• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

College Football going pro under NFL guidance

madinsomniac

Reaction score
What this will do is allow more control over player and coach movement. It also will let the nfl steer rules to what favors nfl development...

It also should consolidate talent in the top70 better... making scouting easier

There is not much point in associating the 2.5 minor league teams per NFL team with almost non-existent "educational" experiences at educational institutions.

There is not much point in associating the 2.5 minor league teams per NFL team with almost non-existent "educational" experiences at educational institutions.
Marketing... the NFL knows the schools have a preexisting fanbase... unionizing the college players exempts them from the antitrust lawsuits hitting the NCAA... and the nfl doesnt want a minor league like every other sport has, they just want a developmental league

Marketing... the NFL knows the schools have a preexisting fanbase... unionizing the college players exempts them from the antitrust lawsuits hitting the NCAA... and the nfl doesnt want a minor league like every other sport has, they just want a developmental league
Tomayto, tomahto

read a few articles on this

sounds like the ACC sat down and listened to their speil but Big 10, SEC and BIG 12 cancelled plans to meet with the group

read a few articles on this

sounds like the ACC sat down and listened to their speil but Big 10, SEC and BIG 12 cancelled plans to meet with the group
From what I seen, they arent going to have much choice...the next wave of antitrust lawsuits are going to bankrupt the NCAA. The two big conferences cant use the current model without replicating the legal problems currently in play, and if they try to go head to head with the NFL money and brand, they wont win ... they are just whistling past the graveyard, hoping their dying power structure will somehow be saved.

Someone postulated the damages the ncaa may be facing from those suits is absurdly high especially if tge other states join in.. It will be in the billions and may near a trillion dollars across everything... that February ruling was catastrophic...

so the NFL is gonna **** up college football now. Great...
Hey, at least we got to see the good stuff. I don't see it getting any better. Just too much money involved in this massive entertainment empire.

The ridiculous amount of rules that are judgment calls can slant a game easily,with offensive holding being the poster child for that. Now they added more to tackling rules. It all adds up to a lame product. For me it does.

Now college has players transferring left and right to follow the money and guaranteed playing time.

It was fun while it lasted.

When the Big 10 and SEC expanded and then NIL made it legal to pay players, it became inevitable that college football will eventually split into a top tier semi pro league that pays players and has their own playoff. Then there will be multiple lower levels that play bowl games, The Big 10 and SEC will operate like an AFC and NFC.

I expect that in the end the top tier will only have about 40 teams, maybe less. These will be the teams that can afford to pay players and compete. Mid-range teams like Michigan State, Pitt, Arkansas, etc, will eventually want to play at the lower level. They will get tired of being a farm team for the big money programs. They'll have a freshman phenom and then next year he'll play for a big money team. That will get old fast.

North Dakota State has tons of success at the FCS level. People have asked why the don't bump up the the FBS. I'm sure they could compete but would they win? Wouldn't you rather stay in the FCS and compete for championships instead of going to the FBS and marking the Weed Eater bowl as a successful season?

Maybe they will reserve 2 playoff spots for the lower level teams just to keep it interesting, but I can't see any soccer style relegation. College football doesn't work that way. A small school like Iowa State might have a great season and next year they might suck because they lose players to NFL and to transfers.

When the Big 10 and SEC expanded and then NIL made it legal to pay players, it became inevitable that college football will eventually split into a top tier semi pro league that pays players and has their own playoff. Then there will be multiple lower levels that play bowl games, The Big 10 and SEC will operate like an AFC and NFC.

I expect that in the end the top tier will only have about 40 teams, maybe less. These will be the teams that can afford to pay players and compete. Mid-range teams like Michigan State, Pitt, Arkansas, etc, will eventually want to play at the lower level. They will get tired of being a farm team for the big money programs. They'll have a freshman phenom and then next year he'll play for a big money team. That will get old fast.

North Dakota State has tons of success at the FCS level. People have asked why the don't bump up the the FBS. I'm sure they could compete but would they win? Wouldn't you rather stay in the FCS and compete for championships instead of going to the FBS and marking the Weed Eater bowl as a successful season?

Maybe they will reserve 2 playoff spots for the lower level teams just to keep it interesting, but I can't see any soccer style relegation. College football doesn't work that way. A small school like Iowa State might have a great season and next year they might suck because they lose players to NFL and to transfers.
I think most of the big ten and Sec people think thats how this is going to play out, but it probably wont... the NFL money dwarfs college money. Their net revenues are like 12 times that of the entirety of NCAA football..
people have mistakenly concluded that since the top 22 ncaa programs were more profitable than the least profitable nfl team, that would hold true once those teams have operating costs paying players.. it wont.

If the NFL puts together a league, it will be able to outpay and outsponsor virtually all big ten and SEC teams... and yes maybe ohio state, alabama and georgia could still pull top recruits... but if you tell a kid he can go to an nfl affiliated league and probably make more or a non nfl affiliated league.. what do you think is going to happen? when the bottom tier sec and big ten teams pull out and start chasing nfl money the others will follow..

Once that ruling came down two months ago, college football died for all intensive purposes... the conferences are going to fall into obsurity kicking and screaming, but their time is fading fast. Its all going pro and we know that the nfl has a 100% success rate quashing competition

Greed finally murdered amatuer athletics.

You mean like NFL Europe, USFL XFL, that spring league, and UFL? Not exactly pulling down billions in revenue. Spring leagues have been tried many times with meager success. And if you think the NFL will start a league that plays in the fall at the same time as NFL, you should think again.

You mean like NFL Europe, USFL XFL, that spring league, and UFL? Not exactly pulling down billions in revenue. Spring leagues have been tried many times with meager success. And if you think the NFL will start a league that plays in the fall at the same time as NFL, you should think again.
They already do...on different days of the week. The NFL will be competing with the NCAA, not their pro teams.

I am a HUGE college football fan, and I'm aware of a few things that I have come to grips with

1. This may be the year Lee Corso is completely phased out of College Game Day. :cry:
2. Loyalty to the program has been replaced with building a brand
3. Traditions are dying
4. Rivalries are a generation from being memories
5. Pads and hitting are diminishing at the same rate.
6. Colleges are an expensive relic and teams will be known as the Penn State Nittany Lions or Crimson Tide

I think the NFL looked at what establishing a true minor league costs and decided stealing the established college teams was a better option... they dont even have to make money on the deal... it will be cheaper than fully funding a minor league system that doesn't have a pre built fanbase in place.

I dont think its as advantageous as having a dedicated minor league for each team, but it would let them skewer rules and legal schemes to better fit player development for the pros like it used to be.

I think the NFL looked at what establishing a true minor league costs and decided stealing the established college teams was a better option... they dont even have to make money on the deal... it will be cheaper than fully funding a minor league system that doesn't have a pre built fanbase in place.

I dont think its as advantageous as having a dedicated minor league for each team, but it would let them skewer rules and legal schemes to better fit player development for the pros like it used to be.
This model includes a lot of teams on the verge of being left out and it restores a lot of regional rivalries. A lot of college football fans will simply look at that aspect of this model and compare it to what the SEC and Big 10 are trying and they won't even compare. There will be a lot of college football fans in favor of this plan.

This model includes a lot of teams on the verge of being left out and it restores a lot of regional rivalries. A lot of college football fans will simply look at that aspect of this model and compare it to what the SEC and Big 10 are trying and they won't even compare. There will be a lot of college football fans in favor of this plan.
Tape is correct that tge SEC and B10 will balk at this as long as they can... but I dont think they can ultimately keep what they have... either they will try to keep it non union and get crushed in antitrust lawsuits or tgey will take the USFL route and try to fight with an NFL backed system with large bidding wars for top recruits

Nice post, But SDSU (South Dakota State University) has won the FCS championship the last two seasons.

Just pointing that out. I get what you are saying and do agree.

Salute the nation