• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Why are Steeler most popular choice to win Super Bowl?

• Thread starter Thread starter POP
  • Start date Start date
P

POP

Watching Mike & Mike this morning, they did a poll on what teams listeners/viewers believe will win SB. The Steelers were the #1 choice, just ahead of the Pats.

The question wasn't "who do you want to win the SB?
but who do you THINK will win it.

What I want to know is what happened between all the off season till now to make the majority of fans now believe that the Steelers will win it all?

Did they have an impressive pre-season? Not really. We had basically one quarter of decent football with the offensive starters in. That was it.

Was our draft so incredibly impressive? Well, our top two picks seem unlikely to play much, our 3rd rounder will play, 4th, no, nor anyone else. So, no, the draft wouldn't be what made people think we are most likely choice to win SB.

Did we make some power moves in FA? Well, our top prize signing might not ever play, we added depth at OT. So, no, no significant FA signings.

The only reason I see why their stock would have jumped so much, is if people realize that as beat up as we were in the playoffs (starting star RB out, solid back up RB out, the best WR in the world out, pro bowl center out, franchise QB's arm banged up) we still had the future SB winners beat until our 3rd string back fumbled the ball. Maybe, like me, people realize we will have all our hurt guys back at some point.

Or, is it because that we have so many fans, and the poll represents Steeler fans wishful thinking?

But in perhaps our biggest kiss of death, Greeny has picks us to win it all. He is almost always wrong.

Golic took as to make the SB but to lose.

IDK, just seems odd to me, being that right up till now, we were always said to be about the 5th to 7th best team all off-season.

Generally, this team under-achieves when we are the favorite. I hope to hell that trend changes.

But we have real, NFL football that counts tonight. It's like Christmas when I was a little kid.

Why indeed?

Well, teams that win the Superbowl tend to disappoint ( Denver ). Who's their QB?

Carolina lost their best DB and still lack some weapons on offense.

New England has Brady suspended for cheating for 4 games

Cincinnati is talented, but still stupid.

And that leaves us, Green Bay and Seattle. If picking the SB winner correctly for this season means I win $1,000,000.00 I'd go with Green Bay. Injuries hurt them last year ( OL / WR ), and Lacy appears to be in shape for this season.

Ben

Antonio Brown

Le'veon Bell

They can blow all the smoke up this team's *** they want. We're short handed at TE, our right tackle has an injured elbow. We start the season without our starting RB for 3 weeks. Wheaton has a banged up shoulder. Heyward is gonna play with a high ankle sprain. Dupree has a groin.

Gonna be a long 16 games. We need to keep Ben upright and ride him to another ring. It won't come easy.

Hate to break it to you POP but Burns appears to be ready and will play some on the outside with Gay moving to the slot in the nickel. Davis is going to play too. Our draft could turn out to be solid.

They're a popular pick because as someone said Ben, Bell, Brown. Studs. Top 3 at the most important positions.

...we still had the future SB winners beat until our 3rd string back fumbled the ball.

That's it in a nutshell...

I think the Cardinals SHOULD win the SB. But they probably won't because of Carson Palmer. They have a better overall roster than the Steelers but the Steelers have Ben. I'd love to see a Steelers-Cardinals rematch for a ton of reasons.

Watching Mike & Mike this morning, they did a poll on what teams listeners/viewers believe will win SB. The Steelers were the #1 choice, just ahead of the Pats.

The question wasn't "who do you want to win the SB?
but who do you THINK will win it.

What I want to know is what happened between all the off season till now to make the majority of fans now believe that the Steelers will win it all?

Did they have an impressive pre-season? Not really. We had basically one quarter of decent football with the offensive starters in. That was it.

Was our draft so incredibly impressive? Well, our top two picks seem unlikely to play much, our 3rd rounder will play, 4th, no, nor anyone else. So, no, the draft wouldn't be what made people think we are most likely choice to win SB.

Did we make some power moves in FA? Well, our top prize signing might not ever play, we added depth at OT. So, no, no significant FA signings.

The only reason I see why their stock would have jumped so much, is if people realize that as beat up as we were in the playoffs (starting star RB out, solid back up RB out, the best WR in the world out, pro bowl center out, franchise QB's arm banged up) we still had the future SB winners beat until our 3rd string back fumbled the ball. Maybe, like me, people realize we will have all our hurt guys back at some point.

Or, is it because that we have so many fans, and the poll represents Steeler fans wishful thinking?

But in perhaps our biggest kiss of death, Greeny has picks us to win it all. He is almost always wrong.

Golic took as to make the SB but to lose.

IDK, just seems odd to me, being that right up till now, we were always said to be about the 5th to 7th best team all off-season.

Generally, this team under-achieves when we are the favorite. I hope to hell that trend changes.

But we have real, NFL football that counts tonight. It's like Christmas when I was a little kid.

POP....Ummm.....You miss spelled a few words in your thread title. Coach can help you out though. Just PM him.

I think the Cardinals SHOULD win the SB. But they probably won't because of Carson Palmer. They have a better overall roster than the Steelers but the Steelers have Ben. I'd love to see a Steelers-Cardinals rematch for a ton of reasons.

I will disagree with you.

SB XL rematch. The reason why the Steelers will make it: Loaded offensive talent. Ben, Bell, Brown, Wheaton, Coates, James. Add in the depth at RB, a hopefully improved offensive line and the sky is limit.

Defense is still a question mark. With Heyward probably missing week 1. The linebacking group is not as powerful in years past. Secondary is still a bit behind. Hope Gay, **** and Burns can really play coverage good this season. Mike Mitchell. Not a fan and trash talker after every play. So this season is one to unfold, but I think for the better

Why indeed?

Well, teams that win the Superbowl tend to disappoint ( Denver ). Who's their QB?

Carolina lost their best DB and still lack some weapons on offense.

New England has Brady suspended for cheating for 4 games

Cincinnati is talented, but still stupid.

And that leaves us, Green Bay and Seattle. If picking the SB winner correctly for this season means I win $1,000,000.00 I'd go with Green Bay. Injuries hurt them last year ( OL / WR ), and Lacy appears to be in shape for this season.

Don't sleep on AZ. They are loaded every where, as long as Palmer can stay in one piece. Car will have more playmakers than they had last year.

I said right after we lost in Denver that we should be the AFC favs in 2016 so I am not arguing; just that it was odd we want from being considered 5th - 7th to the fav overnight.

Hate to break it to you POP but Burns appears to be ready and will play some on the outside with Gay moving to the slot in the nickel. Davis is going to play too. Our draft could turn out to be solid.

They're a popular pick because as someone said Ben, Bell, Brown. Studs. Top 3 at the most important positions.

I only saw Burns play briefly in one game. He dropped a sure int that hit him right in both hands. Davis has been doing nothing but getting burnt and missing tackles. It's early, but they didn't look "ready" to me. We are going to be giving up tons of long pass plays, again.

I only saw Burns play briefly in one game. He dropped a sure int that hit him right in both hands. Davis has been doing nothing but getting burnt and missing tackles. It's early, but they didn't look "ready" to me. We are going to be giving up tons of long pass plays, again.

Butler said Burns turned it up and has looked much better covering AB then before, today. I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised.

For a short stretch last year the Steelers were the best team in the league and even with a banged up QB and a scrub at running back, they still nearly beat the Super Bowl champs at their place in the playoffs. Manning is retired leaving only the suspended Brady as the lone threat to Roethlisberger as the best QB in the AFC. Kind of hard to argue against the Steelers as the favorite to win it. At least, those are my expectations entering the season.

Don't sleep on AZ. They are loaded every where, as long as Palmer can stay in one piece. Car will have more playmakers than they had last year.

I said right after we lost in Denver that we should be the AFC favs in 2016 so I am not arguing; just that it was odd we want from being considered 5th - 7th to the fav overnight.

I think this board would melt down if Arians won a S U P E R B O W L, so I didn't mention Arizona, but you're right. They are a very good team!

They can blow all the smoke up this team's *** they want. We're short handed at TE, our right tackle has an injured elbow. We start the season without our starting RB for 3 weeks. Wheaton has a banged up shoulder. Heyward is gonna play with a high ankle sprain. Dupree has a groin.

Gonna be a long 16 games. We need to keep Ben upright and ride him to another ring. It won't come easy.

Meh, every team has issues. We return substantially the same team as last year that narrowly lost the semifinal without their best WR, best C, starting LT, both starting RB's, and a fumble by the third string RB who no one ever heard of prior to the playoff game.

Butler said Burns turned it up and has looked much better covering AB then before, today. I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised.

Well, it would certainly be "pleasant" if he comes out and plays solid. Here's hoping. We are long overdue to draft a good CB.

all teams have their weaknesses...most far out weigh those the Steelers have to deal with