our star studded D is what "helps" his cred with us.

Nope.
Not a chance in hell.

Maybe. But he had a number of those stars out at various times the last few years. Hell, they had street guys playing safety last year.

Tomlin will not change his philosophy because he believes it is close enough to work, as shown in his regular season record. The issue is his keep it close and play ZERO RISK offense, doesn’t work in the playoffs against top tier teams. Also see his post season record. You can play zero risk and try and keep it close against non playoff teams because they make mistakes at a much higher rate. Legitimate playoff teams do not make as many mistakes to try and capitalize on, especially when you are backing into the playoffs and getting the #2 or #3 seed.

Tomlin will not change his philosophy because he believes it is close enough to work, as shown in his regular season record. The issue is his keep it close and play ZERO RISK offense, doesn’t work in the playoffs against top tier teams. Also see his post season record. You can play zero risk and try and keep it close against non playoff teams because they make mistakes at a much higher rate. Legitimate playoff teams do not make as many mistakes to try and capitalize on, especially when you are backing into the playoffs and getting the #2 or #3 seed.
Exactly

That info was widely available on this site last year.
So we all know that Tomlin is no Sun Tzu.
Many that supported Tomlin/coaches forgot this simply asinine stat that not only humbled the O, but burdened the D.

Nope.
Not a chance in hell.

ABSOLUTELY, take out the high end / held back / athletes and actually have to rely on scheme / coaching,…. We would be a little more lost than we are now.

Thanks for all your great post(s) fedderone, appreciate them.

Salute the nation

That info was widely available on this site last year.
So we all know that Tomlin is no Sun Tzu.
Many that supported Tomlin/coaches forgot this simply asinine stat that not only humbled the O, but burdened the D.

I’m pretty sure I gave out some very near %s at the time. It was crazy how predictable we were, add in the telegraphing of player personell vs play called to that package……….. defense knew overwhelmingly what the call was.

Salute the nation

Coaches do implement systems. Canada’s problem was he had a system designed for fast athletes. I think guys like Tyreek Hill and the like would work in his system.

The Steelers offensive personnel seems more in tune with 3 yards and a cloud of dust. More akin to the Cowher years
I dunno Canada was over his head and I think he would have been outmatched on whatever NFL team he would have coached. That cat was the worse coordinator that I have seen in some time…

Canada was unqualified to be an NFL OC. He did not have a great track record in college, with one solid season and one very good season as OC. The rest weren't particularly strong, so it's no surprise he failed and he'll never get an NFL OC job again...probably never get a major college OC job again either.

Since you mentioned Austin, he isn't as be as some believe he is, but he's not great either. Playing Fitzpatrick out of position last year and taking away his biggest strength was just dumb.

Canada was unqualified to be an NFL OC. He did not have a great track record in college, with one solid season and one very good season as OC. The rest weren't particularly strong, so it's no surprise he failed and he'll never get an NFL OC job again...probably never get a major college OC job again either.

Since you mentioned Austin, he isn't as be as some believe he is, but he's not great either. Playing Fitzpatrick out of position last year and taking away his biggest strength was just dumb.

I hear yaz 448, Canada aside, Austin isn’t the DC that this team deserves.

Some will say it’s all Tomlin behind the scenes and that may be partially true, but Austin is still accountable to the DC job. His past is not that great, where is his innovative-ness……. Same crap same defense. Beat over the middle by a TE. 2DL continuously and even in short yardage situations. TJ Watt not coached up (JJ had to do in season coaching up).

One thing though, Austin does present a pretty good interview. Articulate, but needs to up his Austin-isms.

Salute the nation

I hear yaz 448, Canada aside, Austin isn’t the DC that this team deserves.

Some will say it’s all Tomlin behind the scenes and that may be partially true, but Austin is still accountable to the DC job. His past is not that great, where is his innovative-ness……. Same crap same defense. Beat over the middle by a TE. 2DL continuously and even in short yardage situations. TJ Watt not coached up (JJ had to do in season coaching up).

One thing though, Austin does present a pretty good interview. Articulate, but needs to up his Austin-isms.

Salute the nation
The D has been pretty much the same since LeBeau left. What has been the one constant with the D since then? Tomlin and his weak assed Tampa 2 defense and that 1 DL set

Me thinky you givva the guy eating green crayons and asking why they taste blue too much credit, don’t think having 4 Hills would fix him

The defense looks exactly the same every year. It's kinda good early and crashes late.

The same expoited weaknesses every year,scrub qb's exploit them, bad teams beat them.

A little more creativity in the pass rush and they damn sure need to address the middle of the field.

I am hopeful some of these new linebackers can remedy that.

Maybe. But he had a number of those stars out at various times the last few years. Hell, they had street guys playing safety last year.
Maybe.
But the Steelers aren't the only team that dealt with injuries.
Yeah, it's next man up, but when injuries occur and your backups come in, this is exactly when coaching and scheme are critical.