• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Fields not looking good in his starter opportunity

Lloyd

Reaction score
I have links that report, from eyewitnesses, how he is performing in camp, but cannot show the links so I will do my best to paraphrase directly from the link that I have read. While it has been said that he has hit on some deeper throws, the same negatives brought up about his career have returned.

1.) He needs to make the "routine throws routine." And he isn't. He still is breaking down on "gimmee plays" and missing short passes underneath. Fields is still missing those plays.
2.) He isn't making the obvious reads, leading to broken down plays. He is missing RPO plays where he should have handed the ball off and ended the play with incomplete passes instead. Not good.
3.) Missing throws. He had Pickens open but threw that ball 3 yards in front of him causing Pickens to slide but not make the catch. He had several other targets open but had the ball batted down at the LOS. 6 passes ended up incomplete because of it. He missed Muth in the EZ with an errant pass and Austin in a crosser from left to right causing him to show frustration at the pass.

As feared, Fields is not the "savior" at QB that many thought he'd be. He has stunk it up in his career and so far things don't appear very different (10-28, .357 winning %, 60% career completion, 40 TDs v. 30 ints). He just can't read the field or make the throws, even though he possesses all the physical traits, his brain just isn't there. This is his FOURTH year in the NFL. It appears Russ' calf better get better or we're in for a long season. You can't blame all his losing on the team around him.

I have links that report, from eyewitnesses, how he is performing in camp, but cannot show the links so I will do my best to paraphrase directly from the link that I have read. While it has been said that he has hit on some deeper throws, the same negatives brought up about his career have returned.

1.) He needs to make the "routine throws routine." And he isn't. He still is breaking down on "gimmee plays" and missing short passes underneath. Fields is still missing those plays.
2.) He isn't making the obvious reads, leading to broken down plays. He is missing RPO plays where he should have handed the ball off and ended the play with incomplete passes instead. Not good.
3.) Missing throws. He had Pickens open but threw that ball 3 yards in front of him causing Pickens to slide but not make the catch. He had several other targets open but had the ball batted down at the LOS. 6 passes ended up incomplete because of it. He missed Muth in the EZ with an errant pass and Austin in a crosser from left to right causing him to show frustration at the pass.

As feared, Fields is not the "savior" at QB that many thought he'd be. He has stunk it up in his career and so far things don't appear very different (10-28, .357 winning %, 60% career completion, 40 TDs v. 30 ints). He just can't read the field or make the throws, even though he possesses all the physical traits, his brain just isn't there. This is his FOURTH year in the NFL. It appears Russ' calf better get better or we're in for a long season. You can't blame all his losing on the team around him.
The negativity with some of you after two whole days is mind boggling. Only the dumbest fans thought he would be the savior right away if at all. He is a project and has all the physical tools. He needs to sit for a year and learn. Then let's see what he can do. I am not too worried about Wilson at this point. I am happy to let him sit out the early practices and give Fields work.

Last edited:
I'm not sure anyone thought Fields was going to come in and absolutely be the long-term answer. There is a reason Chicago moved on and Fields has struggled, but that isn't to say that some hoped he would turn things around with the Steelers and give the team even confidence that he could take over as the future QB.

I'm not sure anyone thought Fields was going to come in and absolutely be the long-term answer. There is a reason Chicago moved on and Fields has struggled, but that isn't to say that some hoped he would turn things around with the Steelers and give the team even confidence that he could take over as the future QB.
Well, I have friends that were hoping Fields was the "savior," the long term answer at QB. It's just not looking like it, so far. He still might be, but my guess is he is showing signs of not being the answer, showing the same ole characteristics as he has so far in his previous 3 years. He is still "flirting with" some tangibles from the physical aspect of his game, but alas, you've got to have the brain configuration to succeed, which he doesn't appear to have. He seems to possess the Joey Harrington, David Klingler, Heath Shuler, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf sort of cognitive skills: physical traits just don't matter.

The negativity with some of you after two whole days is mind boggling. Only the dumbest fans thought he would be the savior right away if at all. He is a project and has all the physical tools. He needs to sit for a year and learn. Then let's see what he can do. I am not too worried about Wilson at this point. I am happy to let him sit out the early practices and give Fields work.
He's already attempted for 3 years and just hasn't shown any improvement. When do you suppose he will? 5 years in?

He's already attempted for 3 years and just hasn't shown any improvement. When do you suppose he will? 5 years in?
I disagree. He did show flashes of improvement but on a bad team with bad coaching. He was never really given a chance to learn and get comfortable. He very well may never get there but we don't have much to lose in giving him a year on our bench and some seasoning. If we see something in him great if not buh bye.

Sounds like Fields is struggling. I don’t think anyone expects him to shine yet but it is definitely a concern. Maybe our defense is just really good.

I read that Fields made some nice throws, the defense broke up a lot of passes and put pressure on him. Ok. Do we realize that that is probably a typical training camp practice? How anyone can made a judgement on whether a guy is struggling or not out of that is beyond me.

This is where I wish we could go back to the 70s or something when there wasn't an analysis of every damn play...in camp! In camp! I sound like Iverson. Practice?

I don't know if Fields will be anything or not. But I don't think 3 days of camp practices in shorts is enough to make a judgement one way or the other.

I disagree. He did show flashes of improvement but on a bad team with bad coaching. He was never really given a chance to learn and get comfortable. He very well may never get there but we don't have much to lose in giving him a year on our bench and some seasoning. If we see something in him great if not buh bye.
I don't disagree with your overall take: He didn't cost us much and was worth the time and effort all thing considered. I'm just saying early returns are indicating that he's the same ole Fields with the same ole problems. And, right or wrong, the Bear's coaches did warn us this would happen. Sure, were only in a few practices of Summer ball, but as of right now, it's looking how they warned: failing to make routine plays look routine, missing obvious cues on where to go with the ball, missing easy throws. Hey, he could catch fire and become awesome, I am just personally not holding my breath for it. I'm personally holding out for Russ to become our #1 QB in 2024.

I read that Fields made some nice throws, the defense broke up a lot of passes and put pressure on him. Ok. Do we realize that that is probably a typical training camp practice? How anyone can made a judgement on whether a guy is struggling or not out of that is beyond me.

This is where I wish we could go back to the 70s or something when there wasn't an analysis of every damn play...in camp! In camp! I sound like Iverson. Practice?

I don't know if Fields will be anything or not. But I don't think 3 days of camp practices in shorts is enough to make a judgement one way or the other.
Fine, you choose to put nothing into the reports of Fields struggling so far. I am choosing to say where there is smoke there is fire. We will see which one of us is accurate in their prediction.

Holy ****!! Fields looks bad already after two whole ******* days on a new team learning a new offense!! Hims missed throws!!! Hims didn't check down!! Him's missed RPO!!!!

STEELERZZZ OFFENSE GONE BURN!!! LLLOYD TRY TO TELL YOU BUT YOU NO LISTEN!!!

LLOYD RIGHT...YOU WRONG!!!

LISTEN TO LLOYD!! ME HAVE INSIDERZZ!! ME HAVE LINKS!!

ALL HAIL LLOYD!!

Holy ****!! Fields looks bad already after two whole ******* days on a new team learning a new offense!! Hims missed throws!!! Hims didn't check down!! Him's missed RPO!!!!

ALL HAIL LLOYD!!
You're gonna feel mighty silly in due time. MIGHTY SILLY.

This is just cooch foaming at the mouth without doing research. Down the stretch he was playing improved football. Everyone but cooch knows it is a wait and see.

ALL HAIL LLOYD!!
He didn’t get enough attention today hence the new hate thread.

Exactly 3 days in shorts nobody should have extreme takes .

I keep hearing that Fields was hampered by a poor team and bad coaching, yet coming to the Steelers will fix that.

He is coming to a new team that also has shown that they can be a bad team with bad coaching. I don’t think Fields is going to get much more help in Pittsburg, than he got in Chicago.

This is just cooch foaming at the mouth without doing research. Down the stretch he was playing improved football. Everyone but cooch knows it is a wait and see.
Wasting more bandwidth with name calling, name calling you don't have the stones to wager on. Got it. We'll see just how "brave" you are with stating Fields QB skills in a few weeks. You will be hiding. Tigers can't change their stripes.

I keep hearing that Fields was hampered by a poor team and bad coaching, yet coming to the Steelers will fix that.

He is coming to a new team that also has shown that they can be a bad team with bad coaching. I don’t think Fields is going to get much more help in Pittsburg, than he got in Chicago.
Bingo, blammo who got my eggo?

Wasting more bandwidth with name calling, name calling you don't have the stones to wager on. Got it. We'll see just how "brave" you are with stating Fields QB skills in a few weeks. You will be hiding. Tigers can't change their stripes.
I didn’t name call that is your name/nickname. Coach/cooch. Wasting band with nah unlike you I actually pay. You have done nothing but waste bandwidth with 99 percent of your posts.

Well, I have friends that were hoping Fields was the "savior," the long term answer at QB. It's just not looking like it, so far. He still might be, but my guess is he is showing signs of not being the answer, showing the same ole characteristics as he has so far in his previous 3 years. He is still "flirting with" some tangibles from the physical aspect of his game, but alas, you've got to have the brain configuration to succeed, which he doesn't appear to have. He seems to possess the Joey Harrington, David Klingler, Heath Shuler, Akili Smith, Ryan Leaf sort of cognitive skills: physical traits just don't matter.
your friends are the only people that have ever thought fields a "Savior". No one I have ever met or talked to or have read, has Fields being close to a "savior"
what type of people do you hang out with?