• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Sean Davis to see a reduced work load?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I suggested this a while back and according to a recent Steeler Depot article where the it was mentioned the coaching staff is talking about it, it might happen

Winning is the most important thing. Dangerfield and Williams need more playing time. Our bend but don't break defense is mostly working vs the caliber of teams we played. With this type of defense tackling well is a must.

I love the energy and tackling ability of Dangerfield and Williams. Burns has done some good things and needs more playing time too. And Chickillo might help the pass rush. The right ingredients are finally being mixed in. Even though Heyward and Shazier are out, this is the best I have felt about the future of the defense for the season.

I suggested this a while back and according to a recent Steeler Depot article where the it was mentioned the coaching staff is talking about it, it might happen

Winning is the most important thing. Dangerfield and Williams need more playing time. Our bend but don't break defense is mostly working vs the caliber of teams we played. With this type of defense tackling well is a must.

I love the energy and tackling ability of Dangerfield and Williams. Burns has done some good things and needs more playing time too. And Chickillo might help the pass rush. The right ingredients are finally being mixed in. Even though Heyward and Shazier are out, this is the best I have felt about the future of the defense for the season.

I am sure Tomlin and his staff read the threads on this board all the time......obviously they read how you have coached peewee football and have taken your advice of cutting Davis' playing into consideration.

Suggested??? You have basically panned Davis shouldn't be on this team. Yet state winning is the most important, and with this defense tackling is a must, but still demand changes. I think the coaches know far more about the players than you in performing and I'll defer to their decision....since, after all they are winning. If you read the quotes from the coaches, they are reducing Davis role in corner packages and allowing him to concentrate more on safety packages. Seems smart now that they have enough corner bodies. Your prose is really getting tiresome.

He was playing two positions out of necessity, he helped the team as a rookie in a time of need. Now if he can concentrate in one position to learn his crafts I bet he will improve even faster. Good move by the coaching staff

I never said cut Davis. I'm just pointing out a few things I did not like in his game and felt the coaches were trying to make something that was not there...other players would have been a better choice. The reduced playing time if it happens says I was correct In hindsight.

If Chickillo has a good game again, I won't start a thread on him for Monday. Deal. And this could be exhibit B.

Exhibit C that Williams should take some of Timmons snaps might not happen due to locality, but if Williams keeps playing like this, it should.

I never said cut Davis. I'm just pointing out a few things I did not like in his game and felt the coaches were trying to make something that was not there...other players would have been a better choice. The reduced playing time if it happens says I was correct In hindsight.

If Chickillo has a good game again, I won't start a thread on him for Monday. Deal. And this could be exhibit B.

Exhibit C that Williams should take some of Timmons snaps might not happen due to locality, but if Williams keeps playing like this, it should.

Of course timmons will lose snaps, thats why they didn't give him an extension, they know there's a good alternative waiting that is way cheaper

Coach continued to grind his narrative as hard as he could. Any information about Sean Davis was an opportunity to force-feed the "Sean Davis" sucks propaganda down the other Steelernation poster's throats. He had done this time and time again. The problem was, it seems Coach hadn't yet realized the other members of the forum were on to his gambit. Was he misunderstanding their responses? Or was he simply ignoring the other's reasoning so as to never admit he was wrong. The forum had grown tired of his tunnel vision, and inability to offer anything other than straw man arguments. Soon a rebellion would begin, and it would affect each and everyone of the thousands of threads Coach posted monthly. This is the story of Coach.

Tune in next week as POP the Patriot loving poster continues to deny his true allegiance, and fails miserably.

Of course timmons will lose snaps, thats why they didn't give him an extension, they know there's a good alternative waiting that is way cheaper

Yes but the player to replace him needs to be as good or better than Timmons is now. Williams has shown he is in the past few games.

Based on what I've seen lately:

Dangerfield or Godlen > Davis

Chickillo > Jones. At least as a pas rusher

Williams is even with or soon > Timmons.

We shall see if the coaches see things the way I saw them before changes are made.

Two out of three ain't bad. could be three for three.

Yes but the player to replace him needs to be as good or better than Timmons is now. Williams has shown he is in the past few games.

Based on what I've seen lately:

Dangerfield or Godlen > Davis

Agree and they should be. Both have more experience.

Chickillo > Jones. At least as a pas rusher

Neither have impressed much in this department so far.

Williams is even with or soon > Timmons.

Williams could have been starting for a couple of seasons now. He gives up something in pass coverage, but he is one of the hardest hitters on the team.

Regarding the original post, I'm glad to see Burns stepping up and earning more time on the field. That is what you expect from a first round pick and hopefully he continues to improve and develop into the No. 1 corner they drafted him to be. So far, the early returns have been good.

Davis is young. He'll get better and plays safety decent

but ... you. do. not. watch. games.

The reason his role is being reduced is because the other rookie you said was raw and questioned the Steelers picking him when they did and flat out called him a reach is coming on..Artie Burns is playing very well and has earned a promotion. That forces Gay to the slot so burns can play on the outside. The only reason Davis was playing slot CB was because Burns had a slow start in camp and preseason. Now that he is earning more playing time Davis can play his natural position. So while you try to pat yourself on the back remember you also called Burns a raw reach. But of course you won't admit that part . Even though Davis demotion is not for poor play. Burns is balling and deserves some more playing time

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...rtie-burns-expecting-increased-role-dolphins/

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...side-questions-sean-davis-role-going-forward/

Question: What is Sean Davis’ role moving forward?

When the Pittsburgh Steelers opened the season, they did so with the prospect of rookie second-round defensive back logging upwards of 700 or more snaps as their designated slot cornerback, a role that was somewhat thrust upon him due to circumstances.

Though he was drafted to be a safety, his versatility with having played cornerback in college put him in play in the slot, and when their intended slot defender, Senquez Golson, suffered a foot injury, Davis was the next man up.

This was part of the domino effect of being unprepared to field a pair of boundary corners that they could rely upon that did not include William Gay. But since then, the coaching staff has determined that Artie Burns, the rookie first-round cornerback, is ready to step in as their outside defender in the nickel, pushing Gay into the slot.

The coaching staff has voiced its belief that they would probably like to scale things back for Davis, likely meaning limiting him to playing one position if they could help it. He played extensively, primarily as a slot defender, as recently as on Sunday, but his role is inevitably changing.

It is not even altogether clear if he would be part of the team’s dime or quarter package, considering that safety Jordan Dangerfield has done a commendable job stepping in at Robert Golden’s spot. In their quarter package earlier this year, Davis would step into Golden’s role as he slides into the box.

Dangerfield could serve that function, or be the defender who slides into the box, in the quarter package, but the Steelers could also make more use of four-cornerback looks, which they have dabbled with in the past two weeks, now that they are comfortable with where Justin Gilbert is.

Adding all of this up, it’s not altogether clear that there is any obvious path toward playing time right now for Davis, and certainly no obvious need to play him. Like Shamarko Thomas in his rookie season, he could go from playing fairly often to not playing at all.

The reason his role is being reduced is because the other rookie you said was raw and questioned the Steelers picking him when they did and flat out called him a reach is coming on..Artie Burns is playing very well and has earned a promotion. That forces Gay to the slot so burns can play on the outside. The only reason Davis was playing slot CB was because Burns had a slow start in camp and preseason. Now that he is earning more playing time Davis can play his natural position. So while you try to pat yourself on the back remember you also called Burns a raw reach. But of course you won't admit that part . Even though Davis demotion is not for poor play. Burns is balling and deserves some more playing time

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...rtie-burns-expecting-increased-role-dolphins/

You are mixing apples with oranges. Burns is a corner, Davis a Safety. Other safeties have passed Davis. He's not good enough right now to play nickel or dime. This is a demotion.

Thomas is better on special teams. Davis value is? We shall see. If Thomas comes back healthy Davis might not even dress.

The reason why is explained to you and you still say some dumb ****.. read the article. It makes perfect sense that if Burns is playing better you move Gay to the slot. Nothing to do with Davis and everything to do with Burns

The reason why is explained to you and you still say some dumb ****.. read the article. It makes perfect sense that if Burns is playing better you move Gay to the slot. Nothing to do with Davis and everything to do with Burns

Get a clue! He's not good enough to play right now. duh Dangerfield has passed Davis. Duh. And Thomas is better on special teams

Davis is our 5th most valuable safety on the team and because you're being a dick about it , I do not think he will lead the team in missed tackles this season because he'll be on he bunch unless injury hits.

Still feel the same way about Williams and Chickilo after today? With the lone exception being Harrison, our outside linebackers are complete, utter dog ****. Not a single one of them sets the edge to stop the god damn run, and they are constantly leaving wide open rushing lanes. And today, as well as the Philly game, Williams was running around blockers instead of taking them on and blowing up his running lanes. We talk a lot of **** about the defensive backs (Gay was pathetic today by the way) but our linebackers are just flat out bad.