• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Whole Kobe thing.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Look its a tragedy. I know. Yes everyone knew who he was.

But fact is none of us are getting out of here alive, and there are no do overs.

The posturing im seeing on tv etc is a bit much.
Maybe its still early and it will all die down,, but wow.

Seems the stars are all posturing to see who was impacted the most.

"Lebron vowed to carry on Kobe's legacy"

They want to retire Kobe's number from all of the NBA.

Others want to change the NBA logo to Kobe's likeness.

I don't know maybe im out of touch.

But I never understood putting flowers on a roadside accident site. Or in front of someones house or place of business when they pass either.

That's all. End rant. Just seems a bit much.

There were other people that died in the crash. Who knew?

His funeral procession and memorializing will outpace even John McCain's 1-2 week spectacle.

The thing i find interesting is the whole rape allegation thing. He pretty much paid off the girl. All you hear about is how great a father / husband he was. Maybe the girl was lying and looking for a payday and Kobe definitely seemed to have matured and done a lot of good since then, but somehow he is getting a free pass. What happened was a terrible tragedy and i can't imagine weensy his wife is going through, but the media is glancing over the other kids / parents that also died

The thing i find interesting is the whole rape allegation thing. He pretty much paid off the girl. All you hear about is how great a father / husband he was. Maybe the girl was lying and looking for a payday and Kobe definitely seemed to have matured and done a lot of good since then, but somehow he is getting a free pass. What happened was a terrible tragedy and i can't imagine weensy his wife is going through, but the media is glancing over the other kids / parents that also died

We have experience with that in Pittsburgh.

I understand the initial shock & sorrow because of the circumstances and his stature, but this is getting ridiculous. You'd think The Pope, Mother Teresa & The Dalai Lama all perished together.

We're a dramatic bunch.

Here’s my take.

A iconic sports star, taken very young, who’s name, image, brand spanned the globe....and he died with his daughter who was becoming in her own. Regardless of what team you supported, if you knew anything about the NBA and even not, you more than likely knew of Kobe.

Do I think shows that are sports networks and the like to continue on with this, yes that’s their job. Do I think the NBA logo should be changed? **** no. I’m sure MJ, Ervin, Wilt, Russel, bird...etc could be like WTF. Just because he passed early? If, if they did do it, marketing and marketing/money alone.

Yeah. About 2 hours after it happened, I was sick of hearing about it. Tragic, but those kind of things happen to normal people every day.

Back in the 70's, Yankees catcher Thurman Munson died in the crash of a small plane he was piloting. You would have thought the Pope died, but former Yankee pitcher Jim Bouton, author of the book "Ball Four" and by then a sports reporter, caught a lot of flak for saying that Munson was a jerk and most of his teammates didn't like him.

What I think too but didn’t want to say it
I believe he raped that girl and I knew no one would say anything and canonize him.
But the league has never had an icon of the sport ever die so young and so tragically. It is what it is and I’ve stayed away from sports media

My heart is heavy for the children lost [emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

I hadn’t watched much TV over the last couple days, so I hadn’t really noticed. Watching Sportscenter this morning and they were doing their best to tie every single highlight to Kobe Bryant in some way. A couple of the highlights, I was like “Really?” But then I remembered what network I was watching, how they are pretty much the NBA’s flagship network so it made some sense. A lot of people loved and looked up to him. I guess it could be a bit annoying, but it’s really not that big of a deal.

I believe he raped that girl and I knew no one would say anything and canonize him.
At the time I was left with the impression that it was consensual until he put it in her ***, at which point she took exception.
At this point, all young women should know that if a pro athlete asks you to go back to his hotel room (or into a bathroom when you're wearing a DTF sticker) he wants to **** you and if you don't want to **** him then don't go.
I used to hang out with a well-known former Penguins player and as a normal guy it was amazing to me how women would throw themselves at him.

Last edited:

There are starting to be mentions of this here and there.

Kobe like anyone else is innocent until proven guilty, although I will say there was WAY more evidence against him than there ever was against Ben. Plus he lied numerous times about even having sex with her until he found out they had DNA evidence. He also admitted to cheating on his wife regularly. Ben wasn't married.

Yet Ben is still treated almost like a pariah by many, even though he is also married with kids and has done a lot of good things for charity, while Kobe is treated like the best person who ever walked the earth.

Interesting.

his death is tragic . but no more tragic than the others onboard. his death did not change anything in my world.

The Lakers don't play again until Friday. This will easily go on through next week. This weekend will witness Laker Lebron reactions up until the SB, and then the event will also figure prominenty into the annual Super Bowl rite. ESPN continues it's memorial and worship services uninterrupted.

BTW, anybody see LBJ's statement in past couple days? Predictably, it was more about him and what burdens and responsibilities are now on him as the torch bearer.

https://www.instagram.com/kingjames/?hl=en

Also,his IG page is telling. The top 4 pictures feature a symbolic handshake/hand off from Kobe. LBJ-Kobe meet and shake hands and Kobe moves to sit down. The next picture shows LBJ walking past a backdrop of "GOAT" and he is just reaching the "G" in his stride. The 4th picture shows him shaking hands with Bill Clinton in what may or may not be a masonic handshake. I believe all of is intended to symbolize LBJ's coronation and portal into the world of the uber-elites beyond any athlete heretofore.

Lebron was never going to be "iconic" in LA as a 3-4 year rent-a-player and with a living, breathing, Oscar-Winning Kobe just a helicopter ride away. It was Kobe's town and Kobe's team. LBJ now takes the mantle of the Mamba Mentality and energy and outpouring for Kobe and absorbs his spirit and essence as a Laker. LBJ "does it for Kobe" and wins 2 titles in LA and the sports intelligentsia then universally bequeath "GOAT" status on LBJ for the body of work The pictures are a clue as to LBJ's designs. He's at the "G" and the next 2-3 seasons will witness him stride past the "T." We are all witnesses, and all of this has occult symbolism written all over it.

Last edited:
I saw the story break and I was like, damn, that's too bad. Then I heard about his daughter and thought, geez, that's terrible. She must've been terrified. Poor thing. And then I switched the laundry and started to watch the Pro Bowl. The announcers kept hammering home the crash every five minutes. Between that and the horseshit two-handed touch defense, I switched to season 4 of Vikings.

Now if it had been Dr. J or Reggie Miller, I might have actually been sad. For a few minutes. The people that I idolize and consider to be heroes do not play basketball. And they don't rape women.

I don't recall....although I was very young....

That in my opinion a better man and role model, Roberto Clemente received much less pomp and circumstance than Kobe has...….and I'm talking in Pittsburgh none the less!

Maybe its just a sign of the times?...

“One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic."

-commonly attributed to Joseph Stalin

That in my opinion a better man and role model, Roberto Clemente received much less pomp and circumstance than Kobe has...….and I'm talking in Pittsburgh none the less!

A lot fewer media outlets back then. But I recall it being a pretty big deal.

Yeah i thought of the Clemente plane crash, too, a sports hero dies and people are shaken.

LA just happens to be a bigger city than Pittsburgh

And the media attention is much different from way back then

Last edited:

How MLB hasn’t retired 21 next to 42 is beyond me!

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

My biggest issue right now is how they marginalize the other passengers on the flight as well as the pilot.

"Helicopter crash that claimed the lives of Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna"

It would sound much better if they say "claimed the lives of 9 people that included Kobe Bryant".

Also -- I saw UConn made Gianna an honorary member of their basketball team.
What about her 2 teammates who were also killed? Don't they matter?

How about the assistant coach leaves behind a husband and 3 kids?
How about the brother and sister who just lost both parents and their sister?
How about the mother and daughter who were lost to their families?
How about the pilot? He probably had a family too.

But please... let's focus on Kobe.

He was known to be a selfish ballhog as a player. I heard that his epitaph is going to say: "Well, at least he finally passed."