• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

The Whole Kobe thing.

$500k would definitely get a ride in a helicopter, though. maybe even a few.

I don't recall....although I was very young....

That in my opinion a better man and role model, Roberto Clemente received much less pomp and circumstance than Kobe has...….and I'm talking in Pittsburgh none the less!

Maybe its just a sign of the times?...

Agreed. But don't forget, the HOF admitted Clemente about three months after the plane crash. You are right in the fact that the pomp given Bryant seems a bit unseemly. He and eight others died because Bryant did not like waiting in traffic; Clemente died trying to feed earthquake victims being robbed by the usual corrupt politicians who still run Puerto Rico, it seems.

A celebration of the life and legacy of Kobe Bryant will be shared with over 100 million people in Miami thanks to Jennifer Lopez and Shakira. The co-headliners for the Super Bowl halftime show revealed that there is a plan to honor the Lakers legend on Sunday at Hard Rock Stadium.
"We'll all be remembering Kobe on Sunday and celebrating life and diversity in this country," Shakira said at a Super Bowl press conference on Thursday. "I'm sure he'd be very proud to see the message we are trying to convey on stage that day."
- https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-tribute-to-kobe-bryant-during-halftime-show/

I usually step away from the TV at half-time, so as much as I would enjoy the life lessons from Jennifer and Shakira, I'm going to miss this celebration of Kobe's life, and diversity, and whatever.

Excerpts from the ESPN article last Saturday night after LBJ passed Kobe on all time scoring list:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id...-surpasses-kobe-bryant-third-all-scoring-list

James' Lakers teammates heaped on the praise.
"I'm happy I got the assist for him, and I'm just happy to be a part of the team," said Anthony Davis, who fed James on the historic bucket. "He's done great things. He's broken so many records this season. I'm happy for him, and he deserves everything he's getting."

Caldwell-Pope just so happened to wear a graphic T-shirt with a flaming skeleton cartoon depiction of Bryant popping his No. 24 Lakers uniform on the front, even though his fashion decision had nothing to do with James' impending record. Caldwell-Pope said he didn't know about James' achievement until it was announced on the video board afterward.
"I had no idea how close he was," Caldwell-Pope said. "Nobody mentioned it to me. [My teammates] had seen the shirt [when I was] walking in, but no one mentioned it to me."

Dwight Howard, whose Orlando Magic team beat the Cavs in the 2009 postseason, destroying that dream Finals matchup, put James' scoring total in perspective.

"That is a big accomplishment," Howard said. "I think that is something that should be appreciated. We don't appreciate each other as much as we should as a humanity. And I think something like that should be appreciated. You should appreciate people while they're alive."

While the James-Bryant Finals showdown never happened, the pair did face off 22 times in the regular season from 2004 to 2016, and James' teams owned the matchups, going 16-6, including wins in 10 of the final 11 times they played each other.

"When LeBron came to Los Angeles, he is now a Laker, he is part of our brotherhood, part of our fraternity, and we should embrace him that way," Bryant told the Los Angeles Times when asked about James nearing his scoring mark. "You got to celebrate ... [and] appreciate what he is as an athlete while he is here.

Look its a tragedy. I know. Yes everyone knew who he was.

But fact is none of us are getting out of here alive, and there are no do overs.

The posturing im seeing on tv etc is a bit much.
Maybe its still early and it will all die down,, but wow.

Seems the stars are all posturing to see who was impacted the most.

"Lebron vowed to carry on Kobe's legacy"

They want to retire Kobe's number from all of the NBA.

Others want to change the NBA logo to Kobe's likeness.

I don't know maybe im out of touch.

But I never understood putting flowers on a roadside accident site. Or in front of someones house or place of business when they pass either.

That's all. End rant. Just seems a bit much.

all that does is leave a mess for someone to clean later. ******* idiotic

"The Rhythm Section" premiered in theaters yesterday.

"Stephanie Patrick veers down a path of self-destruction after a tragic plane crash kills her family. When Stephanie discovers it wasn't an accident, she soon embarks on a bloody quest for revenge to punish those responsible."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Uq_5bYGYoY