• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Assistant Coaches

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Who is responsible for the number of assistant coaches the Steelers have? is that Tomlin? Rooney? We are way behind the times on this. Having someone like Flores here last year was exactly what was needed.
Hopefully it is not a 1 time thing. It is strange that we have not added more coaches by now.

Who is responsible for the number of assistant coaches the Steelers have? is that Tomlin? Rooney? We are way behind the times on this. Having someone like Flores here last year was exactly what was needed.
Hopefully it is not a 1 time thing. It is strange that we have not added more coaches by now.
That would be Rooney I would think the man giving out the paychecks..

I would assume so also. Man he is not setting this team up for success. At this point I think Tomlin could actually be a good HC if he had a support system around him

I would assume so also. Man he is not setting this team up for success. At this point I think Tomlin could actually be a good HC if he had a support system around him

I would venture to say that if Coach Tomlin walked into Art 2 office and said “I’d like to hire two more assistant coaches”,…

Art 2 would give him the go ahead…………

Salute the nation

I would think Tomlin needs to want them and then Rooney needs to be willing to pay for them. It could be either or both.
In the grand scheme, assistant coaches outside of coordinators don't get paid that much. I agree Tomlin would get whoever he wants on staff if he asked.

Living down in Panther land and seeing what they’ve done in one off season to entirely build a coaching staff the caliber they have and then comparing it to the Steelers is eye opening.

They brought in 2 senior assistants Jim Caldwell and Dom Capers with HC experience and a ton of young up and comers for coordinator and position coaches to keep with the times.

What a difference having ownership willing to spend in an area where there is no cap, Rooney is cheap and could learn a lesson from Tepper.

Or it’s Tomlin’s decision and he should humble himself and ask for better help/more money to get better help

At any rate our coaching staff leaves quite a bit to be desired

Living down in Panther land and seeing what they’ve done in one off season to entirely build a coaching staff the caliber they have and then comparing it to the Steelers is eye opening.

They brought in 2 senior assistants Jim Caldwell and Dom Capers with HC experience and a ton of young up and comers for coordinator and position coaches to keep with the times.

What a difference having ownership willing to spend in an area where there is no cap, Rooney is cheap and could learn a lesson from Tepper.

Or it’s Tomlin’s decision and he should humble himself and ask for better help/more money to get better help

At any rate our coaching staff leaves quite a bit to be desired

that has been the “devil” of Coach Tomlin for as long as I can remember. Lacks getting high end coordinators/staff/etc.. Does he fee3l threatened, control freak, micro-management, or just plain incompetent in managerial outside of the players???

Coach Cowher seemed to continuously try to upgrade his help. He managed upper tier way better than Coach Tomlin seems to be.

This nonsense that Rooney won’t let or won’t pay for high end coordinators doesn’t seem to have merit. Yes, finish out the contract to receive them of duties but if Tomlin really wanted a specific individual, Rooney would spring for it. Unfortunately Coach Tomlin protects his butt by hiring the staff that is promoted.

Salute the nation

Salute the nation

yeah, there's really no reason why we shouldnt have paid Flores more to stay. As said above, there's no cap on coach salaries.

If it is Tomlin making coaching decisions, Rooney needs to change that. I cant think of another coach that has been around for so long without any promotions of coaches to HC

If it is Tomlin making coaching decisions, Rooney needs to change that. I cant think of another coach that has been around for so long without any promotions of coaches to HC
I doubt that there ever has been, but nothing will change until Mike decides it's time to leave, and it will be his decision as long as Art II signs the checks.

The lack of notable assistants can't be a coincidence.

yeah, there's really no reason why we shouldnt have paid Flores more to stay. As said above, there's no cap on coach salaries.

Article says that the Judge has ruled on Flores suit against the NFL. short but good read

Miami still goes to arbitration, other's more serious.

Salute the nation

Unfortunately the issues start at the very top with the owner who has accepted the belief that his team is in it until the end. The problem is what is your definition of in it? Sure, they can be mathematically alive for a wild card spot with 4 or 5 other teams but they have to be lucky. And if they slide in, chances are great they get blown away in the first round. So you have a team that ends up 9-7 like in past years or now 9-8 with the 17 game schedule and that seems to be good enough for this owner.
The organization especially the owner has gotten enamored with non losing seasons over actually competing for championships. That’s seems to be the new norm here now. Doing enough to be in it until the end gives some fans false hope, puts ***** in the seats and keeps this worthless non losing season streak alive.
When Tomlin finally leaves I for one will judge him on number of SB wins and AFC Championship games he at least got his team to play in. It sure as hell won’t be how many non losing seasons.
The organization would have been much better off with a David Tepper and his hunger to win championships and sparing no expense to get there. Instead, we are stuck with Rooney who seems to be more in step with equity than quality like so much of today. No trying to make this political and certainly don’t dislike Tomlin a man I’ve never met, but he’s merely an average coach in the league and doesn’t do anything extremely well. He’s supposed to be a players coach whatever that’s even suppose to mean but the guy is the epitome of average. The owner is to stuck on forcing Tomlin down everyone’s throat making sure he makes it to Canton which I’m sure he will do in part to early success but Art has lost sight of the ultimate goal this organization prided itself with, winning SBs.
Tomlin now has been created into this egotistical coach who thinks in his mind he’s the smartest guy in the room. He has garnered an enormous amount of control and seems to have great input on player personnel. From the 2011 season forward these are his teams with inherited players long gone with Ben being the last. I see no more than average coaching from him, a lot of cheerleading, extreme stubbornness, unwillingness to change and bring in young innovators as coaches and assistants instead bringing in retread unsuccessful Tyrell Austin and under qualified never proven Matt Canada. You see these coordinators don’t pose any threat and are basically yes coaches. And sadly the owner had bought into all this nonsense.

The organization would have been much better off with a David Tepper and his hunger to win championships and sparing no expense to get there. Instead, we are stuck with Rooney who seems to be more in step with equity than quality like so much of today.
So far David Tepper's Carolina Panthers have sucked.

Give him some time. He’s assembled a solid coaching staff, has some good players on the roster, so now he goes QB in round one and expect this franchise to start competing. He inherited a complete mess.
It's Tepper's third head coach since he bought the team in 2018. Their QBs have been awful and they are currently tearing down a brand new practice facility that never got built. Sorry, but from the outside looking in, that franchise looks like a mess with a meddling owner.

It's Tepper's third head coach since he bought the team in 2018. Their QBs have been awful and they are currently tearing down a brand new practice facility that never got built. Sorry, but from the outside looking in, that franchise looks like a mess with a meddling owner.
Well I suppose you and I will have to agree to disagree on one David Tepper. I think once he can get his QB things will settle there.
David wants to win and is trying to get the winning formula. He’s had some bad coaches and QBs but I see this starting to change in light of the recent coaching hires. They have to get their QB and suspect that’s coming this draft. I like Will Levis and think they have their eyes on him. We’ll see!

Meddling does seem to be his thing so far

The rich guys seem to be like that, he also may have been extra meddling going from minority owner to “the guy”

Maybe with his 2nd coaching staff he’ll adjust from his first complete failure

Meddling does seem to be his thing so far

The rich guys seem to be like that, he also may have been extra meddling going from minority owner to “the guy”

Maybe with his 2nd coaching staff he’ll adjust from his first complete failure

It always takes a little adjustment time to settle into the position. Time will tell going forward, but jimmy jones has proven otherwise. Snyder being another…………….. Art2 seems to be the exact opposite of hands on…….

Salute the nation