• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Tomlin to ponder coming back after the season is over

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This is now all over social media from various sources. If true, who the heck is going to pick the new O coaching staff? Since they need an entirely new staff, that process needs to start immediately with an OC hire within a couple of weeks so they can get started on the offseason and implement a new system and schemes.

I think Tomlin is coming back but if he waits even a couple of weeks, that means the Steelers will almost definitely hire from within and just make tweaks to the O.

Other teams are already firing, interviewing, and hiring for their coaching positions. The Steelers can't wait. Hopefully, he makes a decision in a few days and not 2 or 3 weeks.

It's looking like there is definitely "something" to this, whether it's him thinking about taking a break from coaching, or feeling he can get a lot more money elsewhere.

He's still under contract for one more season, though.

If there is some fire to the smoke, Rooney and Khan need to sit down with him right after the season and see exactly how committed he is to the Steelers in 2024.

It will not be good for anyone involved if he goes through the year with his mind somewhere else.

I believe he will honor his existing contract and announce that 2024 will be final season as head coach.

I really dont feel he will leave the organization "high & dry"...He owes that to the Rooney family at the very least.

Who would want to come in as an OC under these circumstances? If Tomlin does leave, you may not have your job after another HC is hired. Any legit candidate will wait for the dust to settle before taking a job here.

I believe he will honor his existing contract and announce that 2024 will be final season as head coach.

I really dont feel he will leave the organization "high & dry"...He owes that to the Rooney family at the very least.
This would really suck. They would bring in a new O staff this season and then probably a new everything in a year if they hire a new head coach. Most head coaches want to bring in their own staff and rightfully so.

This would really suck. They would bring in a new O staff this season and then probably a new everything in a year if they hire a new head coach. Most head coaches want to bring in their own staff and rightfully so.
I hear ya...

No major changes in staff this off season....some minor additions and tweeks....

Basically same leadership/coaching staff as this season.

BS. Rooney will tell Tomlin to p! ss or get off the pot. If you are thinking of retirement you are already retired.

The problem is that a lame duck year is an issue for the Steelers if he fully intends to leave. Tomlin probably waiting to see if Harbaugh takes that Chargers job.

That's possible, but that is not how the Steelers have operated though. The Rooney's tend to value the perception of their coaching being in it for the long haul.

If Tomlin doesn't retire and they cannot work out an extension, there may very well be a trade.

I think the most he would owe them is to be honest with them.

The last thing I think Rooney would want is for Tomlin to become a FA next year and his price going to the moon as a result.

Mind you, I'm attempting to view this from Rooney's perspective, who seems to still love Tomlin.

Personally, I think it is well past time to move on.

By now Tomlins agent knows exactly what he could get if he goes to a network or another team. Numbers have been bandied about. Rooney might not want to compete.

I hear ya...

No major changes in staff this off season....some minor additions and tweeks....

Basically same leadership/coaching staff as this season.
This almost assures KP will have no true chance to develop. Bouncing around between coaches and schemes is why the Clowns ruined so many top prospects they drafted.

First off someone please post the evangelist gif asking God for what others get. Secondly, let's not worry about what comes after. You could leave most of staff in place and fire OC and DC.

This almost assures KP will have no true chance to develop. Bouncing around between coaches and schemes is why the Clowns ruined so many top prospects they drafted.
Or you can sit in perpetual 7-11 seed dealers choice. KP is gonna be ****** anyhow. He practically is already.

How would a lame duck year look different?

If it were me (not suggesting the Steelers handle this way), I would trade Tomlin or extend him. Would not let him stay on one year left. Better off rebooting the whole thing. A lame duck year means not moving forward. This team has enough youth and veteran talent that not moving forward for a year is a huge loss.

I cannot reiterate this enough. He is not a player you can trade. I believe he just has to take 2024 off and he is an FA. They just won't have to pay him. Not giving him an extension puts him in a spot where he must choose. But at 51 no big. He spends a year with his money and his family maybe takes a cushy gig on TV. Regardless of what we say he would be top two available in 2025. I guess if someone wanted him now and that was his dream job a trade could be negotiable but I just don't see that.

This is now all over social media from various sources. If true, who the heck is going to pick the new O coaching staff? Since they need an entirely new staff, that process needs to start immediately with an OC hire within a couple of weeks so they can get started on the offseason and implement a new system and schemes.

I think Tomlin is coming back but if he waits even a couple of weeks, that means the Steelers will almost definitely hire from within and just make tweaks to the O.

Other teams are already firing, interviewing, and hiring for their coaching positions. The Steelers can't wait. Hopefully, he makes a decision in a few days and not 2 or 3 weeks.

I’ve heard this dilemma as well. Some are saying his ego is getting the better of him and he won’t make a decision only to wait long enough that he gets his choices In coaching hires. IE meaning same **** different year.

Salute the nation

Who would want to come in as an OC under these circumstances? If Tomlin does leave, you may not have your job after another HC is hired. Any legit candidate will wait for the dust to settle before taking a job here.

EXACTLY. Some don’t even want to come here to work under Tomlin.

Salute the nation

I guess if someone wanted him now and that was his dream job a trade could be negotiable but I just don't see that.
The Chargers kind of seem like the obvious destination in that scenario.

A young, established franchise QB, with the ownership and market that would allow Tomlin to practically name his price.

They might prefer Jim Harbaugh, though, especially considering they would not have to give up high draft picks in the process.

Well this would have been a heck of alot easier if Rudy hadn't come in and saved the day. I don't think he is going anywhere....

I know the yinzers are excited for them backing in the playoffs and I am too, but I am also a realist and see that the best thing that could have happened for REAL change in the organization was for them to lose out and get the ball rolling.

What happens if they happen to eek out a win tomorrow? Absolutely nothing will change. Now that they made the playoffs nothing probably will anyways. He will probably get new contract and a 5 year extension..... :rolleyes:

All this is going to do is make everyone excited for next year again.....

I am getting old and tired of hoping for next year.

I'm not worrying about next year. I'm preparing for 5 years. It might take a couple coaches. I'm just sick of Tomlin rolling through HOF type players like Ben, AB, Watt, Heyward, Minkah to almost make playoffs and first round exits. I'm willing to risk it for the biscuit of maybe real contender.

Guys, if it seems like Tomlin is short timing it, a OC who has HC ambitions would probably jump to come here...
Hire Gruden or Lefty as OC and it’s widely understood that they will be the new HC.