• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers Defense Is A Top Five Defense

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, so maybe clickbait. But, the Steelers defense is a top 5 defense in the only category that matters to me; scoring. This defense, which has seen injuries to key players all season long is allowing an average of only 19 points per game. I know some will say "But, they're 25th in total defense. They give up over 350 yards/game." I don't care. Their job is to keep the other team from scoring; which they have done better than 28 teams in the league.
OH, and Minkah comes back this week!

I would like to see our D get more 3 and outs. Would help our offense on a shorter field and give themselves a breather at times.

I would like to see our D get more 3 and outs. Would help our offense on a shorter field and give themselves a breather at times.
Fair enough. And if that were to happen, it might move them up into the top 3 or 4 defenses in scoring.
Dino brings up a good point on the offense's T.O.P. rating. It's bad. However, if they can continue to play like they did on Sunday, that gives the defense a breather also. And, it might actually impact the amount of 3 and outs the defense is able to generate. Complimentary football is a beautiful thing when it's accomplished.

Other team has the ball a lot because our offense has been a 3 and out machine
Ding ding ding!
We have a winner!

How about yards and points per possession? That's the true measure, and still doesn't account for exhaustion but is closer to a true parameter to evaluate Defenses

Like last week when the O controlled the clock and the D which has been averaging over 60 plays a game, last week they only were on the field for 41. Biggest reason? Ball Control and No 3 & Outs. That's how you limit yardage in the NFL, so defensive yardage can be a skewed stat dependent on your offensive efficiency.

How about yards and points per possession? That's the true measure, and still doesn't account for exhaustion but is closer to a true parameter to evaluate Defenses
Points allowed is it for me. If your defense is top 5, hell, top 10 in that category and you have a losing record, then your offense obviously sucks or is mediocre at best.
Yards can be a product of your offense going 3 and out a lot. Thus giving the other, more effective, offense a chance to pile up yards (we've seen that one).
Points per possession is a good one. I haven't looked, but considering how many times our offense has gone 3 and out and given the ball back to the other team, I'd wager that the Steelers rank pretty high in that category also.
But, still, to me, it comes down to points allowed. Score more points than the other team and you win. So, if you have a stingy defense ...

Points allowed is it for me. If your defense is top 5, hell, top 10 in that category and you have a losing record, then your offense obviously sucks or is mediocre at best.
Yards can be a product of your offense going 3 and out a lot. Thus giving the other, more effective, offense a chance to pile up yards (we've seen that one).
Points per possession is a good one. I haven't looked, but considering how many times our offense has gone 3 and out and given the ball back to the other team, I'd wager that the Steelers rank pretty high in that category also.
But, still, to me, it comes down to points allowed. Score more points than the other team and you win. So, if you have a stingy defense ...
That's why I want all my stats per possession.

Many yards even if they dont score means less Time of Possession for your offense. So both ypp and ppp are important to see the best Defense

Like last week when the O controlled the clock and the D which has been averaging over 60 plays a game, last week they only were on the field for 41. Biggest reason? Ball Control and No 3 & Outs. That's how you limit yardage in the NFL, so defensive yardage can be a skewed stat dependent on your offensive efficiency.
It also helps when the opposing Qb is Jake from State Farm.

This week will be a much more challenging task.

I have cried for per/ possession stats since the 90’s
it just make so much sense…

I also believe that Fumble return and Interception return yardage behind the LOS should count as negative yardage for the D stats.. so if the los is tge 20 and you pick off a pass at tge ten and return it for a td, that should be -80 yards towards your passing yard totals..

So, going hand-in-hand with that philosophy, our Offense is still bottom of the league, as we are at a pathetic 16 PPG, in the bottom 3 in scoring points. Of course, we are all semi-optimistic that that # will increase sans Canada, but is hadn't yet as we scored exactly our average of 16 PPG last game (but improved significantly in yards, 1st 400 yard output since Canada was hired, albeit vs one of the worst Ds in the NFL). If we keep the 400 yards of offense going, we are bound to increase our points scored.

Of course, we are all semi-optimistic that that # will increase sans Canada, but is hadn't yet as we scored exactly our average of 16 PPG last game (but improved significantly in yards, 1st 400 yard output since Canada was hired, albeit vs one of the worst Ds in the NFL).

You know that Dr. Pepper commercial where the college football fans are freaking out, saying the season is over, burning team memorabilia, screaming about how terrible the team is ...

And the one fan points out, "Guys, it's the first play of the season"?

That's how I feel about the obsession with the 16 scored this past Sunday. The Steelers dominated the game. 37 minutes TOP, 153 rushing yards, 268 passing yards, ZERO three-and-outs, moving up and down the field, even without the defense getting a turnover in plus field position. An offense that does that will score points.

A little perspective...

That wasn't Joe Burrow last week.

The Browns were playing their 5th string QB the week before.

When we played a top tier team like the Niners, we got lit up.

Probly more I haven't thought about.

Just want the D to get healthy and stay that way, and hope the O continues to improve.

That's how I feel about the obsession with the 16 scored this past Sunday. The Steelers dominated the game. 37 minutes TOP, 153 rushing yards, 268 passing yards, ZERO three-and-outs, moving up and down the field, even without the defense getting a turnover in plus field position. An offense that does that will score points.
It should but it's not like there isn't a history with this QB, head coach and offense not scoring points. There definitely is. We've seen lack of redzone scoring for a LONG time now. No one can really say it isn't an inherent trait with this group so far. Yes, we have a new OC, but the head coach and QB remain.

A little perspective...

That wasn't Joe Burrow last week.

The Browns were playing their 5th string QB the week before.

When we played a top tier team like the Niners, we got lit up.

Probly more I haven't thought about.

Just want the D to get healthy and stay that way, and hope the O continues to improve.
I want the DC fired too

I think.its a far better defense than listed. But some of the stats do not lie. I'd like to see them dictate more frequently and they have a bad habit of being passive on third and long. Especially against inexperienced guys. Dictate it. Look what happened to Cleveland when the Broncos brought it. They folded like a cheap suit.

It should but it's not like there isn't a history with this QB, head coach and offense not scoring points. There definitely is. We've seen lack of redzone scoring for a LONG time now. No one can really say it isn't an inherent trait with this group so far. Yes, we have a new OC, but the head coach and QB remain.

Yeah, I get it, but the same HC was around when the Steelers scored 428 points in 2018 (tied for 6th best), 2nd in passing yards and 4th in total yards.

It's been one game with the new OC/playcaller. ONE. That game led to the best offensive showing since, what, 2020?

to start - just stop the slot receiver slant for 10 yards! lol.