• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

perspective

warriors42

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't start a lot of threads, never have but I was sitting here watching my wife and oldest grand daughter making Christmas cookies. I am reading this board and pissing and moaning about what was happening to this team when SaraKate comes over and gives me a big hug and says it's just a game pawpaw {12 years old}. she tells me how much she loves me and goes back to her Christmas cookies. talk about putting **** into perspective.

This got me to thinking: I posted in another thread how before Noll our coaches lasted about two years. Dan Rooney and Chuck Noll gave this team an Identity, they created a winning tradition. Noll leaves and Bill Cowher picks up that tradition and carries it on. Along come Art ll and Tomlin and this team no longer has an Identity.

Where we once didn't know how to lose, it now seems we don't know how to win. The days of they left too much time on the clock are long gone.

Ronald Reagan once said we are one generation away from ******* **** up. (I'm paraphrasing) well here we are the next generation. ART ll.

Thinking about this team after my grand daughter schooled me. I realized I can't hold coach T responsible anymore (or let it **** with my emotions.) Don't get me wrong I think he is a terrible coach and HAS to go but this **** show rest solely at the feet of the Deuce, he and he alone has the power to fix things and if he continues to allow Mike T to coach this team and continue to Mike speak... well how can you hold Tomlin responsible for that. It would be like paying and rewarding one of your kids for being a terrible child without any consequences and then wonder why they are doing so poorly at life.

From this point on I blame Art ll way more than Tomlin. I don't know how this minority owner thing works but you would think they could all get together and oust Art ll as the man in charge, as I understand it the Rooney's only own 36% of this team now, that means the minority owns the majority. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but something has to change in the front office before anything changes on the field.

I agree with you and yes your priorities are your family first always first.
They are what’s important rather than Art Rooney II who has become a billionaire thanks to the NFL.
Art II who inherited the team is a lawyer by profession and a businessman and certainly not a true football man with the passion of his father.
Tomlin is his guy and it doesn’t matter what we Steeler fans think as long as the money keeps rolling in.
The Steeler era of greatness has come and gone, the Steeler culture is non existent, the players are all about themselves and their stats and their money and brand.
You have a silver tongued head coach who has become a sports media darling because of his bs cliches. All his shortcomings which there are many and are overlooked and that’s where we are today.
So my advice is to hug your grandkids and enjoy life and eat some of those Christmas cookies and blow off Art II because he’s blown you and me off.

Last edited:
I don't start a lot of threads, never have but I was sitting here watching my wife and oldest grand daughter making Christmas cookies. I am reading this board and pissing and moaning about what was happening to this team when SaraKate comes over and gives me a big hug and says it's just a game pawpaw {12 years old}. she tells me how much she loves me and goes back to her Christmas cookies. talk about putting **** into perspective.

This got me to thinking: I posted in another thread how before Noll our coaches lasted about two years. Dan Rooney and Chuck Noll gave this team an Identity, they created a winning tradition. Noll leaves and Bill Cowher picks up that tradition and carries it on. Along come Art ll and Tomlin and this team no longer has an Identity.

Where we once didn't know how to lose, it now seems we don't know how to win. The days of they left too much time on the clock are long gone.

Ronald Reagan once said we are one generation away from ******* **** up. (I'm paraphrasing) well here we are the next generation. ART ll.

Thinking about this team after my grand daughter schooled me. I realized I can't hold coach T responsible anymore (or let it **** with my emotions.) Don't get me wrong I think he is a terrible coach and HAS to go but this **** show rest solely at the feet of the Deuce, he and he alone has the power to fix things and if he continues to allow Mike T to coach this team and continue to Mike speak... well how can you hold Tomlin responsible for that. It would be like paying and rewarding one of your kids for being a terrible child without any consequences and then wonder why they are doing so poorly at life.

From this point on I blame Art ll way more than Tomlin. I don't know how this minority owner thing works but you would think they could all get together and oust Art ll as the man in charge, as I understand it the Rooney's only own 36% of this team now, that means the minority owns the majority. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but something has to change in the front office before anything changes on the field.
Spot on !
We’re doing the same Christmas cookie thingy here today…and believe it or not my 4 year old granddaughter just handed me the first pizzelle off the iron for my traditional go or no go taste test!

Happy holidays all!
😁😁

A few of us have been saying this for a while now. I agree 100%. The problem is Rooney is making $$$$$ and so he is happy with the status quo.

I was making cookies with my 6 year old Grandson this morning and he said to me...."it's ok Pappy. Head Coach Mike T will take them back to the lab and raise hell." I told him, "Damien. the Steelers haven't won a playoff game since you started breathing!" What the hell does he know....

I believe most of issues for Steelers ar of an DC coordinators.
Seems injuries always sets us back especially now on the defense.
As far as OC I’d like to see Jon Gruden or possibly Leftwich anyone have any thoughts?

You guys are making me sad because I have no grand kids (yet) to make me cookies and pretzels at Christmas time. Stop it, just stop it, 🥺. Now if you excuse me, gotta do my morning check for little kids on my front lawn.

As far as OC I’d like to see Jon Gruden or possibly Leftwich anyone have any thoughts?
That’s a big old no to both of those choices.

You guys are making me sad because I have no grand kids (yet) to make me cookies and pretzels at Christmas time. Stop it, just stop it, 🥺. Now if you excuse me, gotta do my morning check for little kids on my front lawn.
I have said many times that you should be able to skip passed being a parent and go straight to grand parent it's freaking awesome. I love all my grand kids (9) but my best friends are my 11 year old grand son and his 4 year old brother. just took the 4 year old deer hunting for the first time this year. when he finally saw a deer I thought he was gonna jump out of the shooting house. I almost peed myself laughing at him. he was yelling at the top of his lungs "shoot him pawpaw"

I would take Todd Haley back before those guys. But I would settle for someone that is just competent.

I believe Mike Tomlin is a good man who gives the best of himself to the organization every day, his place in Steeler lore is secure, he is a Super Bowl champion

His time has come to move on, this is a team in decline for a long time on his watch, he gets paid millions of dollars to coach a flagship NFL blue blood franchise and is not producing. This is not some guy coaching at a mid major D1 college with limited resources, living paycheck to paycheck, there is no excuse for the last 7 years at a premier job like this with every resource available to him. He easily has the worst coaching staff in the league- 100% by his own choosing. He is financially set for life.

Just like Bruce Arians a change of scenery could lead to greatness again, but he is done here, Cowher had the grace to realize when his time was done, we will see if Tomlin does too or if Rooney has the guts to decide for him, I have my doubts

All future failure now falls on Rooney if he continues to tolerate this

I believe Mike Tomlin is a good man who gives the best of himself to the organization every day, his place in Steeler lore is secure, he is a Super Bowl champion

His time has come to move on, this is a team in decline for a long time on his watch, he gets paid millions of dollars to coach a flagship NFL blue blood franchise and is not producing. This is not some guy coaching at a mid major D1 college with limited resources, living paycheck to paycheck, there is no excuse for the last 7 years at a premier job like this with every resource available to him. He easily has the worst coaching staff in the league- 100% by his own choosing. He is financially set for life.

Just like Bruce Arians a change of scenery could lead to greatness again, but he is done here, Cowher had the grace to realize when his time was done, we will see if Tomlin does too or if Rooney has the guts to decide for him, I have my doubts

All future failure now falls on Rooney if he continues to tolerate this
I really think it odd that no extension was given prior to this season.
Art II always extend Tomlin with two years left so wondering if something going on here behind the scenes.
I wonder if it’s Tomlin who may be retiring after 24 therefore didn’t want an extension? Idk, but something seems amiss here with this situation.

I Looked up to the nights sky in western pa.
A spot light cut thru the night. My eyes followed it to its end...blue,red and gold diamond like shapes faintly twinkled in the north.

In a large parking lot in the shadow of a stadium, headlights start pulling in to a empty lot each driver quietly exits the vehicle and purposely walks to the left of the stadium. One after the other cars pull in, people walk to the left no talking, no waiting around.

I found myself parking and walking without thinking about what was happening or where I was heading or why.
As I got closer I smelled cigars and soon saw the red glow of a cigar being puffed on.
Assembled in a small circular area with a statue in the back were the smokers, as I broke the plane of the entrance, I was stopped by a arm infront of me with a big cigar in its hand. I quickly realized It was being offered to me. I took it and put it in my mouth and like magic a flame appears,as I puff to light , I see through the flames light the face of a iconic defensive player. I scanned the area my night vision starting to adjust...I saw the outline of a cowboy hat and realized I was among a meeting of Steeler greats gathered around a statue of Art Rooney.
Then a distinguished figure breaks the silence, standing in front of the statue.
Thank you all for comming
The family needs your guidance.
Heads nodded.........

I have said many times that you should be able to skip passed being a parent and go straight to grand parent it's freaking awesome. I love all my grand kids (9) but my best friends are my 11 year old grand son and his 4 year old brother. just took the 4 year old deer hunting for the first time this year. when he finally saw a deer I thought he was gonna jump out of the shooting house. I almost peed myself laughing at him. he was yelling at the top of his lungs "shoot him pawpaw"
I was hoping to be a grandfather by now...my daughter went in on Thursday to be induced...she had some issues with high blood pressure so the idea was to get the baby out at 38 weeks. Well, that didn't pan out. She was in the hospital for 3 days, and not much happened, so they sent her home. I was figuring that by April my granddaughter should be able to hold a fishing rod and cast, right? But these delays are cutting it close.

When I was younger, and dumber, I would be pissed for days after a loss. I am now a grandfather to a 4 year old, a 2 year old and a not yet 1 year old. Kids came over last weekend and there was a snoozer of a game on so I let them change the channel, then other games came on and this one was better, the 4 year old (Kennedy) said "I don't like this) referring to what's on the TV. I said this is a football house on Sundays kiddo, the last.game was a blowout so you lucked out, but this one is good, so you're outta luck." They have a 43 inch in the playroom/guest room they can watch whatever Frozen/Baby Shark/ Fresh hell.of the moment" on, but the 83 inch oled is for football, and to let me see the current state of the Steelers ineptness in damn near life size. All that being said, family and friends are all part of life, just like football, but if I'm sick or sad, Tomlin and co isn't going to give two ***** about it, but the family and friends will be there, and that's what's important.

Joe

I am old enough to remember the '70s well, especially from '76 on. I remember slightly '74 and '75, but during SB10 against the Cowboys and Swann made that catch, I ended up out in the back yard throwing the ball over the wire, trying to do that catch. I didn't quite realize the game keeps going, and the next thing I remember was Glen Edwards pick in the endzone to seal it. Anyway, the point is I always said I want them to win one when I was an adult, figuring I'd appreciate it more, and once they won in '05 and '08 the passion subsided some. Life has also impacted that a lot, it doesn't seem as important when you begin burying parents, cousins and friends. But no doubt the teams they have put out there the last number of years...who do you really like? Back in the day Franco and Lambert, just to name 2, Greg Lloyd and Rod Woodson in the 90s, or Troy and Hines more recently, you could really get behind those guys. I don't really like anyone on these present teams that much. Just TJ Watt. Not multiple guys like in the past.

To me the hardest thing for the Rooneys to admit is that they are wrong snd fans are right. Team is at crossroads (well they ignored crossroads for years) throw good money after bad or plot a new course

I am old enough to remember the '70s well, especially from '76 on. I remember slightly '74 and '75, but during SB10 against the Cowboys and Swann made that catch, I ended up out in the back yard throwing the ball over the wire, trying to do that catch. I didn't quite realize the game keeps going, and the next thing I remember was Glen Edwards pick in the endzone to seal it. Anyway, the point is I always said I want them to win one when I was an adult, figuring I'd appreciate it more, and once they won in '05 and '08 the passion subsided some. Life has also impacted that a lot, it doesn't seem as important when you begin burying parents, cousins and friends. But no doubt the teams they have put out there the last number of years...who do you really like? Back in the day Franco and Lambert, just to name 2, Greg Lloyd and Rod Woodson in the 90s, or Troy and Hines more recently, you could really get behind those guys. I don't really like anyone on these present teams that much. Just TJ Watt. Not multiple guys like in the past.

I mirror most of that. I find myself indifferent to the team at the moment. It's the product of the last 10+ years and knowing they're not going to reach the level needed to be the best. Not with this coaching staff.

The problems with OC & DC are 100% because of the Head Coach, his philosophy and directions. These coordinators do not have the leeway to do as they think best, as the issues have remained through other coordinators.

Watched the game last night with my 76-year-old dad, and my 15-year-old son. In the not-too-distant past, I'd be really bummed out about a Steelers' loss like that, but now it's more about enjoying the time spent with three generations of family. We had a good time together in spite of the outcome of the game, and that's what is most important to me these days. Pops won't be around forever.