• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers select CB Artie Burns - Miami

From a human standpoint, there's a lot going on with him.

Dad's serving a 25-year sentence for cocaine trafficking. Mom dies of a heart attack at 44. Two younger brothers to take care of (I doubt they come to Pittsbrugh with him however, so who knows what's going to happen with them). He has a child out of wedlock.

Lots of peripheral things in his life. Hope he's up to the task of becoming a professional athlete.

Spike read this then tell me what a ****** pick this was. The link goes to game tape and analysis.

Film Room: Artie Burns’ Playmaking Ability
> http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/04/film-room-artie-burns-playmaking-ability/

Earlier, we covered some of the press man principles we’re seeing more out of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ defense. And how Artie Burns’ length comes at a major advantage, allowing the team do more of that – and more effectively – with him on the field.

But he’s also a playmaker with plus ball skills. Six interceptions last year speaks to that, especially for a young guy starting in his second season. The Steelers targeted playmakers last draft and that trend has held up through this draft class.

How can Burns’ skillset mesh with the Steelers’ scheme? His ability to process information quickly and strong lower half to explode out and drive downhill. That works perfectly for some of the Steelers’ trap coverages.

Gotta buy a ticket to win the lottery. Knowing how young he is, how relatively inexperienced he is – three years playing, two years starting – his mental game is pretty advanced. When you get a guy who can definitely make plays on the football, you have something to get excited about.

144th rated guy in the draft by PFF and we take him 25th. Don't like it. Hope I'm wrong, but really don't like it.

I'm not happy with the pick, but many mocks had Burns going to us, KC, or others. He is raw, yes, but so is Apple, and WJIII. Hell, WJIII is super raw. I would have rather had WJIII, but whatever. If we can get a ss, olb, of DL in rd 2 maybe we can all feel better.

I not real thrilled either..

I was hoping for any of the three D-Line men....Robinson or Reed from Alabama or Billings..

My hope in the second round is Justin Simmons - Safety - BC

You don't kick a game winning field goal at 2 minutes with a chance to run the clock down to 3sec. Just because you don't have a trade offer when your pick starts, doesn't mean you won't get a phone call 5 minutes in.

Also running up to the podium every ******* year creates a trend where no team will make you an offer since they think you will just run up for your pick. It's a poor strategy and a poor trend that is self created.

Wait!! Are you saying that Tomlin has time management issues? LOL.

Spike read this then tell me what a ****** pick this was.

It was a ****** pick - we don't play press man coverage - we play ZONE

and I don't care about his backstory - we need starting CB talent right away - not some feel good story to tell the grandkids

Last edited:
Quit whining about the pick. People on here would have said the same thing if Apple would have been our pick at 25 and he was a top 10 pick. Burns is our guy and we will be happy to have him.. He already is better than any CB on the team.
Exactly. Our secondary had more holes than swiss cheese. We finally do something about it. Both Apple and WJIII are just as raw as Burns. Neither were on the board when we picked, so it doesn't matter what we thought about those guys. Instead of saluting the pick, we're seeing the Debbie Downers out in full force before the kid's even stepped on the field. To me he is the same upside pick of a young, very athletic guy like Shazier was. I'm stoked we've added him to the mix.

Wonderful

Pro Football Focus‏@PFF
Artie Burns was the No. 144 player on the PFF board. The Steelers took him at No. 25. @PFF_ give the Steelers a D

144th rated guy in the draft by PFF and we take him 25th. Don't like it. Hope I'm wrong, but really don't like it.

You realize that PFF also gave us the same D grade last year when we selected Bud Dupree? So you would have agreed with that assessment last year, correct? PFF can have their opinions, doesn't make it right or even credible.

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...r-bud-dupree-despite-lack-of-proper-coaching/

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/05/01/2015-draft-in-review-pittsburgh-steelers/

It's not just one site - it's everyone

and it's not just me - everyone is gagging at this reach

25. Pittsburgh Steelers: CB Artie Burns – Our least favorite pick to this point of the draft. Yes, Burns is a long-armed press corner with passion and he has overcome a lot in his life to get to this level. But there are teams that have stamped fourth-round grades on Burns, and he might not ever be better than a solid No. 3 corner. There were many better options here – perhaps in the front seven. Grade: D+

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/round-1-s-grades-for-2016-nfl-draft-042443575.html

It was a ****** pick - we don't play press man coverage - we play ZONE
Now, now Spike, you didn't read the article.

Keith Butler sprinkled this into his defense last year, and has leaned on it as his go-to plays in crucial spots.

Butler ran this four straight times on the final defensive stand against the Broncos.

Our D is as hybrid as they come, evidently you haven't noticed. Any good D-coordinator will tweak his scheme to best fit the strength of his players. Adding Burns will allow him to increasingly lean on these type of trap schemes.

Last edited:
You realize that PFF also gave us the same D grade last year when we selected Bud Dupree?
More than anything, this reminds me of the reaction of our TOTAL REACH pick of LeVeon Bell in the second round. Boy, a lot of people looked foolish on that one.

Butler ran this four straight times on the final defensive stand against the Broncos.

Oh please - Steelers were 30th ranked pass defense - I don't think they played anything particularly well, no matter what you want to call it.

And one series of plays means nothing - Steelers run a zone defense

Wonderful

Pro Football Focus‏@PFF
Artie Burns was the No. 144 player on the PFF board. The Steelers took him at No. 25. @PFF_ give the Steelers a D

It's not just one site - it's everyone

and it's not just me - everyone is gagging at this reach

25. Pittsburgh Steelers: CB Artie Burns – Our least favorite pick to this point of the draft. Yes, Burns is a long-armed press corner with passion and he has overcome a lot in his life to get to this level. But there are teams that have stamped fourth-round grades on Burns, and he might not ever be better than a solid No. 3 corner. There were many better options here – perhaps in the front seven. Grade: D+

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/round-1-s-grades-for-2016-nfl-draft-042443575.html

I can find positive reviews of the pick as well, does that really mean anything? That crap could go back and forth all day, opinions are exactly that, someone's opinion not future determined truth. Everyone was up in arms when we took Leveon Bell over Lacy, and I'm pretty sure Antonio Brown, Richard Sherman, and Josh Norman didn't have raving scouting reports. Until the guy plays you have no idea what kind of player he will be.

I didn't like the Golson pick last year either, but these are now our future cornerbacks. We're done for a while a the position. We will live/die with Tomlin's vision at the position now.

Personally, I think both are just meh... They'll be okay pros but part of a dominant defense? Probably not.

Everything about this team to me is 8-8 or 9-7 without Ben Roethlisberger. Antonio Brown is special. Bell was a great pick to see that type of talent once he lost 10 lbs.

But for the most part, I think how they built the offensive line, how they are rebuilding the defense is pretty average.

We're at a point where everyone is in Tomlin's image now. The D-line is all his. The linebackers are all his. Now the secondary is finally all his.

Every part now has Tomlin's idea of talent in it. Every part of the team now has 1st/2nd round picks that Tomlin has blessed/decided upon.

If that leads to an average defense, that's because Tomlin is coaching average and the talent he picked is average. There are no other reasons or excuses for it anymore. I'm sure most fans will try to see the glass half full. Heyward, Tuitt, Jones, Timmons, Shazier, Dupree, Golson, Burns are all "NFL talents". No one is denying that. They all belong in the NFL. That's 8 of your potential 11 starters as top-60 picks.

But are they now good enough and coached well enough to do it on the field? Be a top-10 defense again? We'll find out.

I worry there is a lot of "good" in that group, but not a lot of "great". And traditionally it takes one or two GREAT players to elevate an average defensive unit into something special.

The offensive side of the ball has always had something special: Roethlisberger. It's just taken a while for him to grow up, get into the right offense, fix the O-line (and his style of play, which arguably took longer than it should have) and find the proper hood ornaments (Browns/Bell) to bring it all together.

Now we see what the defense becomes over the next 3 years.

I can find positive reviews of the pick as well...
Indeed.

CBS grades Steelers first round pick of Miami CB Artie Burns
http://pit.247sports.com/Bolt/CBS-grades-Steelers-first-round-pick-of-Miami-CB-Artie-Burns-45073829

While some were skeptical, one draft analyst was complimentary of the Steelers' selection of Miami cornerback Artie Burns.

Shortly after Burns became the first cornerback in 19 years to be drafted in the first round by Pittsburgh, CBS' Pete Prisco graded the Steelers' draft choice.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Burns Grade: B. He is a hell of an athlete with speed. The Steelers need corner help. It works.</p>— Pete Prisco (@PriscoCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/PriscoCBS/status/725883817911836672">April 29, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>Now Burns will try to give the Steelers something they haven't had since Rod Woodson in the mid 1990s, a physical, dominant cornerback that can help Pittsburgh's defense become one of the best units in the NFL once again.
Artie Burns drafted by Steelers with No. 25 pick
http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/4/28/11531120/artie-burns-2016-nfl-draft-pittsburgh-steelers

A fiery competitor, Burns is never one to back down from any challenge on the playing field. He possesses the brash, cocky demeanor of a shutdown corner and backs it up with impressive stats. He gave up just two touchdowns over the past two seasons, per Pro Football Focus, and allowed an NFL passer rating of 40.8 in 2015. To put that number into perspective, if a quarterback throws the ball into the ground on every play, he ends up with a passer rating of 39.6.

One of the best playmakers available among the defensive back prospects, Burns is more than just a speed and hands guy. With broad shoulders, long arms and a strong frame, he's also a competent run defender and a surprisingly effective open-field tackler.

Burns is probably NFL-ready from a size and speed standpoint, but it's clear from the game tape that he still needs to work on his technique in coverage and his down-to-down consistency. Still, given the adversity he's already had to overcome, there is little doubt that the former Hurricane can develop into a quality starting corner at the pro level.

Last edited:
Steelers FAN sites? hahahahahaha - yeah, great objectivity there!

Steelers selected Miami (FL) CB Artie Burns with the No. 25 overall pick in the 2016 draft.

His primary weakness is frustrating game tape on which Burns has a tendency to get lazy and play undisciplined. Burns has No. 1-corner upside, but could also flame out quickly. Raw after spending so much time in track and field at The U, Burns is a boom-bust prospect.

You don't kick a game winning field goal at 2 minutes with a chance to run the clock down to 3sec. Just because you don't have a trade offer when your pick starts, doesn't mean you won't get a phone call 5 minutes in.

Also running up to the podium every ******* year creates a trend where no team will make you an offer since they think you will just run up for your pick. It's a poor strategy and a poor trend that is self created.

It's nice to know Tomlin's clock management is ****** away from the field too.

The media's overuse of the "30th in pass defense" really bothers me.

The Steelers defense in 2015 made HUGE strides as compared to 2014 and without the help of their 2nd round pick at cornerback/nickel defender.

Football Outsiders had huge gains in overall defense (30th to 11th) and pass defense (27th to 15th)
Drive Success Rate (% of 1st and 10 situations that end in either another first down or TD) went from 26th to 13th
Points per Possession went from 25th to 13th
Points allowed per Red Zone Appearance went from 25th to 3rd
Turnovers forced per Opposing Possession went from 23rd to 7th
Sack Percentage went from 21st to 7th

There are excellent improvements over a one-year span. And no, it doesn't mean everything is fixed or whether some of these metrics can be sustained (I have particular concerns with sacks, turnovers and red zone defense which all seem to be outliers).

These are reasons to be excited that maybe the addition of two top-60 picks chosen by Tomlin into the defensive backfield will finally click the defensive puzzle Tomlin is trying to build into a top-10 unit.

No one really knows this yet. I have my doubts but I am certainly no Nostradamus when it comes to all things football.

Last edited: